• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can gaming interactively express poetic truth and serve as a cultural critique?

Am I alone in thinking it's kind of cool the way some games sort of satarize or present a game world which has enough connection with things recognizable in the physical non game world that it can also serve as a critique of mass culture, personal disposition, aesthetics, style, and human behavior? I'm not just talking a story here. I'm talking something, whatever it may be, that resonates and stimulates ones thoughts, emotions, perhaps expresses poetic truth-- it can be interactive details, sense of geometry and architecture, characters, ambiance enhancing details, expertly crafted gameplay which seems somehow organic, a unique perspective on events, cool themes, or even a cut scene; It's in the eye of the beholder.

Games have to improve in this regard. There's so much effort and technical excellence involved in the best games that it's a shame in other ways the level of artistry and expression is not equal or relevant to the level of technical excellence.

Now elect me as your leader!

Insertia

The closest current game that does that is Call of Duty. Games as a whole have a long way to go before they can be in the same league as art house movies.

ge-man

It's possible, but current trends are making it difficult. I think that the industry was closer to that goal at the beginning, when individuals could still put a game out by themselves. Today committee thinking is largely the rule, making individual artistic voices less likely to reveal themselves.

way more

I thought Deus Ex did this, constant discussions of man and politics, it was really cool. But it was done better when fewer people produced a game. Now games resemble high-budget studio films.

Keio

For a Finer World
games sort of satarize or present a game world which has enough connection with things recognizable in the physical non game world that it can also serve as a critique of mass culture, personal disposition, aesthetics, style, and human behavior?

I think that games are too honest a mirror of the state of our world and thus qualify as satire - it's a pity most people don't realize that.

Oh, and the lack of possible interactions with the game world also help. To be able to kill or buy is enough.

Insertia said:
The closest current game that does that is Call of Duty. Games as a whole have a long way to go before they can be in the same league as art house movies.

... but that doesn't make the pretzel line in Disgaea any less funny.

Prospero

Out of recent games I've played, Freedom Fighters gets pretty close, if you grew up during the Reagan years when a lot of people actually thought things like that would happen.

Top Bottom