• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian PoliGAF - 42nd Parliament: Sunny Ways in Trudeaupia

Status
Not open for further replies.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
0bIBhdm.png

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I have to imagine backroom deals have been made and Greens are supporting the Liberals after this speech.

What's the point of this victory speech when no ones what type of minority government formed.
If they don't have a deal, then this is the most pointless speech ever made. lol

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Greens are up... here we go.

Oh wow, they're both going up at the same time. I think it's clear the Greens are going to prop up the Liberals. lol

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The best part of these speeches is that it proved the Liberal talking head lady wrong when she said no one should speak tonight. lol

Tiktaalik

Seems like Horgan is very open to working with Weaver.

Hopefullly out of this we finally get an end to corporate and union donations and we get PR.

As someone from south of the border in neighbouring Washington state, this has been an interesting election to watch unfold tonight and kinda amazed in how close BC Lib and NDP have been throughout the night.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
There's gonna be at least a flip when the absentee voting is counted. I am going to bet Comox flips to liberal and they end up with the majority at the end.

There's gonna be at least a flip when the absentee voting is counted. I am going to bet Comox flips to liberal and they end up with the majority at the end.
On CBC I heard Comox last election had more absentee votes for NDP than LIB so not sure if it will flip, but that is one chance for 44. Just needs to catch up 8 votes :O

That said, I check the Comox thing CBC reference and it does look right.. NDP lost last time with 38% of the vote (to Lib 44%) but they outperformed with absentee votes getting 42% of it. Same thing in 2009, so there's a trend of NDP outperforming on absentee votes there. Based on both '09 and '13, they could gain a lead of an extra 20-30 votes over Libs if they outperform by a few percent points again.

That said, it's a slightly different riding this time around, and two new candidates for both parties, so who knows.... I think Libs generally do a little better with absentee voting, and the Comox guy is an ex-base commander. Maybe he'd do slightly better with army personnel or retiree snowbirds out of province lol at least enough to pick up 9 votes

Also a chance but pretty unlikely at Maple Ridge-Mission where it was won for NDP by 120 votes, too, but the Lib candidate behind by 120 was the incumbent with 46% of the vote but 48.5% of the absentee vote. I looked at how many more people voted this time around and total absentee votes for that riding, and if he trended a bit higher with absentee voters again he'd likely catch up by about 25-30 votes. THere's just not enough absentee voters generally in a lot of this ridings to pick up 100+ votes unless absent voters vote >10% differently than the general vote.

NDP could also get an extra too but closest one left I think is in Coquitlam and looks like 170 votes. But that riding only had 692 absentee votes last election... NDP would need to take like 62% of the absentee vote on a 44/44 general split... absentee vote deviating that is probably super rare.

So, 41 for NDP seems pretty certain, but Libs got one pretty rare chance and one decent chance at getting 44. Still seems unlikely in both cases based on past election trends, and though the 100 vote margins seem pretty unlikely to shift, that Comox one really could end up giving Clark the 44 seat majority.

Tapejara

Jagmeet Singh To Jump Into Federal NDP Leadership Race - Huffington Post

OTTAWA — Ontario deputy NDP leader Jagmeet Singh is poised to launch a bid for federal leadership next week, The Canadian Press has learned.

Sources familiar with Singh's plans say he will make the announcement at the Bombay Palace in Brampton, Ont., on Monday night — the venue where he held an election party in 2011 when he entered provincial politics.

Singh, a 38-year-old cri]minal defence lawyer and turbaned Sikh, was named deputy to Ontario NDP Leader Andrea Horwath in spring 2015.

At the time of the announcement, Horwath said Singh had been a "dynamic force" in politics, adding he increased political participation among young people who viewed him as a community leader and mentor.

Inside the provincial wing of the NDP, Horwath also acknowledged Singh's work to push for provincial reductions of auto insurance rates and improving awareness around precarious employment fuelled by temporary job agencies.

Singh, regarded as a young and energetic leader, has also received nods from Toronto Life magazine on its lists of "50 Most Influential" and "Toronto's Best Dressed."

IIRC a few months ago Singh was unsure whether or he would enter the leadership race for the federal NDP or stay within the Ontario NDP and take over the leadership role from Andrea Howarth following the upcoming provincial election. Guess we know the answer!

Really interesting night. My riding has been an NDP lock forever and went Green. Fascinating to see how 2 local environmental issues pushed Furstenau well past the NDP and Liberal candidates. I didn't vote for her, but I have zero issues with her being our MLA.

I fully expect the Greens to work with the Liberals in the upcoming government.

Don't you need 4 seats to get official party status?

Official party status is a construct of the legislature, and can be changed depending on the whims & preferences of the government. There's precedent in other provinces for lowering the seat count required for party status...though if Clark were to go by B.C. precedent (the NDP didn't get status when they were reduced to 2 seats in 2001), she wouldn't give it to the Greens. This is obviously a completely different situation, though, and the Liberals have a vested interest in boosting the Greens at the expense of the NDP. I think she gives it to them.

I don't know shit about BC politics, but the talking head was saying that the Alberta NDP were actively plotting against the BC NDP because they need the pipeline to go through? Lulz.

This isn't as crazy as it sounds. Even though they're tied together by the NDP's ridiculous policy of saying the federal party and all the provincial parties are linked, in practice the Alberta and BC NDP want pretty different things. Having a BC NDP government would make things much harder for the Alberta NDP than a BC Liberal government.

So....She has to make a deal with the Greens. The same deal the NDP can make. By they'll need them. She isn't just give the role because she was the old one. She needs the Greens. Without its an NDP minority with John Horgan as premier. Also it would be up to John Horgan given the option...You don't get to skip the queue..

This is 100% incorrect: she absolutely is given the role because she was the old premier. Under our system of government, the incumbent always gets the first shot at forming government. They can resign, recognizing that they have zero chance of winning a confidence vote (i.e. Kim Campbell would've looked like a nut trying to win the House's confidence in 1993 with only 2 seats), but if they don't, they retain power until they lose it in the legislature, at which point the crown (GG federally, LG provincially) either asks the opposition to try and form government, or they dissolve the legislature and drop the writ of election.

Jagmeet Singh To Jump Into Federal NDP Leadership Race - Huffington Post

IIRC a few months ago Singh was unsure whether or he would enter the leadership race for the federal NDP or stay within the Ontario NDP and take over the leadership role from Andrea Howarth following the upcoming provincial election. Guess we know the answer!

Nah, he's been plotting his federal run since early last fall, at least. I know one of his organizers. They were just waiting until after the BC election, because most of his campaign team is BC-based.

If Singh doesn't win, it'll be a massive upset.

maharg

idspispopd
I don't know shit about BC politics, but the talking head was saying that the Alberta NDP were actively plotting against the BC NDP because they need the pipeline to go through? Lulz.

I dunno about plotting against, but the leadership of the abndp was actively pushing their caucus and members not to campaign for bcndp.

Like matthewwhatever said, they have very different goals right now. It's kind of a microcosm of the split the party has in general between its environmentalist wing and its union wing. Which, to be fair, are really hard to reconcile and anyone who thinks they've got it solved and calls themselves both is fooling themselves. A lot of jobs that are generally unionized in NA are jobs that are bad for the environment.

Dazzler

It's so depressing waking up to see the BC Libs continue to govern. I've lived in Van for seven years but as a permanent resident I don't have a vote. I qualify for citizenship in nine months, so I'm looking forward to my first opportunity to vote against them

Vancouver's transition into a resort town for the wealthy looks set to continue

bremon

It bothers me that so many provincial parties have the same name as federal parties. It just causes confusion amongst the average voter. BC NDP are pro environment. AB NDP are somewhat pro union it seems. In the grand scheme of the political spectrum BC liberals are basically blue and AB NDP are basically red at a cursory glance but various names are poison in different regions so why stand by those names at all?

Vibranium

Banned
Knew vote splitting was going to happen here, ah well, I expected the result, sucks but there's nothing I can do. Will hope that the NDP can work something out next time.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
It bothers me that so many provincial parties have the same name as federal parties. It just causes confusion amongst the average voter. BC NDP are pro environment. AB NDP are somewhat pro union it seems. In the grand scheme of the political spectrum BC liberals are basically blue and AB NDP are basically red at a cursory glance but various names are poison in different regions so why stand by those names at all?

Think of it this way: The BC Libs know they'd be hammered the minute they go for something akin to maybe the BC Progressive Conservatives.

Well, the BC Liberals are more of the centrist party that will link itself/turn heel to whichever federal establishment party is currently popular.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...dings-where-vote-split-hurt-the-ndp-1.4107785

Thanks Green party. Vote splitting: fucking things up for everyone.

If even threeof the closest: Richmind-Q, Van-False Creek and Coq-Burke hadn't run Greens the NDP would be running shit. Weak sauce.

Or: fucking NDP, screwing up a Green Party majority.

Salty takes about vote-splitting are at best ignorant without more information. We don't know what percentage of people who voted Green would ever even consider voting NDP.

Agreed.

I want a Federal Bill that forces all non-affiliated Provincial parties to change their names

B-Dex

I want out of this crappy province. Doesn't help that my riding is full of living dead baby boomers that will die off in a few months but will continue to screw my generation over for years.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Serious question, why would the Greens prop the Libs over the NDP? Arent the NDP much closer ideologically? I dont get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom