• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
CRA? Ottawa gaf aka government gaf. Also I just realized lately there are peak hours for hydro and stuff so that might make bills easier.

Hope the thread hijack isn't too extreme. Ottawa gaming deals aren't that great anyway.

Edit: VVV Depends on your job I guess. It's cushy and all but this is my third position inside the government and they're progressively more boring ;_; Nice views sometimes, though.

TheExodu5

Banned
CRA? Ottawa gaf aka government gaf. Also I just realized lately there are peak hours for hydro and stuff so that might make bills easier.

Hope the thread hijack isn't too extreme. Ottawa gaming deals aren't that great anyway.

Indeed. Have quite a few friends working for the government here. Not a bad gig, to be honest.

survivor

Banned

Edit: VVV Depends on your job I guess. It's cushy and all but this is my third position inside the government and they're progressively more boring ;_; Nice views sometimes, though.

My brother is doing a co-op job with Health Canada and he shares the same feeling. They are just not giving him anything to do.

TheExodu5

Banned
I work as a Java developer at the CRA. First co-op term doing maintenance on the old COBOL system sucked. I had nothing to do. I'd get like 30 minutes work to do in a week. After that, I started on a new Java project they were working on. First term was slow since they were still in the early requirements gathering stages. I did my 3 terms on the project, and have been working time on it 2 years since I came out of school.

It's actually not bad at all. It's actual development work and we have tons of work to do. We're probably hiring a few dozen more people on the project shortly as well. I'm getting lots of experience doing requirements gathering, design, programming, and my team lead is letting me get some management experience as well. Lots to do, flexible hours, good benefits. I'm staying put for sure.

It wasn't always like this, but we've been moving to Agile development lately which has made things a lot more interesting for me.

No_Style

Ottawa-GAF is pretty significant.

I too work public sector. SSC represent?

Also, good luck with getting Agile to work with all that red tape/process. It was a mess when our dev team tried it out in their last project. Also Java is a pain with all the MS Office integration requirements in our agency.

Anyone brave the stores for an iPad today?

Yeah, I went to Best Buy at about 7:30am, got one easily and was home by 8:15. There was a small lineup of maybe 20 people, and a cage FILLED with iPads.

They are high priced items with no carrier subsidies....I can't imagine that they will be tough to find.

Hey, you're coming to Ottawa Stump? Right on!

We really need to do an Ottawa meetup one of these days.

If you're looking for an apartment near the transitway, I was considering the apartments on Riverside earlier this year. A teeny bit pricier, but very well placed. 5-10 minute bus ride to downtown, but still outside downtown. 5 minute bus ride from Billings Bridge (small mall with a few dozen stores and a grocery store...and the CRA, where I work, heh). 10 minute bus ride from both Rideau Center and St-Laurent shopping center.

C.R.A. employee represent
Nothing I say represents the C.R.A. in any fashion

---

I'm in an apartment near Bayview Transit station. Access to both the O-Train and the Transitway, and Hintonburg/Westboro are pretty nice for restaurants etc. Really all depends on how nice a place you're looking for though.

TheExodu5

Banned
C.R.A. employee represent
Nothing I say represents the C.R.A. in any fashion

---

I'm in an apartment near Bayview Transit station. Access to both the O-Train and the Transitway, and Hintonburg/Westboro are pretty nice for restaurants etc. Really all depends on how nice a place you're looking for though.

Hintonburger has awesome burgers.

Deadly

It's great. Are you going for that MAD tournament? I might be going as well. Nemesis was pretty fun.
Yeah. It's around exams though so I'm not totally sure. My friend wants me to play Gundam Versus Extreme with him but I haven't even tried it yet :lol

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Yeah. It's around exams though so I'm not totally sure. My friend wants me to play Gundam Versus Extreme with him but I haven't even tried it yet :lol

Haha, EXVS is what I'll be going for. Other than that, just watching stuff.

Deadly

Haha, EXVS is what I'll be going for. Other than that, just watching stuff.
hahaha I might just participate to try the game out but I'll more than likely get owned. Man I was hoping the competition would be light but now I have a gaffer to contend with :lol

This is a little OT, but I thought I'd see if I could get any opinions on this. I'm thinking of selling my 360 and putting the money towards a gaming PC (my first). What is a reasonable amount to ask for this on kijiji?

Modern Warfare 3 Slim 360
60 GB harddrive
Alpha Protocol
Bioshock
Bioshock 2
Mass Effect
Mass Effect 2
Mass Effect 3
Silent Hill Downpour
Orange Box
Condemned
Condemned 2
Dead Space
Dead Space 2
Bulletstorm
Fist of the North Star
Nier
Arkham Asylum GOTY
Dragon Age 2

Plus a ton of DLC but I'm not sure how I can include that.

I was thinking in the 550 range. Too high?

theRizzle

I think you will be lucky to get $350. Most people don't want to buy a used system with a bundle of games. This is just speaking from my personal experience in trying to sell almost the same thing on Craiglist (Toronto).

Depends how fast you want to get rid of it, I'd say expect to get 400-450$...

I think you will be lucky to get $350. Most people don't want to buy a used system with a bundle of games. This is just speaking from my personal experience in trying to sell almost the same thing on Craiglist (Toronto).

Thanks. Yeah, the expensive bundle would be a hard sell. I'm not even sure I'd be able to make a decent gaming pc for under $600 anyways.

oneils

If you pre-order a game at Walmart, do they let you choose between the Standard and Collectors Edition?

I pre-ordered the Diablo III Collector's Edition at Walmart.ca.

So, I guess you just have to look for the Collector's Edition on their website. If it is not explicitly stated then my guess is that you are pre-ordering the standard edition.

kennah

This is a little OT, but I thought I'd see if I could get any opinions on this. I'm thinking of selling my 360 and putting the money towards a gaming PC (my first). What is a reasonable amount to ask for this on kijiji?

Where are you in Canada?

Deadly

I pre-ordered the Diablo III Collector's Edition at Walmart.ca.

So, I guess you just have to look for the Collector's Edition on their website. If it is not explicitly stated then my guess is that you are pre-ordering the standard edition.
Speaking of Diablo III, what are the odds EB or FS/BB does a midnight launch? (8am for us in Quebec grrr) I didn't pre-order the CE cause I want to play it on launch day :lol

oneils

Speaking of Diablo III, what are the odds EB or FS/BB does a midnight launch? (8am for us in Quebec grrr) I didn't pre-order the CE cause I want to play it on launch day :lol

I looked into it (i.e., google search of about 3 minutes) before I pre-ordered. I also wanted to pick one up launch day (I'm in Ottawa) I couldn't really find any details.

I guess we won't know until closer to launch. Or, you may have to call up your local BB/FS/EB Games to see.

Om3ga

Is that an additional 60GB HDD or is the original HDD replaced with a 60GB hdd?

I'd say $150-$200 for the 360 alone if the HDD is replaced, up to $250(most likely $220-$230 if it isn't).

Majority of the games you are selling are in the $5-$10 price range with 2 going for about $30-$40.

soooooo with that $300 would be the absolute lowest you could expect to get as seen here. Max you could be looking at is about $450, but you'd only get that if you parted out and sold each game for maximum profit (which will take time).

Is that an additional 60GB HDD or is the original HDD replaced with a 60GB hdd?

I'd say $150-$200 for the 360 alone if the HDD is replaced, up to $250(most likely $220-$230 if it isn't).

Majority of the games you are selling are in the $5-$10 price range with 2 going for about $30-$40.

soooooo with that $300 would be the absolute lowest you could expect to get as seen here. Max you could be looking at is about $450, but you'd only get that if you parted out and sold each game for maximum profit (which will take time).

Thanks. I have a lot of cheap games, which makes separating the bundle almost impossible. I know I wouldn't bother buying Bioshock off of kijiji for $5. It wouldn't be worth my time.

I put it up on kijiji for $500, but I'd be happy to take $450 for it. I left the $50 for haggling room.

damn I missed out SSX is back to full price. anyone know of any more SSX deals?

i guess this was done to boost ea's fiscal year end...usually ea games dont drop this fast ..glad i jumped on it last week from amazon...

anyone know what a broken (red lights) PS3 80gb fat MGS version (BC) would go for? must be useful for some of the parts?

Got back from HMV in Downtown Montreal.

Didn't get anything, mostly due to having a stiff budget, plus the games I did want were in unpleasant shrinkwrap when they'd normally be in proper cellophane, WTF?

Deals that I can recall included (MIGHT not be exact percentage and price...):

Nintendogs & Cats (only the Brown Toy Poodle one) for $39.99 at 60% off.
Bust a Move Universe for $23.99 at 60% off.
Ghost Recon Shadow Wars for $39.99 at 75% off.
Splinter Cell 3D for $34.99 at 60% off (this is particular fuzzy).

They had Asphalt 3D, Madden, Sims 3, and Steel Diver, but I forget the price and percentages.

They were LOADED with Other M for $60 (...) at 75% off...

They had Cabela Dangerous 2011 Wii for $39.99 at 75% off and Phineas & Ferb Wii for the same deal if you're interested, I wanted the latter, but it was shrinkwrapped, and a tad open to...

DS deals I can remember included Starfy for $34.99 at 75% off. Was very tempted.

They had numerous copies of Fossil Fighter 1 and DQMJ2 as well. Forgot the prices.

Of course they were out of goods like the Nintendo Selects line (I remember seeing Punch-Out months ago...), and all Mario games were MIA.

Oh, and Sin & Punishment Star Successor was at $49.99 @ 75% off, the best option if you can't find it at Best Buy for $10.

They also had Gunblade & Machineguns Arcade Hits for Wii at a good deal.

As said, most are not 100% accurate prices and discounts, I didn't write them down, I just went off of memory, which isn't the best to say the least, at least for recent stuff that just happened. :p

Got back from HMV in Downtown Montreal.

Yeah a lot of it got picked clean from that location earlier, mainly people willing to take the junk discounts of 15% off of newer games. But the best deal really is on accessories as almost all of it is discounted with another 75% off at counter.There's not a lot but, for example, basically all of this can be had at $5 each:

-3DS Stand + 3DS Charger (the official ones, as a set, and the charger works with DSi)
-Basically every PSPgo accessory except for high-capacity memory cards
-The DS USB Wifi stick
-The Wii talk peripheral from Animal Crossing

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Someone in Ottawa buy Ar Tonelico 4 from me merci.

And that FFXIII-2 deal is good. Great game especially for that price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom