• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian PoliGAF - 42nd Parliament: Sunny Ways in Trudeaupia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vamphuntr

The PQ and the CPC both dipped their toes into dog whistle territory in recent campaigns, and didn't get much to show for it (and, of course, in the case of the CPC, they were the incumbent party).

They never went that far though. And PQ is basically a non issue. You only have to yell referendum and voters run away.

Are we one of the last western countries that hasn't embraced fear and hate?

I'm seriously feeling sick right now

It really is fascinating. ISIS has won, they did what no other terror organization could achieve before. Actually effecting the west to the point of electing a maniac

orochi91

I was seriously thinking of taking up job offers/opportunities in New York or New Jersey by February, but now I'm gonna put all that on hold.

Gonna keep my ass firmly in the GTA/Canada; I wouldn't feel safe being in the US during a Trump presidency, specifically because I'm Muslim.

What a disaster this night has become.

Well, this is gross.

Sandra Jansen and Donna Kennedy-Glans drop out of Alberta PC leadership race

The only two women vying for the leadership of Alberta's PC Party have both dropped out of the race.

Sandra Jansen and Donna Kennedy-Glans — socially progressive voices within the party — both gave notice on Tuesday that they were withdrawing.

Jansen cited intimidation and harassment for her decision.

"This past weekend in Red Deer has left me quite shaken. As you know, I have been a member of the PCAA [Progressive Conservative Association of Alberta] since 1985. I have volunteered for several leadership campaigns, constituency races, party president contests and more than a few general elections," she said in a news release.

"In all of that time, I have never before experienced harassment like that which occurred up to and including this past weekend in Red Deer."

In the release she said she has been harassed online and her social media feeds have been "filled with filth." The final straw in Red Deer was when "insults were scrawled on my nomination forms."

"Volunteers from another campaign chased me up and down the hall, attacking me for protecting women's reproductive rights, and my team was jeered for supporting children's rights to a safe school environment."

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/calgary/sandra-jansen-donna-kennedy-glans-drop-out-1.3842548

Holy shit...can there not be a time where both US and Canada governments are progressive. This would be a masssssive massive blow to things like climate change policy.

orochi91

It really is fascinating. ISIS has won, they did what no other terror organization could achieve before. Actually effecting the west to the point of electing a maniac
Some credit should be going to Putin as well.

He's funded Trump and the Far-Right movement throughout Europe; he's carving up the West and no one is seemingly able to stop him.

Brinbe

Feeling super thankful right now, especially as the rest of the world has seemingly lost its collective minds. Really does seem like we're the refuge for progress. But who knows how long that will last.

djkimothy

Well, for starters TrudeauMetre can tick off another promise as Broken... because Ain't in no way Trudeau getting along with Trump and the Republicans

I don't think anyone will get along with the new admin. I work for a federal agency and we were dumbfounded that he even got the nomination. i think there will be a lot of pissed of people tomorrow...

Kinsei

Banned
Feeling super thankful right now, especially as the rest of the world has seemingly lost its collective minds. Really does seem like we're the refuge for progress. But who knows how long that will last.

Not gonna lie, I'm worried that the next federal election will end in a PC majority.

Sean C

Alright, how fucked are we?
Eh, thus far Trump's protectionist rantings are mostly around starting trade wars with China and Mexico. It'll be bumpy, of course.

Though once Trump destroys the US economy, we might end up looking like a much better investment by comparison.

tfw Canada is the only Western country that hasn't become an alt-right shithole.
I propose a thread renaming: "Canadian PoliGAF - 42nd Parliament: Only Western country that's not an alt-right shithole."

djkimothy

Eh, thus far Trump's protectionist rantings are mostly around starting trade wars with China and Mexico. It'll be bumpy, of course.

Though once Trump destroys the US economy, we might end up looking like a much better investment by comparison.

I propose a thread renaming: "Canadian PoliGAF - 42nd Parliament: Only Western country that's not an alt-right shithole."

Considering that Canada is part of NAFTA we'll feel the pain as well. If he rips it up (which he is in his right to do) then expect higher prices on everything. We need to get CETA ratified, it's our only safety net from this cluster fuck.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Well, investment might rise here, but I think is a not a good thing for us at all. Especially since all hopes of combating climate change have just gone up in smoke.

Sean C

Well I guess I can look forward to a coal power plant being built in Sumas and getting Delhi like air quality.
Well, you don't have to worry there. Contrary to right wing memes about a War on Coal, the reason coal power is shutting down isn't the EPA, it's because cheap shale gas has made them totally economically unnecessary. Nobody will be looking to build new coal plants.

Mr.Mike

Guys, wealth is not a zero sum game. Trump will destroy a lot of economic productivity and the whole world will be poorer.

Possible we dodged a bullet by signing that.

We just have to push them to ratify it ASAP. Then maybe we can quickly run out and get that proposed Commonwealth one signed with the UK, NZ and Austrailia. That'll make up the difference and put us back in a net positive on our economical trade agreements

djkimothy

So how badly is Trump going to fuck up our economy?

You can start with NAFTA. That supply chain that took years to establish? If he decides to rip it up than tarrifs go back up and the cost of goods goes up.

I don't know how these agreements are made but NAFTA would be useless without the US. A free trade deal with Mexico alone is not going to cut it. Again, CETA may temper that shock long term, but short term you will see markets fall as its doing right now.

I'm off to bed. This is over.

As a Canadian whose so deeply involved in US Politics, it just fucking hurts to see them go down like this. Let's hope, at best, Trump is just another dumb Harper.

But he's gonna leave a lot of permanent damage in the US. No more ACA, same-sex marriage, and a republican SCOTUS for decades.

djkimothy

As a Canadian whose so deeply involved in US Politics, it just fucking hurts to see them go down like this. Let's hope, at best, Trump is just another dumb Harper.

But he's gonna leave a lot of permanent damage in the US. No more ACA, same-sex marriage, and a republican SCOTUS for decades.

With Nuclear Codes! He is commander and Chief of the most powerful military in the world in history.

What happens to NATO now? Are Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia fucked?

I was to young to pay real attention, but how were the Bush years for us, as a country?

Shaky as we didn't join them in their Iraq war. It was cordial but this is on a different level. Trump is president. That opens up pandora's box of fuckary for the world.

Well, you don't have to worry there. Contrary to right wing memes about a War on Coal, the reason coal power is shutting down isn't the EPA, it's because cheap shale gas has made them totally economically unnecessary. Nobody will be looking to build new coal plants.

Ok so I'll get China level Air Quality instead.

Evening Musuko

Black Korea

Outsider's (American) perspective: Harper was a bad hombre, but the dude didn't turn the Tories into an outwardly racist party. Trump's influence, even if he loses, will be felt for a very long time. He legitimized his views as electable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom