• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spike

I don't really have a choice since I have no public transit to take me to BestBuy right now anyway. I'm willing to bet someone will scan the cards and we'll be able to download them at some point; otherwise, people will drive themselves insane trying to collect all the exclusive ones.

Are they really exclusive, though? Because when you look at the pictures of the EB 'exclusive' cards, they show an Eggplant Wizard card, and I'm guessing there is no way they would make him an exclusive card that can only be had via preorder.

I wish NoA would take a page from NoE and give out a 24-card starter set like they are...

iphys

Well EB is claiming their set is an EB exclusive, and I've heard it has 5 cards vs someone told me the BB set only has 3 cards, so it sounds like they must be different -- whether individual cards are actually exclusive or it's just the combination of cards that you get that's exclusive remains to be seen.

Cake Boss

Banned
Yeah need one for the SLim, fucking ridiculous how they only offer the 250gb and its expensive as hell, almost as much as another console.

fucking Microsoft.

Cheerilee

Yeah need one for the SLim, fucking ridiculous how they only offer the 250gb and its expensive as hell, almost as much as another console.

fucking Microsoft.

You could build/flash your own 250GB Xbox drive for around $95-100. You used to be able to do it for around $50, but hard drive prices skyrocketed after the factories got wrecked in a flood.

If you're okay with a small hard drive, you can get one from Superstore and pop it out of the fat enclosure and into a slim one (I'd suggest the 60GB because the 20GB is too small to reasonably install games). The empty plastic case costs around five bucks from Deal Extreme. You'll probably also need a tamper-proof screwdriver.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I took and damn hacksaw to the case instead of buying the torq screwdriver. Inside, it's normal screws. Works fine on my secondary system. Flashing a new WD Black on my primary was easy too.

Noticed yesterday, up to 75% off HMV games and accessories. That was the Spring Garden Road store in Halifax. Still some good titles there for PSP/DS/PS3.

You could build/flash your own 250GB Xbox drive for around $95-100. You used to be able to do it for around $50, but hard drive prices skyrocketed after the factories got wrecked in a flood.

If you're okay with a small hard drive, you can get one from Superstore and pop it out of the fat enclosure and into a slim one (I'd suggest the 60GB because the 20GB is too small to reasonably install games). The empty plastic case costs around five bucks from Deal Extreme. You'll probably also need a tamper-proof screwdriver.

quck unrelated question to you, mate, who is that in your Avatar?

Lots of Zellers stores start their clearance on Wednesday.

http://www.zellers.com/liquidation/en/default.aspx

Has anyone been to the sales that have already started and have an idea of the discounts being offered?

So it begins, I guess Target will finally be replacing Zellers?

As for me, I've considering to buying a full PSP replacement case.

wiisingonline has some parts, but I'm hoping I can somehow get one to make mine look like this:

26.jpg

Any place online at least that can offer this in parts? I'm not going to be super picky and will settle for a white front with a blue back with blue buttons, that'll look sexy. :D

Icing on the cake if I can get the MHP3 thumbstick on it, the main one sucks... I don't think it's possible to get a 3DS circle pad instead, it may not fit?

Finally, are there stores that will help put it all together? Because I don't think I'm in the position to do it myself.

isny

napkin dispenser
Weird there's not a single Zellers in my city listed. :(

Only one in Ottawa too. I'm sure there will be more, it's just a matter of time.

I actually spoke with a friend who works for Target in the U.S., and they said we'll be getting everything the U.S. stores have, almost carbon copies of their stores, so none of the Zellers look or merch will stay. (But we'll finally be getting cheap Icees!)

Darn, I was hoping one here in Victoria would be going (especially the Hillside location) in favour of Target as Zellers is basically just a seedier, dirtier Walmart.

Oh well.

They are remodeling a lot of that mall you would think it would be the perfect time to change it up.

Kazerei

Banned
Lots of Zellers stores start their clearance on Wednesday.

http://www.zellers.com/liquidation/en/default.aspx

Has anyone been to the sales that have already started and have an idea of the discounts being offered?

According to an RFDer, mostly 10% off, some 20%, and few 30%. Maybe the discounts will progressively increase? But this will probably end up like the Blockbuster closing sales, where idiots bought everything before the deals actually became good >:\

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
3 locations in BC. Dawson Creek, Penticton, and Prince Rupert what the crap.

For reference Ontario, that's like having the only stores on sale be the cities bordering Manitoba.

But I have to travel half an hour to reach the nearest Toronto location. HALF AN HOUR

I'm sorry, BC

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!

For reference Ontario, that's like having the only stores on sale be the cities bordering Manitoba.
Stop exaggerating, Penticton is like a 4 hour drive from Vancouver. :p

kennah

There is only one city near the border of Manitoba. Heck it wasnt even a city until 12 years ago.

I was born there

So are these all becoming Targets, or are they just shutting them down for good?

Seems unclear; RFD has a store list with details on which stores are reopening as Target, but many just say "pending", a few say "Jan 2013" and many stores aren't even on the zellers.com liquidation page. It's entirely possible they will shut every one down and do a fresh Target launch next year, though. Sounds like a lot of lease negotiation.

TheExodu5

Banned
$637+tax on Acer 32" on either last week of December 2006 or first week of December 2007 here. I can't believe it's been 5 years already @_@

I paid $600 for a Sony 32" 1080p TV less than 2 years ago. I bought at just the wrong time...by that Christmas you could get them sub-$400.

Cheerilee

Seems unclear; RFD has a store list with details on which stores are reopening as Target, but many just say "pending", a few say "Jan 2013" and many stores aren't even on the zellers.com liquidation page. It's entirely possible they will shut every one down and do a fresh Target launch next year, though. Sounds like a lot of lease negotiation.

AFAIK, the current Zellers stores can be grouped into three categories.

Target apparently looked at the locations and lease terms of all the Zellers stores, and they picked all the nice ones, and they're wanting to swoop in under the current lease conditions. These stores (apparently the majority of Zellers) will be converted into Targets. It seems unlikely that they'll want to re-negotiate any leases, because the leases were already a major factor when they picked their stores, and they shouldn't want to shake things up.

Then there's apparently a number of overpriced stinkers that Target didn't want to touch, so they left them behind with HBC, and it's up to HBC to close them out or convert them into The Bay locations, or do something else with them.

And then there's also a third group of stores that Target doesn't want to keep, but they thought that they were too good a deal to pass up, so Target is apparently going to gut and liquidate those ones.

isny

napkin dispenser
Cross posting my post from the RFD thread.

"All in stock toys are 20% off, that includes Lego. Lots of great Lego sets, but only warm prices as they're so overpriced to begin with. Video Games, Movies, and Electronics were all 10% off. Electric Shavers were 20% off.

Gloucester in Ottawa had a couple of Toy Story Lego sets marked down about 50% with an additional 20% off. I'm personally going to wait for until 40-50% off before picking up any of the more expensive sets though."

In HMV sale news, all consoles are 30-60% off. DSi, DS, DS XL, and 3DS units are 60% off, while PS3 and XBOX consoles are 30% off.

That means 250gb PS3 for about $200 and DS XL's for $100. (Both of these are in stock at the Ottawa Rideau Centre location)

Entropia

No One Remembers
In HMV sale news, all consoles are 30-60% off. DSi, DS, DS XL, and 3DS units are 60% off, while PS3 and XBOX consoles are 30% off.

That means 250gb PS3 for about $200 and DS XL's for $100. (Both of these are in stock at the Ottawa Rideau Centre location)

What's up with the HMV sales? Are they planning to get rid of gaming?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'll probably check out Zellers Billings Bridge after work.
Man, I just got Ottawa flashbacks!

What's up with the HMV sales? Are they planning to get rid of gaming?
They already have, from what I've seen. Funny how a lot of these places got in to games only to want to get out now.

And, it's going to suck not having a crappy department store to buy stuff from near me when the Zellers goes. Even if it's converting into a Target, 2013 seems to be a mighty long time from now.

Looks like the Mississauga Zellers sale starts in a few weeks. I was always underwhelmed with Zeller's videogame section though. Their price drops were always way later than Walmart's

krae_man

Should have stayed in KW. That Waterloo Zellers is the best one.

These closing sales are always pointless. They start at like 10% off and all the horders clear the store out because the word "Closing" is in the sale name. If they did a regular "10% off everything sale which happens often(once a month for seniors), nobody cares.

idiots.

theCHENRY

I don't think I've been in a Zeller's in years. All the ones in my area are pretty dodgey. Always feel like I'm either going to get an infection or a stab wound when I go to one.

Come in and meet me at Rogers Wireless in Calgary, AB by the Zellers in Shawnessy.

I'll even sign your box.

On right now when you activate 2 new lines on a ultimate unlimited family plan and it gets you a free samsung tablet 10.1.

$139.70 for 2 lines and add the 3rd and 4th for $37.35 each

-unlimited calling locally
-unlimited texting canada-wide
-2 gb data

Rocketstick Free on 1 year term (Save $149.99)
- 4G wireless modem with integrated antenna
- Compatible with mac/pc
- Plug and play
- MicroSD reader for expandable memory storage: up to 32 GB
- Use across Canada and in over 190 countries worldwide (Canada-only for prepaid plans)

New Monthly Exclusive Unlimited Value Plans
- Activate your own device
- No contract
- New activation only
- Choice of
Blackberry 9300 $99.99
LG Phoenix $149.99
Samsung Galaxy Q $174.99

$24.35
- 150 anytime minutes
- Unlimited 6PM evenings & weekends
- Unlimited messaging & BBM
- Rogers One Number

$27.35
- 200 anytime minutes
- Unlimited 6PM evenings & weekends
- Unlimited MY5 Local
- Rogers One Number

Never worry about going over your minutes again with this deal , dont miss out on this amazing plan.

If you are interested in this plan or have more questions feel free to give me us call at 403-254-6901

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
target = grungy walmart? not from what I've heard from Americans

I hope that goddamn Zellers at Gerrard Square bites the dust and turns into a target! :O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom