• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian PoliGAF - 42nd Parliament: Sunny Ways in Trudeaupia

Status
Not open for further replies.

SRG01

It wasn't stupid at all at a time when the BC and Alberta governments seemed intent on bringing in two tier health care by the back door. Martin was a terrible PM and not publicly supporting universal health care was a dumb dumb hill to kill the Liberal government over. Layton was throwing Martin a lifeline. Martin preferring to drown instead was completely his own business.

If nobody is against single payer health care then just say so and move on. Seriously.

It's a strawman. People shouldn't have to go through visible purity or loyalty tests and be judged on them. This isn't the red scare.

SRG01

I don't think policy statements can really be considered akin to loyalty tests.

Diaspora already made the point above, but highlight the strategy behind it: if he doesn't answer it, it'll tarnish his character. If he does answer, Martin will seem weak in the face of Layton. This exact analysis was covered extensively during Martin's tenure.

The whole thing wasn't a policy move. It's a power politics move, plain and simple.

Azih

It's a strawman. People shouldn't have to go through visible purity or loyalty tests and be judged on them. This isn't the red scare.
It was a minority government. That requires give and take and Layton's ask was beyond reasonable. Especially considering it was a time where single payer health care was under a lot of pressure from provincial governments not cracking down on private clinics.

From Layton's point of view the NDP couldn't just go along with a scandal tainted Martin government without some kind of concession. And the concession shouldn't even have been viewed as such. It's single payer health care!

maharg

idspispopd
Diaspora already made the point above, but highlight the strategy behind it: if he doesn't answer it, it'll tarnish his character. If he does answer, Martin will seem weak in the face of Layton. This exact analysis was covered extensively during Martin's tenure.

The whole thing wasn't a policy move. It's a power politics move, plain and simple.

Did you believe that it was right for a minority government to not be conciliatory to the parties holding it in power when Harper took the reins as well? This is silly. A minority government *should* be cooperative with the votes keeping them in power. The fact that's seen as weak is part of the problem.

gabbo

Did you believe that it was right for a minority government to not be conciliatory to the parties holding it in power when Harper took the reins as well? This is silly. A minority government *should* be cooperative with the votes keeping them in power. The fact that's seen as weak is part of the problem.

Party power and ideology trumps actually having a functional House that passes legislation. It's sad that this and coalitions have become such bogey men in Canadian politics (or politics in general)

SRG01

It was a minority government. That requires give and take and Layton's ask was beyond reasonable. Especially considering it was a time where single payer health care was under a lot of pressure from provincial governments not cracking down on private clinics.

From Layton's point of view the NDP couldn't just go along with a scandal tainted Martin government without some kind of concession. And the concession shouldn't even have been viewed as such. It's single payer health care!

But the NDP during the Layton years never dealt in good faith, having agreements intended to topple both the Liberal and CPC minority governments in their respective years. It was never about cooperation, but rather about Layton taking advantage of the political environment to bolster the NDP.

That whole era of federal politics was a complete circus, and it was extremely telling when Duceppe was the most principled and honest out of all parties.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I don't think it's unprincipled for a left social democratic party to oppose a right-liberal party (which the Liberal party was for most of the 90s and arguably some of the 00s) with the same ferocity they oppose a right-conservative party. I don't think there's any essential tension between trying both to engineer the defeat of the centre-right AND trying to drag them leftward through policy concessions in the meantime.

In fact, the objection to the NDP trying to tank the Liberals is that it's poor strategy, not that it's unprincipled. Consider the flak Horwath rightfully got for turning down a progressive, conciliatory Ontario budget only to hurt her own party's standing, give Wynne a majority, and have her subsequent budget be further to the right. That's bad strategy, not unprincipled. It's exactly principled to say "This is not left enough for me, so I will vote against it, consequences be damned".

I think there's definitely reason to scrutinize Layton's strategy during the Martin years, and I think it's reasonable enough to argue that the most effective opposition builds up the government rather than tearing it down--maharg's point that mutual cooperation is the ideal outcome of a minority government is very well taken--but I can't for the life of me see a reading that finds it insincere or unprincipled.

SRG01

First of all, I'm typing this on my phone due to late night insomnia so I apologize in advance for any typos on this post.

The bad faith portion had always stemmed from the political opportunism -- supporting the budget with laughable concessions, only to defeat the government a year or so later, reading that public sentiment was on their side while not taking the real opportunity to extract more concessions. There were a few others, such as working with the CPC (and Bloc) in 2004 to upend the Liberals; reaching out to Broadbent for a coalition in 2008 when the Liberals were at its weakest; leaning right-ward to pick up left-leaning Liberals, sensing the Liberals' weakness on the right.

Both the NDP and CPC of the era had a common goal: decimation of the center Liberals, leading to a polarized left-right political system. Much of what the NDP did during this era can be argued as politically driven, and not from policy.

The culmination of all this was the election of Mulcair as the leader of the NDP, selected not because he was ideologically aligned with classical NDP ideals, but because he engineered their gains and ground game in Quebec.

(If it sounds like I'm bitter about the NDP at times, it's because I was a very left NDP/Liberal supporter up until 2008 or so, when I went over to the Greens.)

Azih

I think there's definitely reason to scrutinize Layton's strategy during the Martin years, and I think it's reasonable enough to argue that the most effective opposition builds up the government rather than tearing it down--maharg's point that mutual cooperation is the ideal outcome of a minority government is very well taken--but I can't for the life of me see a reading that finds it insincere or unprincipled.

The thing is though that the 2nd lifeline Layton threw Martin was an eminently reasonable one. It was Martin who rejected it out of hand and decided that he'd rather face the electorate than.... Support Single Payer health care? There are certainly grounds to criticize Layton but his actions during the Martin minority were completely reasonable and examples of how a smaller party should act in a minority.

And frankly let's not forget how much pressure the Canada Health Act was under at the time. Hell one of the principal jerks pushing for two tier at the time, Dr. Brian Day, is still at it with a legal challenge to single payer.

Both the NDP and CPC of the era had a common goal: decimation of the center Liberals, leading to a polarized left-right political system.
I'm sorry but this is mind reading motivation guessing nonsense and certainly doesn't fit the second Layton offer to Martin. Hell Layton and Dion almost managed to cooperate and kick Harper the hell out before he could do too much damage. The tactical mistake they made was including Duceppe which allowed Harper to cynically rile up enough ROC anger to undermine one of the unspoken principals of Canadian democracy to hang on to power. How the heck does that gibe with your NDP/Con conspiracy theory? How does the NDPs constant whinging for PR fit that conspiracy theory?

It's a matter of public record that the NDP and the Conservatives under Layton and Harper coordinated on some things, both when they were both in opposition, and after Harper became PM. I even recall there being a book that mentioned how they were collaborating during Question Period to beat up on Martin, but now I can't find the details. Some journalists believed it went farther than that, and even Dion suggested they were working together to bring down the Liberals.

That said...while CPC-NDP cooperation may come off as being a little shady, I don't see a problem with it. Both of those parties benefit from a weakened Liberal Party, so it makes sense that they'd work together to achieve that goal. The Liberals should've responded by getting better at governing and campaigning, not complaining about it.

Likewise, while there was something a little unseemly about making Martin publicly state his support for health care (in that it's a little like questioning someone's patriotism)...so what? The onus wasn't on Layton to save Martin's skin. A Liberal government may come closer to meeting the NDP's goals and wishes than a CPC government, but in the end, if you're an NDPer, you probably think that neither of them goes as far as you'd like.

Besides that, I think history shows that Paul Martin's political instincts were garbage. He may have been great at organizing a behind-the-scenes coup against Chretien (or, at least, people on his team were), but he was a disaster of a PM. I'd think that the mere fact he did something is argument enough it was a bad idea.

Azih

Apologies for posting twice in a row, but just saw this on Twitter and wanted to share: Alexandre Boulerice won't be running for the NDP leadership, even though he'd been hinting pretty broadly that he would be prior to the summer.

The total number of NDP leadership candidates remains at 0 -- which, really, makes stories like this, about NDP MPs trying to oust Mulcair, kind of bizarre. Who do they think is going to jump in to take his place?
I'm pretty sure they assumed Cullen. But Cullen, like May, is laser focused on reform and I applaud both for it.

Matthew: I agree broadly with your earlier post but Layton was very up front about being willing to work with anyone to advance his policy objectives.

SRG01

Apologies for posting twice in a row, but just saw this on Twitter and wanted to share: Alexandre Boulerice won't be running for the NDP leadership, even though he'd been hinting pretty broadly that he would be prior to the summer.

The total number of NDP leadership candidates remains at 0 -- which, really, makes stories like this, about NDP MPs trying to oust Mulcair, kind of bizarre. Who do they think is going to jump in to take his place?

It's not bizarre, IMO. The NDP is fractured as a party both in terms of policy and leadership as evidenced by the ideological clashes during their convention earlier this year. There definitely are factions within the party that want Mulcair gone, regardless of the consequences.

I think it's safe to assume that the core Quebec MPs would be the ones that want Mulcair to stay. Any other MPs would likely have different priorities and loyalties.

Tapejara

So it turns out that Forum Research Inc. put out a poll on the topic of screening immigrants for anti-Canadian values that I had posted about above. Unfortunately, the numbers are kind of depressing. According to their poll they found that 67% of Canadians would be in favour of screening immigrants for anti-Canadian values.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada...ur-screening-immigrant-values-poll-shows.html

A new Forum Research Inc. poll for the Star shows that Leitch may be tapping into an idea that Canadians favour with 67 per cent saying immigrants should indeed be screened for “anti-Canadian values.”

More importantly for Leitch, the poll shows that the idea is especially popular among Conservative supporters with 87 per cent backing the idea and just 8 per cent opposed compared to 57 per cent support among Liberals and 59 per cent for New Democrat voters.

When asked to choose the values respondents believe are important, equality came out on top (27 per cent), followed by patriotism (15 per cent), fairness (12 per cent) and tolerance (11 per cent).

Conservative backers put patriotism at the top their list of important values. Liberals and New Democrats ranked equality as their first choice.

How would you actually screen for these qualities?

More details:

The idea finds most support among those ages 45 to 64 (73 per cent); more men (70 per cent) than women (64 per cent); living in Quebec (71 per cent) and Ontario (70 per cent) than those in the Atlantic provinces (56 per cent).

Thankfully, I don't think the current Liberal party would take this stance, and while the NDP is going through it's own internal turmoil I can't see them supporting this either. But 87% support among Conservatives is definitely going to be cause for concern, especially with the CPC's statements during the last federal election.

My gut tells me that these values tests would be an easy way for a politcal party to filter out potential political opponents from immigrating and voting against them.

Regardless, this survey is dumb. It's not like we don't already screen people immigrating here anyway. Same could be said for the US but look at all those idiots who eat up Trump's bullshit.

Provinces didn't get screwed over in PET's time because they weren't important (NEP came about precisely because prairie resource extraction was important). They got screwed over because they had no meaningful representation in government.

Which is why I consider our electoral system a fundamental problem that needs to be fixed before a lot of other people's wishlists can even be meaningfully attacked. :p

NEP came about because of the 73 and 79 oil crisis and their impact on the Canadian economy.

Is anybody here old enough to remember that? It's like everybody here are older than 50 suddenly. Trudeau tried to develop the energy sector to the benefit of the whole country and the west was just interested in short term profits which is why no pipeline was ever built across the country. Now, it's becoming a priority because the US has so much oil it doesn't even need to buy discounted Canadian oil anymore.

Anybody still have their "Let the Eastern bastards freeze in the dark" bumper stickers?

gabbo

So it turns out that Forum Research Inc. put out a poll on the topic of screening immigrants for anti-Canadian values that I had posted about above. Unfortunately, the numbers are kind of depressing. According to their poll they found that 67% of Canadians would be in favour of screening immigrants for anti-Canadian values.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada...ur-screening-immigrant-values-poll-shows.html

More details:

Thankfully, I don't think the current Liberal party would take this stance, and while the NDP is going through it's own internal turmoil I can't see them supporting this either. But 87% support among Conservatives is definitely going to be cause for concern, especially with the CPC's statements during the last federal election.

Imagine Kelly Leitch as leader of the CPC based on this.

More details:

Doesn't surprise me. All these questions do is take advantage of the electorates ignorance when it comes to our own immigration system which already more or less does a good job of filtering out applicants which would fit any potential "anti-canadian values" you were to put to an easily faked test

CazTGG

Not exactly that big a surprise, unfortunately, when you consider that over 80% of Canadians supported the niqab ban when that was a thing, especially in Quebec.

Tapejara

My gut tells me that these values tests would be an easy way for a politcal party to filter out potential political opponents from immigrating and voting against them.

Regardless, this survey is dumb. It's not like we don't already screen people immigrating here anyway. Same could be said for the US but look at all those idiots who eat up Trump's bullshit.

Yeah, that's what I find astounding. It's not like we don't already have a vetting process.

Not exactly that big a surprise, unfortunately, when you consider that over 80% of Canadians supported the niqab ban when that was a thing, especially in Quebec.

Man that's disheartening.

The daycare situation in this province is completely fucked. We signed up for a slot in Ottawa around 6 months ago, and it said there was a 2 year waiting list.

So the Ontario Government just held a new Speech from the Throne where they outlined a plan of Removing HST from Hydro Amungst other things like creating 100,000 new daycare spaces

Looking at my bill, that's going to save me about... $2.50 every month and a half.

The biggest problem with hydro bills is the fucking delivery charge, not taxes. My delivery charge is about 2x more than the actual electricity I use.

Sean C

The soap opera with Hunter Tootoo continues, as we now learn that the inappropriate relationship that got him turfed from Cabinet and the Liberal caucus was that he was dating a younger female staffer while at the same time, and unbeknownst to her, carrying on a serious relationship with her mother.

SRG01

Cutting Hydro bills polls well you see...

I think the voters are well beyond a HST reduction on their Hydro bill to even consider voting for the Liberals...

Looking at my bill, that's going to save me about... $2.50 every month and a half.

The biggest problem with hydro bills is the fucking delivery charge, not taxes. My delivery charge is about 2x more than the actual electricity I use.

Alberta gets nailed by the delivery and rider charges too. The actual cost of electricity is peanuts compared to every other tacked on charge on the bill. Same with my natural gas.

The soap opera with Hunter Tootoo continues, as we now learn that the inappropriate relationship that got him turfed from Cabinet and the Liberal caucus was that he was dating a younger female staffer while at the same time, and unbeknownst to her, carrying on a serious relationship with her mother.

That's... uh... I really have no words for that.

So Peter Mackay won't be running for CPC leadership. I don't think he would've won for all kinds of reasons -- not enough money, no base, no seat, etc. -- but I'm still surprised. I know a few Cons who are going to be shaken by this news. I started my Master's program last week, and there are tonnes of Tories in it who lost their jobs after the last election, and all of them thought Mackay was going to be their saviour.

...wow.

sikkinixx

I understand, but it's also not the PM's job to encourage places with regressive gender beliefs either.

Then we'd get snarky tweets from dingus's saying

"Apparently self-proclaimed tolerant @JustinTrudeau is OK w/snubbing religious meetings as long as it's against Islamic Canadians!"

gabbo

I understand, but it's also not the PM's job to encourage places with regressive gender beliefs either.

He can do more good by going and talking the people there, than he can be staying home and casting aspersion at them from afar.

So Peter Mackay won't be running for CPC leadership. I don't think he would've won for all kinds of reasons -- not enough money, no base, no seat, etc. -- but I'm still surprised. I know a few Cons who are going to be shaken by this news. I started my Master's program last week, and there are tonnes of Tories in it who lost their jobs after the last election, and all of them thought Mackay was going to be their saviour.

Nothing of value lost, other than seeing him saddened by not winning, again.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

I predict the CPC will not win in 2019.

I think if the decision is "two mosques want to host me, do I attend the one that has more gender intergration or less", it should be the one with more, probably. I think if the decision is "should I boycott all mosques because Islam has hangups about women", I don't think so. I think the dual objectives of being inclusive to Muslims and encouraging the spread of liberal values and dignity for women in Islam are better served by engaging that shutting off.

(also "self-proclaimed" is the stupidest adjective ever. there's no feminist bureau. everyone who identifies as feminist is "self-proclaimed", including the guy calling out trudeau who has "feminist" in his twitter bio)

Tapejara

That tweet reminds me of an op-ed Maclean's put out a few days ago titled "Is Trudeau a Fake Feminist?" Skimmed through it, and despite the clickbait headline the article seems less focused on dismissing Trudea's feminism as disingenuous, and more interested in suggesting ways that he and the federal government can improve.

I really wish Maclean's didn't use such an awful headline though.

Not denying the inherent misogyny behind gender-separated worship, but the frontrunner for the Conservative leadership is someone who a) wants to implement a values test for immigrants, b) was the face of her party's proposal to have a "barbaric cultural practices" hotline, through which people could snitch on their neighbours, and c) was part of a government that enacted legislation that could've allowed them to take away the citizenship of people they didn't like. The takeaway from Trudeau attending an Eid celebration isn't "He's not really a feminist", it's "These people are just as Canadian as everyone else."

I predict the CPC will not win in 2019.

Probably not. But it's still pretty surprising that Mackay isn't running, after it seemed like he'd spent the last few months hinting pretty broadly that he was going to. Like I said, I don't think he would've won, but he would've entered the race with pretty high name recognition, and the media would've viewed him as the frontrunner even if he wasn't.

With him out, it'll be really interesting to see what happens. Leitch is suddenly the one driving the conversation, and she was already leading in terms of money. The newest CPC poll has her ahead of Tony Clement (who's already trying to one-up her on the terrorism front), Andrew Scheer (who just quit as House Leader), and Erin O'Toole (whom I know nothing about). I could see the CPC GOP-ifying itself, as leadership contenders race to the right to appeal to their party's membership, only to find that they've basically made themselves unelectable outside of Alberta and rural Canada.

Sean C

Wikipedia says that Kellie Leitch's actual first name is "Khristinn". That automatically disqualifies her from being PM.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I think if the decision is "two mosques want to host me, do I attend the one that has more gender intergration or less", it should be the one with more, probably. I think if the decision is "should I boycott all mosques because Islam has hangups about women", I don't think so. I think the dual objectives of being inclusive to Muslims and encouraging the spread of liberal values and dignity for women in Islam are better served by engaging that shutting off.
I understand your point, but I don't quite agree, because I don't think "engaging" them really won't change anything with regards to their regressive beliefs. Personally I think gender equality to be far more important than coddling religious beliefs. If Islam has hang-ups with women, it's Islam's responsibility to change.

FWIW I do agree that this doesn't really make Trudeau "less" feminist (I mean I do think he's a sincere feminist), and the tweet was just an easy dig at him. But I do wish he had spoken out more about this. He actually kind of threw some very subtle shade, I guess, mentioning "this beautiful room ... <pause> with the sisters upstairs...".

But when he was grilled about it, he just spouted platitudes about diversity and bringing people together and then just dodged the question to talk about his economic plans (WTF), instead of addressing the actual gender issue. So yeah, he could have done better.

Speaking as a Muslim at a time when mosques and Muslim women are being set on fire in the West....
This has nothing to do with what I'm talking about.

Screw your disappointment Morrigan.

And screw that guy's tweet.
Well that's rude.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Thought you all would like to read this article from the G&M about foreign mortgage financing.

Canadian banks&#8217; mortgage guidelines favour foreign home buyers

Canadian banks allow foreign clients with no credit history, including students, to qualify for uninsured mortgages without proving the sources of their income &#8211; a practice that exempts non-Canadians who have money in the bank from the scrutiny domestic borrowers face when buying a home or an investment property.

Those exceptions to the regular rules are outlined in internal documents from Scotiabank and the Bank of Montreal reviewed by The Globe and Mail. Scotiabank&#8217;s guidelines specify that loans officers do not need to verify foreign clients&#8217; sources of income if they make down payments of 50 per cent. At BMO, such clients need only 35 per cent down to qualify for mortgages up to $2-million. The criteria from both banks show income verification is also not required for new immigrants who have been in Canada less than five years if they put 35 per cent down.

BMO&#8217;s guidelines also require clients, including &#8220;foreign students with a valid study permit,&#8221; to have the equivalent of one year&#8217;s mortgage payments on hand at the time the loan is issued.

The revelation stems from a Globe and Mail investigation that showed Vancouver real estate speculator Kenny Gu was able to buy and flip several single-family homes &#8211; while prices in the area skyrocketed &#8211; using credit from Canadian financial institutions. The case demonstrates how property ownership has become complex and shrouded in secrecy as a network of speculators &#8211; local and foreign &#8211; park money in Canadian real estate. Ownership and earnings are obscured in private contracts, while the players treat properties as commodities, not homes.

Documents provided to The Globe showed that Mr. Gu&#8217;s speculative real estate deals were bankrolled with down payments from his clients &#8211; Chinese citizens who come and go from Canada &#8211; and mortgages issued to some of those clients by Canadian lenders without income verification. The records show that Mr. Gu had a stake in some of the properties, and his deals relied heavily on bank financing.

Azih

This has nothing to do with what I'm talking about.
At a time when Muslims need as much solidarity and support from people in leadership positions in society posts like yours and tweets like that guy's have everything to do with the alienation and insecurity that Muslims feel in the West.

Well that's rude.
Here's what I heard you say: "Muslims are so terrible that no elected official should associate with them on their religious holidays. Let alone the PM of the country". Now you tell me what's rude.

Azih

I'm way, way, way out of the loop of Canadian politics. Can someone give me a brief rundown of what's going on right now?
Trudeau is having quite a long honeymoon phase despite the economy being not great. The Cons and the NDP are messes in completely different ways though neither have leaders at the moment. That's about it I'd think.

explodet

Yeah, compared to some countries that will remain nameless, our politics are downright boring right now.

I swear the biggest thing to make a ripple was the Tragically Hip concert in Kingston. :p

Slime

Banned
And one of our cabinet ministers spending thousands of taxpayer dollars to ride around Toronto in a limo. Err, I'm sorry, a sedan.

Yeah, Canadians politics is (mercifully) dull right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom