• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian PoliGAF - 42nd Parliament: Sunny Ways in Trudeaupia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sakura

I assume if it stays 43-41, probably the safest move they can do is not vote on anything. Take the speaker position, ask for official party status, and then agree not to vote on any confidence measures. Hitching yourself to either party just seems like political suicide either way.

Don't you need 4 seats to get official party status?
But yea in a minority government I feel their best play would to be their own party and not try to do a coalition. A minority government won't last long anyway, and they could strengthen their odds for a next election.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
lol, 44... rip NDP.

whoopsiedaisy.jpg

firehawk12

Subete no aware
That's not safe, that would be understood to be ceding power to the Liberals, but being really wishy-washy about it.

Hitching to the Liberals if your voters want change would be a big mistake... and hitching yourself to the NDP when you want to beat them is probably a LibDem style suicide move.

Although it might all be academic if the Liberals can get 44... lol

Don't you need 4 seats to get official party status?
But yea in a minority government I feel their best play would to be their own party and not try to do a coalition. A minority government won't last long anyway, and they could strengthen their odds for a next election.
Yeah, that's why lowering the official party status to 3 or fewer would probably a priority for the Greens.

lupinko

I think that nice letter I wrote along with that book made by my students reenergized Christy Clark.

That and crazy Trump anti-trade rhetoric.

Sakura

At present, yes, but if there was a minority they could easily demand a change in the rules as part of whatever deal they cut.

Maybe, but I'm not sure the Liberals would want to give them official party status too easily.
And besides, considering their performance tonight, I feel they have a good chance to win at least 4 seats next time around any way.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
If the Liberals do get 44, I wonder if Greens will be seen as Ralph Nader-like spoilers or if we'll get another "NDP are shit" post-mortem. lol

Sakura

If the Liberals do get 44, I wonder if Greens will be seen as Ralph Nader-like spoilers or if we'll get another "NDP are shit" post-mortem. lol

The NDP vote share so far is like the same as last election though. If anything the Greens have been stealing votes from other parties haven't they?

Tiktaalik

Libs win Coquitlam Burke Mountain. Greens had 2500 votes there. Already you gotta wonder about how a vote split is impacting the election.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Only time I can see that scenario happening is if they got wrecked like their federal counterparts in 2015.

The NDP vote share so far is like the same as last election though. If anything the Greens have been stealing votes from other parties haven't they?

A lot of people are tired of the liberals and wanted change, but some are reluctant to go NDP, especially those who had experienced the NDP government during the 90s.

CazTGG

Probably the former. If not, you'll be hearing more complaints about representation via the popular vote thanks to FPTP favoring strategic voting that creates false majorities (the Greens would have close to 14 seats instead of the 3 they currently hold and the NDP/Liberals would hover around the mid 30s), especially given the renewed discussion thanks to the federal Liberals now abandoned electoral reform.

Sakura

"Give us official party status or we back the NDP."
"Okay."

It's not a hill anybody wants to die on.

Sure.
But what about the NDP, do they want to Greens to have official party status? Maybe they would be willing to support something if it means keeping them from having that. Or maybe the Liberals would just rather call another election. Giving the Greens official party status might help them pass a bill, but it's only going to hurt the other parties in future elections.
That being said a coalition on the other hand could do it.

Sean C

I guess we can safely say that the result will be a Lib minority.
Depends on how the Greens want to play it.

Sure.
But what about the NDP, do they want to Greens to have official party status? Maybe they would be willing to support something if it means keeping them from having that. Or maybe the Liberals would just rather call another election. Giving the Greens official party status might help them pass a bill, but it's only going to hurt the other parties in future elections.
The NDP is not going to support the Liberals just to keep the Greens from getting official party status. That would be a total forfeiture of legitimacy, and for something that isn't really that big a deal when the Greens are already the acknowledged kingmakers.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Sure.
I think it depends. If it stays 43-41, then the NDP would really need to give the Greens anything they want if they want to form government since there's absolutely no margin for error there.

Depends on how the Greens want to play it.
Do Lt. GGs have to follow precedents set by the GG?
I assume if the Liberals have a lead, they'll get a chance to form government regardless of any coalition plans by the Greens/NDP.

Sean C

Do Lt. GGs have to follow precedents set by the GG?
I assume if the Liberals have a lead, they'll get a chance to form government regardless of any coalition plans by the Greens/NDP.
The Liberals have the right to meet the legislature. Technically even a government that has seen its opponent win a majority has the right to do that. But if the NDP and the Greens cut a deal, they can oust the government on the first day of the legislative session. They have the numbers, and that's all that matters (and in the face of that, I doubt Clark would bother trying to stay).

Tiktaalik

Sam Sullivan in Vancouver False Creek would have been roasted if the Greens as NDP were allied (Greens 2000+ votes). I recognize that not every Green is gonna support the NDP but still.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The Liberals have the right to meet the legislature. Technically even a government that has seen its opponent win a majority has the right to do that. But if the NDP and the Greens cut a deal, they can oust the government on the first day of the legislative session. They would have the numbers.
Oh yeah, but technically the Liberals would still be government until then.

It would be funny if the Lt. GG just said fuck it and made them do another election if the government fell. (I wonder if s/he can do that. lol)

Hahahaha NDP winning by nine votes in the town where my family lives.

That's just hillarious.

Here's hoping that we get Green as the kingmaker to the NDP, because dear Lord I can't handle Christie Clarke anymore.

Sean C

It would be funny if the Lt. GG just said fuck it and made them do another election if the government fell. (I wonder if s/he can do that. lol)
They could, yes, but they wouldn't. A premier who is defeated at the very start of the legislative session has no entitlement to a dissolution, as there's been no effort whatsoever to see if the parliament can be made to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom