• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian PoliGAF - 42nd Parliament: Sunny Ways in Trudeaupia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone watching this Conservative debate in Ottawa

Kellie is getting clowned

She comes across as so cold when talking about anything but racism

EDIT: She just said every VISITOR to Canada should have a face-to-face interview. I'm sure Americans would love that.

I'm watching it. Leitch was terrible. All she did was dodge questions and spout nonsense.

Barrage

I like Chong, but this Carbon tax thing is an absolute non-starter for Conservatives. O'Leary looks at his strongest slamming it down.

I watched the whole thing, minus the closing statements. I'd say:

Blaney/Trost/Lemieux:
- snoozefest, but it's not like any of them has a shot, so whatever.

Obhrai/Chong/O'Leary/Scheer: definitely the most heated of the four debates.
- O'Leary is good at making outrageous statements, but he got slapped down at every turn. I can't imagine anyone being swayed by him who wasn't already predisposed to liking him. I think he'd appeal to hardcore, red meat Conservatives who want someone to spout nonsense, but he'd be a disastrous leader for that party.
- Chong sounds relatively reasonable, but the fact he got booed for supporting a carbon tax shows how much of a chance he has (and his proposal to end all green initiatives is as crazy as anything anyone else is suggesting).
- Scheer looks and sounds like a 12-year-old in his father's suit; I've always thought of him as being like an even blander version of Harper, and everything he did reinforced that image.
- I like Obhrai, the crowd loves him as comic relief, but he's clearly not winning.

O'Toole/Leitch/Alexander/Saxton:
- Saxton continued to be a nonentity.
- Alexander seems terrifyingly vacuous; you'd think a Harvard-educated diplomat would have some substance to him, but he's proof that that's not the case.
- O'Toole seems like Scheer's dorky dad.
- Leitch is crazy. I'm hesitant to call her that, since there's a tendency of using that as a gendered insult, but...she seriously seems like a raving lunatic. She also has a tendency of coming off as incredibly pompous -- possibly a holdover from when she was a surgeon, possibly a reaction to being a woman in a man-dominated profession, but she still comes off as very peevish.

Raitt/Peterson/Bernier: definitely my favourite of the four debates.
- Peterson was surprisingly feisty, and he got in a really good burn on O'Leary (something like "I'm proud to be the only non-politician businessman among the 14 candidates who lives in Canada full-time."). He's still going to be one of the first people out.
- Raitt was wrong about cabinet ministers not meeting with their US counterparts (a pretty easily disproved statement on her part), but apart from that I was really impressed by her. She sounded reasonable, she was articulate, and she seemed like someone I could picture on stage in 2019.
- Bernier is O'Leary-esque in his ability to say insane stuff and not come off as a crazy person. On the one hand he's comfortable in his own skin, but on the other hand he's got zero substance, and I think he'd be a pretty risky candidate.

On the whole I'd group them into:
- solid: Raitt, O'Toole, Scheer
- solid, but no chance: Obhrai, Peterson, Chong
- insane: Bernier, O'Leary, Leitch
- zero chance, for good reason: Saxton, Trost, Lemieux, Blaney
- so dumb it's kind of a miracle he didn't choke on his own tie: Alexander

Mr.Mike

The economic case for a carbon tax is to internalize the social cost of CO2 emissions into prices and force economic actors to consider and pay for the social costs of CO2 emissions.

The Conservative case for the carbon tax is that it would provide market incentives to reduce emissions. Allowing the carbon tax to stand on its own and not having heavy regulation would allow the market to find the most efficient way to reduce emissions, instead of being forced to do specifically what regulations might demand.

You might disagree, but conservatives aren't going to suddenly become big government supporters if and when they come around on actually doing something about global warming.

Chong might have a path to victory involving enough centre-right people ( I'd imagine most people joining are willing to vote for some version of the CPC, but maybe I underestimate how many staunchly left-leaning people are joining ) joining the party to keep him in the running long enough to have the Progressive Conservative votes coalesce around him, and then when Scheer get's knocked out the Reformer's who have like, standards, go for him over Bernier and O'Leary.

CazTGG

Anyone watching this Conservative debate in Ottawa

Kellie is getting clowned

She comes across as so cold when talking about anything but racism

EDIT: She just said every VISITOR to Canada should have a face-to-face interview. I'm sure Americans would love that.

She's been saying this for some time now, she's spewing nothing new.

The economic case for a carbon tax is to internalize the social cost of CO2 emissions into prices and force economic actors to consider and pay for the social costs of CO2 emissions.

The Conservative case for the carbon tax is that it would provide market incentives to reduce emissions. Allowing the carbon tax to stand on its own and not having heavy regulation would allow the market to find the most efficient way to reduce emissions, instead of being forced to do specifically what regulations might demand.

You might disagree, but conservatives aren't going to suddenly become big government supporters if and when they come around on actually doing something about global warming.

Chong might have a path to victory involving enough centre-right people ( I'd imagine most people joining are willing to vote for some version of the CPC, but maybe I underestimate how many staunchly left-leaning people are joining ) joining the party to keep him in the running long enough to have the Progressive Conservative votes coalesce around him, and then when Scheer get's knocked out the Reformer's who have like, standards, go for him over Bernier and O'Leary.

...no. Just no. There's zero chance Chong wins. There's virtually no chance he'll still be in the running if/when Scheer gets knocked out, and there's absolutely zero chance he somehow outlasts Scheer, AND O'Toole, AND Raitt. Any PCers still remaining in the party are going for those three over him, and I'm skeptical there are even enough remaining in the party to make much of a difference for anybody. Chong's attention and coverage is totally out of proportion to how much of a chance he has of winning.

Mr.Mike

...no. Just no. There's zero chance Chong wins. There's virtually no chance he'll still be in the running if/when Scheer gets knocked out, and there's absolutely zero chance he somehow outlasts Scheer, AND O'Toole, AND Raitt. Any PCers still remaining in the party are going for those three over him, and I'm skeptical there are even enough remaining in the party to make much of a difference for anybody. Chong's attention and coverage is totally out of proportion to how much of a chance he has of winning.

I do think the chances are very slim. But my premise is basically new people joining the party might have a much larger impact than people expect.

Anyone further right than Scheer will probably render the CPC unelectable. We're in a pretty big inflection point in Canadian politics with both the CPC and NDP figuring out where they'll go from here. The Liberals will then also have to figure out where they fit in based on how the CPC and NDP go.

Maybe both the CPC and the NDP move further from the centre and the LPC becomes a hot mess that can't lose, or maybe they both move closer to the centre and the LPC becomes just a hot mess. To me it seems that the CPC moving towards the centre would put them in power, but moving away from it either recreates the Reform / PC split vote problem with the CPC and LPC, or leaves the centre-right very underrepresented in Parliament, depending on where the NDP goes.

Sean C

Being a crackpot on economics is exactly why he's one of the most dangerous. I'd ranked him in front of O'Leary who is just your classic run of the mill low taxes conservative with a pinch of narcisism and populism.

Leitch is the most dangerous socially (I don't count Trost as he's so far back) and Bernier is the most dangerous economically.
I don't consider him all that dangerous because unlike Leitch's hardline appeals to bigotry, I don't think Bernier's ideas would have much potential to garner a passionate audience. He's calling for the goring of a lot of sacred cows.

Done

iwO0uGb.jpg

ugh. I feel ill, but it's for the greater good.

I do think the chances are very slim. But my premise is basically new people joining the party might have a much larger impact than people expect.

Point taken, but I have a hard time imagining that the new people joining are dominated by Red Tory types. If Chong were some charismatic dynamo, I could see it, but as it stands -- where he's kind of a wet blanket -- the number of people he's bringing into the party is probably dwarfed by the numbers other people are bringing in.

I don't consider him all that dangerous because unlike Leitch's hardline appeals to bigotry, I don't think Bernier's ideas would have much potential to garner a passionate audience. He's calling for the goring of a lot of sacred cows.

Yeah, contrary to what libertarians think, I don't think there's much of a market in Canada for a party that openly wants to gut healthcare and bring back the gold standard. Even if his stance on supply management has some logic behind it, it'll still alienate groups like Dairy Farmers of Canada and Chicken Farmers of Canada, and leave the CPC wide open to attacks centred around the sanctity and superiority of Canadian milk and cheese.

Plus it doesn't help that Bernier is a dunce. An amiable, somewhat charming dunce, but a dunce nonetheless. Yesterday's debate showed that his arguments fall apart when confronted with even the gentlest to nudges, so I can't imagine how he'd handle someone genuinely trying to tear him down. And seeing as his brand is built around being a straight-shooting, unflinching libertarian, he can't exactly walk back some of his crazier positions.

Still hoping for a 5 dollar membership as March approaches. lol

My friend looked into it further. Apparently it was something he was offering at an event, so unless you're willing to go hang out with a bunch of Conservatives on the off chance he's still doing it, you may be out of luck. Sorry!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
My friend looked into it further. Apparently it was something he was offering at an event, so unless you're willing to go hang out with a bunch of Conservatives on the off chance he's still doing it, you may be out of luck. Sorry!
RIP.
I'll probably sign up with Chong I guess and then just put Bernier as my second choice.

Mr.Mike

My dumb stupid cons card hasn't come yet. Should it come in the mail?

Big dumb card. ��

I recall reading somewhere they only mail out 4 batches a year. At this point they might just be waiting till the end of March to mail them out to everyone who became a member in time to vote.

I don't think it matters though, since the ballot is also mailed to you, and you can just mail it back.

EDIT: Well there is a membership number on this card, but that's probably in an email too.
EDIT2: No actually, but I'm sure it'll arrive in time. If they really wanted to demonstrate fiscal conservatism they might mail it with the ballot.

Mr.Mike

RIP.
I'll probably sign up with Chong I guess and then just put Bernier as my second choice.

If there's anyone you like more than Bernier, it can't hurt to rank them between Chong and Bernier. Bernier's a crank too, even if I appreciate somebody bringing up supply management.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
RIP.

I guess you're marking Bernier on the ballot as your second choice because he has a higher chance of winning, but the man is insane on economics.

Not really picking the lesser of two evils when you have him on your ballot.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Done

iwO0uGb.jpg

ugh. I feel ill, but it's for the greater good.
Can't believe you people are contributing to their coffers for that off chance that your vote will have an impact. :\

- Scheer looks and sounds like a 12-year-old in his father's suit; I've always thought of him as being like an even blander version of Harper, and everything he did reinforced that image.
- O'Toole seems like Scheer's dorky dad.

On the whole I'd group them into:
- solid: Raitt, O'Toole, Scheer

lol

firehawk12

Subete no aware
If there's anyone you like more than Bernier, it can't hurt to rank them between Chong and Bernier. Bernier's a crank too, even if I appreciate somebody bringing up supply management.
I guess you're marking Bernier on the ballot as your second choice because he has a higher chance of winning, but the man is insane on economics.

Not really picking the lesser of two evils when you have him on your ballot.
Yeah, I guess I'm just assuming that Bernier is both the person most likely to win who isn't O'Leary or Leitch, so I figure I should support him more the "most". lol

Mr.Mike

Can't believe you people are contributing to their coffers for that off chance that your vote will have an impact. :\

Urban Quebec votes might actually be worth a lot. I don't know how Conservative your riding is. The Conservatives are flush with cash every election anyway, any advantage money might be able to buy them they can already buy. Political donations also get you a tax credit, which they love to mention.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I bet the CPC leadership will hire up a firm to buy info on members (Facebook and such), said firm will then categorize everyone in "fake members" and "real members" using some simple algorithm, and throw all the votes of the fake ones away.

Mr.Mike

I can understand how NDP support is down but how the hell is CPC support up?

People like Rona Ambrose.

I bet the CPC leadership will hire up a firm to buy info on members (Facebook and such), said firm will then categorize everyone in "fake members" and "real members" using some simple algorithm, and throw all the votes of the fake ones away.

God forbid they have a leader who might actually pull Millennials from the right flanks of the Liberals and Greens? The long-term isn't looking good for them.

It would be a hell of an about face on the carbon tax though. And maybe there' be a non-zero chance the party would splinter.

Apathy

Obhrai/Chong/O'Leary/Scheer: definitely the most heated of the four debates.
- O'Leary is good at making outrageous statements, but he got slapped down at every turn. I can't imagine anyone being swayed by him who wasn't already predisposed to liking him. I think he'd appeal to hardcore, red meat Conservatives who want someone to spout nonsense, but he'd be a disastrous leader for that party.
- Chong sounds relatively reasonable, but the fact he got booed for supporting a carbon tax shows how much of a chance he has (and his proposal to end all green initiatives is as crazy as anything anyone else is suggesting).
- I like Obhrai, the crowd loves him as comic relief, but he's clearly not winning.

I wonder if obhrai knows that the conservatives laugh at him or does he thinks they laugh with him? At least he got a good zinger on O'Leary (maybe if you spent more time in Canada you'd know the constitution). There was one thing at the end that I caught that should be making O'Leary just not a viable pick. We know he still makes Boston his home, but man he made a gaff when he said "I want to go back home and tell them Canada is open for business". How does a statement like that not just turn conservatives away instantly.

Sibylus

Banned
I stand by my sentiment that Trudeau is a coward regarding electoral reform, but I'm not about to flip my gourd and try to blow everything up because it sates my disappointment. It sucks. That's politics. There's next-best solutions and advances to be made elsewhere and I can't lose perspective.

Leeness

I recall reading somewhere they only mail out 4 batches a year. At this point they might just be waiting till the end of March to mail them out to everyone who became a member in time to vote.

I don't think it matters though, since the ballot is also mailed to you, and you can just mail it back.

EDIT: Well there is a membership number on this card, but that's probably in an email too.
EDIT2: No actually, but I'm sure it'll arrive in time. If they really wanted to demonstrate fiscal conservatism they might mail it with the ballot.

Oh okay, that's fair. And yeah, since I can mail in, I guess it doesn't matter.

Maybe I just want it so I can burn it after the election...

Mr.Mike

Yazidi refugee effort proof that government listens and can work: Ambrose

Efforts underway to give asylum to 1,200 primarily Yazidi refugees by year end should help bolster people's confidence in government, says Interim Opposition leader Rona Ambrose.

At a time when people are losing faith in democratic institutions, the ability of opposition and government to come together to do what was right for Yazidis is proof the system can work, she said.

”It was the right thing to do, and it wasn't the government's agenda, but Canadians spoke, the opposition spoke, there was a moral authority issue here as well," Ambrose said.

”And democracy worked in this instance."

Ambrose made the comments in an interview with The Canadian Press on the sidelines of a conservative conference in Ottawa this weekend grappling with the question of populism and politics.

A key theme has been ensuring governments aren't just promoting their own agendas, but also listening directly to the people.

Ambrose said the fact that the Opposition were able to put forward a motion to bring 400 Yazidis to Canada and convince the Liberals to come on side was proof government does listen.

She called the failure of Canada to do more for the minority Kurdish sect in the past an oversight, but acknowledged refugee issues were not as much on her radar when the Conservatives were in government.

The Conservative government chose to join the international bombing campaign against Islamic State militants in Iraq in part because of the Yazidis. In 2014, thousands of them were under siege on a mountain in northern Iraq being told to convert or they would be killed, a situation that put a very human face on the horrors of the Islamic State regime.

Yet, as part of their program to resettle victims of that regime, and the Syrian civil war, the Tories never directly focused on Yazidis even as they were prioritizing minority religious groups from the region. Only a handful were resettled in Canada under that government.

The fact that Yazidi women were being used as sex slaves, and a UN declaration in 2016 that they were facing genocide, was what drew Ambrose's attention.

Together with Immigration critic Michelle Rempel and Foreign Affairs critic Peter Kent, she began a sustained campaign to get the government to take action.

The effort culminated in a motion calling on the government to agree to a large-scale refugee resettlement program. The motion passed unanimously last fall and the plan for bringing 1,200 people to Canada in the coming months was unveiled last week.

--- More behind the link ---

I just want a healthy political culture, mainly. Better voting systems help, but only to a point.

Apathy

Jesus christ, with the belly aching going on with the electoral reform people make it sound like they were abandoning ship. It's barely made a dent. All i see is CPC slightly up with NDP slightly down.

Well yeah, it's what the rational people here and elsewhere on the web have been saying for a while. The ones that are just complaining are a very loud and vocal minority. Sometimes GAF is a bubble (as is reddit).

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Hrm, Chong doesn't seem to sell memberships through his site (that I can see anyway). I guess just buying directly from the Conservatives is the next option? Or buying through Bernier?

It's just a one-time fee. Parties make most of their money through regular donations and events, which I have no intention of doing.

We'll see if we can influence the outcome of the election. If the aftermath statistics show that we had no chance of doing so, then I won't do it again.

Mr.Mike

Preston Manning's message to Conservative leadership candidates: Don't take party unity for granted

Veteran politician Preston Manning says the next Conservative leader must strike a balance between emphasizing party unity and addressing populism bubbling up to the surface of Canadian politics.

In an interview before this week's high-profile conservative conference organized by his Manning Centre, Manning told the National Post whoever becomes leader must remember the Conservative party was stitched together not so long ago.

”It's got fiscal conservatives, social conservatives, constitutional conservatives in Quebec, democratic conservatives on the prairie. It's a coalition, and I think whoever leads it has to recognize this is a coalition. ... Hopefully the stitching is solid stitching, but it's not like it's been around for a hundred years," Manning said.

The party formed in 2003 to bridge Progressive Conservatives with members of the Canadian Alliance, which was the successor to Manning's Western-based Reform Party.

”You can't take the unity of coalitions for granted. You have to work on it," Manning said. ”If you can't make democracy work internally to handle your differences, how are you going to go to the public and say you can make it work in the broader differences of society?"

The agenda for this week's conference in Ottawa includes a debate between Conservative leadership candidates who are divided on several major questions, including whether Canada's immigration policy should be changed.

In the context of Liberal government positions and a Trump administration in the United States, Manning said populist questions around diversity, extremism and inclusiveness must be addressed.

”One of my worries is, and it fits into the Trump phenomenon, that a lot of the political establishment in Canada is denying that those concerns exist here, or just decrying anybody that brings them up," he said. ”I just think that's a mistake. I think there are concerns on all of those issues and they're down below and people resent it when they can't be aired."

Manning likened it to an oil patch metaphor. With ”wildcat wells," pressure builds and can push the oil out of the top and blow the platform off. Sometimes they catch fire. To avoid that, you drill a relief well, from the side, at just the right angle, and it takes the pressure off.

”The oil well's blowing, and it's messy, and it's throwing all this stuff all over the place, and it can be dangerous. But what do you do? You try to find some way of redirecting it as some constructive end. And that's one of the real challenges of leadership."

Manning recalled how populism in the '80s and '90s spurred his Reform Party, which harnessed a ”populist element" of Western alienation during those decades rather than allowing it to tear up the federation.

To avoid or suppress topics the rank-and-file care about isn't wise, Manning said. That's why several controversial topics are on the docket for this week's conference.

Titles of hot-button sessions Friday and Saturday include: leading the response to Islamist extremism and its ideology in Canada; Down with the elites?; A Trump movement in Canada?; and stifling dissent: conservatism on campus.

”Hopefully they'll be addressed responsibly," Manning said.

As traditional news media lose ground and more online media outlets celebrate specific political biases, however, Manning expressed concern over online silos of opinion that could be counterproductive to that hope.

”People are just taking these social media offerings that coincide with their preconceived opinions," he said. ”I just see that happening all over the political spectrum and it's not healthy. And it's not conducive to democratic discourse."

Salient points on Manning's part.

Here's a video from March 10, 2015, on the topic of the spread of ideas and the development of echo chambers

etrain911

So, I'm considering moving from America to Toronto for a Uni program. I got to tour today, it was wonderful, your country is beautiful. I was just curious if any of you had a place you turn to more than any other for news or to understand Canadian politics. Given our recent (and terrifying) turn towards fascism, is there similar fear in Canada? During my visit I was asked about it a bit, so I was curious what the climate is like over on your side of the border.

Kinsei

Banned
So, I'm considering moving from America to Toronto for a Uni program. I got to tour today, it was wonderful, your country is beautiful. I was just curious if any of you had a place you turn to more than any other for news or to understand Canadian politics. Given our recent (and terrifying) turn towards fascism, is there similar fear in Canada? During my visit I was asked about it a bit, so I was curious what the climate is like over on your side of the border.

CBC News is my go to for news and politics.

I do worry about fascism in Canada. If Kellie Leitch somehow wins the Conservative nomination then I'll be very afraid for the future of our country.

Ive used /r/Canadapolitics, national post, cbc, and political parties social media for news. Dont goto globe and mail, i will boycott them forever for their horrid endorsement of harper last election

they said vote for him in the hope he resigns or some shit. literally the dumbest piece from a canadian paper ive ever read

Apathy

CBC is your go to.

Mr.Mike

Ive used /r/Canadapolitics, national post, cbc, and political parties social media for news. Dont goto globe and mail, i will boycott them forever for their horrid endorsement of harper last election

they said vote for him in the hope he resigns or some shit. literally the dumbest piece from a canadian paper ive ever read

The Globe and Mail is good. But yeah, voting for someone in hopes they resign is dumb.

RIP.

I wouldn't count out people like Raitt and O'Toole. They're relatively sane, and I think you could put them ahead of Bernier and not worry about it helping O'Leary or Leitch -- it's a long road to 50%+1, and I suspect it's going to go about 10 rounds.

Can't believe you people are contributing to their coffers for that off chance that your vote will have an impact. :

lol

Don't get me wrong, I think Scheer holds some scary beliefs, but compared to some of the other candidates, he's not that bad.

And to your first point, as long as people are just buying memberships, they're not really contributing to CPC coffers. Their party president came and spoke to my class, and said that the price of a membership is less than how much it costs to process that member and send them mailouts (which includes leadership ballots).

I wonder if obhrai knows that the conservatives laugh at him or does he thinks they laugh with him? At least he got a good zinger on O'Leary (maybe if you spent more time in Canada you'd know the constitution). There was one thing at the end that I caught that should be making O'Leary just not a viable pick. We know he still makes Boston his home, but man he made a gaff when he said "I want to go back home and tell them Canada is open for business". How does a statement like that not just turn conservatives away instantly.

I think a significant portion of Conservatives are turned off by him -- I can't find the iPolitics story, but just a few days ago they had a poll saying that something like 40% of members say that they're worried about his background. I imagine the more they see of him -- and the more he says dumb stuff like that -- the more that number is going to go up.

Oh weird, I went to this page:
http://michaelchong.ca/

Are MPs supposed to keep a separate page for party politics stuff and one for their "real" job?

Yep. Anything to do with leadership runs needs to be paid for by their campaigns, and having the official MP sites double as leadership sites would violate that.

Jesus christ, with the belly aching going on with the electoral reform people make it sound like they were abandoning ship. It's barely made a dent. All i see is CPC slightly up with NDP slightly down.

As several people here have said: electoral reform is a niche issue, and the number of voters moved primarily by that issue weren't voting Liberal to begin with. It probably doesn't help that CPC supporters are feeling invigorated by their race, while the NDP seems to be drifting aimlessly at the moment with a lame duck leader and not many clear policies. Things should pick up for them a little by the end of the year, though they'll still be in a pretty deep financial hole once the race is over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom