• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 3: Pining for the Good Old Days Edition

I haven't seen much discussion in here about what I feel is the more likely reason for the price increase on games.

Yes the dollar parity gives them a background reason.
But I really feel that it is more likely that the regular price is being raised so that games can be sold at the traditional $59.99 and be listed as being "On Sale".
Pricing laws state that a product must be listed for 30 days at it's designated regular price before it can be "on sale".

The demand is high for the first couple of days of a release so yes they will make more money on those days. We as gamers are such suckers that way.
But then the game can safely be dropped down to the price we have all been paying for years $60 and the company gets to advertise the game as a sale item.

It is very common for companies to adjust pricing like this for very popular items that drop in price very quickly after their launch or release date.
It won't be long before the average customer will walk into a store and be excited that a game is on "sale" for $59.99.
It also encourages further spending. Almost everyone that purchases an item on sale feels that they have saved money and can now spend those savings on something else.
Very often that savings is mentally reflected towards the next item purchased.

"I saved $10 on this game so if I buy this other $30 game I'm basically getting it for $20".

I have a long career in sales and have seen these tactics used time and time again.
It's just my opinion. Curious if anyone else agrees.

I'm pretty sure 99% of the reason is because of the dollar, and retailers themselves are paying more from the publisher to purchase games. This is why the trend is widespread, and not just one retailer. I think what you said will absolutely be an effect, but I don't think it's at all the cause. They are paying more to sell us the games, thus they need to sell them for more to keep a similar profit margin.

This has happened more than once before, and I'm sure it will happen again. I even see the grocery deals at Safeway being worse than they were three months ago. Two litre bottles of pop used to be 3/$6, now they're 3/$7. It's shitty, but it will go back eventually. Might get worse before it gets better, though

I have a long career in sales and have seen these tactics used time and time again.
It's just my opinion. Curious if anyone else agrees.

All retailers in Canada are now engaging in this, so it's not just one chain engaging in some aggressive marketing tactics. Not to mention that there is direct competition to retail chains now that at least some portion of the day 1 buyers would be aware of.

When I talked to a mom & pop shop around the beginning of February they said that they weren't being charged any extra for buying games from distribution. They would keep selling for $59.99 until things changed.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I see your point Puffyshirt but I haven't read anything anywhere yet to say that retailers are paying more to publishers. I don't believe that in the current state of the industry, publishers would ask for more money for their products.

Not when they are doing so much work to increase their online sales which has a negative effect on the brick and mortar stores.

I believe that the retail stores need to make more money off of each sale to compensate for their reduced sales due to digital marketplaces increasing. And a higher regular price translates to a higher sale price all the way down the discount road.
The flyers that show all these games at 50% will happen. And it's extremely hard to argue with the $5 extra that each game will fetch during those deals.

The biggest proof we will see is how long each of these games stay at the $69.99 price. If it stays at full price for a long time then it's the dollar.
If the price is $49.99 two months after release and advertised at $20 off (which is considered the first major impact point in retail pricing) then my theory carries some weight to it.

Note that both the retailers and the publishers will make more money from a higher price point.
So I don't believe for a second that both parties are not supporting it. Which could explain why it is industry wide.
I also guess that the US is waitng patiently to see how this "test" goes.

Is this game still rare? Just got this email from VGP.

PrPtArf.jpg

https://www.videogamesplus.ca/product_info.php?products_id=19956

Thanks for this... I've been back and forth on whether or not I should grab this, and I would have preferred to find it cheaper, but $70 is fair in my mind... I paid $125 for Phantasy Star IV back in the day, after all, and I have no faith in Nintendo ever releasing this digitally... A port to Vita would be nice, but...

I think it might be a next gen price hike too. Keep PS3/360 games at $60-65 and release PS4/XB1 games at $70. That way they don't have to drop last gen games to $50 as it's the "inferior" version.

i-Jest

Don't know how many maybe interested, or know people who maybe interested, but Game Maker, a software a lot of indie and professional game devs use is on sale. For a limited time you can download the standard edition (normally $49.99) for free and upgrade to professional for $35 (normally $99.99), This is going on until March 2nd.

http://www.yoyogames.com/developers/promotions/sale

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
When I talked to a mom & pop shop around the beginning of February they said that they weren't being charged any extra for buying games from distribution. They would keep selling for $59.99 until things changed.
Didn't the shop.ca guy say they were being charged more by their supplier?

Leeness

Ummmm the last Professor Layton game came out today, right?

...out of stock on Future Shop. So much for preordering a year ago. Lol.

Gamejunky

Looks like bestbuy and futureshop have the grand wizard version of south park back up to 84.99, was it just a limited time thing or was it a mistake? Kicking myself that I missed it.

ohlawd

Thanks for this... I've been back and forth on whether or not I should grab this, and I would have preferred to find it cheaper, but $70 is fair in my mind... I paid $125 for Phantasy Star IV back in the day, after all, and I have no faith in Nintendo ever releasing this digitally... A port to Vita would be nice, but...
hate to break it to you but Xenoblade Chronicles is much of a 1st party to Nintendo as Mario or Zelda or whatever.

Vamphuntr

Looks like bestbuy and futureshop have the grand wizard version of south park back up to 84.99, was it just a limited time thing or was it a mistake? Kicking myself that I missed it.

It was an actual promo that ran for a limited time. They are now giving a 20$ gift card with it instead.

i-Jest

Weird I'm ordering it at bestbuy right now and they're applying the 20 dollar gift card to the order automatically, so really it's still 64.99 lol

CONFIRMED! I'm seeing this for the 360 version. PS3 and PC versions are also sold out. Only difference is the BB promo doesn't have the price cut FS had. So your still paying more at BB ($73.44) than you'd pay at FS ($50.84). http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/south-park-the-stick-of-truth-grand-wizard-edition-xbox-360/10276020.aspx?path=58888cb6f56202ff1909298b62794023en02

Cheerilee

I see your point Puffyshirt but I haven't read anything anywhere yet to say that retailers are paying more to publishers. I don't believe that in the current state of the industry, publishers would ask for more money for their products.

The game industry is essentially American. They expect to get paid in American dollars.

In America, retail supposedly gets around $10 per-game. The publisher basically gets the rest. When games were $50, retail got $10 and the publishers got $40. Then when we moved to HD and prices pushed up to $60, retail got $10 and publishers got $50 (because retail has nothing to do with HD, they just want their ten bucks).

Canadian retail can ask for ten Canadian dollars, because they pay their people in Canadian dollars, so variations in the dollar don't effect them all that much, but they're still buying American products to sell, and at the end of the day, the American video game industry is not going to accept the Canadian dollar at par. We've always paid more for our videogames, and it was only when our dollar climbed to par that it ended.

If Canadian Tire wants wants to buy the latest $60 game to resell, they're going to have to pay $50 American for it. That currently means $55 Canadian. If they try to sell it on their shelves for $60 Canadian, then they're only making $5, rather than the $10 they would like to get. They've pushed it up to $70 Canadian because they're making up for lost time (our dollar has been sub-par for some time now), and they probably expect it to keep dropping. We're currently overpaying by about five bucks, but for five bucks, most people won't bother importing their games from America.

Honestly, I'm surprised we were able to get games at par for as long as we did. It's kind of a rule in business than says that you should immediately raise the price as soon as something changes to tell you that you should, but when it changes the other way, you're supposed to stall and drag your heels, and buy some time while you rake in "accidental" profits.

Vamphuntr

Have people forgiven VGP for the hack and/or how they handled the aftermath?

Details for those who don't remember: http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=459324

I ask because they're calling out @GameDealsCanada for not posting stuff from their store. I'm curious what people think about them nowadays.

I sure remember because my information was leaked because of their incompetence and they never bothered to contact me to tell me about it. No reparation of any kind either. Back then I had the Sony Identify Theft coverage thing from the PSN hack and I got an email from it saying that my personal information was compromised during the time it happened.

i-Jest

Have people forgiven VGP for the hack and/or how they handled the aftermath?

Details for those who don't remember: http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=459324

I ask because they're calling out @GameDealsCanada for not posting stuff from their store. I'm curious what people think about them nowadays.

I've only ever ordered one item from them. That was after the whole identity theft situation. Personally I have nothing against them but I can empathize with others and seeing VGP is a not so flattering light. True say, they need to upgrade their online store. They're system won't take my credit card. If they want to be taken seriously then upgrade they're online infrastructure.

Astra

Is anybody elses South Park E3 pre-order from Futureshop showing up as "The Stick Of Truth Grand Wizard Edition" in their order list? I only ordered the standard edition.

Diagol

Is anybody elses South Park E3 pre-order from Futureshop showing up as "The Stick Of Truth Grand Wizard Edition" in their order list? I only ordered the standard edition.

I got an email a few days ago saying I was automatically upgraded to the Grand Wizard Edition. I ordered my copy for $39.99 during the E3 promo, so that's pretty awesome! :)

Biff

Sorry, this probably isn't the thread for this but has anyone been able to find a Playstation 4 Camera in Toronto?

Doesn't look like any of the major retailers have it. Out of stock everywhere!

BadHand

Amazon advertising GZ on PS4 as $10 off really threw me - I preordered it last night forgetting that $29.99 is now RRP and not $39.99. It's only now, that the 5 pints if lager has worn off that I realize my mistake.

Delivery date is April 2nd... think I will cancel for the digital version, unless I can find the retail version for $29.99. Have Target, Walmart or RCSS put there prices up by $5-10 too?

I got an email a few days ago saying I was automatically upgraded to the Grand Wizard Edition. I ordered my copy for $39.99 during the E3 promo, so that's pretty awesome! :)

I wish my Titan fall preorder got upgraded like some of the US Best Buy customers. Haha

Top Bottom