• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian PoliGAF - 42nd Parliament: Sunny Ways in Trudeaupia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apathy

I can't imagine that will go over well in the CPC's Quebec/New Brunswick constituencies. Doesn't strike me as a winning strategy (though when you're not bilingual, maybe you don't have any good options).

No idea what the top if the party is thinking seeeing O'Leary at the top and can't speak French unless he's phonetically reading what he wants to say off a sheet of paper. Like they need to know it's an impossibility to get him elected across all of Canada since he can't speak French.

Apathy

That sounds like a dare that sadly ontario might be up to. I really don't know what Toronto is thinking half the time. i mean... rob ford!

You can blame amalgamation for that. When you mix some conservative subburbs that outnumber the liberal city, you end up getting things that fuck over toronto proper to benefit etobicoke and scarborough (like that fucking subway they want to build into scarborough)

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Well, because of the united right, anything is possible, blame FPTP/gutter_trash. This isn't 1993.

I'm only teasing, gutter_trash, but really, the Liberals going back on this promise is not a good thing, and no, the left shouldn't join the Liberals.

So sitting in some meetings today, seems like Canada is going to try to stick up for Mexico on some areas of NAFTA? Definitely a good thing if we can stay on the good side of both the US and Mexico, and try to capitalize on the huge anti-US sentiment currently in Mexico.

gabbo

Leitch cried fake tears about it too, just before she decided to go full-on Trump.

Not just the next bilingual debate, but the last debate officially organized by the CPC -- which means that any from here on out won't be bilingual. By skipping this, he's made it possible for him to go from now until the vote without having to speak a single word of unscripted French.
Hasnt she mostly given up on that line now? He's still trying to come off as sorry for it, despite appearances otherwise isnt he?

Ac30

So sitting in some meetings today, seems like Canada is going to try to stick up for Mexico on some areas of NAFTA? Definitely a good thing if we can stay on the good side of both the US and Mexico, and try to capitalize on the huge anti-US sentiment currently in Mexico.

Enlisting Mexico as a negotiating partner is a great idea to force America's hand. Smart.

Today's "Kellie Leitch Is Horrible" news: This video.

You can't tell me this isn't a Maria Bamford character.

Whats there to talk about, the petition on the government website has almost hit 130,000 signatures, and is by far the most signed petition on the government's website and it closes in 2 days... not that it'll do anything since Trudeau has put his foot down pretty hard on the topic.

Whenever your position is "x or nothing" you should never be surprised when you get nothing.

Enlisting Mexico as a negotiating partner is a great idea to force America's hand. Smart.

I dunno if it'll come to that. I was thinking more along the lines of Mexico coming to Canada for business (ie. buying Canadian nuclear reactors instead of American etc.)

Pedrito

Poor Kellie, she's trying so hard yet she doesn't seem to grasp that the populism card doesn't work if you don't have an ounce of charisma.

The content of Leitch's video is kind of terrifying if you think about it for too long, but luckily it was delivered in such a bizarre way that it's bringing her all kinds of scorn and mockery. It'll be interesting to see if this changes her poll numbers at all -- I think CPCers will go for all kinds of bad ideas, but if the person is just being laughed at for being inept, that seems like it should hurt.

Poor Kellie, she's trying so hard yet she doesn't seem to grasp that the populism card doesn't work if you don't have an ounce of charisma.

It's not just that she's completely lacking in charisma, it's that she comes off as incredibly smug and insincere. Trump, for all his faults, knows that if you're going to grift people, you need to be believable and commit to it. Leitch fails at it completely. I was going to say that there's some gender-based analysis you could do about female politicians and populism, but then I remembered Canadian politicians like Deb Grey and Sheila Copps, who played the populist card pretty well. Leitch is just really bad at it.

And speaking of being bad at grifting: Kevin O’Leary says he can’t be bought, sets $50,000 fundraiser minimum
My favourite parts:
Kevin O'Leary said:
“Yeah, I do use private planes as I do in business, but I can’t charge that to the campaign. I can only charge the price of a ticket. Sometimes I have to be in four cities at once. Why wouldn’t I use a private plane?”
Mr. O’Leary insisted that “you can’t buy access to me,” even though he acknowledged touting an Alberta-to-British Columbia pipeline after one of its key promoters helped drum up $100,000 for his campaign at a single event in Vancouver.
Kevin O'Leary said:
“If you want to raise dollars from me because it’s a good idea to grow Canada at 3 per cent, I will get you the right people in my organization and we’ll set it up. I will show up and we’ll raise as much money as we can. Your minimum has to be $50,000. If you can’t raise me $50,000, I won’t show up, so get to work.”
Kevin O'Leary said:
“When you are doing $1,550 at a time you want to have a high yield, you want everybody in the room to be able to contribute, so I am not doing much in the U.S. in terms of fundraising. I don’t think I have raised anything in the U.S.”

I wonder if anyone has told him that he doesn't get to keep the money that his campaign raises?

Just anecdotally, the Conservatives I know are pretty livid at him for skipping tonight's debate. One of them was planning on voting O'Leary, too, so if he's changed his mind, I can't imagine he's the only one.

CazTGG

You could say the same thing about O'Leary: His entire shtick so far amounts to "i'm the only guy who can cleave the Trudeau armor, get behind me so I can slay this dragon!" but he has the appeal of a wet cracker.

As an aside, the Beaverton has done a few "___ for CPC Leadership" videos that are rather amusing.

Kevin O'Leary: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sej1vlbpBfE
Maxime Bernier: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OenWpcKTMyg

And speaking of being bad at grifting: Kevin O'Leary says he can't be bought, sets $50,000 fundraiser minimum
My favourite parts:

I wonder if anyone has told him that he doesn't get to keep the money that his campaign raises?

Just anecdotally, the Conservatives I know are pretty livid at him for skipping tonight's debate. One of them was planning on voting O'Leary, too, so if he's changed his mind, I can't imagine he's the only one.

Kevin O'Leary: Just An Asshole.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
it took me a long time to process this video, the way she speaks, sparses her words, her lack of charisma, her awkward pauses away from the camera

she is so strange, like Preston Manning with ear rings

Thanks air farce

Now every time someone brings up Preston manning all I can hear is refoooooooooooooooooooooorm

Thanks air farce

Now every time someone brings up Preston manning all I can hear is refoooooooooooooooooooooorm

220px-Preston_Manning_in_2004.jpg
180px-KellieLeitch2014.jpg

cannot unsee it

Pedrito

You could say the same thing about O'Leary: His entire shtick so far amounts to "i'm the only guy who can cleave the Trudeau armor, get behind me so I can slay this dragon!" but he has the appeal of a wet cracker.

I'd say being somewhat charistmatic is O'Leary's only strenght. Not charistamic as in "likeable", because he's obvisouly not, but more in a "used-car salesman" or fake though guy way. He can spout BS and gullible people will believe him because he sounds sure of himself.

Leitch's crazyness with O'Leary's loud mouth would be a scary package.

riding of Saint-Laurent LPC nomination excellent news:

http://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/p...e-pourra-etre-candidat-dans-saint-laurent.php

Current ''borough mayor'': Alan DeSousa was rejected by the party to run for the nomination,
*update on Alan DeSousa the ''borough mayor'' failed the vetting process, the LPC refuses to weigh in, rules state that failure to meet ethical standards would disqualify a candidate

thank god

So it leaves the nomination between two talented and intelligent women: Yolande James and Marwah Rizqy. Both of these women would be excellent coming from two different fields and would serve the Trudeau government way way better than a ''borough mayor''

Ac30

I dunno if it'll come to that. I was thinking more along the lines of Mexico coming to Canada for business (ie. buying Canadian nuclear reactors instead of American etc.)

Indeed, that's always good too but the US seems intent on forcing Mexico to accept weaker terms so if Canada can mediate that discussion somewhat it's a win for all.

What time period does the budget typically come out? I'm kind of curious to see how that will play out

According to the Conservatives, the Liberals accidentally leaked the date in Transport Committee: March 21st.

Why the Transport Committee chair would know the date is unknown, but that date is out there right now.

Slavik81

I really cannot understand why there is a market for tax software that converts tax payer data into a format that the government uses. Why doesn't the government produces that software?
I can't either. Simpletax has been around a few years now and just runs on donations.

Slavik81

So, I'm considering moving from America to Toronto for a Uni program. I got to tour today, it was wonderful, your country is beautiful. I was just curious if any of you had a place you turn to more than any other for news or to understand Canadian politics. Given our recent (and terrifying) turn towards fascism, is there similar fear in Canada? During my visit I was asked about it a bit, so I was curious what the climate is like over on your side of the border.
I quite like The Agenda with Steve Paikin, a current affairs program for Ontario. It's a TVO show, and free to access online. Just a YouTube search away. Though, I tend to listen to the podcast, which is just the audio.

Abelard

it took me a long time to process this video, the way she speaks, sparses her words, her lack of charisma, her awkward pauses away from the camera

she is so strange, like Preston Manning with ear rings

I didn't know if it was possible to be more alien than that Netflix ting with Stephen Harper.

I was wrong.

SRG01

I quite like The Agenda with Steve Paikin, a current affairs program for Ontario. It's a TVO show, and free to access online. Just a YouTube search away. Though, I tend to listen to the podcast, which is just the audio.

I remember when Steve Paikin moderated a few federal debates years ago. He's quite good at letting people speak instead of sticking to the regular format.

He's had Lawrence Krauss on his program a few times, so I like him a lot.

Mr.Mike

Chong being booed for even saying Carbon Tax. lol

The chances are basically impossible, but it would be so great if he won, just for the carbon tax thing. The polling of actual members finds them by calling recent donors to the CPC, but I'm not ready to let go of the tail risk of a Chong upset.

Abelard

The chances are basically impossible, but it would be so great if he won, just for the carbon tax thing. The polling of actual members finds them by calling recent donors to the CPC, but I maintain the tail risk of a surprise Chong is non-zero.

I do fear his policies of privatization though, just to play devils advocate, would it not be in the interest of the left to want Chong to lose his leadership contest in fear of him being popular enough to win over Liberal voters? You could argue this is what happened with Trump, but a Westminster system naturally favors the center- at best, a crazy populist could get a minority government and even then that is a very low chance.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The chances are basically impossible, but it would be so great if he won, just for the carbon tax thing. The polling of actual members finds them by calling recent donors to the CPC, but I'm not ready to let go of the tail risk of a Chong upset.
I feel like Chong is in the wrong party.

Meanwhile I've never seen Leitch speak, but she really is trying her best to be Trump. It's hilarious to see because it's so transparent.

"I'm going to shut down the CBC and give the money back to you!"

Mr.Mike

I do fear his policies of privatization though, just to play devils advocate, would it not be in the interest of the left to want Chong to lose his leadership contest in fear of him being popular enough to win over Liberal voters? You could argue this is what happened with Trump, but a Westminster system naturally favors the center- at best, a crazy populist could get a minority government and even then that is a very low chance.

I know the Left is against privatization, but the CMHC seems a weird one to get hung up on. That insurance protects the banks, not borrowers, and socializes the risk in the mortgage business.

Mr.Mike

Meanwhile I've never seen Leitch speak, but she really is trying her best to be Trump. It's hilarious to see because it's so transparent.

Chong couldn't make it in the Liberal party. Although it'd be nice if he were leader of the Ontario PC party right now...

CazTGG

Chong being booed for even saying Carbon Tax. lol

This is Chong 101: Get boo'd for stuff the CPC should be somewhat receptive to instead of Republican-levels of ass-backwards that will (hopefully) cost them in the 2019 election.

Meanwhile I've never seen Leitch speak, but she really is trying her best to be Drumpf. It's hilarious to see because it's so transparent.

Like Mike's said, he's definitely not a good fit for the Liberals. He's a Red Tory, or at least the closest the party has got to one at the moment.

EDIT: Apparently Deepak mentioned using nuclear energy?

bremon

I would love to tell that racist moron I listen to CBC at work all day. The pittance CBC costs me in taxes is worth not having to listen to top 40 or any other garbage music station lol.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Chong couldn't make it in the Liberal party. Although it'd be nice if he were leader of the Ontario PC party right now...
Yeah, that's probably true. He just sounds the most reasonable of all the people on the stage.

This is Chong 101: Get boo'd for stuff the CPC should be somewhat receptive to instead of Republican-levels of ass-backwards that will (hopefully) cost them in the 2019 election.
Is the end goal to just seem like a moderate in a sea of crazies?

Like Mike's said, he's definitely not a good fit for the Liberals. He's a Red Tory, or at least the closest the party has got to one at the moment.

EDIT: Apparently Deepak mentioned using nuclear energy?
Yeah he did, in lieu of a carbon tax. Go nuclear~

I would love to tell that racist moron I listen to CBC at work all day. The pittance CBC costs me in taxes is worth not having to listen to top 40 or any other garbage music station lol.
Privatise it!

----

Switched to the Trump speech and he mentioned the Trudeau meeting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom