• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can someone think up of a PSP game worth buying?

I never considered it seriously, but now that it's going for 200$, I'm considering, but out of this:

Tiger Woods PGA Tour
Need for Speed Underground Rivals
Vampire Chronicle: The Chaos Tower
Shin Sangoku Musou
Mahjong Taikai
Mahjong Kakutou Club
Metal Gear Acid
Kollon
Puyo Puyo Fever
Doko demo issho
Minna no Golf Portable
Puzzle Bobble Pocket
Kotoba no puzzle mojipittan daijiten
Ridge Racers
Rengoku The Tower of Purgatory
Eiyu Densetsu Gagharv Trilogy
Lumines
Armored Core: Formula Front
AI Igo
AI Shogi
AI Mahjong

I dont care about what I recognize and I dont know anything about what I dont recognize.

What game are you most excited about and why?

personally I dont care for GT4 or FF7, but I'm very curious about the 2D fighting games on it. What fighting game is coming for PSP?

Metal Gear Acid has me interested.

I would love a super highres 2D game of some sort....come on Castlevania!

Though, th only game I really want (thats been announced and shown) for the DS is Advance Wars, so neither handheld has really given me a reason to buy them...

...except they both look so damn good. arghh.

Jonnyram

Lumines, Ridge Racers and Mojipittan are the main ones I'm interested in.
MinGol is nothing without the online experience now I've tried it.
Metal Gear Acid is borderline for me... story might not be so hot.

Quadrophenic said:
Metal Gear Acid has me interested.

I would love a super highres 2D game of some sort....come on Castlevania!

Though, th only game I really want (thats been announced and shown) for the DS is Advance Wars, so neither handheld has really given me a reason to buy them...

...except they both look so damn good. arghh.

Advance Wars DS and an announced Castlevania DS is a bit more appealing to me than Metal Gear Acid right now, not to mention Animal Crossing DS, EDIT: AND WarioWare.

Everyone is really jumping for joy for the great hardware, and I agree, I am interested at that price, but have we completely forgotten the games?

Grubdog

Banned
I'm interested in seeing how Viewtiful Joe PSP turns out. That launch lineup is pretty bad though.. i'd consider Lumines out of them, but still, I don't really know much about it. I'll take a wait and see approach. Ridge Racer would be a safe bet, but I don't think it's really worth buying the system for.

Mashing

Nothing, although with the low price point I'll probably pick one up at launch to avoid any kind of shortage after the launch.

The DS has some games coming out that I want though... Advance Wars DS is to die for.

Games I would like to see on PSP:

NBA Live 2005
ESPN NHL 2K5
Street Fighter III/Collection
Soul Calibur 2
Intelligence Qube
GoldenEye: Rogue Agent
OutRun 2
Virtua Fighter 4

I suspect you'll see more Western game announcements and details as the US launch approaches.

Arcticfox

The game I am really looking forward to is Makai Wars, but who knows when that will come out. If I buy the PSP at launch I will get Lumines, Ridge Racers and Darkstalkers, which should hold me over until the second wave of games start arriving.

neptunes

here's what interests me

-WRC (SCEE/Evolution)
-Persona (Atlus)
-Lumines (Bandai/Q Entertainment)
-Ape Escape P (SCEI)
-Ape Escape Academy (SCEI)
-Popolocrois Story (SCEI) <--- never released here
-Ridge Racers (Namco)
-Ys: The Ark of Napishtam (Konami/KDE)
-Naruto (Bandai) <--- hopefully a fighting game
-Makkai Wars (Nippon Ichi)
-Devil May Cry series (Capcom)
-wreckless
-Wipeout Pure (SCEE/Studio Liverpool)
-World Soccer Winning Eleven (Konami/KCET)

not to mention a lot of developers have signed on and claimed they are developing games and haven't announced those games yet.

Like rockstar north, criterion and factor 5(well they said they were impressed)

I hope psp games will be available for rent at blockbuster and the like. :p

Advance Wars DS > everything else announced for next year on all consoles.

But anyways, the point is that in my opinion, both the PSP's and the DS's launch line up sucks.

Mashing said:
Nothing, although with the low price point I'll probably pick one up at launch to avoid any kind of shortage after the launch.

The DS has some games coming out that I want though... Advance Wars DS is to die for.
I fail to see what looks interesting about Advance Wars DS. It appears to be exactly like the GBA version.

How could you people NOT want Mario 64 DS and Metroid Hunters over Advance Wars DS? It's the prime example of games that take advantage of the hardware (Metroid especially with PC FPS movement and precision), that have me excited. Wario Ware is the other one. But really, I haven't seen anything on Advance Wars that would indicate anything beyond the two GBA versions. Again, Hunters is where it's at. What the demo video again. Notice how fucking awesome the movement is and how responsive the controls are. A beautiful example of something the PSP will never be able to do: PC-like FPS gaming.

Quadrophenic said:
Advance Wars DS > everything else announced for next year on all consoles.

But anyways, the point is that in my opinion, both the PSP's and the DS's launch line up sucks.

Agreed, unless Mawaru Made in Wario is a japanese DS lauch title, the US lauch line up is definitively bare bones though.

jiggle

I absofuckinglutely cannot wait until Popoplocrois Story comes out. Even more so than Final Fantasy CC.

Besides that, looking forward to pretty much all the rpgs announced so far(surprise surprise). I may even venture outside of that genre with a few of the other games too:)

Insertia said:
It sounds like your taste is suited for Gameboy/Nintendo type stuff. Pass on PSP. :)

I like Advance Wars and Wario Ware but that's just me. I also like alot of my Xbox and PS2 games. What's your point?

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Some thoughts that no one cares about :

Tiger Woods PGA Tour

A portable version of a very nice golfing game! Hopefully translates well, but maybe redundant given Mongol is also in the launch.

Need for Speed Underground Rivals

Looked shockingly bad at TGS, and if it remains in that state, should be avoided.

Vampire Chronicle: The Chaos Tower

Looks stunning on the screen, some questions about how well the d-pad will work, or how 6 buttons will feel with the triggers. Still, very nice.

Shin Sangoku Musou

Looks to be a segmented/slightly cut down version of the PS2 game. If you liked the hack and slash of the original, then it might be a good game to get. Will be nice if Koei have added new characters/areas/campaigns.

Metal Gear Acid
I think this is going to be the shock game on the PSP. Instantly applaudable for being different, it looks like it could be genuinely compelling.

Kollon
... sounds like ass! ;)

Puyo Puyo Fever
8 player wireless support is pretty exciting, but i'm a bit Puyo-ed out.

Minna no Golf Portable
Star buy really. It's a no brainer for top quality golf on the go.

Puzzle Bobble Pocket
Really nice Puzzle Bobble at last. First game i tried at TGS and it didn't disappoint.

Kotoba no puzzle mojipittan daijiten
Japanese knowledge required, but man, what a fun game. Already played it to death on the GBA, so probably won't bother, but if you haven't tried it and you know some japanese, it's one of the best puzzle games EVER.

Ridge Racers
Come now! As long as those graphics maintain with extra cars, and the handling is as it should be, then my PSP screen will require a windscreen wiper to keep the drool/splooge off the screen.

Lumines
Simple game but super stylish. The game i'm buying the system for. Awesome stuff.

Miburou

I would get:

Ridge Racer V
Metal Gear Ac!d
Vampire Chronicle
Lumines
Minna no Golf

I think the launch lineup is pretty damn good, actually.

Drexon

Banned
I'm getting:

MGS Acid
Probably not Puyo Pop
Fighting Jam

And I want a random must-get game that I can play with random PSP fan I just met on the bus, a game like that would rock.

See, if I buy a PSP it'll be to show people and go HOLY SHIT LOOK A PSP and they'll go WHOA. So I'd need at least one game that has shit hot 3D graphics. Except I also want to, you know, have fun playing it too.

...maybe Ridge Racers? But I generally dislike racing games.
...Metal Gear Acid? But it's a card game in Japanese, which will not impress other people.
...Tiger Woods? I hate golf.

Mingol? Maybe I can learn to like golf?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Armored Core:Formula Front sounds interesting since it won't be about direct control of your mech but rather programming the mech for success in arena combat against other programmed mechs, not unlike Carnage Heart, for example.

And Tower of Purgatory is gaining my interest as an underdog title.

Brofist

The launch lineup is pretty good, comparitively speaking. I mean looking back at past launches, and forward to the DS launch, none stand out as much more impressive. To me (US) DC still had the best launch lineup, but this looks like it might be my 2nd.

The problem is with any hardware launch is not every genre is represented, You don't get many launch day RPGs for instance, so some gamers will always see it as diappointing.

Insertia

Date of Lies said:
I like Advance Wars and Wario Ware but that's just me. I also like alot of my Xbox and PS2 games. What's your point?

There is no point. I figured if not a single game interest you, DS or GBA would be more inline with your taste. :)

snapty00

Banned
I am so fucking getting Ridge Racer. That's going to be some good stuff if they don't go out of their way to screw it up.

I have a feeling that Metal Gear Acid is going to be fun. It's beginning to sound like it's not just a half-assed card game. It looks like ass, but it does look interesting.

Maybe Puyo Pop, but I'm just about sick of the game now. Fever for GBA was the first and probably last version I'll play. Sure, it's pretty fun, but I can't afford to throw money away like that for a game that likely hasn't changed fundamentally.

And finally, I want to get Ape Escape and WipeOut, of course.

kaching said:
Armored Core:Formula Front sounds interesting since it won't be about direct control of your mech but rather programming the mech for success in arena combat against other programmed mechs, not unlike Carnage Heart, for example.

And Tower of Purgatory is gaining my interest as an underdog title.

Wow, way to pick the two worst games at TGS. ;)

AC:FF ... sounds interesting, but in practice was kind of boring. Maybe the system was gutted/stripped down to nothing for the TGS demo, but I dunno.

Tower of Purgatory looked like unmitigated ass.

Insertia

snapty00 said:
I have a feeling that Metal Gear Acid is going to be fun. It's beginning to sound like it's not just a half-assed card game. It looks like ass, but it does look interesting.

IAWTP.
I think MGS Acid might actually turn out well. I had doubts when it was annouced, but it looks like it might actually be worthwhile.

Eh, if Ridge Racer DS can perfectly bring the N64 version to life with new tracks and cars then I'd much prefer that over an RV port. Plus, wireless and the option to use touchscreen increases my interest. I loved the N64 RR, ranked among Rage Racer as my all-time fav arcade racing game.

kpop100 said:
The launch lineup is pretty good, comparitively speaking. I mean looking back at past launches, and forward to the DS launch, none stand out as much more impressive. To me (US) DC still had the best launch lineup, but this looks like it might be my 2nd.

The problem is with any hardware launch is not every genre is represented, You don't get many launch day RPGs for instance, so some gamers will always see it as diappointing.

Call me insane, but this line-up has just no killer app, nothing that sticks out at all, I mean really, I have trouble picking anything from that list. Feel free to call me insane, of course.

Anyway, I like the Metal Gear series for sure, which is why I would have LOVED a full fledged Metal Gear game in my pocket with VR missions, but I'm still interested at the approach, somewhat, but it's not something I'm highly anticipating.

bobafett

Insertia said:
I don't know. Ridge Racer DS is looking like ass. I'm not expecting much from it.

I've played it. It sucks. Unless you're willing to drive your car with your finger in the lower screen.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
JackFrost2012 said:
Wow, way to pick the two worst games at TGS. ;)
From the ashes of shitty demos have risen some of my favorite games...not exactly a rule to live by, but a pleasant surprise from time to time.

Insertia said:
There is no point. I figured if not a single game interest you, DS or GBA would be more inline with your taste. :)

Don't get me wrong, I'm only basing myself on the Japan launch titles, which is why they don't tell me anything. However I'm expecting atleast a handful of titles that I'll be interested in for the US launch in may, seeing as how they'll have more time to prepare. But I dont know what those titles are. So while I understand the excitement for the lower than expected PSP price, even I like the idea of the cool hardware for that cheap, but it's just that there is currently zero games that I want to play on the 'sexy' PSP. Which is why I want to know what you guys are anticipating, seeing as how I may have overlooked something.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Date of Lies said:
Call me insane, but this line-up has just no killer app, nothing that sticks out at all, I mean really, I have trouble picking anything from that list. Feel free to call me insane, of course.

Anyway, I like the Metal Gear series for sure, which is why I would have LOVED a full fledged Metal Gear game in my pocket with VR missions, but I'm still interested at the approach, somewhat, but it's not something I'm highly anticipating.

same here - nothing appeals to me whatsoever. however - thats not gonna stop me buying this thing because i know better stuff WILL come out and i'm a sucker for technology :p - i think as an obligatory 'with system' purchase ill pick up puyo pop too, as that's probably the only one i can play due to my complete cluelessness about the japanese language

Is it crazy to think the PSP might quickly get NES/SNES/Genny/arcade/N64 emulators? That USB 2.0 port and the Memory Stick media are practically begging for the unit to be hacked.

jiggle

soundwave05 said:
Is it crazy to think the PSP might quickly get NES/SNES/Genny/arcade/N64 emulators? That USB 2.0 port and the Memory Stick media are practically begging for the unit to be hacked.

PS1 emulator would be so fucking awesome. So will SNES. Never had time to play those fan-subbed games for SNES. But I totally would on a portable when I have nothing better to do outside.

Sengoku Cannon
Princess Crown
King's Field
Ridge Racers
Legend of Heroes III: The White Witch
Persona (whatever it ends up being)

That should be more than enough to cover my interests.

Top Bottom