• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

isny

napkin dispenser
Kirby Epic Yarn was 75% off ($11) at downtown Montreal's HMV today.

I'm actually looking for a copy of Kingdom Hearts ReCoded for the DS if anyone finds one for 75% off.

They had a bunch at Yonge last week, but had yet to mark em down. (I live in Ottawa)

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Although it's been years since I've stepped foot inside a Target, they are something like a high end Wal-Mart. Layout is a lot like any other major department store in the vain of Wal-Mart, K-Mart, or Zellers, but Target's products are generally superior (ie; clothes, furniture). The stores will be an improvement over many of the run down, low end Zellers we have, but Target isn't going to change your life, or anything.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Although it's been years since I've stepped foot inside a Target, they are something like a high end Wal-Mart. Layout is a lot like any other major department store in the vain of Wal-Mart, K-Mart, or Zellers, but Target's products are generally superior (ie; clothes, furniture). The stores will be an improvement over many of the run down, low end Zellers we have, but Target isn't going to change your life, or anything.
I was in one in the summer and it basically looks like a Zellers or a Walmart.

The only thing is that a lot of Zellers are grungy because of their age, so a forced redesign of the stores would make them look more "modern" anyway.

Has anybody used gamebot.ca? It's like a Canadian Gylde, and it launched back in June. They have decent prices, but not a ton of selection. I wonder if they are reputable.

DJ_Lae

They are remodeling a lot of that mall you would think it would be the perfect time to change it up.

Yeah, Hillside Mall is a bit of a mess right now - well, has been for quite a while, the renovations are taking forever. I gather the end result will have a massive food court, though I don't know if I'm terribly excited about that.

EB and HMV sales are pretty much the only reason I ever step foot in there.

frequency

Has anyone ever used the website http://www.videogameinstructionbooklets.com ?

I'm looking for some PS3 game cases. I have a couple games with broken tabs on the middle disc holder thing so I need some replacements.
It's in the US. But I can't find anything here and eBay has very few listings - the cheapest being $5 for a case from Alberta.
That site is super ugly and I can only pay with credit card, so I'm a bit wary.

Although I buy board games at super ugly sites that only accept credit cards too...

This feels really dirty for some reason.

Come in and meet me at Rogers Wireless in Calgary, AB by the Zellers in Shawnessy.

I'll even sign your box.

On right now when you activate 2 new lines on a ultimate unlimited family plan and it gets you a free samsung tablet 10.1.

$139.70 for 2 lines and add the 3rd and 4th for $37.35 each

-unlimited calling locally
-unlimited texting canada-wide
-2 gb data

Rocketstick Free on 1 year term (Save $149.99)
- 4G wireless modem with integrated antenna
- Compatible with mac/pc
- Plug and play
- MicroSD reader for expandable memory storage: up to 32 GB
- Use across Canada and in over 190 countries worldwide (Canada-only for prepaid plans)

New Monthly Exclusive Unlimited Value Plans
- Activate your own device
- No contract
- New activation only
- Choice of
Blackberry 9300 $99.99
LG Phoenix $149.99
Samsung Galaxy Q $174.99

$24.35
- 150 anytime minutes
- Unlimited 6PM evenings & weekends
- Unlimited messaging & BBM
- Rogers One Number

$27.35
- 200 anytime minutes
- Unlimited MY5 Local
- Rogers One Number

Never worry about going over your minutes again with this deal , dont miss out on this amazing plan.

If you are interested in this plan or have more questions feel free to give me us call at 403-254-6901

theCHENRY

Canadacomputers has SATA2 OCZ 128g ssds on for 109$ today only. Should I bite?

http://canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=179&item_id=045620

Scratch that. Ncix has the sata 3 version for 80$... (after rebates and gift cards)

http://ncix.ca/products/?sku=67559&vpn=PTL1-25SAT3-128G&manufacture=OCZ Technology&promoid=1215

Speaking as someone who's OCZ SSD just failed, I'd avoid them. $109 for a 128GB SSD is a pretty amazing deal though. I don't know much about the Octane drives, but compared to other SSDs the OCZ seem to have a much higher failure rate. We're only talking like 3%, but when you can get an Intel with a 0.5% failure rate...

Source in French

I've had my OCZ Vertex 2 SSD for about a year now, no problems so far. Whats the lifespan on these anyways?

Lifespan isn't an issue, really - bitwear just means you would have less and less free space. The failure problems for SSDs seems to be failing drive controllers. I lost my Vertex 1 and Agility 1 both this year due to this, and when it fails, that's it. Your PC can't find the drive anymore and you gotta send it in for replacement.

That being said, I think they're still fine. To date I've had a hard drive or SSD fail from basically every vendor around, so I generally can't take "don't buy this!!" arguments seriously unless there is some endemic, 360-esque problem going on. It's really more of just a lesson to:

a) have a good warranty (Luckily OCZ is pretty good with this on many models)
b) backup your stuff. Dropbox dropbox dropbox + backup program

Come in and meet me at Rogers Wireless in Calgary, AB by the Zellers in Shawnessy.

I'll even sign your box.

On right now when you activate 2 new lines on a ultimate unlimited family plan and it gets you a free samsung tablet 10.1.

$139.70 for 2 lines and add the 3rd and 4th for $37.35 each

-unlimited calling locally
-unlimited texting canada-wide
-2 gb data

Rocketstick Free on 1 year term (Save $149.99)
- 4G wireless modem with integrated antenna
- Compatible with mac/pc
- Plug and play
- MicroSD reader for expandable memory storage: up to 32 GB
- Use across Canada and in over 190 countries worldwide (Canada-only for prepaid plans)

New Monthly Exclusive Unlimited Value Plans
- Activate your own device
- No contract
- New activation only
- Choice of
Blackberry 9300 $99.99
LG Phoenix $149.99
Samsung Galaxy Q $174.99

$24.35
- 150 anytime minutes
- Unlimited messaging & BBM
- Rogers One Number

$27.35
- 200 anytime minutes
- Unlimited MY5 Local
- Rogers One Number

Never worry about going over your minutes again with this deal , dont miss out on this amazing plan.

If you are interested in this plan or have more questions feel free to give me us call at 403-254-6901

Sleazy.

SickBoy

I don't even know if it's a good deal. Granted, I actually have a cellphone plan that meets my needs for a price that I think is reasonable (negotiated last time I re-upped my contract), so I'm not sure what the going rates are anymore.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Not quite gaming, but I am looking for anywhere in Toronto that has a Transformer Prime in stock, it's slim fucking pickings.

Firestorm

I don't even know if it's a good deal. Granted, I actually have a cellphone plan that meets my needs for a price that I think is reasonable (negotiated last time I re-upped my contract), so I'm not sure what the going rates are anymore.
It's not a good deal. I wouldn't mind people posting good deals if they're able to offer them. On RFD a guy was able to offer $20 a month for 1 year on Telus for 15mbit internet and tv. No contract. Or if you signed a one year contract, you got free digital box rental for the tv. That type of stuff would be mutually beneficial imo.

Just the 360 version? I frequently default to 360 for multiplatform stuff, but more local multiplayer is done on PS3 here, and it's easier to set up for my son.
At least that's what the flyers show. If there was a choice, I'd take the Wii one because it has more software out for it, and seems to be more refined.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
I live in Ottawa. Sandy hill is the nicest of the areas you mentioned, but is the priciest. Parliament area doesn't really have have anywhere to live around it. Vanier is cheap but is definitely not as nice.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
No car? Oh, you'll love OC Transpo (actually, they're really good downtown - which leads to the downside of there simply being too much bus noise).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom