• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian PoliGAF - 42nd Parliament: Sunny Ways in Trudeaupia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Canada is accepting immigrants, right? I think that I might join you now that Trump has a higher chance of winning presidency (especially as a African-American).

Yeah but your odds as an American are surprisingly poor. Best option is to be a skilled worker + apply for and get a job before coming here.

We are screwed even if Hillary wins. The loyal lackey status that Canada turned itself into for America has made us ripe for exploitation.

Not at all. One of the big boons of the Obama-Trudeau overlap was finally some potential of standardized policy in NA ie. climate change, science research etc. Hillary would have been much of the same.

Trump has the potential to erase all of that. Look at his potential cabinet...it's honestly worse than Bush's crew of neocons in 2000.

gabbo

Canada is accepting immigrants, right? I think that I might join you now that Trump has a higher chance of winning presidency.

It sucks for minorities like me (I happen to be black/African-American).

If you're not swimming in money and can come through as a worker/start a business that hires Canadians, you're better off staying put and waiting for Trump to be impeached or whatever happens when a President-elect is convicted of child molestation/sexual assault

A) What's the over under on non-garbage US citizens making their way here?
B) Are we boned cause our big brother decided to eat a few pots' worth of meth today? Or will this be a boon to us somehow?

Agreed on needing additional safeguards so that people know this shit isn't welcome here.

If you're not swimming in money and can come through as a worker/start a business that hires Canadians, you're better off staying put and waiting for Trump to be impeached or whatever happens when a President-elect is convicted of child molestation/sexual assault

tbh I think Mike Pence is even worse than Trump

Vibranium

Banned
Well...the US events are scary, but I will remain true to who am I am to others, and keep valuing kindness. If Lisa Raitt wins the Conservative race, I hope she stands strong for women and LGBT rights. And well, the majority got what they wanted, I'm sure they're really happy.

Kinsei

Banned
A) What's the over under on non-garbage US citizens making their way here?
B) Are we boned cause our big brother decided to eat a few pots' worth of meth today? Or will this be a boon to us somehow?

Agreed on needing additional safeguards so that people know this shit isn't welcome here.

A) No one will move here.
B) It's up in the air. I am worried though.

joe2187

Banned
So...Red Dawn was a prophecy right?

QXzzN.gif

#WOLVERINES2016

So real predictions for the next few months:

Stock market crash
Oil price crash
USD crash
CAD even worse crash due to oil (ugh)

(Trump gets inaugurated)

NAFTA gone
TPP dead
Paris agreement in shambles (but maybe India and China will somehow still save the day eventually???)
Putin invades Ukraine or a Baltic state, Trump just lets him
South Korea starts nuclear program

(6 months to a year later)

Trump impeachment begins, President Pence?

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?

Stock market crash
Oil price crash
USD crash

(Trump gets inaugurated)

NAFTA gone
TPP dead
Paris agreement in shambles (but maybe India and China will somehow still save the day eventually???)

Just as keikaku.

Evening Musuko

Black Korea
A) No one will move here.
B) It's up in the air. I am worried though.

If my dad can move to the US with limited English knowledge and live a good life, then I have at least a shot in Canada with my fluent English and shitty French.

Oh and I can make some mean ass Mexican food. All my Canadian internet friends told me I can stay with them if I just make them some tacos.

Sera O

Banned
Canada rejected that last year. Thankfully there aren't vast swathes of Canada that are filled with racist rednecks. PR does need to happen ASAP

Yeah I really hope so. The thing about this being so prevalent in public discourse and seeing such success is it can remove inhibitions, and at worst, mobilize people who didn't think they could have political clout.

I read a while back about the soldiers of Odin appearing to patrol in Edmonton or whatever. I am concerned that more of that shit will emerge from the woodwork.

I am in bc so it's hard to imagine that being too successful around me but I wouldn't have thought this us election could shake out this way either.

I imagine the relations between Trudeau and Trump are gunna be rocky unless our PM is more business then principle (which he might be). Diefenbaker repeat I guess. itll be interesting none the less

Was planning on moving back to Canada in 3 months. I think I'll wait a while longer to see if the £ rebounds against the Cdn$ based on the US results and make it worth my while.

Leicester wins EPL.
Cavs win.
Brexit.
Cubs win.
Trump wins.

Glad I'm not a betting man.

Pedrito

I'm truely speachless. I haven't felt like this since 9/11.

Not only Trump will be president, but it legitimizes the demagogy, populism, the alt-right trolls, the batshit insane right-wing pundits, the idiot/racist supporters, russian meddling, etc.

This freaking wind of populism is getting more and more destructive. France is likely next.

Mr.Mike

Stock market crash
Oil price crash
USD crash

(Trump gets inaugurated)

NAFTA gone
TPP dead

I hope Europe bands together. The EU is far richer and bigger than Russia, really, and they do have nukes. Perhaps this will be the impetus for the creation of a European Army. The rest of the stuff does seems pretty likely, although I get the impression that China is legit with their efforts to reduce emissions.

Trump will die of a sudden heart attack shortly after a tweet storm against some foreign leader during which nukes were mentioned.

I'm truely speachless. I haven't felt like this since 9/11.

Not only Trump will be president, but it legitimizes the demagogy, populism, the alt-right trolls, the batshit insane right-wing pundits, the idiot/racist supporters, russian meddling, etc.

This freaking wind of populism is getting more and more destructive. France is likely next.

he makes Dubya look like FDR

Trump will be a terrible President, he NEVER served the public in his 70 years of life. Trump only cares about Trump.

Impeaching him is no better because Mike Pence is ideologically a social conservative Evangelical religious nutjob.

Singing CETA was the best thing Trudeau has done so far; if Trump wants to tear up NAFTA then fuck him, we will partner up with the EU instead.

It is sad that Trump will tear up the Paris Accord while his asshole sons continue to kill endangered animals on safari hunts.

Hillary Clinton fought for Universal Healthcare in 1993 when she was 1st lady (Congress rejected it).

Canada is going to be witness for the 3 next years until our own election in 2019.

Thank God our next election is three years out so we don't have to be part of these 2016 chain of events of fucktards

Anyway, Vladimir Putin would have invaded Eastern Europe by then, We are fucked

Deadbeat

Banned
I kind of wish Sun media still existed to see what dumb shit they would be airing. They dont have their channel anymore, right?

Pedrito

CBC is in open denial. Everybody on the livestreams are openly dumbfounded. All the reporters are speechless.

It's hard to understand why someone would willingly turn back the clock 25 years.

I sure hope the Trump voters enjoy their little victory over "the establishment" today because their manufacturing job isn't coming back and their life sure ain't improving.

I think at the end of the day, demographics will end the Trump presidency in 2 and 4 years. A lot of progress will be destroyed by then, but the US will realize that it's the laughing stock of the world once again and people will finally open their eyes.

It's hard to understand why someone would willingly turn back the clock 25 years.

I sure hope the Trump voters enjoy their little victory over "the establishment" today because their manufacturing job isn't coming back and their life sure ain't improving.

I truly, honestly do feel bad for some of my friends down in the USA. I'm not even American (although my Grandmother and Father by proxy are) and it just hurts watching this. The progressive agenda in the USA is dead, and 4 years from now the country will be in a worse place for this.

Mr.Mike

I just want that guy on Facebook I got into an argument with to finally reply with an example of something that was in Hillary's emails that is worse or at all nearly as bad as calling for ethnic cleansing and crimes against humanity.

Also I'd like to know why random kids in Canada are supporting Trump.

Pedrito

I just want that guy on Facebook I got into an argument with to finally reply with an example of something that was in Hillary's emails that is worse or at all nearly as bad as calling for ethnic cleansing and crimes against humanity.

Also I'd like to know why random kids in Canada are supporting Trump.

Because "ethics in gaming journalism".

Not even joking. It probably started there and he went down the rabbit hole.

Mr.Mike

Because "ethics in gaming journalism".

Not even joking. It probably started there and he went down the rabbit hole.

There was also an instance where I tried to explain why the FBI was able to check 650,000 emails, and in saying that many of the emails wouldn't be relevant to the investigation anyway I made a joke about how most of the emails were probably just pictures of Anthony Weiner's penis being sent around, but I suppose they'd never heard of Carlos fuckin' Danger. So we've got these kids who are completely unaware of like, anything, about US politics being Trump stans. (Not that Anthony Weiner's scandals are some critical civic knowledge or anything, but you'd think they'd have at least heard of that.)

Azzanadra

The words in the late Jack Layton's final letter have never been for consoling: "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world.".

Slime

Banned
Lame
message from Trudeau:

“On behalf of the Government of Canada, I would like to congratulate Donald J. Trump on his election as the next President of the United States.

“Canada has no closer friend, partner, and ally than the United States. We look forward to working very closely with President-elect Trump, his administration, and with the United States Congress in the years ahead, including on issues such as trade, investment, and international peace and security.

“The relationship between our two countries serves as a model for the world. Our shared values, deep cultural ties, and strong integrated economies will continue to provide the basis for advancing our strong and prosperous partnership.”

lupinko

Lame
message from Trudeau:

“On behalf of the Government of Canada, I would like to congratulate Donald J. Trump on his election as the next President of the United States.

“Canada has no closer friend, partner, and ally than the United States. We look forward to working very closely with President-elect Trump, his administration, and with the United States Congress in the years ahead, including on issues such as trade, investment, and international peace and security.

“The relationship between our two countries serves as a model for the world. Our shared values, deep cultural ties, and strong integrated economies will continue to provide the basis for advancing our strong and prosperous partnership.”

This will be a business as usual relationship yet again, sigh, I really liked Obama and Trudeau, and Hillary would have just continued that and brought back the chumminess of Bill and Jean.

With regards to random Canadian uninformed youth supporting Trump, I also saw one of my friends from back home who is super progressive playing the "oh well it doesn't matter because Hillary is also bad anyway, should've went Bernie card."

While the Democrats and HRC's hubris played a role in their defeat, I'm appalled by his smugness and preachy attitude, but said friend isn't a minority or female or lgbtq or Muslim. I fear for my friends in the US as a result. This isn't like 2000, Dubbya wasn't anything like this.

KorrZ

Lame
message from Trudeau:

What else is he going to say? USA is our single most important foreign relationship. He can't come out swinging at the person who's going to be in charge for the next 4 years.

I fear for our American brothers and sisters. I'm grateful that here in Canada at least we haven't fallen off the deep end yet. We need to keep Trudeau in power to ride out the shit storm the US is about to become.

pr0cs

I'm excited to see how prime minister Skippy and Trump get along. I have no doubt that Trump will eat him for breakfast since Skippy bumbles around most non rehearsed discussions

Pedrito

I'm excited to see how prime minister Skippy and Trump get along. I have no doubt that Trump will eat him for breakfast since Skippy bumbles around most non rehearsed discussions

Well they have that in common so they might hit if off!

In other news, Kellie Leitch is thrilled by Trump's win over the "elites".

What else is he going to say? USA is our single most important foreign relationship. He can't come out swinging at the person who's going to be in charge for the next 4 years.

I fear for our American brothers and sisters. I'm grateful that here in Canada at least we haven't fallen off the deep end yet. We need to keep Trudeau in power to ride out the shit storm the US is about to become.

Exactly this. I'm sure he's incredibly disappointed about the outcome, but he can't outright say anything negative about him winning publicly. That would do absolutely nothing but harm the relationship between the two countries.

I'm more happy than ever we have Trudeau and the Liberals in power right now. I just hope they can continue to do good things and continue to lead this country for a long, long time because right wing conservative and alt-right extremist politics are starting to gain a lot of momentum, sadly. There is nothing inherently wrong with some more centrist conservative principles, but it's been so perverted in the recent years that it's become a danger. We can't regress or become the U.S... My biggest concern is that Trump and Republicans sweeping everything yesterday will empower the conservatives here to move further to the right to try and pull the same thing here. Ugh.

I feel terrible for our neighbors in the U.S who will have to go through this. It's gonna effect everyone, but I feel especially horrible for the minorities who will the brunt of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom