• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can casual videogamers comprehend Wario Ware GC?

Chipopo

Banned
I ask because me and my freind were trying to think of good drinking games to play with the rest of our freinds...none of whom play videogames on a regular basis. WarioWare came up almost instantly.

This group of freinds enjoyed Super Monkey Ball alot, mostly Monkey Target.

So I got WarioWare with my gamefly account the other day, and after playing it myself I have to wonder if my casual freinds will have the ability to comprehend the game at all. While it is a fundamentally simple game that doesn't use more then 1 button, it does heavily rely on "videogame lingo" that I take for granted. For instance, looking for a highlighted spot on the screen to shoot a ball. Or simply knowing I'm the character that looks like Mario just because that's how it works. These things won't be readily apparent to my freinds.

So has anyone here played WarioWare multiplayer with casual gamers? I need to know if I should even bother to give it a try. Do any of the multiplayer modes cater to people who will ALWAYS fail the micro games?

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
The impression I got
Wario Ware for Gamecube is Wario Ware for GBA with mulitplayer and a couple extra stages.

If your going to be playing mostly multiplayer, it would probably be a good buy

They can understand it, you'll just get a lot of "What the fuck am I supposed to do here?"s, which is about as annoying as watching them play a Zelda game.

Chipopo

Banned
Oni Link 666 said:
They can understand it, you'll just get a lot of "What the fuck am I supposed to do here?"s, which is about as annoying as watching them play a Zelda game.

that sounds like them not understanding it ("wtf am I supposed to do?"), which is what I'm worried about. There's no time for me to explain what the fuck they're supposed to do with each mini game so I'm afraid they'll just get frustrated with the fact that they can't figure out.

They'll get it eventually. I'm just saying that they will be confused the first time they play it and since you won't have time to explain in the middle of the game it will be annoying.

BuddyC

my casual gamer friends picked up on WW, it just took them a few games to grasp the mechanics of it all. go ahead and enlighten their souls with it.

I've played Wario with some casual gamer friends and they've loved it. It does take a little time to learn how to play, but the process is fun. (Also, the game kind of lets up on the players who are doing badly.)

So, yes - but be prepared to have to evangelize it a bit.

Memles

I know that the people I've had pick it up and play it have done fairly well. I'd get each of them to take a run through the "Intro" first, though. It will give them even a vague idea of what to expect, so it isn't all a drunken blur, even when not drunk. I had a friend play through Intro and a few more, and then was fine in Multi.

BuddyC

by the way...

in some modes, the game keeps track of how well certain players are doing and gives them a corresponding difficulty level, sort of levelling the playing field when it's skilled vs newbie.

Flynn

I think all new gamers should be given a copy of Wario Ware to educate them on the basic tenets of video games.

Is it me, or do all other publishers other than Nintendo assume that people already know the language of video games?

Nintendo is doing God's work, ensuring that future generations grow up to love games.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Along with the Monkey Ball games, we've found Wario Ware GC to be one of the most most casual-friendly party games. It's simplicity means anyone will give it a go, it doesn't matter if they don't recognise Duck Hunt :)

akascream

Banned
I think everyone takes a minute to get the game.. and even then some of the mini games can throw you off at first. But if you're really worried about your friends 'getting' this game, you might try making some friends on the longer bus. :p

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
I'd recommend the Mario Party games over Wario Ware for a non-gamer gathering. The option of practice runs before you play mini-games in Mario Party make it friendlier.

That said, the disco, turtle game, and space othello modes in Wario Ware are great multiplayer drinking games.

I never thought that some of my casual friends would understand this title, but after playing it with 3 players they are completely owned. I can't imagine playing with 4 players. Perfect drinking game, along with Monkey Ball.

Brofist

It must be great to an elite gamer that understands such complexities as Wario Ware for the GC. How common folk can even begin to understand such a game is beyond me...or maybe they are busy living normal lives instead of spending 10 hrs a day in front of the TV.

Don't get me wrong I play my fair share of games, but the day I become such an elitist over video games of all things I'll quit playing altogether.

BuddyC

kpop100 said:
It must be great to an elite gamer that understands such complexities as Wario Ware for the GC. How common folk can even begin to understand such a game is beyond me...or maybe they are busy living normal lives instead of spending 10 hrs a day in front of the TV.

Don't get me wrong I play my fair share of games, but the day I become such an elitist over video games of all things I'll quit playing altogether.
?

Azih

It's not an elitist thing dude, it's just worrying that things that are second nature to someone who plays games all the time might not be for someone who doesn't play games at all.

sasimirobot

I understand your point. My casual gamer friends dont even know how to hold next-gen joysticks. Instant turn off right off the bat. When I tell them that games like Super Monkey Ball and Made in Wario only use 1-2 buttons/joypad, there is a sigh of relief.

Beers get poured, friends get owned. good times

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Wheee, if a person worrying about whether a non-gamer off the street would get confused by a rapid action - even if one button - video game where what you're supposed to do might not be 100% obvious to people who DON'T KNOW ABOUT VIDEO GAMES... triggers the "it's elitism!" response that seems increasingly common in society...

Here's a story about the wonderful, happy world of total equality:

http://instruct.westvalley.edu/lafave/hb.html

I can't wait to live there!

Chipopo

Banned
kpop100 said:

sorry :( I honestly didn't mean to offend anyone.

I was just looking for some input...

Top Bottom