• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian PoliGAF - 42nd Parliament: Sunny Ways in Trudeaupia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
You'd rather he pay for his father's crimes?

Oh stop this.

There's decent evidence Khadr threw a grenade at an unarmed, unarmoured field medic, murdering him. The very first Geneva Convention is pretty clear on what that means. If done intentionally it's a war crime.

There may not be enough evidence to convict without a legit confession, but there'll always be that doubt when it comes to this guy...

But we have to move on. We're running around in circles here. There were serious Charter violations and the conviction was overturned. Without a confession received via torture there is not enough evidence to convict. End of story.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Oh stop this.

There's decent evidence Khadr threw a grenade at an unarmed, unarmoured field medic, murdering him. The very first Geneva Convention is pretty clear on what that means. If done intentionally it's a war crime.

There may not be enough evidence to convict without a legit confession, but there'll always be that doubt when it comes to this guy...

So let's think about this for a second, and see if we have the same scenario in our minds.

let's assume Khadr threw that grenade - in what situation was Khadr in when he threw that grenade? Was he... cognizant, safe and acting with the intent to terrorise, you think? Also, was he of age?

That doesn't even go into the fact that the evidence for the grenade throw is shitty, that a confession was gotten from him while he was being tortured, and I think at the recommendation of his lawyer?

In what world do we put this much expectation on a 15 year old, who literally just got blinded and severely wounded by bombs killing almost everyone else in the building that he was in, as it collapsed around him. Kid threw a grenade at people coming into the building and suddenly people act like he's Osama Bin Laden or some shit.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
So let's think about this for a second, and see if we have the same scenario in our minds.

let's assume Khadr threw that grenade - in what situation was Khadr in when he threw that grenade? Was he... cognizant, safe and acting with the intent to terrorise, you think? Also, was he of age?

If he intentionally threw a grenade at an unarmed field medic wearing insignia, it's a war crime, period. Ignorance of the law isn't an excuse either.

We hold teenagers accountable as adults for their actions in Canada all the time. Doesn't matter if he was of age, just means the case would be treated differently.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
If he intentionally threw a grenade at an unarmed field medic wearing insignia, it's a war crime, period. Ignorance of the law isn't an excuse either.

We hold teenagers accountable as adults for their actions in Canada all the time. Doesn't matter if he was of age.

If he was blinded, and unable to perceive whom or what was coming into the building, with guns (the medic did not come in alone) - severely injured and disoriented, would you say there is a non-negligible chance that he wasn't thinking "Oh a medic! Even though I am fucking near death, let me precisely throw this grenade at the one unarmed person in the room"

In Canada, we also have different degrees of assault and murder, and contextually - if something similar happened on our soil, do you think the kid would be charged with terrorism?

CazTGG

Oh stop this.

I wasn't aware conflicting reports about what actually happened, a confession that was given after days of torture and a picture of Khadr being a position where he couldn't throw the grenade constitutes "decent evidence" under Canadian law.

Then again, the above conclusion came from someone who was paranoid about M-103, so that says enough about whether they're engaging the discussion in good faith or being disingenuous to a T.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
From the wiki of the event:

The team began picking their way over dead animals and the bodies of three fighters.[28] According to Silver's 2007 telling of the event, he heard a sound "like a gunshot", and saw the three Delta Force soldiers duck; a grenade went by them and exploded near Speer at the rear of the group, "wearing Afghan garb and helmetless."[28][48][49][50] OC-1 reported that although he didn't hear any gunfire, the dust from the north side of the complex led him to believe the team was under fire from a shooter between the house and barn. He reported that a grenade was "lobbed" over the wall that led to the alley and landed 30–50 metres from the alley opening. Running towards the alley to escape the grenade, OC-1 fired a dozen M4 Carbine rounds into the alley as he ran past, although he couldn't see anything due to dust clouds. Crouching at the southeast entrance to the alleyway, OC-1 could see a man with a holstered pistol and two chest wounds moving on the ground next to an AK-47. From his position, OC-1 fired a single shot into the man's head, killing him.[35] When the dust cleared, OC-1 saw Khadr crouched on his knees facing away from the action and wounded by shrapnel (it had just permanently blinded his left eye);[36] he shot Khadr twice in the back.[35]

Bold 1: He did not aim for the medic at the back of the group - assuming he threw it, it was at the crowd of soldiers combing through the rubble

Bold 2: Dust clouds made visibility next to nil - that would especially be affecting Khadr

Bold 3: First, there was another militant there, who was seemingly trying to engage - he very likely could have been the one to throw the grande. Second, Khadr was on his knees, facing away from the action, blinded when they found him. Like... I don't know about you, but this isn't someone who is likely to be a goddamn ace at this particular moment at grande lobbing, nor is he someone I would blame for being terrified out of his mind - him being a 15 year old boy, remember.

maharg

idspispopd
Oh stop this.

But we have to move on. We're running around in circles here. There were serious Charter violations and the conviction was overturned. Without a confession received via torture there is not enough evidence to convict. End of story.

Oh stop this.

See I can be dismissive and condescending as well. Isn't that nice.

Gutter was very specifically insisting that his father's crimes are relevant. I do also happen to think with what I know of this case that it doesn't matter a bit whether or not he's guilty in terms of whether his charter rights were violated. Equivocating those things is a dark path I'm not going down. But I was answering a very specific point in a very specific post.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So there was another resignation on the Indigenous Women commission and I really don't know what this is turning into such a shit show. Either Trudeau needs to directly get involved or he needs to fire the minister responsible, because it's embarrassing at this point.

---

CBC did a news story on the handling of the two hostages captured and executed by the ISIS-affiliated group in the Philipines:
http://newsinteractives.cbc.ca/inde...ark-canadian-hostages-ridsdel-hall-kidnapping

It feels like they only got some measure of access because one of the families happened to know Bob Rae. If they didn't have an insider, I assume they would have just been told to wait for news.

What's strange is that the Canadian government had no contact with the Filipino government for a long time, showing the same hands off approach that the Conservative government had with hostage situations under their tenure, and that while a military operation was worked up by the Filipino military, they left it up to the family to decide whether or not it should go through.

I'm not sure what they could have done. The hostages were beheaded, and if the government didn't actually have any plan to negotiate the release of the hostages, I'm not sure why they didn't authorize a military action without the families' unanimous consent. Incidentally. the other hostages that were kidnapped with the two Canadian men were freed, one of which whose ransom was paid by the Filipino government itself, so certainly the rest of the world is fine paying off ransoms to free hostages.

Sean C

John Ibbitson's column on Jagmeet Singh cites various anonymous campaign officials as saying that he has raised more in the first six weeks of his campaign than every other NDP candidate combined in the first quarter.

Get ready to feel the Jag-mentum.

John Ibbitson's column on Jagmeet Singh cites various anonymous campaign officials as saying that he has raised more in the first six weeks of his campaign than every other NDP candidate combined in the first quarter.

Get ready to feel the Jag-mentum.

If Mainstreet's numbers from a few days ago are accurate, he'd better hope that money is all from new members who aren't being picked up by polling. Otherwise, he'll be a pretty spectacular flameout.

I don't think that his lack of appeal to Quebec will doom him in the leadership, though. There aren't many party members in the province, so it'll be nearly impossible to glean any insights about how the province feels towards someone who wears their religion so prominently. Even if he wins and the party loses most of their remaining seats in the province in 2019, it'll be tough to say how much of that is because of the turban & kirpan, and how much of it is the party receding back to its pre-Layton levels in Quebec. It'll play into their performance, but I think that Ashton and Angus will have just as much trouble holding onto seats if they win.

Silexx

I'm alarmed that that survey says almost 30% of Quebeckers wouldn't vote for a party led by a Jew.

I mean, if you look at all the religious affiliations, 'Jew' is the one that rates the highest in Quebec. But that's the point of the article, any overt religious affiliation from politicians is viewed with high skepticism in Quebec.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I'm alarmed that that survey says almost 30% of Quebeckers wouldn't vote for a party led by a Jew.

Out of context this sounds bad, then you see that the percentage is far higher (or lower, if you count it as "would you vote for") for Evangelical Christians. So Quebeckers trust Jews more than Evangelical Christians. :p In fact out of all the religions listed, the percentage for a Jew is the highest.

It's about religion and secularism far more than race.

From the article itself:

In no other part of the country do the results line up as they do in Quebec: markedly less likely to support parties whose leaders wear some visible sign of their religious affiliation, markedly more likely to do so if their difference is expressed in some other way besides religion.
There's an obvious explanation for this, but it rarely gets mentioned whenever the debate over so-called ”reasonable accommodations" rears its head in Quebec or outside. It's that Quebec has a markedly different cultural history with organized and visible religion than much of the rest of Canada.

I like this part :D
The Angus Reid results suggest that if one of the NDP leadership candidates were a lesbian atheist, she'd likely receive a better response in Quebec than in any other region (as long as she spoke good French, another deal-breaker according to Angus Reid). But if she wore a headscarf representing any religious affiliation (including, I suspect, that of a practicing Catholic; I do wish the survey had tested that hunch) she'd be out of the running.

FWIW, as a Québécoise, I generally agree with my fellow Québécois on this, but I wouldn't mind Singh as PM either. If anything I'd trust him way more than an overt Christian, lol

There’s an obvious explanation for this, but it rarely gets mentioned whenever the debate over so-called “reasonable accommodations” rears its head in Quebec or outside. It’s that Quebec has a markedly different cultural history with organized and visible religion than much of the rest of Canada.

Good on MacLean's for mentioning this. There are too many victims of The Two Solitudes amongst Anglo-Canadians.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
How so? It seems that it's the most liked religion by the survey!

I'm actually surprised that MacLeans posted a balance editorial where it's finally well said: having a religion is seen as regressive in Quebec (or antiprogressive).

Mr.Mike

Bank of Canada raises interest rate for 1st time in 7 years to 0.75%

Loonie gains more than one cent US after rate hike

The Bank of Canada has raised its key interest rate as expected to 0.75 per cent — the central bank's first move upward in the cost of borrowing in seven years.

The bank's target for the overnight rate — at which major financial institutions make one-day loans to each other — moved up by one-quarter of a percentage point from 0.50 per cent.

In a statement accompanying the rate decision, the central bank said the Canadian economy has been robust, fuelled by household spending.

"As a result, a significant amount of economic slack has been absorbed," the bank said, adding that the remaining slack is expected to be gone around the end of this year, which is earlier than the bank anticipated in its April Monetary Policy Report.

The move means consumers will likely pay more for borrowing such as variable-rate mortgages and lines of credit.

In the wake of the rate hike, the Canadian dollar shot up. The loonie was trading up 1.14 cents at 78.53 cents US by Wednesday afternoon.

The interest rate increase had been widely expected after senior Bank of Canada officials signalled in speeches and interviews over the past weeks that lower rates had done their job, and the Canadian economy was performing well.

Speaking at a news conference on Wednesday in Ottawa, Bank of Canada governor Stephen Poloz acknowledged that the bank raised its key rate despite inflation currently lagging below its stated target of two per cent. Poloz said the bank considers that weakness in inflation to be temporary.

"It is worth remembering that it can take 18 to 24 months for a monetary policy action to have its full effect on inflation. This means that central banks must target future inflation by anticipating future deviations from target."

"It is about where we expect inflation to be," Poloz told reporters.

The bank is currently expecting a "modest overshoot" of the two per cent inflation target in 2019.

Pedrito

From astronaut to Governor General is like going back 300 years.

Oh well, astronaut from Montréal, it doesn't get more "Laurentian elite" than that. Can't wait to see the reactions.

Sean C

I don't consider being a TV presenter a worthy enough profile to land this job. All three previous female GG were.
Er, if their pre-GG credentials are what most concern you, Jeanne Sauve was a federal cabinet minister and the Speaker of the House of Commons.

there is nothing wrong with Michaelle Jean prior to her becoming GG,
her problem is that she loved the perks of being GG too much while being GG

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Wait, people hate Adrienne Clarkson?

To me she's noteworthy because we went from banning Chinese people and not allowing them to vote to having a Chinese person be the head of state in a little under 60 years.

SRG01

I can't speak for him, but her allowing Stephen Harper to prorogue parliament will forever be a blight on her record as GG in my eyes.

There's nothing she could've done in that situation, as GGs have to take advice from the Privy Council. The entire thing about consulting constitutional lawyers was just for show.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I can't speak for him, but her allowing Stephen Harper to prorogue parliament will forever be a blight on her record as GG in my eyes.
Well, this is why we should have a president instead of an appointed figurehead who would have been accused of being partisan since she was a Liberal appointee.

Sean C

There's nothing she could've done in that situation, as GGs have to take advice from the Privy Council. The entire thing about consulting constitutional lawyers was just for show.
That isn't true. Governors General have discretion in cases like that.

But I understand why she did it, since the position of the GG in matters of this nature is precarious, even if I think it was a mistake. The House really needs, going forward, to pass rules better clarifying procedure in matters of prorogation.

CazTGG

So...this is happening: https://www.thestar.com/news/canada...ism-and-homophobia-in-35-million-lawsuit.html

Five intelligence officers and analysts with Canada’s spy service have launched a $35-million lawsuit against their employer, claiming the Canadian Security Intelligence Service is a toxic workplace with managers who openly espouse Islamophobic, racist and homophobic views and discriminate against Muslim, Black and gay employees...

One of the complainants, a Toronto intelligence officer with more than a decade of service and identified in the claim by the pseudonym “Alex,” is gay and has a Muslim partner.

According to the statement of claim, an October 2015 email sent to him by his manager “Simon” stated: “Careful your Muslim in-laws don’t behead you in your sleep for being homo.” Another boss, given the pseudonym “Joe,” allegedly wrote: “You’re just a fag hiding in your little corner sobbing.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom