• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian PoliGAF - 42nd Parliament: Sunny Ways in Trudeaupia

Status
Not open for further replies.

CazTGG

Any update on the $5 for membership via Bernier?

CPC and Green of all parties has an increase in support? I admit I have issues with electoral reform being dropped along with Trudeau's lackluster response towards Canadians being detained at the border but if Leitch/O'Leary/<insert all social conservatives in the running here> wins, i'm voting liberal no matter what.

Sakura

This article states:
They are the largest generation in Canada and will make up the largest portion of the electorate in 2019 which will mark the end of Baby Boomer dominance in deciding elections.
But is this true? The median age in Canada is over 40 years old. That means that 50% of the country is over the age of 40. According to the article, in the next election, millennials will be the biggest part of the electorate. It also states that millennials are people aged 18 to 36 today.
So, with median age taken into account, less than half the population is under the age of 40. Of that group, millennials are only a portion (currently those 18 to 36). Younger people also have the lowest voter turnout. How is it possible that in the next election they will be the largest portion of the electorate...?

This article states:
But is this true? The median age in Canada is over 40 years old. That means that 50% of the country is over the age of 40. According to the article, in the next election, millennials will be the biggest part of the electorate. It also states that millennials are people aged 18 to 36 today.
So, with median age taken into account, less than half the population is under the age of 40. Of that group, millennials are only a portion (currently those 18 to 36). Younger people also have the lowest voter turnout. How is it possible that in the next election they will be the largest portion of the electorate...?

There's Generation X, in between Millennials and Boomers, so not everyone over 40 is a Boomer.

Sakura

There's Generation X, in between Millennials and Boomers, so not everyone over 40 is a Boomer.

Yes. But I don't see how Millennials would make up the largest part of the electorate.
Even if he is only comparing generations, saying of the generations who will make up the electorate, Millennials will be the biggest, Baby Boomers today are 53 to 71 years old. They aren't going to die off in 2 years. They also typically have turn outs of 70~%, while if millennials get a turnout in the 50s it's considered higher than normal. They aren't going to be the biggest factor in the next election.
The article reads like it's written by a Millennial and seems clearly biased to Millenials. Within the same article, he writes:
(Note, this is a different survey than the data we released yesterday. I'm using this data because of the much larger sample size, even though it's a week older)
The more recent survey they released shows millennial support at 40%, not 42% like this article. But he chooses to rather use the older survey in this article, because of a "much bigger sample size", when they only have a margin of error difference of 1.6 to 2.6.
I dunno, it just reads like a somewhat biased article to me.

Nobody remembers Gen X. Also it's people who can vote, not necessarily do vote.
Yes but the article specifically says, "mark the end of Baby Boomer dominance in deciding elections". If you don't vote you don't decide elections.

Yes. But I don't see how Millennials would make up the largest part of the electorate.
Even if he is only comparing generations, saying of the generations who will make up the electorate, Millennials will be the biggest, Baby Boomers today are 53 to 71 years old. They aren't going to die off in 2 years. They also typically have turn outs of 70~%, while if millennials get a turnout in the 50s it's considered higher than normal. They aren't going to be the biggest factor in the next election.
The article reads like it's written by a Millennial and seems clearly biased to Millenials. Within the same article, he writes: The more recent survey they released shows millennial support at 40%, not 42% like this article. But he chooses to rather use the older survey in this article, because of a "much bigger sample size", when they only have a margin of error difference of 1.6 to 2.6.
I dunno, it just reads like a somewhat biased article to me.

Well, it only said "biggest", not most important. Canadian millennials shouldn't be confused for their lazier American cousins though. Millennial turnout in the 2015 election was laudable, and the younger millennials are more politically active than their older counterparts too.

http://www.elections.ca/content.aspx?section=res&dir=rec/eval/pes2015/vtsa&document=table1&lang=e

Sakura

Well, it only said "biggest", not most important. Canadian millennials shouldn't be confused for their lazier American cousins though. Millennial turnout in the 2015 election was laudable, and the younger millennials are more politically active than their older counterparts too.

http://www.elections.ca/content.aspx?section=res&dir=rec/eval/pes2015/vtsa&document=table1&lang=e

57% turnout is laudable?
Millennials had a terrible turnout in the 2011 election. 2015 election was up in every age group. For all we know next election it will be back down to the 40s for the millennials.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I am now a member of the Conservative Party of Canada, something I never thought would happen in my lifetime. What a world.

vgh7vW8.png

(Drinking a little bit during the Toronto-GAF meet up made it easier to just throw cash at the CPC lol)

silvon

What's the best way to vote to minimize the chances of Leitch or O'Leary from being elected? Should I put their names at the bottom, should I just exclude them, or...?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
What's the best way to vote to minimize the chances of Leitch or O'Leary from being elected? Should I put their names at the bottom, should I just exclude them, or...?
You know, if the ballot is only 10 max, then yeah, you don't even need to include them.

djkimothy

So, I'm considering moving from America to Toronto for a Uni program. I got to tour today, it was wonderful, your country is beautiful. I was just curious if any of you had a place you turn to more than any other for news or to understand Canadian politics. Given our recent (and terrifying) turn towards fascism, is there similar fear in Canada? During my visit I was asked about it a bit, so I was curious what the climate is like over on your side of the border.

As others said. CBC is my go to. I tend to avoid National Post, especially with John Ivison. Don't get me started on the "[city] sun". Avoid those like the plague.

The fear is always there. But the results of the party leadership of the federal conservative party will be telling in what direction the conservative wing will take. I wait with bated breath...

In general, just avoid everything Postmedia owns. They're on their way to bankruptcy within the year, but they're still garbage from top to bottom.

I don't think anyone else has mentioned iPolitics, so I will. They're just about the only publication left in Canada that does smaller-scale political reporting, and they're only going to improve now that Kady O'Malley is on board.

Any update on the $5 for membership via Bernier?

Seemingly only available at his events, according to the friend who told me in the first place.

Just leave them off entirely! Put people like Chong, Raitt and O'Toole at the top, include a few no-hopers like Obhrai and Peterson, maybe include Bernier if you're okay with hardcore libertarianism, and maybe Scheer if you want them to continue with a Harper-style approach to social conservatism of tacit approval, but not doing anything overtly terrible. Avoid Trost, Blaney, Lemieux, and Saxton entirely, and be careful about Alexander -- he led a chant of "Lock her up!" in Alberta and he took part in some anti-Muslim protest sponsored by the Rebel, but he also refused to sign a Canadian Taxpayers Federation pledge and talks about improving the social safety net.

Mr.Mike

Ontario Progressive Conservatives Tracking Toward Super Majority

In a random sampling of public opinion taken by the Forum Poll&#8482; among 1,120 Ontario voters, amongst decided and leaning voters, the Progressive Conservatives have extended nearly a twenty-point lead over their nearest rival in the province. If an election were held today the PCs would get (44%), the NDP (25%), the Liberals (24%), and Green (6%). The Progressive Conservatives have a broad base of support across Ontario. They now have a clear lead in four of six regions: 905 (47%), Eastern Ontario (49%), Southwestern Ontario (42%), and North Eastern Ontario (46%), and they (37%) are statistically tied with the Liberals (34%) in Toronto. The only region where PCs don't lead is Northwestern Ontario, where NDP hold the advantage by six percent (39% - 33%).

In 2018 the Ontario Legislature expands to 122 seats. If these results were projected up to seats in the expanded Legislature, the PCs would win 84, the NDP would secure 27, and the Liberals just 11.

Hydro rates and lack of trust in government will determine the votes of slightly more than 5-in-10 voters, with the ever-increasing cost of hydro as the dominant motivating factor for a plurality of voters with (31%). Lack of trust in government is second at (23%). None of the above (11%) and don't know (10%) follow well back. Issues with little traction include trust in government (7%), tuition rates (6%), revised sexual education curriculum (5%), and the local candidate (5%), which are all virtually tied. Party loyalty is almost completely a non-factor in the upcoming election (3%). ”The Progressive Conservatives have a commanding lead over both the NDP and Liberals, but even when facing a governing party with a historically unpopular leader they must remain disciplined and error free in their campaign to ensure they achieve the majority they desire. The Liberals have effectively capitalized on PC mistakes in the past, so to have the best chance of winning the Progressive Conservatives can't afford to make any," said Dr. Lorne Bozinoff, President of Forum Research.

Read more at: http://poll.forumresearch.com/post/2666/progressive-conservatives-tracking-toward-super-majority/
Copyright ©Forum Research Inc.

Is there anything a party can do with a super majority in the legislature they couldn't with a majority? In any case, I think most people can agree that the Ontario Liberals need at least a time out, whether or not you'd prefer the PC's or NDP to be in power for that time-out.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The NDP ahead of the Liberals in Ontario, even by 1%, is kind of hilarious. Although I feel like Wynn somehow accidentally won the last election anyway, so maybe people are just finally ready to move on.

SRG01

The NDP ahead of the Liberals in Ontario, even by 1%, is kind of hilarious. Although I feel like Wynn somehow accidentally won the last election anyway, so maybe people are just finally ready to move on.

Ugh, we're gonna a see a repeat of the Harris days, aren't we? :(

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
So, I'm considering moving from America to Toronto for a Uni program. etc.

All you can do is vote, but given the united right....uh, if a democratic election that results in a government from right of centre is completely unacceptable to you, then Canada is not the place for you. It's very possible at any time. I wouldn't vote for them, but they're a large force that can get ~40 percent of the popular vote at any given time.

Canada is a complex place with very complex divisions. You can see ones over politics, but you can see even older ones between the English and French and Europeans and the natives. There are completely different geopolitical concerns in Canada.

It's 20 months until the next election, and it's Forum. I wouldn't place too much stock in it. Not saying that the Liberals are on track to win or anything, but all things considered, I wouldn't place too much faith when we're so far from the election.

Ugh, we're gonna a see a repeat of the Harris days, aren't we? :(

Almost guaranteed to happen. Ontario politics is a shit show of epic proportions. Bonus points if the NDP gets elected after the fact to fix all the problems, only to get blamed for everything and get shunted for another 30 years.

Mr.Mike

http://chrisalexander.ca

Chris Alexander actually has some good policy on his site. I get the impression he is pretty smart, but shameless in trying to appeal to people who might otherwise reject him for being an 'elite'.

As Prime Minister of Canada I would:

(i) expand Canada's surface combatant fleet on both the Atlantic and Pacific coasts to ensure the Royal Canadian Navy can sustain deployments to the Eastern Pacific and Indian Oceans and the Mediterranean and Baltic Seas;

(ii) add one amphibious assault ship &#8211; with capabilities to support humanitarian, peace support or combat missions similar to those of the US America-class, Australian Canberra-class or French Mistral-class &#8211; to each of the Atlantic and Pacific fleets;

(iii) establish a Canadian Arctic fleet capable of operating continuously in all Arctic environments, with potential support bases at Churchill, Manitoba; Iqaluit, Nunavut; and Tuktoyaktuk, Northwest Territories;

(iv) initiate planning for the replacement of Canada's current submarines with a nuclear-powered fleet with full Arctic capability;

(v) increase the Canadian Army to a permanent force of 50,000;

(vi) enhance the size and capabilities of reserve regiments in all regions;

(vii) replace Canada's current fighter jets with the best capability available to counter Russian and other threats to Canadian airspace;

(viii) develop next generation surveillance, refuelling and drone capabilities in Canada;

(ix) re-establish a Canadian space launch capability;

(x) ensure superior Canadian remote sensing, intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance architecture and capabilities;

(xi) establish a space and cyber-defence command and capability with a full spectrum of operational capabilities to prevent and deter attacks;

(xii) join the NORAD continental Ballistic Missile Defence programme and form an integrated continental maritime command;

(xiii) acquire additional helicopter and fixed-wing ground attack capability;

(xiv) establish a standalone defence procurement agency modelled on the current Australian, French and/or Dutch equivalents; and

(xv) set the NATO target for defence spending of 2% of GDP as a medium-term objective for Canada.

As Leader of the Conservative Party and Prime Minister of Canada I would:

(i) set a goal of 50% of Canadian exports outside North America by 2050;

(ii) ratify, promote and implement CETA as quickly as possible;

(iii) invite the United Kingdom to join an enlarged NAFTA;

(iv) champion the Trans Pacific Partnership, if necessary with reduced participation;

(v) complete modern, bilateral, comprehensive stand-alone free trade agreements with Japan, India, Australia and New Zealand;

(vi) expand Canada's trade promotion and trade finance network;

(vii) strongly promote Canadian creative, cultural, design, educational and gaming exports;

(viii) with leading Canadian firms, establish global networks of excellence in quantum computing; robotics and automation; artificial intelligence; space and aerospace; biotechnology; clean-tech; advanced transportation; advanced mining and materials; data management, privacy and the internet of things;

(ix) make free trade with China conditional on progress towards freedom of speech, free markets, democracy and human rights; and

(x) in partnership with Canadian exporters and investors, take a regional approach to Canadian diplomacy, development and security assistance, as well as institution-building in Africa, South Asia, the Middle East and the Caribbean.

As Leader of the Conservative Party and Prime Minister of Canada I would:

(i) lower all taxes on small business, including payroll taxes;

(ii) ensure corporate taxes remained lower than those of our major competitors;

(iii) promote investment in Canadian start-up and growth companies;

(iv) incentivize all universities, colleges, centres of excellence and other post-secondary institutions to partner with incubators, accelerators and companies of all sizes;

(v) work with corporate Canada and all partners involved in education and training to highlight the skills, skilled trades, digital fluency and entrepreneurship required by successful companies in the new economy;

(vi) update Canadian intellectual property law to ensure the global success of our technology, financial, advanced manufacturing, cultural and other sectors;

(vii) in partnership with industry, agree a plan to achieve 3% of GDP combined public-private sector spending on research and development by 2025;

(viii) reduce the regulatory and compliance burden on all Canadian exporters while ensuring exceptional quality and full protection of workers, consumers and the environment;

(ix) build pipelines, port facilities and other infrastructure to support the success of Canada's energy, mining and metals, agri-food, forest and fisheries sectors;

(x) enlarge Canada's trade and investment support network to ensure high rates of growth in Canadian exports to all continents;

(xi) brand Canada as a centre of start-up excellence, a destination of choice for top talent, and a globally-connected full-service economic leader; and

(xii) engage Canada's leading start-ups and exporters continuously to deliver this agenda.

I think it is essential that we figure out a non-garbage way to do military procurement. And it is essential that we are able to project power in the Arctic if we are to have real sovereignty over it. Cyber-warfare, silly as the term is, is probably the biggest defense issue not getting anywhere near as much attention as it needs, so it's good to see it make it into a platform. The specific 2% of GDP spending target I'm not actually a fan of. I know it's a NATO commitment and all, but if we can have satisfactory defense for less then there's no point in spending more, and if it would cost more then we should spend what it would take to have a satisfactory defense.

I like the move to diversify where we export too. Even outside of how I might feel politically about the current occupants of the White House, it would be good for sovereignty for our economy to not be so deeply dependent on a single other country and its economy. I also really like the focus on areas where Canada has an advantage, instead of desperately trying to bring back the economy of yesterday. And more generally on embracing economic and technological change and working to benefit from it instead of fearing it.

Payroll taxes are Employment Insurance and Canada Pension Plan.

There's no need for that to be reduced. The only employers affected here are those who pay minimum wages.

(vi) update Canadian intellectual property law to ensure the global success of our technology, financial, advanced manufacturing, cultural and other sectors;

I'm not sure what that's about. We file patents in the US. Patent trolls and software patents are a huge problem because of the US. Pharmaceutical patents are also a problem, with things like new drugs that are no better than older ones for which patents have expired. Laws that try to protect movies and songs are often more problematic than the piracy they try to fix.

Mr.Mike

Payroll taxes are Employment Insurance and Canada Pension Plan.

There's no need for that to be reduced. The only employers affected here are those who pay minimum wages.

Payroll taxes are a shitty political move anyway because the tax incidence is really almost entirely on the worker, but it makes the the tax rate seem smaller than it really is. What it does create though is a situation where employees think they cost their employer X, but actually they cost their employer X + payroll taxes + other BS too. So you have two sides negotiating but one side has a distorted idea of how much they are worth to the company. They might argue that they bring more than X dollars in profit for the employer, and thus deserve W dollars more, but really they cost the employer Y and it would cost Z more dollars to give them W dollars more. The amount employers are willing to pay is Y, and if the amount their willing to pay goes up or down than X will go up or down proportionally. If payroll taxes were reduced, you can imagine than that if a company way willing to pay Y for an employee they would still be willing to pay Y for an employee, but now more of it goes to the employee. At the end of the day payroll taxes reduce the employees earnings, not the employers, because the employer would in theory be paying Y anyway, but now the employee gets X instead of Y.

That said, savings rates are already really low and I wouldn't want to see CPP contributions cut, or the CPP expansion rolled back. I'm less sympathetic for EI.

mo60

I'm not sure if being ahead by one point matters for the NDP since the Liberals are still going to win a lot of seats in seat rich areas in ontario still to prevent them from ending up in third place if the NDP is not much higher then them in polls. The NDP probably needs to be ahead by like three or four points to make it possible for the Ontario liberals to drop from 1st to 3rd after the next ontario election.

Edit: If that forum poll is right the Liberals might be at a huge disadvantage in terms of seat count if the ndp can potentially get significantly more seats after the 2018 provincial election then them if the NDP is only ahead of them by 1 percent in that forum poll.

Chris Alexander actually has some good policy on his site. I get the impression he is pretty smart, but shameless in trying to appeal to people who might otherwise reject him for being an 'elite'.

He has an impressive background, for sure, but it's totally at odds with the fact he comes across like an idiot every time he opens his mouth. Sometimes it's mind-numbingly vacuous platitudes, other times it's dogwhistle racist garbage, but regardless, it's sure to make you wonder how he managed to achieve so much. It also makes it impossible to know when to take him seriously -- like, does he actually believe in Red Tory-influenced public policy? Or is he the guy who stood next to Kellie Leitch to propose the barbaric cultural practices hotline, spoke at an anti-Muslim rally sponsored by The Rebel, and led a crowd in Alberta chanting "Lock her up" at Rachel Notley?

CazTGG

Chris Alexander is a non-starter mainly for his time as Minister of Immigration and his awful C-24 garbage.

Also worth noting is that, while Leitch (rightfully) gets an earful for the "barbaric cultural practices hotline", it was designed by both Chris Alexander and her: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...-cultural-practices-tip-line/article26640072/

”We need to stand up for our values," Mr. Alexander said. ”We need to do that in citizenship ceremonies. We need to do that to protect women and girls from forced marriage and other barbaric practices."

He's a raging bigot cloaked in sheep's skin.

Sean C

He has an impressive background, for sure, but it's totally at odds with the fact he comes across like an idiot every time he opens his mouth.
Yeah, his time as a minister totally baffled the Ottawa press corps for precisely that reason, as they'd previously had a high opinion of him from his time as a diplomat, but as a politician he ended up fitting right in amongst Harper's most mendacious circle of partisans.

gabbo

Let's compare JT's butt to Donald's infinite abyss... there is no contest

2e23y0y.jpg

Looks like a diaper in there

Also worth noting is that, while Leitch (rightfully) gets an earful for the "barbaric cultural practices hotline", it was designed by both Chris Alexander and her: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...-cultural-practices-tip-line/article26640072/

He's a raging bigot cloaked in sheep's skin.

But he gets all choked up about it when it's brought up. Totally remorseful

But he gets all choked up about it when it's brought up. Totally remorseful

Leitch cried fake tears about it too, just before she decided to go full-on Trump.

Lisa Raitt tweets: ''Chicken''

O'Leary backing out of the next bilingual debate in Edmonton.

Not just the next bilingual debate, but the last debate officially organized by the CPC -- which means that any from here on out won't be bilingual. By skipping this, he's made it possible for him to go from now until the vote without having to speak a single word of unscripted French.

Sean C

Not just the next bilingual debate, but the last debate officially organized by the CPC -- which means that any from here on out won't be bilingual. By skipping this, he's made it possible for him to go from now until the vote without having to speak a single word of unscripted French.
I can't imagine that will go over well in the CPC's Quebec/New Brunswick constituencies. Doesn't strike me as a winning strategy (though when you're not bilingual, maybe you don't have any good options).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom