• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian PoliGAF - 42nd Parliament: Sunny Ways in Trudeaupia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pedrito

It's so "canadian" to feel offended for not being invited to a meeting, without knowing why. I thought you were my friend Netherlands. How could you?

edit: the big title currently on RDI: "Terrorisme : Le Canada ignoré", with three pundits seriously worried about it. Haha.

gabbo

Just to give some perspective on Canada's six fighter aircraft... since 30-Oct-2014 and as of 17-Jan-2016 they have flown 1302 missions, (sorties), whatever... which works out to about three flights per day. To my thinking that makes sense given that three fighters are probably always down for routine maintenance. I would say that is a symbolic contribution. Source.

As for the "snubbing"... there are 58 other countries in the coalition that were not invited to the meeting... are they being snubbed as well?

They is likely blood in the streets over their ministers not being there. 58 very bloodied streets

Silexx

http://www.obj.ca/Technology/2016-01-20/article-4410051/Apple-to-open-facility-in-Kanata%2C-sources-say/1

Apple has leased space at a Kanata office complex in preparation for setting up a facility in the National Capital Region, several sources have confirmed to OBJ.

Apple has leased space at KRP's G. Best Building at the Kanata Research Park, sources confirm.

Although the California-based tech giant has yet to publicly announce it is establishing a presence in Ottawa, sources say they believe the 22,100-square-foot suite at 411 Legget Dr. in the Kanata Research Park will be devoted to research and development.

Based Trudeau!

Tapejara

Federal Government said to give Alberta and Saskatchewan $1 billion stimulus

Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has decided to focus initial stimulus efforts in oil-producing Alberta and Saskatchewan, while waiting to assess whether further stimulus is needed nationwide, according to officials familiar with the plans.

The government is in talks to quickly allocate C$1 billion ($690 million) for infrastructure projects in the two provinces -- money earmarked by the previous government’s infrastructure fund but not yet delivered, two of the officials said. The move is part of a decision to prioritize new infrastructure in the two provinces because the impact of the oil-price shock is strongest there, said three government officials who spoke on condition of anonymity because budget decisions aren’t yet final.

I love Trudeau more and more everyday. Thank God Harper's gone.

I know what you mean. I'm just personally happy and excited that Trudeau is saying he want's to jump into and prop up our knowledge sectors, mainly because that's just one sector that will keep on growing as time goes on.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I was thinking about how that's pretty much what Canada would have to do, glad to hear it today.

We need investments to reduce the costs of:

1- Health care
2- Housing
3- Energy
4- Education
5- Food
6- Transportation

Sadly I don't think sums will be heavily invested in technology that would reduce those expenditures, except maybe renewables.

Gitaroo

Ha, now all Trudeau needs to do is fund a new Canadian graphics card maker to compete with Nvidia and AMD and then the tech world will be right once more. Oh and CPUs too.

If only we still got ATi... We should have pump more money into the company during the radeon 9700pro era to help them expand. Would have been a great investment then watching them die with AMD.

Tabris

Justin Trudeau ‏@JustinTrudeau 3h
Good meetings today in #Davos. My thanks to Facebook’s @SherylSandberg and Microsoft CEO @SatyaNadella. #WEF16

CZNTkmkW0AAt7YZ.jpg
CZNTmCPW0AASfTD.jpg

He gets it.

Everyone should listen to his speech at DAVOS where he links to diversity to economic growth in 4th industrial revolution (actually he goes through a lot more, still listening to the speech but it's very good):

http://www.weforum.org/events/world...eeting-2016/sessions/the-canadian-opportunity

SRG01

I use Paint Shop Pro.

As for the tech stuff, it's a bit of a no-brainer. A lot of our tech grads go to the states already, and our low Canadian dollar means that companies can employ our professionals for a fraction of the cost without any relocation incentives.

Rona Ambrose is now calling on the government to legalize pot as quickly as possible.

Between this and Clement criticizing the Liberals for emulating the Conservatives on transparency -- I can't remember what the issue was, but he explicitly said that they shouldn't follow the last government's example -- it's kind of astounding how quickly the CPC is trying to disavow everything to do with Harper.

Just to give some perspective on Canada's six fighter aircraft... since 30-Oct-2014 and as of 17-Jan-2016 they have flown 1302 missions, (sorties), whatever... which works out to about three flights per day. To my thinking that makes sense given that three fighters are probably always down for routine maintenance. I would say that is a symbolic contribution. Source.

As for the "snubbing"... there are 58 other countries in the coalition that were not invited to the meeting... are they being snubbed as well?

On the one hand, I agree that Canada not being invited to one meeting probably isn't that big a deal, since our contribution isn't *that* substantial. On the other, I don't think that weighing Canada's overall contribution in the big scheme of things -- i.e. Dion's statement a few weeks ago that it's not a big deal if we pull out of the anti-Daesh bombing, since we only represent 2% of the total effort -- is a road we want to go down. By that logic, it feels like you could argue against Canada doing pretty much anything internationally...like, why bother fight climate change? We only represent a small fraction of the world's people and emissions, after all.

As far as I know, Corel is only used by old lawyers. Just the old ones.

There's a Corel office building just down the street from me, and I really wonder what they're doing in there.

explodet

Rona Ambrose is now calling on the government to legalize pot as quickly as possible.

Between this and Clement criticizing the Liberals for emulating the Conservatives on transparency -- I can't remember what the issue was, but he explicitly said that they shouldn't follow the last government's example -- it's kind of astounding how quickly the CPC is trying to disavow everything to do with Harper.
It had to do with the arms deal with Saudi Arabia.

Tony Clement's criticism of a lack of transparency with the arms deal that the Tories brokered and kept secret took some impressive mental gymnastics.
Dude even tried to take back his defense of the elimination of the long-form census.

gabbo

Of course it comes down to 'Won't someone think of the children?'. Interesting how fast the CPC's head has been spinning since the cloud of Harper has lifted, but it's not like she's in favour of it so much as she is trying demonise the current set up [in Vancouver especially it seems].

Tabris

Canadian dollar is rallying back now from the no interest change news. Went past .70 cents and a small dip but it's back to last week's numbers.

Canadian dollar is rallying back now from the no interest change news. Went past .70 cents and a small dip but it's back to last week's numbers.

I thought it was mostly down to the oil rally today. WTI's heading back towards $30, plus stocks are having a better day than usual.

It's probably all just temporary though.

Pedrito

Nice little passive agressive twitter war going over Energy East.

‏Brian Jean@BrianJeanWRP You can’t dump raw sewage, accept foreign tankers, benefit from equalization and then reject our pipelines http://wildro.se/df #ableg

Brad Wall ‏@PremierBradWall
I trust Montreal area mayors will politely return their share of $10B in equalization supported by west #EnergyEast

DenisCoderre ‏@DenisCoderre
Population de la Communauté Métropolitaine de Montréal: 4 millions... Population de la Saskatchewan: 1.13 millions....

The good old equalization card.

I honestly hope energy east gets cockblocked. They shouldn't be arguing train vs pipeline, that's just a false dichotomy, they should just restrict output to what's safe (IE not on fucking trains) and not build any more bitumen pipelines, especially not huge ones along the St. Lawrence.

Gitaroo

I honestly hope energy east gets cockblocked. They shouldn't be arguing train vs pipeline, that's just a false dichotomy, they should just restrict output to what's safe (IE not on fucking trains) and not build any more bitumen pipelines, especially not huge ones along the St. Lawrence.

Yes, lets destroy the business that feeds the country for decade. Safe? Sure. Stop accepting foreign tankers, stop using fuel, everyone from the east coast can live in caves or start walking in winter storm. Oh enjoy drinking sewage water.

Mr.Mike

Are you saying that they should just permanently limit their production, or that they should use something other than trains?

I'm not sure how you expect them to transport this stuff if they can't do it by train or build more pipelines.

Are you saying that they should just permanently limit their production, or that they should use something other than trains?

I'm not sure how you expect them to transport this stuff if they can't do it by train or build more pipelines.

Transport it over existing pipelines, don't build more. Just limit output. It's not like the world needs more oil right now anyway.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Everyone wants to get rid of the stuff, there's huge demand for liquidity so selling all the oil at any price is the new modus operandi of all oil producers. The current jump in oil prices will end up stalling since any increase in prices will justify continuing to expand supply, outpacing demand any time the global economy hits a bump. It's a new normal and we're not getting out of it.

Oil should become marginalized as an engine of economic growth.

Gitaroo

Transport it over existing pipelines, don't build more. Just limit output. It's not like the world needs more oil right now anyway.

Most part of the energy east pipe line are the conversion.
cp-transcanada-energy-east-pipeline.jpg

New addition to export out of the country same with northern gateway pipeline. You know like making foreign money not paying foreign countries money at the same time buy cheaper local oil to cut down their 300billions dollar deficit.

LordAmused

The government should invest in refineries so we could use our own oil instead of shipping it away. 49% for gov. 51% for private sector. A joint venture, everybody loves joint ventures!

I'm a dreaming liberal.

Pedrito

New addition to export out of the country same with northern gateway pipeline. You know like making foreign money not paying foreign countries money at the same time buy cheaper local oil to cut down their 300billions dollar deficit.

Well you can see on that map that unlike in the rest of the country, the pipeline in Québec goes through a heavyly populated area right next to a major river. So it's not exactly an interesting proposal, not with the peanuts it would generate.

pr0cs

The government should invest in refineries so we could use our own oil instead of shipping it away
It's rare that I agree with anyone in this thread but this is a good comment.
We, as citizens of the country should be getting a lot more benefit of having so many resources. We shouldn't be taxed to death like we are on gas and oil. It's madness to me that the cost of gas here is almost 2x what our friends to the south pay yet we have access to so much more of it than they do.

The government should invest in refineries so we could use our own oil instead of shipping it away. 49% for gov. 51% for private sector. A joint venture, everybody loves joint ventures!

I'm a dreaming liberal.

we do have refieniries in the East, they were closed down by oil companies themselves

In the East end of Montreal, we have refineries sitting there that were shut down.

jstripes

Banned

Trains aren't necessarily a bad choice. The problem is the rail industry has been allowed to set its own safety regulations.

So the René Angélil state (yup) funeral is being broadcast on the French CBC and it is weeeeeiiiiiiiird. I've had it on in the background for like 30 min.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/entertainment/rene-angelil-funeral-what-you-need-to-know-1.2746466

Stream: http://www.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=...binId=1.810401&playlistPageNum=1&binPageNum=1

Should be wrapping up momentarily.
for sure it's weird, the man was like 27 years older than Celine; he met her when she was 12....

Sean C

Woohoo, my career as a political pundit begins in the new issue of Maclean's, with my trenchant insight into an article suggesting what Jeremy Corbyn could learn from Justin Trudeau!

Macleans%20Letter_zpsxytqcqld.jpg

Most of the existing pipelines are very old and they were designed for natural gas, not sludge.

There is speculation that it would reduce the flow of natural gas to Ontario, thus leading to higher rates for customers.

It crosses the territory of 180 indigenous groups.

It would create more green house gas each year than all the closed coal plants in Ontario.

What's the break even point? $50 a barrel? $60?

Gitaroo

Most of the existing pipelines are very old and they were designed for natural gas, not sludge.

There is speculation that it would reduce the flow of natural gas to Ontario, thus leading to higher rates for customers.

It crosses the territory of 180 indigenous groups.

It would create more green house gas each year than all the closed coal plants in Ontario.

What's the break even point? $50 a barrel? $60?

For suncor, I believe it can be as low as $28, syncrude is around $40 but their products are sold at higher market price because less refinement process are need. All depends on method of extraction. Yes, the current pipeline going to the east is meant for natural gas, not sure what will happen to that honestly, the current NDP government in Alberta is also phasing out coal so either way coal isn't a long term solution. The main point is to get our oil out of the country and also provide the east with our own resources instead paying somebody else money which can help the east on their deficits. These pipe lines takes years to build the whole point of getting them approved asap is to assure investors that there is still a future in natural resources sector before they pull out. The market hate uncertainty.

Vibranium

Banned
Woohoo, my career as a political pundit begins in the new issue of Maclean's, with my trenchant insight into an article suggesting what Jeremy Corbyn could learn from Justin Trudeau!

Macleans%20Letter_zpsxytqcqld.jpg

Ha, way to go Sean. I had a letter published in my local paper one time and it felt great but being in Macleans is awesome!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom