• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 5: Much Ado Aboot Shipping

Coincidentally, a woman sitting infront of me on the bus this Friday had a n3DS and was playing Pokemon Candy Crush (whatever it's called) and later on, Monster Hunter 4. I was bummed because I usually have my 3DS but have been recently getting through some Vita backlog. A few days before that I was working late and when I was coming home the guy who got on the same stop as me pulled out a laptop and started watching Justice League. I used to be hung up on things like that but started caring less eventually. If it is an overly crowded bus I still get a little self conscious and end up listening to music or watching GiantBomb on my phone.

Well, at least you were raking in those near gifts.

krae_man

So guys... I want to share an experience I had today that FUCKING PISSES ME OFF but whatever...

So I needed a good old Composite cable this afternoon to install an old VCR I gave to my parents (yes...they still watch VHS tapes lol)...

I know I could buy one of those cable for a couple of cents online but I needed it right away so I did a couple of stores (dollard stores, The Source, etc) and none had any in stock.

Futureshop had them but huh.....yeah.....Fuck that shit

Ended up going to a Super Club Videotron (the video stores owned by Videotron where they also sell their own cellphones and DVRs) and asked the dude if he had any.

The guy looks under the counter and pulls one out (just a loose cable, no packaging or anything) and tell me it's gonna be 10$...

I'm like.. Ok... A bit expensive but whatever I really need it. So we go to the cash, he inputs 10$ on the debit card terminal (10$ flat, no taxes obviously) and then pockets 10$ right away from the cash register. The guy is fucking dumb enough to not even wait for me to get out of the store first.

So I tell him "That's an easy 10 bucks huh?" and he replies, on the defensive "No no, it's going to my boss"... Yeah right.

The funny part is that I used to work at a Super Club Videotron 10 or so years ago and used the debit terminal to whitdraw money from my bank account all the time (saves on the fees and the trip to the ATM) so I'm sure the manager is used to seeing the register and Debit card balancing themselves like that.

At the end of the day 10$ is still better than paying 32$ + Tx at FS and I really needed it right away but this is pissing me off right now....ugh

Why didn't you go to a dollar store?

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I have so many extra component cables that I've given those to my parents in the past when they've needed a set of composite cables.

So guys... I want to share an experience I had today that FUCKING PISSES ME OFF but whatever...

So I needed a good old Composite cable this afternoon to install an old VCR I gave to my parents (yes...they still watch VHS tapes lol)...

I know I could buy one of those cable for a couple of cents online but I needed it right away so I did a couple of stores (dollard stores, The Source, etc) and none had any in stock.

Futureshop had them but huh.....yeah.....Fuck that shit

Ended up going to a Super Club Videotron (the video stores owned by Videotron where they also sell their own cellphones and DVRs) and asked the dude if he had any.

The guy looks under the counter and pulls one out (just a loose cable, no packaging or anything) and tell me it's gonna be 10$...

I'm like.. Ok... A bit expensive but whatever I really need it. So we go to the cash, he inputs 10$ on the debit card terminal (10$ flat, no taxes obviously) and then pockets 10$ right away from the cash register. The guy is fucking dumb enough to not even wait for me to get out of the store first.

So I tell him "That's an easy 10 bucks huh?" and he replies, on the defensive "No no, it's going to my boss"... Yeah right.

The funny part is that I used to work at a Super Club Videotron 10 or so years ago and used the debit terminal to whitdraw money from my bank account all the time (saves on the fees and the trip to the ATM) so I'm sure the manager is used to seeing the register and Debit card balancing themselves like that.

At the end of the day 10$ is still better than paying 32$ + Tx at FS and I really needed it right away but this is pissing me off right now....ugh

Er...monoprice.com

ohlawd

Holy shit people need to start reading posts before replying to them.

GAF rule #1: assume no one reads
GAF rule #2: if they did read your post, assume it's read partially
GAF rule #3: and if they actually read your post all the way through and as the last and most important rule, assume they didn't understand

Grimsen

If you ever need cables in the Montreal area, and can't wait for online orders, you could always check out Addison or Mastervox.

GAF rule #3: and if they actually read your post all the way through and as the last and most important rule, assume they didn't understand

GAF rule #4 even if they read your post, assume it's read partially

N° 2048

Er...monoprice.com

It's taking forever for controllers to go on sale, and for these companies to announce new themes. It's frustrating, lol.

Sorry I'm a broken record!

zroid

Banned
I finally went to Target (East York). The only am***os they had left were of Mario :lol

40% off movies is pretty good but since they're using MSRP it's a bit of a non-starter, even so. Better deals at other times during the year.

I want to get Desolation of Smaug Extended Edition, but it's still like 20 bucks after the discount. I'll wait a bit longer, maybe I can snag it for 60% off in a few weeks.

I'm patiently waiting for EB to update that Trade In Offers page, since it's a new month. Those 30% bonus credit power trade titles are usually a good place to get some decent value for a few games I'm done with. Hoping FF Type-0 is there.

IceIpor

Hey you sick Canadians.
Just wanted to inform you that locked up pharmacy goods at Target are now 40% off.
They were since Saturday apparently.
So get your cold/advil/allergy medicine while you can~.

Technically I'm on vaca this week and my last official date of employment is March 7th... Knowing my luck, March 8th stores will announce final closing dates, lol

tears of happiness if that happens

what department did you work anyway? flow/backroom/sales?

Hey you sick Canadians.
Just wanted to inform you that locked up pharmacy goods at Target are now 40% off.

i miss the pharmacy peoples there :(, really cool guys

Hey you sick Canadians.

Hmm, while they wouldn't be locked up. I should see if they supplements on clearance. Winter's not over yet, need more vitamin D!

jholmes

Hey you sick Canadians.

I had a rough cold like a week ago and went to Target specifically for this and wasn't impressed with the discount on the pharmacy side. Maybe it was a sign?

IceIpor

Hmm, while they wouldn't be locked up. I should see if they supplements on clearance. Winter's not over yet, need more vitamin D!
They are probably only 25% off.
I had a rough cold like a week ago and went to Target specifically for this and wasn't impressed with the discount on the pharmacy side. Maybe it was a sign?
Well, you better get them soon if you still need it. Once the pharmacy leaves the store, Target is no longer legally able to sell them at that location!

Maximus.

It's taking forever for controllers to go on sale, and for these companies to announce new themes. It's frustrating, lol.

Sorry I'm a broken record!

It is also taking forever for Sony to bring over official accessories to North America and some colors for controllers too!

MEGATON

https://www.ebgames.ca/Recycled%20Offers/Index

EB now using eligible trade lists to show you which games are eligible for a promotion.

Even with that, it still depends on whether the person working at EB accepts it. Sometimes their computers have lower trade values, and they can get away with it by pointing to the fine print: "This is only a guide. Trade values are constantly changing. Please consult your local EB Games for the most updated trade values."

jholmes

Well, you better get them soon if you still need it. Once the pharmacy leaves the store, Target is no longer legally able to sell them at that location!

Nah, I'm hale and hearty now. I'm planning on heading by Target soon anyway. Maybe I'll pick up some Pepto.

khaaan

RED TEXT - NEW DEALish

Swung by target to see what's up. Games at 25% off, not much worthwhile left but it also applied to game hardware and there was a healthy stock of Vita, PSTV and 360 Kinects. I almost bit the bullet on a "backup" Vita and a PSTV but realized I don't need either of those. YMMV.

Also, today I learned that Quebec uses PEGI.
Did a double take when I saw the logo and was confused for a sec.

i-Jest

RED TEXT - NEW DEALish

Swung by target to see what's up. Games at 25% off, not much worthwhile left but it also applied to game hardware and there was a healthy stock of Vita, PSTV and 360 Kinects. I almost bit the bullet on a "backup" Vita and a PSTV but realized I don't need either of those. YMMV.

Any chance games will go for a deeper discount sometime soon?

Renewed

I didn't know Best Buy Reward Zone gives you a 20% off coupon on your birth month for online game orders of $40+. Suddenly everything seems approachable.

RED TEXT - NEW DEALish

... Quebec uses PEGI? Since when? Is that why I see random used copies of games here in Toronto and some of them are rated by PEGI instead of the ESRB?

Megasoum

Banned
... Quebec uses PEGI? Since when? Is that why I see random used copies of games here in Toronto and some of them are rated by PEGI instead of the ESRB?

Huh...no we don't... Unless it's an imported copy from France to have the french track but I've never seen it myself.

All North America games are using ESRB

Not really a deal, but I thought I'd ask Canada-GAF.

Has anyone gotten any shipping notification about their Smash 4 CD from CN? I'm getting slightly worried as I'm seeing people get it and I still have recieved no shipping information.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Huh...no we don't... Unless it's an imported copy from France to have the french track but I've never seen it myself.

Only time I ever saw that was for a Prof Layton game on the DS, since the game wasn't multilingual for some reason.

All North America games are using ESRB

I find that hard to believe.

Huh, yeah, according to Wikipedia PEGI only rates some games which have French tracks in it, or whatever.

But yeah occasionally at like, an EB Games, you'll find the rare 1 or 2 used PS3 copies of some random game rated by PEGI in store. Since it's a PS3 game it doesn't really make a difference anyway, still weird to find them around in an EB Games.

There was one time where I found a used Japanese copy of Armoured Core 5 or 4 in EB Games though even though I originally thought they wouldn't take those in for trade in's at all. This was also like... 2-3 years ago

Top Bottom