• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 4: That $70s Show

Zeeman

My regret is not buying smaller denominations. I bought $50 cards. Not going to waste one on the Wii U.

The Wii U and 3DS share eShop balances, as long as you have an NNID that's set up on both. I know I entered in a $5 eShop code on my Wii U, and the money was visible on my 3DS as well.

ohlawd

checked the site and holy shit why is Akiba's Trip 50?

20% isn't bad. Stuff like Disgaea 4 and Hyperdimension Neptuniawhateverbunchofgibberish is 32 bucks instead of 40. I don't know if I wanna head down to the store and see things for myself.

zroid

Banned
The Vita section in the stores near me are pretty much a wasteland but they sometimes have a few new-ish games and a few old games on clearance which nobody wants. I probably wouldn't go out of my way for 20% but I think I'll be passing by a FS this afternoon so I might have a quick look.

krae_man

Last week I saw a copy of Invisamals for PSP with the camera in a clearence bin. I figures I'd grab it if it was cheap just to fool around with the camera. Scanned it and it came up at $44.99. Its 4 years old, nobody wants it, and the store still refuses to mark it down. How do I have a knack for finding old stock stupidly at original price instead of on cleanence?

So I preordered professor layton vs phoenix wright during the E3 sale thing on best buy's website. The game has not shipped yet, wondering if anyone's copy has?

Ryde3

Haha, I watched the Best Buy dude trade in my games once. You're basically returning product, they just select a different "reason". It's the dumbest setup, and takes so long.

Man I traded in Watch Dogs + Infamous yesterday Future Shop or the 70$ gift card and I was the first person to take advantage of the promo... and it took them TWENTY minutes I was so annoyed, something about the couldn't the account code to add the extra 10$ (they rang up at 60$)

Reallllly turned me off from trading in at FS.

vvise

I posted this in the TV thread, maybe someone here might know:
Does anyone know if there's a way to get a 70 inch Vizio in Canada? I bought a 47 refurb on Tiger a many years ago for real cheap before it was an established brand and it's been great. I'm looking for a new E-Series 70 inch. The $1500 price point at that size is hard to resist.

Can't find anything in Canada though :(
Thanks in advance guys. 519 represent.

EDIT :: well nvm, I got in touch with Vizio
59McaGj.png

Lexxism

Man I traded in Watch Dogs + Infamous yesterday Future Shop or the 70$ gift card and I was the first person to take advantage of the promo... and it took them TWENTY minutes I was so annoyed, something about the couldn't the account code to add the extra 10$ (they rang up at 60$)

To be honest, you were lucky that they still did the trade 2 for $70 since it already expired from last week.

Zing

Banned
The Wii U and 3DS share eShop balances, as long as you have an NNID that's set up on both. I know I entered in a $5 eShop code on my Wii U, and the money was visible on my 3DS as well.
The stupid thing is that I knew that. I guess I had a memory lapse! Thanks for reminding me.

I have only traded in to FS once, and it also took forever. It wasn't even a promotion, just a regular trade in. Took at least 20 minutes.

I have only traded in to FS once, and it also took forever. It wasn't even a promotion, just a regular trade in. Took at least 20 minutes.

It isn't even the employees' fault either, their system for trade-ins is set up horrrrriblyyy.[/QUOTE]

Seems to be a bit better now. I have had 30 minute experiences though.

For some reason Best Buy's system seems to be different.

Returners

Would anyone in Ontario mind suggesting a provider/plan for internet? I'm going to Queens and moving into a house with four other students in a week and we still have yet to set the internet up. They stream off Netflix and sites akin to that while I intend to be able to play Destiny online with friends when it launches.
Thanks!

I use Electronic Box without any problems. Though I would look out for flyers around your house for internet, usually the big three has some big discounts for students vs. ordering from their website.

Would anyone in Ontario mind suggesting a provider/plan for internet? I'm going to Queens and moving into a house with four other students in a week and we still have yet to set the internet up. They stream off Netflix and sites akin to that while I intend to be able to play Destiny online with friends when it launches.
Thanks!

Teksavvy is the best one imo, best service, best price, best packages for unlimited usage.

Edit: cogeco, rogers and bell are all crap, especially bell.

Zing

Banned
Teksavvy cable. With more than one person using it, I'd strongly suggest at least the 50/4 tier. I used it with three people and we could all stream video at once. With 25/2, it wasn't as smooth. Plus the extra upload can handle someone (annoyingly) using BitTorrent without ruining your download speed.

zroid

Banned
So I went to FS... not what I was expecting, to say the least.

"20% off all Vita games" is actually "20% off all $19.99 or higher Vita games if you buy 2 or more"

there was also "30% off all pre-owned games $19.99 or higher (any console, I think?) if you buy 2 or more"

Vita game selection was garbage as expected anyway so nothing for me

I use Electronic Box without any problems. Though I would look out for flyers around your house for internet, usually the big three has some big discounts for students vs. ordering from their website.

I'll check them out, thanks! The big three seem to be all over the place for what they offer us, I was looking at bell but I warned about connection speed.

Teksavvy is the best one imo, best service, best price, best packages for unlimited usage.

I was looking into Teksavvy but the fastest they offer is 20mpbs in my area.

Teksavvy cable. With more than one person using it, I'd strongly suggest at least the 50/4 tier. I used it with three people and we could all stream video at once. With 25/2, it wasn't as smooth. Plus the extra upload can handle someone (annoyingly) using BitTorrent without ruining your download speed.

Hmmm, that was my fear with the other providers in relation to speed. I really don't want to deal with connection issues whilst two or three others attempt to stream something. They use other streaming sites as well that use up even more bandwith.

Should 425 Gigs a month be enough for four students? I'm assuming that's more than beefy enough for us all.

the3ye

So I preordered professor layton vs phoenix wright during the E3 sale thing on best buy's website. The game has not shipped yet, wondering if anyone's copy has?
Got notification from PayPal few days ago. Not a real charge, but another authorization for the whole order. No change on BB site, still marked as pre-order. Hope it's gonna be here tomorrow.
It's common that they don't notify about partial shippings, right? I also hope they won't charge my PP for the whole thing, with games that don't even have release dates.

ElNino

A lot of people say Teksavvy, and I used to agree with them, but I just checked their prices and the packages comparable to my Rogers service is more expensive on Teksavvy. Not to mention, co-workers of mine who have Teksavvy say their technical support is terrible... but they like the prices so they stay with it.

My Rogers 150/15 service with 550GB bandwidth costs me less than $70/month, where as on Teksavvy the same service (with 300GB bandwidth) is $90 and unlimited is $120. The lower tier 60/10 service is about the same price (for 300GB) as my current one, but it's half the speed.

Granted, I don't need 150 down very often but when I'm working from home (which is 50% of my schedule) then having that kind of speed is quite helpful.

Dazzler

price matching at FS is also a horrible experience

I was 20-30 minutes waiting for them to match Walmart for Sniper Elite a few weeks ago

CS Rep couldn't find the price on the Walmart site

chrono01

I pre-ordered during the same time-frame and mine shipped out yesterday. I should receive it tomorrow, despite what the tracking says.

beta_fuse

Just got an email from Amazon.ca saying my pre-order for Arkham Knight on PS4 got delayed to January 4th 2016. Anyone else get this? Hope it isn't getting delayed again.

Just got an email from Amazon.ca saying my pre-order for Arkham Knight on PS4 got delayed to January 4th 2016. Anyone else get this? Hope it isn't getting delayed again.

I got that too, but I wouldn't put much stock in it. I can't imagine them delaying it another year haha, especially so soon after the last delay.

If anybody in the Vaughan or Aurora area is looking for a Wii U, I'm selling mine for $420.

I'm selling my Deluxe Wii U with 9 Digital Games installed and a 500 GB HDD to keep those games on. 

The console is in great condition. The games included are: 
Donkey Kong Country Returns 
Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker 
Mario Kart 8 
Pikmin 3 
Wonderful 101 
New Super Mario U 
Mario 3d World 
Sonic: Lost Worlds 
Zombi U

If anybody in the Vaughan or Aurora area is looking for a Wii U, I'm selling mine for $420.

I'm selling my Deluxe Wii U with 9 Digital Games installed and a 500 GB HDD to keep those games on. 

Mario Kart 8 
Pikmin 3 
Wonderful 101 
New Super Mario U 
Mario 3d World 
Zombi U

Why breh?

iphys

Mario Kart 8 
Pikmin 3 
Wonderful 101 
New Super Mario U 
Mario 3d World 
Zombi U

$420, eh? Is it from a smoke-free home?

Zing

Banned
A lot of people say Teksavvy, and I used to agree with them, but I just checked their prices and the packages comparable to my Rogers service is more expensive on Teksavvy. Not to mention, co-workers of mine who have Teksavvy say their technical support is terrible... but they like the prices so they stay with it.
Teksavvy support is fine if you can actually get a hold of someone. I just post on dslreports in the direct forum and get my problem resolved almost immediately. Calling is futile, though. Bandwidth cap is virtually meaningless as Teksavvy doesn't meter your usage at night.

Mentok

Banned

That's interest. My wife and I switched to Teksavvy about a year ago and have had no complaints. For phone and internet we were paying upwards of $100 with Bell and Rogers, now we're paying $70 for both. Luckily I've never had an issue getting in touch with tech support (had to twice for different reasons). Plus I love the unlimited late night/earlymorning bandwidth.

Vamphuntr

BB shipped my Layton vs Wright but not my Danganronpa 2. I guess they didn't receive their shipment from NISA/Atlus. It's too bad, it would have been great to play during this 3 day weekend.

Sealtest

Looks like amazon is now giving guaranteed release date delivery on some 3ds titles, Just had 2 call and get my e3 order changed for smash bros,pokemon alpha & ruby.

I think this is the first time i've seen a nintendo title get release date delivery.

jholmes

Thanks!

Edit: I was recommended this:

http://www.cogeco.ca/web/on/en/residential/internet/packages/ultimate_120_unlimited/

I use Start Communications and they're great but it looks like they don't really have anything east of Toronto. Do NOT use Cogeco though, they are awful.

Can someone explain to me on how to change the payment method for best buy preorders. I've tried following their instructions but it's not working.

I would just call them.

I had an issue once where I placed some pre-orders and I forgot to change my credit card info (the CC I originally used was compromised). For some reason I kept getting error messages on the BB site when I tried to change my payment info to the new CC.

One call to customer service and they changed it for me within minutes.

Top Bottom