• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 4: That $70s Show

i-Jest

So... Any deals on some GC controllers? Anyone think they'll make some new batches if the converters sell well?

Haven't seen the official smash GC controller in the wild yet. Considering the accessory is primarily meant for the core fanbase, I'm going to say we'll have no problem getting our hands on them for a while. If my friends are anything to go by then after a few months of constant wear and tear a replacement is probably necessary.

How annoying it is reading about shipments of your games, just to get to maybe one actual deal per page.. News flash no one cares that your Ultimax hasn't shipped yet. This isn't a chat room. Yes it's deals and discussion, but can we not fill every fkn page with shipping talk every time a game comes out?

Read the title of the thread; "Canadian gaming deals." The thread is being hijacked with lame ass shipping discussion.

Excuse me guys but who are you??!!
You've never contributed to the thread by any means and now you wanna make it to your liking! Nobody cares if you're not comfortable reading what we are talking about, and this is the way it has always been! Yes it gets out of hand sometimes but this is CanGaf and this is how it always will be so deal with it or look for your deals somewhere else!

i-Jest

Read the title of the thread; "Canadian gaming deals." The thread is being hijacked with lame ass shipping discussion.

Shipping GAF is a natural discussion to be had in this thread. We share our experiences and form a solidarity. We give each other advice if shit goes sideways. It doesn't take away from the topic at all . It adds to it. You can go over to RFD if your unsatisfied. Being new is one thing but being straight up disrespectful is intolerable.

Xenoflare

Transferred my P4AU preorder to Freedom Wars from EB.

Hell it only came 2 hours late, but by the time EB gave me the call I'm already into the story mode :p

Stage On

Thank you for contacting Pokémon Support.

The September Newsletter with the Mega Stone code is being sent out in batches. Please note that it may take up to a week or longer before all of the newsletters have been sent out. We appreciate your patience!.

Thank you for playing Pokémon!

Sincerely,
Pokémon Support Team

It's October and I still haven't gotten my September newsletter! God I hope they don't do future distributions this way

Cheerilee

I don't know how long you've been lurking GAF or reading this thread, but the Gaming Deals thread has always been the de facto "Canada Chat" thread. Sorry if you don't like it, but nobody is making you read or post here.

Excuse me guys but who are you??!!
You've never contributed to the thread by any means and now you wanna make it to your liking! Nobody cares if you're not comfortable reading what we are talking about, and this is the way it has always been! Yes it gets out of hand sometimes but this is CanGaf and this is how it always will be so deal with it or look for your deals somewhere else!

Shipping GAF is a natural discussion to be had in this thread. We share our experiences and form a solidarity. We give each other advice if shit goes sideways. It doesn't take away from the topic at all . It adds to it. You can go over to RFD if your unsatisfied. Being new is one thing but being straight up disrespectful is intolerable.

I've been posting in the Canada Deals Thread for longer than any of you have been Gaffers, and was a proponent of the title change to "Deals and Discussion" to include more topics that matter to the Canadian minority on Neogaf, but since then I've often wondered why I bother to keep a subscription to this thread, because most of the time it's just a shipping-status chatroom. The signal-to-noise ratio in here is terrible. I would appreciate it if you guys toned it down a little.

Also, I should mention that EviLore has mentioned several times in the past that megathreads tend to create cliques where the posters feel that they themselves are more important than the topic, and off-topic discussions become more and more common, and the group becomes exclusionary, at which point his "delete thread" trigger finger starts to get itchy, so it'd be wise to watch out for that sort of thing.

QaaQer

I've been posting in the Canada Deals Thread for longer than any of you have been Gaffers, and was a proponent of the title change to "Deals and Discussion" to include more topics that matter to the Canadian minority on Neogaf, but since then I've often wondered why I bother to keep a subscription to this thread, because most of the time it's just a shipping-status chatroom. The signal-to-noise ratio in here is terrible. I would appreciate it if you guys toned it down a little.

Also, I should mention that EviLore has mentioned several times in the past that megathreads tend to create cliques where the posters feel that they themselves are more important than the topic, and off-topic discussions become more and more common, and the group becomes exclusionary, at which point his "delete thread" trigger finger starts to get itchy, so it'd be wise to watch out for that sort of thing.

It's all true.

Still, some good deals get posted here.

Nobody cares if you or me have been posting here for a century, this thread is basically the community hub for Canadians here on NeoGaf and nobody gets to control what the rest of us are talking about as long as nobody is going against the terms of the forums! I can't see anybody claiming he's more important than anybody else, also your subtle threatening of closing the thread is really unexplainable to me!

Yes we all get annoyed sometimes of all the shipping talk but we can't tell any gaffer to shut their mouth because nobody cares if they got their games on time or not! If people wanna talk and share their experiences then it's up to them.

Lexxism

Speaking of Steam using CAD this Oct 7, I really hope the conversion will be not that bad especially after hearing good things from some gaffers when it was converted to their currency.

I get what you're saying, but it's not like shipping chat is totally off-topic like, say, Rob Ford or "Calgary is awesome let's have a meet-up." It's directly related to many of the deals we do post about. Also, I'd probably feel more sympathetic if there were tons of deals this thread missed out on because of the shipping talk, but frankly there isn't much going on lately. EBGames has long since dried up except for trade-in offers (and those might be going away too) and BB/FS only rarely have decent sales that even approach E3-sale levels. Hell, the Amazon.ca price drop (or price match depending on your perspective) on Wii U Gamecube adapters made it here.

That said, I'll try to tone it down with the shipping complaints, if only because it's pretty one-note from me ("oh hey another game I pre-ordered hasn't shipped in two weeks thanks for nothing").

If someone gets a great deal at Amazon (like the E3) deal and the game takes a week extra to ship, I want to know about it. The shipping time is part of the deal in a lot of cases. Do I want to pay a few dollars less but receive it a week later?

Shipping discussion is important as it helps me make an informed decision on whether or not a deal is worth it.

Also, lets not bring status or how long people have been on GAF into the discussion. It's inconsequential.

For Canadian Deals and Discussion it's better to have a megathread because Canadian deals will get buried in the regular discussion that takes place on GAF. We may have a pretty good contingent of Canadian Gaffers but we don't have enough to keep discussion regarding each individual deal afloat in the Gaming Discussion forum.

The fact is, there aren't many notable deals right now. When there are deals, they get posted. If you're missing them you're not reading this thread regularly enough.

No_Style

At least folks aren't talking about pillow deals.

I bought those pillows & they weren't for me.

For folks who just want deals, follow GameDealsCanada on Twitter, Facebook or Google+. I try to keep it up to date as possible.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.

For folks who just want deals, follow GameDealsCanada on Twitter, Facebook or Google+. I try to keep it up to date as possible.
You don't buy pillows. The pillows buy you.

Ryde3

Hey man I love your twitter feed, for times when I'm out and about and not able to browse the thread. Great work!

If someone gets a great deal at Amazon (like the E3) deal and the game takes a week extra to ship, I want to know about it. The shipping time is part of the deal in a lot of cases. Do I want to pay a few dollars less but receive it a week later?

Shipping discussion is important as it helps me make an informed decision on whether or not a deal is worth it.

Also, lets not bring status or how long people have been on GAF into the discussion. It's inconsequential.

For Canadian Deals and Discussion it's better to have a megathread because Canadian deals will get buried in the regular discussion that takes place on GAF. We may have a pretty good contingent of Canadian Gaffers but we don't have enough to keep discussion regarding each individual deal afloat in the Gaming Discussion forum.

The fact is, there aren't many notable deals right now. When there are deals, they get posted. If you're missing them you're not reading this thread regularly enough.
I get a daily subscription update email and I still have trouble sorting through the noise. I agree I was part of the problem when my ps4 was shipped late but I agree with him and won't be posting anymore about shipping. It really is hard to find the actual deals in this thread as opposed to "my order from this deal I got 6 months ago just shipped! *squeeee*"

flkraven

I think all the discussion about shipping status is a by product of the massive drought of game deals in recent months. We are all losers in this regard :/.

Although, I scored big on that Microsoft Store Sunset Preorder deal. :)

frequency

https://twitter.com/gamedealscanada
Follow that for just deals. He does a really good job getting all the deals.

This thread would basically be dead if it was just about deals because honestly there just aren't that many. So we use it to vent about shipping concerns and stuff... We have discussions related to deals, which involves shipping when the deal is from an online shop. It's just that there are other sources if you don't want that discussion. Coming in and telling people to stop talking about what we've been talking about for years isn't going to be taken very kindly.

There are no cliques here and threats of being closed/deleted because some people aren't so accepting of someone coming in and suddenly saying, "Stop talking about what you want and only talk about what I want!" are inappropriate. We are almost always on topic. Shipping is on topic.
Pillow deals aren't, sadly.

SickBoy

I get the frustration about shipping talk and I agree, to an extent.

"Yay! My copy of Ox Fighter 12 just shipped!" (x10 if it's a big game) - who gives a damn?

On the other hand, issues like Amazon's apparent shipping problems are a bigger deal and worth a bit of discussion.

If you're posting every time something you've purchased ships, you're probably part of the problem. If you're posting occasionally, like every time Amazon hasn't shipped your preorder three days after release, or to broadly say "I've been pretty pleased with Best Buy's shipping on E3 preorders," that seems much more reasonable. (ProTip: I have been pretty pleased with Best Buy's E3 shipping so far).

EDIT: So I guess to be clear, I'm all for discussion around gaming deals and issues with retailers, etc... but I don't care what you had for breakfast or what colour your shirt is today (or if you're really excited that Game X shipped).

suikodan

I can't see the issue about the different discussions in this thread.

This thread helped me score a XBone for 279$ during E3 with 1-day shipping.

I interpret the title as Canadian [Gaming deals and] Discussion Thread. For me, it's a nice thread to exchange with fellow canadian customers about our experience with buying stuff and such.

Back to topic: FutureShop says I've been "charged" for SSB, anyone tracked how long it took after being charged for the item to ship? That would be really nice to have SSB in the mailbox ON Friday.

Although it doesn't really matter since I'll also get the game via eShop with cards bought during the 25% Target sale (which was also confirmed in this thread...)

Keep it positive guys! :D

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
FutureShop says I've been "charged" for SSB, anyone tracked how long it took after being charged for the item to ship? That would be really nice to have SSB in the mailbox ON Friday.

Although it doesn't really matter since I'll also get the game via eShop with cards bought during the 25% Target sale (which was also confirmed in this thread...)

In my experience, both Best Buy and Future Shop usually charge the business day before they ship, so with any luck they'll ship today thereby resulting in a few of us getting it a deal early.

Back to topic: FutureShop says I've been "charged" for SSB, anyone tracked how long it took after being charged for the item to ship? That would be really nice to have SSB in the mailbox ON Friday.

Generally if you use a CC FS and BB charge early. That way you can either get it ON release day or maybe even a day early. It's a different story with Paypal where they charge as soon as they ship (I actually prefer this that's why I use Paypal). As is a common theme with our on-topic off-topic shipping woes, it also depends on where you live.

Also I sent Amazon an email about P4U asking what happened with it because I'm pretty sure it actually went backwards in order status which I've never seen happen.

This thread is for deals and general Canadian discussion, no need to split it in half and cut the traffic down. We should be grateful we have a little Canuck sanctuary amongst all the other threads to discuss general topics with an emphasis on the best gaming and other deals across Canada.

On topic though, I'm still riding high from the E3 pre order promo. All my games are coming for $55 shipped. Nothing has been able to beat that out. But I am on the lookout for PC components, ideally a i5 4670k for less than $250. I hope those deals start to surface.

Are there any good deals on either Forza Horizon 2 or Shadows of Mordor this week?

I can't see the issue about the different discussions in this thread.

This thread helped me score a XBone for 279$ during E3 with 1-day shipping.

I interpret the title as Canadian [Gaming deals and] Discussion Thread. For me, it's a nice thread to exchange with fellow canadian customers about our experience with buying stuff and such.

Pretty much this.

Honestly, I don't even come in here for the deals but to give suggestions or help out fellow Canadians whenever I can or ask for questions to all Canadian related when I can't. This is the only dedicated and lasting Canadian discussion thread and I don't mind it going places.

As for the deals alone, when there IS a deal that is worthy enough, it will be posted, reposted and talked about quite a lot usually that it is hard to miss if you do happen to visit GAF on a daily basis rather than once a few days or something.

Like other posters have already mentioned, if you want a strict Canadian Deals only, GameDealsCanada is a good alternative.

Back on the discussion, if there are people who haven't scored the E3 deals for the new games that are coming out, and also are not in a rush to play them right away, wait until the American Thanksgiving to see some nice deals around. Sure it will be worth the tine for Black Friday and all...

I really should have bought more of the point cards for 3DS/Wii U. Just bought both DK games. Now I'm left with the remainder on Smash and Pokemon.

I really should have bought more of the point cards for 3DS/Wii U. Just bought both DK games. Now I'm left with the remainder on Smash and Pokemon.

Same here, I only purchased one $50 card, but Nintendo games rarely go on any kind of real sale (lol at the current one), so they dont really last long, wished I had gotten some more.

espher

Both my orders of Smash just shipped from BB and FS. Maybe there's a slim chance I'll actually get them Friday rather than waiting all weekend for once.

This would be a nice first and hopefully a nice change of pace if it became policy for them. Seems every title I've pre-ordered to date has shipped Thursday/Friday and arrived Tuesday/Wednesday. East Coast wait is eternal.

Edit: At $24.99, the GC adapter does not qualify for Super Saver Shipping from Amazon haha.

mdubs

Banned
Pretty much this.

Honestly, I don't even come in here for the deals but to give suggestions or help out fellow Canadians whenever I can or ask for questions to all Canadian related when I can't. This is the only dedicated and lasting Canadian discussion thread and I don't mind it going places.

As for the deals alone, when there IS a deal that is worthy enough, it will be posted, reposted and talked about quite a lot usually that it is hard to miss if you do happen to visit GAF on a daily basis rather than once a few days or something.

Like other posters have already mentioned, if you want a strict Canadian Deals only, GameDealsCanada is a good alternative.

Truth.

Back on topic, it seems that my copy of Ultimax will be coming today, at least Best Buy didn't drop the ball too badly
;)

Uh, I think something at Amazon broke or bugged out

So Persona 4 Ultimax just showed up and UPS delivered it as opposed to the usual Canada Post. However on Amazon's site it says it's still "Preparing for Shipment" and I never got a tracking number or shipping notice from them. So weird.

So I guess if you ordered from Amazon it will probably show up sometime this week whenever it wants to without notice.

Krixeus

Back on the discussion, if there are people who haven't scored the E3 deals for the new games that are coming out, and also are not in a rush to play them right away, wait until the American Thanksgiving to see some nice deals around. Sure it will be worth the tine for Black Friday and all...

That's what I had originally planned to do for Shadows of Mordor, but after seeing all the praise it's been getting, I feel like I can't wait and wanna play that game this week.

Palehorse

So Persona 4 Ultimax just showed up and UPS delivered it as opposed to the usual Canada Post. However on Amazon's site it says it's still "Preparing for Shipment" and I never got a tracking number or shipping notice from them. So weird.

So I guess if you ordered from Amazon it will probably show up sometime this week whenever it wants to without notice.

That's heartening. So that others can learn from my experience with Amazon I will post that my copy of Shadows of Mordor is showing as prepping for shipment as of today, whereas Destiny was delivered release day.

Things we can learn from dealing with Amazon:
-Their website is slow to update sometimes
-Their shipments do not always guarantee first day delivery.
-Shipments to Victoria take on average one day upon shipping.

Please use this information when deliberating any deals you may find on Amazon.ca.

Has the Smash Bros Wii U bundle with the GameCube adapter and controller appeared online anywhere in Canada yet? I want to get the adapter but I'm holding out for the bundle to pop up.

iphys

Has the Smash Bros Wii U bundle with the GameCube adapter and controller appeared online anywhere in Canada yet? I want to get the adapter but I'm holding out for the bundle to pop up.

Yeah, I'm sort of interested in getting that bundle, but it doesn't seem to be anywhere in Canada. Maybe it will go up when they finally make the release date official.

My Shadow of Mordor showed up by UPS too. Weird thing is my Persona order came by Canada Post like usual even though they both shipped at the same time. But yeah the tracking on Mordor was weird, though I did get a shipping notice on time it was weird between that and actually getting the package.

espher

So I was looking at my invoice for SSB 3DS and noticed a shipping charge. I thought that was weird because Best Buy apparently offers free shipping for orders over $25, and this was part of a like $225 order. I then went back and looked at several of the other invoices from that order (from between October 2013 and today) and saw they had charged shipping on each item (and tax on the shipping, of course) -- about $4 on most, and one of them $10 for a single PS3 game (no special packaging).

I checked three other orders I placed with them (two last October and one from the E3 deal this year) and none of them showing shipping charges. It's bizarre because the shipping total listed is basically the cumulative shipping amount for the five of six pieces that have shipped, so I'm wondering if I'll suddenly get dinged with something else.

I fired off an e-mail to see about getting an adjustment (hopefully they answer, Future Shop sure as hell didn't about my Layton vs. Wright shipment), but has anyone run into this with them before?

Fake edit: I found the Paypal invoice and the total matches... it's bizarre then that 5/6 items apparently have shipping charges and the last one doesn't... maybe it's on me but it's bizarre that none of these have had free shipping. (Real edit: n/m, I'm bad at math, it's 5*4 + 1*10, for some reason I was doing 4*5.)

What does Chromecast have to do with it?

I've no real insight into that specific TV but it's a cheap as fuck TV - as long as you know that'll be represented in the picture quality then all will be good.

Referring to Chromecast probably means he doesn't need any smart features in the TV since he will get all streaming services through the Chromecast. About picture quality it's probably a known fact it won't be like top tier TV but the savings can make up for that for many people, not everyone has the same requiremtns :)

kennah

I've no real insight into that specific TV but it's a cheap as fuck TV - as long as you know that'll be represented in the picture quality then all will be good.

I should have been more clear - it comes with one for free.

Referring to Chromecast probably means he doesn't need any smart features in the TV since he will get all streaming services through the Chromecast. About picture quality it's probably a known fact it won't be like top tier TV but the savings can make up for that for many people, not everyone has the same requiremtns :)

Yep, as long as it shows 1080p relatively crisp (which it should at native res, so no scaling needed) I'm happy. I don't need lots of advanced features or perfect picture quality. Hell, my current TV is only 720p at 40" as it is.

The highest resolution device in our entire house is my Samsung Galaxy S4 at 1080p.

More was wondering if people had any experience with this TV and knew of any specific problems that I should watch out for.

vulva

from the page:
1 Special Offer

BONUS Google Chromecast with any 32” or larger Insignia TV

Cheerilee

Nobody cares if you or me have been posting here for a century, this thread is basically the community hub for Canadians here on NeoGaf and nobody gets to control what the rest of us are talking about as long as nobody is going against the terms of the forums! I can't see anybody claiming he's more important than anybody else,
You three dismissed valid complaints that have been brought up more than a few times, from a pair of Canadian Gaffers because "who are you" and "you've never contributed". I had assumed you were referring to time, and thought you might pay attention if someone with a lower member number than you spoke up, but I guess you were referring to post count, and you in particular are the king in that regard.

also your subtle threatening of closing the thread is really unexplainable to me!

Yes we all get annoyed sometimes of all the shipping talk but we can't tell any gaffer to shut their mouth because nobody cares if they got their games on time or not! If people wanna talk and share their experiences then it's up to them.

It wasn't a threat, it was a warning. Telling newbies to conform or get lost is exactly the kind of behavior that gets megathreads killed. You said that "nobody cares" if newcomers don't like reading this thread? Well, I care if newcomers get chased away from this thread, directly or indirectly. I also care if veterans get chased away from this thread. And if you notice, I never said anyone should stop talking, I asked if we could tone it down a little. I don't want to lose this thread. I also don't want to walk away from it.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
So I was looking at my invoice for SSB 3DS and noticed a shipping charge. I thought that was weird because Best Buy apparently offers free shipping for orders over $25, and this was part of a like $225 order. I then went back and looked at several of the other invoices from that order (from between October 2013 and today) and saw they had charged shipping on each item (and tax on the shipping, of course) -- about $4 on most, and one of them $10 for a single PS3 game (no special packaging).

I checked three other orders I placed with them (two last October and one from the E3 deal this year) and none of them showing shipping charges. It's bizarre because the shipping total listed is basically the cumulative shipping amount for the five of six pieces that have shipped, so I'm wondering if I'll suddenly get dinged with something else.

I fired off an e-mail to see about getting an adjustment (hopefully they answer, Future Shop sure as hell didn't about my Layton vs. Wright shipment), but has anyone run into this with them before?

Fake edit: I found the Paypal invoice and the total matches... it's bizarre then that 5/6 items apparently have shipping charges and the last one doesn't... maybe it's on me but it's bizarre that none of these have had free shipping. (Real edit: n/m, I'm bad at math, it's 5*4 + 1*10, for some reason I was doing 4*5.)
Don't bother with emailing support, call them.

Sora_N

That's so weird.

My order was from Sept 2012, I think it used to be $20 for free shipping.

Product Total

$24.99

Shipping

No charge

Subtotal

$24.99

BC HST

$3.00

Order Total

$27.99

So I changed my info on my Future Shop orders last night. I checked them just now and it says that the total for all 3 orders has been charged, but only my Smash order cannot be edited (so the only one actually charged?) The shipping info for one of them also reverted back to the original, which is the same address, but it is weird.

Smash better be here by Friday...

Top Bottom