• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can Halo 2 beat CS as the most popular online FPS? (or at least come close)

thorns

Banned
Assuming this page is reliable:
http://archive.gamespy.com/stats/

there are usually around 70k-100k players playing CS online at any given time. (and AFAIK gamespy tracks ALL servers). I don't know what SOCOM numbers are.

That's almost 10x more than the closest competition. I think it's quite unlikely that Halo 2 can beat CS, but I think it can have the second place. I think it's a given that the first few days are going to be insanely crowded on Live.

No. Halo 2 won't beat SOCOM 2 or CS. The fact that it's on XBL doesn't help. SOCOM 2 is free once you have the game. CS too.

Barnimal

Banned
Littleberu said:
No. Halo 2 won't beat SOCOM 2 or CS. The fact that it's on XBL doesn't help. SOCOM 2 is free once you have the game. CS too.

1,000,000 XBL subscribers BEFORE halo 2 even hits say otherwise. i think its pretty safe to assume that atleast 1/10th of XBLS userbase will have halo 2.

thorns

Banned
Littleberu said:

Halo 2 is supposed to come with the 2 months trial card. Anybody who has the game can comfirm/deny this, I think.

border

Yeah, with the free 2-month Xbox Live trial, I'm almost certain that Halo 2 will be the most popular online game......at least for a couple months :D

Barnimal

Banned
Andy787 said:
No chance. And deservedly so.

As great as Halo's MP is, it is no Counter-Strike.

the game wont sell 2 mil its 1st week either. 3+ mil by years end. how many copies of CS are out there?

border

If we assume that 2.5 million people buy Halo 2, then only 5% of the userbase has to be online to match or beat Counterstrike's records. Seems like an easy enough target.

Andy787

Banned
Barnimal said:
1,000,000 XBL subscribers BEFORE halo 2 even hits say otherwise. i think its pretty safe to assume that atleast 1/10th of XBLS userbase will have halo 2.
And that is in all likelyhood being conversative, but the difference is that 1/10 of XBL's userbase owning the game, does not mean that they are all playing the game at the same time, which is what the CS number is. 70-100k+ people playing at all times. If even the every single person that has XBL were to buy Halo 2, it would still be highly unlikely that the constant number would be anywhere near CS.

thorns

Banned
And it will certainly beat Socom, which sold what? 1-1.5 million? halo 2 will easily sell that much in one day. I'm just wondering if it could be in the same league as CS.

Andy787

Banned
thorns said:
Halo 2 is supposed to come with the 2 months trial card. Anybody who has the game can comfirm/deny this, I think.
Every Live game does.. Or at least all of the ones I've bought.

akascream

Banned
border said:
If we assume that 2.5 million people buy Halo 2, then only 5% of the userbase has to be online to match or beat Counterstrike's records. Seems like an easy enough target.

And how many of those individuals will be online playing Halo2 at any one time? You dont know!

SantaC

eh no. CS multiplayer is accessible to anyone that has internet (and a computer of course). They don't need any subscription to play online.

I played CS 4 years ago, and I still do today sometimes. On top of that, CS is really starting to pick up in Asia. (Starcraft and WC3 is still more popular)

MaVen Crew, a Korean clan that finished 3rd in WCG in San Francisco earlier this year said that CS is becoming more popular in Asia. I have seen some really good chinese and japanese clans too.

Competitive CS is HUGE. There are various tournaments and leuages like ESWC, CPL, Cal, SEL, EPS and WCG.

First price in one CS tournament was 100,000 grand.

Andy787

Banned
Barnimal said:
the game wont sell 2 mil its 1st week either. 3+ mil by years end. how many copies of CS are out there?
At the very least, 10 million, because you needed to have Half-Life to play CS (or at least you did, up until CS's retail release a couple years back, but even still, retail owners are the vast, vast minority).

thorns

Banned
Half-Life sold around 8 mil worldwide, and that's THE biggest PC game (except Sims, which is a different audience altogether) and has been around forever. PC games don't sell nearly as much as people think they do.

CS is extremely popular in countries that do not have console gaming (and have rampant piracy), but I think it DOES have a chance of beating CS in the US, at least for the first months or so.

you also have to remember CS has been putting up those numbers for what? Like 5 years now (if my brother's addiction is anything to go by)? And thats worldwide. I doubt Halo 2 will have that kind of impact, though it could open the door on consoles, be sort of the "Counterstrike of console games".

SantaC

thorns said:
Half-Life sold around 8 mil worldwide, and that's THE biggest PC game (except Sims, which is a different audience altogether) and has been around forever. PC games don't sell nearly as much as people think they do.

CS is extremely popular in countries that do not have console gaming (and have rampant piracy), but I think it DOES have a chance of beating CS in the US, at least for the first months or so.

dude, CS is extremley popular everywhere, piracy or not. in the US, Europe, South America, (they have some really good clans in MIBR and g3x) and now Asia. Heck Even South Africa attended a big CS tournament recently.

I have worked for several professional CS pages, and wrote articles, covered tournaments so I know what I am talking about.

Gotfrag and Fragbite are two of those sites if you don't believe me.

Andy787

Banned
Just another point; Microsoft touted it's busiest concurrent user day ever last November, with a mere 83,000 users, which accounted for an entire day, and encompassed every single XBL game.

Andy787

Banned
thorns said:
Half-Life sold around 8 mil worldwide, and that's THE biggest PC game
No, HL has sold at the least 10 million copies ww, because that is the number Valve themselves have used to promote their products. At least, I'm almost sure I've seen that number before.

*edit* Actually, you're right about this. I went and look at Sierra's page for HL2 and they list it as having sold 8 mil. I don't know why I remember seeing 10.

Kon Tiki

Banned
I think it will. For a day (9th). Then when people realize it is not as good as CS, they will then stop playing ... for good.

Nester

Hitler Stole My Potato said:
I'd be willing to bet that it'll certainly beat SOCOM 2.

Counter Strike? No way in hell.

IAWTP

Definitely not CS, but it has a chance of beating Socom II. I just hope there's plenty of Official servers up for Halo 2, like there is in Socom II.

Mashing

Umm... no... why? Because you can play CS free (and CS: Source will pwn Halo 2 in numbers of games played/number of users) and you have to pay to play Halo 2 so to speak.

Edit: Plus alot of what these other guys said

Pfucata

What Microsoft needs to do is to have the XBL coupons act like prepaid SIM cards. Instead of 2 months free, they should give me "x hours" free with each new game *or* 2 months free. People who play often will sign up for the XBL, but those who are casual online gamers can continue to enjoy XBL.

Hitler Stole My Potato said:
I'd be willing to bet that it'll certainly beat SOCOM 2.

Counter Strike? No way in hell.

Probably, but SOCOM 2 gets around 30k on most nights. I think it will probably peak up above that for a few months, but long term I don't know how well it will hold one. Microsoft is looking to have 1.5 million Live subscribers by the end of June.

thorns said:
Assuming this page is reliable:
http://archive.gamespy.com/stats/

there are usually around 70k-100k players playing CS online at any given time. (and AFAIK gamespy tracks ALL servers). I don't know what SOCOM numbers are.

That's almost 10x more than the closest competition. I think it's quite unlikely that Halo 2 can beat CS, but I think it can have the second place. I think it's a given that the first few days are going to be insanely crowded on Live.

NO.

Xbox live != not free

CS online = free.

thorns said:

Still, you need to have a credit card to suscribe to XBL. How many kids parents are gonna do this?

Ninja Scooter said:
you also have to remember CS has been putting up those numbers for what? Like 5 years now (if my brother's addiction is anything to go by)? And thats worldwide. I doubt Halo 2 will have that kind of impact, though it could open the door on consoles, be sort of the "Counterstrike of console games".

It's called SOCOM. Where have you been?

human5892

Queen of Denmark
border said:
The problem with that logic is that Xbox Live as a whole only represents a very small fraction of the Xbox's total userbase. Therefore, a great deal of those 2.5 million don't even have the possibility of going online in the first place.

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
That would be pretty funny for Microsoft. Halo 2 had better be more popular than SOCOM online, or else it'd be a terrible embarrassment.

SKluck

Banned
It's hard to believe how many people are still playing CS1.6. CSS is 50x better, yet 1.6ers outnumber CSSers by like 14 to 1. Maybe they just don't want to buy on steam.

FYI, about 95,000 people are playing some form of CS right now.

Make that 95,001 :D.

border said:
5% will "be online", thanks.

We're talking SIMULTANEOUS connections, thanks :D

It might get over 100k for the first couple of weeks, but we'll have to see how well it can hold on.

If it gets the numbers some here are saying, then ABSOLUTELY EVERY OTHER XBOX GAME is going to die for the next 6 months on the Xbox.

SKluck said:
It's hard to believe how many people are still playing CS1.6. CSS is 50x better, yet 1.6ers outnumber CSSers by like 14 to 1. Maybe they just don't want to buy on steam.

FYI, about 95,000 people are playing some form of CS right now.

Make that 95,001 :D.
I hope it stays that way. Right now, I'm actually a decent Source player. If all those people started played Source, I'd be fucked.

Edit: And there's basically no chance of Halo 2 reaching CS level of online gamers.

Rorschach

CS has been number one so long and undisputed, that articles mention games to be "number one online game (besides CS of course)." I think gamespy took CS off their top games being played list too.

No, it won't. It will be side on side or even bigger than SOCOM for a long time, so really major for the growing console online communities.

thorns

Banned
Well CS is huge in europe, and Halo is not so big in europe, much less live... So I would say Halo 2 has a good chance of topping CS during EU off hours.

Top Bottom