• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can someone think up of a PSP game worth buying?

Brofist

:lol I don't understand, no one should need to be prodded into buying a $200-250 piece of electronics. If you aren't interested don't buy it, can it be any more simple.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
kpop100 said:
:lol I don't understand, no one should need to be prodded into buying a $200-250 piece of electronics. If you aren't interested don't buy it, can it be any more simple.

yeh see this is where my brain fails me . i see the machine and go 'i want it' ... then... 'but what do i want to play on it? - nothing as yet.. *looks back at machine* 'but i want it'

and so on and so forth :p its a battle i know i must lose :D

Miburou

DCharlie said:
Kotoba no puzzle mojipittan daijiten
Japanese knowledge required, but man, what a fun game. Already played it to death on the GBA, so probably won't bother, but if you haven't tried it and you know some japanese, it's one of the best puzzle games EVER.

How much knowledge are we talking about?

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Only games I find interesting so far are Ridge Racer, Metal Gear Acid and Minna no Golf. And I agree that Metal Gear Acid could be a surprise title. On the plus side is the almost total lack of any hype (compared to other MGS titles, for example). And well, the concept seems more suitable for handheld gaming. I wouldn't want to watch codec dialogue and cutscenes for 10 mins if I'm to play a handheld MGS. A turnbased game seems more reasonable, we'll see how the balance between gameplay and story turns out.

border

Stealth troll (verb) stelth trol
--to post under the pretense of advice-seeking only for purposes of complaining or pointing out perceived faults. Other false pretenses of the stealth troll may include sale of console hardware, questions about game length or graphical glitching.

EX: Remember when that guy stealth trolled by asking for a good PSP game, but then immediately started harping about how the system didn't have any good games?

jiggle

border said:
EX: Remember when that guy stealth trolled by asking for a good PSP game, but then immediately started harping about how the system didn't have any good games?

And then repeat it in an even longer post in the exact same thread? My memory escapes me at the moment.

I always thought it might be cool if they made an MGS game just centered on boss-fights/duels.

You could have scenarios like trying to hunt your foe down in a swamp or bamboo field. Kind of like a death match I suppose, but with MGS mechanics.

callous

I don't see how you could possibly go wrong with Ridge Racer. Same goes for Puzzle Bobble, but it's hardly the kind of game I'd pick to show off my new PSP to myself.

Socreges

Banned
Quadrophenic said:
Metal Gear Acid has me interested.

I would love a super highres 2D game of some sort....come on Castlevania!

Though, th only game I really want (thats been announced and shown) for the DS is Advance Wars, so neither handheld has really given me a reason to buy them...

...except they both look so damn good. arghh.
Yeah, what he said.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
"How much knowledge are we talking about"

forming words from characters, and sometimes thinking ahead (some of the empty tiles move and you have to create larger words from more characters)

some levels are easy (just create the same word over and over in a grid, say , 8 times)

some are very hard (whole segments rotate and you have to create 4+ character words.

Puzzle Bobble is about all I can go with here for myself as I'm in the same boat. I'm a little weary about a PSP purchase of it as well, as I'm sure it's only a matter of time before a DS one is announced. But other than that, I can't find a title I want yet. Hopefully the US launch won't be nearly a mirror of this one.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Ridge Racers - haven't been disappointed in anything titled ridge racer from Namco yet (well maybe 4 a little).

Minna no golf - Tiger woods is fun, but this is funner

Any idea if Metal Gear Acid will be very text heavy?

Not sure about puzzle bobble and puyo, simply because they are on every bloody platform, and its not exactly state of the art. Do I want them again?

Actually I take back my last post. I finally went through and really looked at the titles set for launch. Vampire Chronicle really has me interested and it's definitely something that makes me want to get the system. I've always been a casual 2D fighter fan, and it just looks snazzy. I know so little about the series though, but I hope there's a chance of it making it here at launch as well.

But from that list, I gotta go with Vampire Chronicle and Puzzle Bobble, which is more than enough to keep me busy for a while.

ourumov

Shin Ridge Racer
Looks good...just keep the RRV gameplay and it will ROCK.

Vampire Savior PSP
I love the series...About fucking time we get decent 2D on a portable system.

Lumines
As some said, stylish as hell :) I need it.

Screenboy

Doom_Bringer said:
SquareEnix annouced yesterday that they are making a new FF7 game for PSP. Its due in 2006.

Yeah, that don't mean it will be good. If it was a FFVII port/remake I would definatly buy a PSP, but it might be as crap as that Dirge Of Cerberus (looks).

-SB

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
If you prefer Nintendo style games, why would anyone's additional insight really change your perception of the games? Honestly, I don't think the launch line-up is that great. I'll get the Metal Gear game and Hot Shots golf to start probably. Maybe Ridge Racer if it's decent. But much like the consoles, in a year or so, I suspect the Sony system will have a far more interesting choice of games than their competition.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Musashi Wins! said:
If you prefer Nintendo style games, why would anyone's additional insight really change your perception of the games? Honestly, I don't think the launch line-up is that great. I'll get the Metal Gear game and Hot Shots golf to start probably. Maybe Ridge Racer if it's decent. But much like the consoles, in a year or so, I suspect the Sony system will have a far more interesting choice of games than their competition.

Why? what is the basis for this?

jarrod

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
Ridge Racers = New RR
Not exactly... from what I understand it's more a compilation/mish mash of the previous RRs. For what it's worth, Namco insists it's a "new game"... but they're saying the same thing about RRDS. :/

Not that it matters, I'll be picking up Ridge Racers at US launch (and avoiding that DS travesty). :)

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Any word about a Katamari Damacy port for teh PSP?

If they do that, the sealed fate of the already doomed DS will be encased in lead and hurled into the sun.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
if ridge racers contains the rave racer tracks, i think i might prefer that to an entirely new game. but the arcade racing scene has been so dismal lately that i'd be grateful for practically any ridge racer at all. practically. i still fart in the general direction of the ds version.

and while this thread is a thinly disguised troll, i encourage everyone to try hot shots golf. it's the best game ever. and requires no appreciation of golf to enjoy.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
sp0rsk said:
Why? what is the basis for this?

I think the PS2 has a far more diverse line-up than the GC. I suspect, if it initially does ok, that the PSP will end up the same. I don't claim this as fact. There's no solid evidence that what is true of the consoles will be true of the handheld, I just suspect it will be.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Even though the PSP is getting ports/remakes like crazy, it's already showing the support the system has with the likes of Capcom, Namco, Konami, Square Enix, Koei, etc. on board. Look at the DS launch. There's already a lack of third party titles that are going to be available for it; it's just like how it is with the GC and PS2 now. PSP already looks to be getting more support.

Nick Laslett said:
I have ordered Minna golf, MGS Acid, Ridge Racer & Lumines.

I would like to order Dynasty Warriors but was afraid it wouldn't be English friendly.

I'm kind of assuming the other all are!

I pre-ordered a PSP, memory stick, Vampire Chronicle, Lumines, Shin Sangoku Musou, and Ridge Racer. Metal Gear Acid is probably not going to be very English-friendly, so I'll wait for the U.S. release (if the game is actually worth it anyway, that is). I might pre-order Minna No Golf; still not sure yet....depends on how much cash I can save up between now and December.

The two must-buys for me are Vampire Chronicle and Ridge Racer, with Shin Sangoku Musou in a close third.

So, with PSP priced this low guys, what do you think? Is Nintendo going to be in trouble now?

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
Stinkles said:
Any word about a Katamari Damacy port for teh PSP?

If they do that, the sealed fate of the already doomed DS will be encased in lead and hurled into the sun.
How would the controls translate to the PSP? D-pad + Face buttons?

jarrod

Banned
Lyte Edge said:
Even though the PSP is getting ports/remakes like crazy, it's already showing the support the system has with the likes of Capcom, Namco, Konami, Square Enix, Koei, etc. on board. Look at the DS launch. There's already a lack of third party titles that are going to be available for it; it's just like how it is with the GC and PS2 now. PSP already looks to be getting more support.
Er, that's pretty simplistic (and inaccurate btw) view of things considering all those developers are also onboard DS. Taking a look at the announced games for each from them...

Capcom DS
01 MegaMan Battle Network
02 Objection Court
03 Viewtiful Joe

Capcom PSP
01 DarkStalkers Chronicle: The Choas Tower
02 Devil May Cry
03 Viewtiful Joe

Namco DS
01 Mr Driller: Drill Spirits
02 Pac'N Roll
03 Pac-Pix
04 Ridge Racer DS
05 New RPG

Namco PSP
01 Mojibittan
02 Namco Museum
03 Ridge Racers
04 Taiko: Drum Master
05 Tales of Eternia

Konami DS
01 Boktai
02 Castlevania
03 Dragon Booster
04 Frogger 2005
05 Gambare Goemon
06 PowerPro Yakyuu
07 Prince of Tennis: 2005 Crystal Drive
08 Survival Kids
09 Yu-Gi-OH! The Nightmare Troubador
10 Vandal Hearts
11 WiNX
12 World Soccer Winning Eleven

Konami PSP
01 Coded Arms
02 Frogger 2005
03 Mahjong Kakutou
04 Metal Gear AC!D
05 PowerPro Yakyuu
06 World Soccer Winning Eleven
07 Ys: The Ark of Napishtam
08 New Simulation RPG

Square Enix DS
01 Dragon Warrior Monsters
02 Dragon Warrior Slime Morimori
03 Egg Monster Hero
04 Final Fantasy III
05 Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicle
06 Secret of Mana

Square Enix PSP
01 Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core

Koei DS
01 Dynasty Warriors
02 Mahjong Taikai
03 Rekishi Simulation

Koei DS
01 Dynasty Warriors
02 Mahjong Taikai
03 Romance of the Three Kingdoms

...overall support seems fairly split, except for Square Enix who's overwhelmingly behind DS. I'd also say overall, the more significant IPs (in terms of sales) seem to be going to DS.

Lyte Edge said:
So, with PSP priced this low guys, what do you think? Is Nintendo going to be in trouble now?

I dont think they're in trouble at all. PSP is already giving sort of a Game Gear vibe. Big system, battery hog. Even with the relatively low price. I dont think it's gonna go over too well with handheld crowd.

border

Defensor said:
How would the controls translate to the PSP? D-pad + Face buttons?
No. You would just have the ball move in the direction that you press the analog. A.K.A. "Fun controls" (rather than tank controls). Suddenly the PSP version is superior! =)

luxsol

I'm questioning whether I should buy a PSP too. The hardware is just so damn hot that i just may buy it even though none of the games really interest me. The only game that does interest me is that Dark Stalkers/Vampire Savior game but it was announced that Capcom is making a VS game for PS2 now. I'd rather play my games on a console than on a handheld (however, I am buying an NDS for the Mario 64 NDS game (never owned it because i liked the series in 2d, but enjoyed it so i might as well buy it)). Everything else looks like a downgraded Playstation series game (Metal Gear card game? ugh. A non-action Armored Core game? feh) or port (Ridge Racer).
Course, it only "looks" like they maybe ports or downgraded versions and may come out to be something really special (still hate the MG card game though) when they actually come out.

Hopefully, a game does come out that i may like... to give me an excuse to buy this tempting machine.

mr2mike

Banned
Considering I reluctantly skipped Disgea and co, Makkai Wars could be an excuse to pick up a PSP and have some pocketable nippon ichi love.

If it comes out in the US ;)

What I really want is that duck translator thing.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
jarrod said:
Er, that's pretty simplistic (and inaccurate btw) view of things considering all those developers are also onboard DS. Taking a look at the announced games for each from them...

Capcom DS
01 MegaMan Battle Network
02 Objection Court
03 Viewtiful Joe

Capcom PSP
01 DarkStalkers Chronicle: The Choas Tower
02 Devil May Cry
03 Viewtiful Joe

Namco DS
01 Mr Driller: Drill Spirits
02 Pac'N Roll
03 Pac-Pix
04 Ridge Racer DS
05 New RPG

Namco PSP
01 Mojibittan
02 Namco Museum
03 Ridge Racers
04 Taiko: Drum Master
05 Tales of Eternia

Konami DS
01 Boktai
02 Castlevania
03 Dragon Booster
04 Frogger 2005
05 Gambare Goemon
06 PowerPro Yakyuu
07 Prince of Tennis: 2005 Crystal Drive
08 Survival Kids
09 Yu-Gi-OH! The Nightmare Troubador
10 Vandal Hearts
11 WiNX
12 World Soccer Winning Eleven

Konami PSP
01 Coded Arms
02 Frogger 2005
03 Mahjong Kakutou
04 Metal Gear AC!D
05 PowerPro Yakyuu
06 World Soccer Winning Eleven
07 Ys: The Ark of Napishtam
08 New Simulation RPG

Square Enix DS
01 Dragon Warrior Monsters
02 Dragon Warrior Slime Morimori
03 Egg Monster Hero
04 Final Fantasy III
05 Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicle
06 Secret of Mana

Square Enix PSP
01 Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core

Koei DS
01 Dynasty Warriors
02 Mahjong Taikai
03 Rekishi Simulation

Koei DS
01 Dynasty Warriors
02 Mahjong Taikai
03 Romance of the Three Kingdoms

...overall support seems fairly split, except for Square Enix who's overwhelmingly behind DS. I'd also say overall, the more significant IPs (in terms of sales) seem to be going to DS.

Well, save for Tales of Eternia (Then again, Namco is making an RPG for the DS... Of course, they have quite a few RPG franchises, and since they simply said it was a new RPG, it'll probably be something new, not a franchise) and Metal Gear Acid.

mr2mike said:
Considering I reluctantly skipped Disgea and co, Makkai Wars could be an excuse to pick up a PSP and have some pocketable nippon ichi love.

If it comes out in the US ;)

What I really want is that duck translator thing.

Wait, Makai Wars is a SRPG? Why didn't anyone fucking say so?

See, all these people calling me a troll are too busy being babies to answer a simple question.

FACT: I am interested in PSP's hardware.
FACT: None of the games announced SEEM to interest me.
WHY I MADE THIS THREAD: To see what other people are interested in to see if I overlooked something.

"Oooohh SUPER STEALTH TROLL!!!!" put that in my fucking tag.

Top Bottom