• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian PoliGAF - 42nd Parliament: Sunny Ways in Trudeaupia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean C

If the Greens took seats from the NDP, I assume that means they're more likely to support the Liberals?
Not necessarily, no. If the calculate that their base is NDP voters, disproportionately, then backing the Liberals may not be in their interest, as that would tend to encourage their voters to vote NDP instead.

I'm trying to think if there's ever been an exact tie in a provincial election before.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I really, REALLY hope the Greens would rather form a coalition with the NDP than the Liberals. Wouldnt make any damn sense otherwise.

Sean C

For trivia fans, an exact tie has happened exactly once before in Canadian history, as far as I can determine: the 1867 Ontario provincial election, which returned 41 Tories and 41 Liberals. I'm not quite sure how they worked this out since there was no third party, but in the end the Tory leader, John Sandfield Macdonald, became premier.

sikkinixx

jesus this is not good on my heart

also who is premier in the case of a tie anyway?

Clark is even in the case of a minority NDP. She is still premier and has the opportunity to prove she has the confidence of the house.

Unless she resigns or loses a non-confidence motion. Then the lieutenant-governor could ask Horgan to try and form government.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
giphy.gif

lupinko

Nope, couldnt vote.

Still waiting for Trudeau to push through C-6 to reduce my wait time. I've been here for 8 years damnit

Really? It took me way less than that to naturalize.

And Switzerland allows dual citizenship? That's pretty cool.

I'm debating if I should ever try to get my Spaniard citizenship, just to get that sweet, sweet EU access.

But that requires an additional hoop for me.

Eh my current expat in Japan way is fine right now.

Sean C

CTV guy said that the incumbent gets a chance to form goverment first in case of a tie
The incumbent remains in office until they lose a confidence vote.

However, if Weaver came out and said he was going to support the NDP forming a government, Clark would probably resign immediately, because there'd be little point in dragging it out.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Really? It took me way less than that to naturalize.

And Switzerland allows dual citizenship? That's pretty cool.

I'm debating if I should ever try to get my Spaniard citizenship, just to get that sweet, sweet EU access.

But that requires an additional hoop for me.

Eh my current expat in Japan way is fine right now.

They do, yes. And it's mainly because I wasnt eligible for PR while I was still in school, I was only able to get that last summer.

subrock

Stoked for a NDP-Green coalition if Horgan and Weaver can put on their big boy pants and cooperate (which they fucking should)

Sean C

wtf, a tie can actually happen?
It's obviously possible for the two main parties to get the same number of seats. Now, since the BC legislature has an odd number of seats, it's not possible for every party in the legislature to deadlock (unlike in Ontario in 1867, where there were two parties but an even number of seats).

There was almost a tie in PEI in the 1966 election, which was especially dramatic because the vote in one riding was delayed a few weeks because of a candidate's death, meaning there was an extended campaign mounted in a single riding that could either tie the legislature or give the Liberals a one-seat advantage. The latter happened.

android

Theoretical Magician
Clark is even in the case of a minority NDP. She is still premier and has the opportunity to prove she has the confidence of the house.

Unless she resigns or loses a non-confidence motion. Then the lieutenant-governor could ask Horgan to try and form government.
No if they tie like this the Green Party would decide if they wanted to form a collation with either party. Unless the Greens say fuck both of you (they'll pick one). but if it's 43-41-3 NDP..one below majority...John Horgan is Premier...Opposite its Christy Clark.

sikkinixx

No if they tie like this the Green Party would decide if they wanted to form a collation with either party. If the Greens say fuck both of you (they'll pick one)..But That I dont know.. but if it's 43-41-3 NDP..one below majority...John Horgan is Premier...Opposite its Christy Clark.

But he notes that in Canada, the lieutenant-governor is obliged to give the incumbent premier a chance to prove they still have confidence of the legislature after an election.

"The government remains the government until the premier resigns … If she's a few seats ahead or behind the NDP, but doesn't have a majority, she could try and make a bargain with the Greens first to try and continue her government."

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/...rty-forms-a-majority-election-night-1.4097330

It's true the Greens would decide it but she will still be the premier until the dust settles.

android

Theoretical Magician
http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/...rty-forms-a-majority-election-night-1.4097330

It's true the Greens would decide it but she will still be the premier until the dust settles.
So....She has to make a deal with the Greens. The same deal the NDP can make. By they'll need them. She isn't just give the role because she was the old one. She needs the Greens. Without its an NDP minority with John Horgan as premier. Also it would be up to John Horgan given the option...You don't get to skip the queue..

Tagg9

I have a number of friends who've worked with the Green election campaigns on Vancouver Island... sounds fairly certain to me that they would side with the NDP in most cases.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I have a number of friends who've worked with the Green election campaigns on Vancouver Island... sounds fairly certain to me that they would side with the NDP in most cases.
I assume if it stays 43-41, probably the safest move they can do is not vote on anything. Take the speaker position, ask for official party status, and then agree not to vote on any confidence measures. Hitching yourself to either party just seems like political suicide either way.

Sean C

Only one poll left in Coquitlam-Burke Mountain. The NDP candidate needs a net gain of 156 votes to win.

I assume if it stays 43-41, probably the safest move they can do is not vote on anything. Take the speaker position, ask for official party status, and then agree not to vote on any confidence measures. Hitching yourself to either party just seems like political suicide either way.
That's not safe, that would be understood to be ceding power to the Liberals, but being really wishy-washy about it.

EDIT: And the Liberal count ticks up to 44. Still a bit of counting left, but heh if they pull out a razor thin majority after all this talk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom