• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian PoliGAF - 42nd Parliament: Sunny Ways in Trudeaupia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean C

Trump will have a huge influence on Canada. Hopefully Canadians will resist a right wing surge in the next election.
The next election isn't until 2019. Trump will have thoroughly fucked up the US by that point, so I wouldn't be worried about him causing a right-wing surge.

And frankly, there's really not much precedent for that. The last time we had a Republican president, he was a negative for Canadian conservatives, who tried to avoid being associated with him (which is why the Liberals always tried to conflate the Conservatives and the Republicans).

maharg

idspispopd
So. Time to worry about that American political tail that tends to wag up here after a few years. Expect a populist white alienation candidate to rise up.

Sean C

So. Time to worry about that American political tail that tends to wag up here after a few years.
That's really not a thing. The last two changes of government in Canada had nothing to do with an "American political tail"; Harper was in charge for, what, almost seven years after Obama was elected president? He even won his biggest victory after that. The Liberals were on course for a record-breaking win when Martin assumed power in 2004, before the Sponsorship Scandal hit. Harper's 2006 win was a result of domestic factors, not Bush, who was by that point in deep political eclipse at home.

Trump will have a huge influence on Canada. Hopefully Canadians will resist a right wing surge in the next election.
The immigration thing has already started. Even on fairly liberal websites where the comments are generally pro-Trudeau and anti-Trump, the same commenters are generally anti-immigration, anti-global trade (e.g. TPP), etc. So the whole anti-globalist/protectionist theme is definitely occurring here, too. Most of the opposition I've anecdotally heard to Trudeau is purely on immigration... the budget stuff, even the carbon taxing or environmental regulation... some opposition but generally taking a wait and see a little bit. It's really just immigration that I hear or see the most blatant is anti-immigration.

I think it comes down to jobs though... if the job market improves, it'll be fine. But jobs numbers, especially sans B.C., have not been great, and most of his economic policies (whether they're good or bad) are more long term so it's hard to say if he's going to create any short term jobs boost.

Then in Trump starts messing with NAFTA... that's just going to have an immediate effect on jumps and then promote Trump-style anti-immigration sentiment here.

That, if the US economy runs into trouble, it could actually stymie the anti-immigration sentiment here by showing that it failed to improve the US economy.

At the same time, if Trump does tax more imports from countries like China, those countries may begin to trade more in Canada. You could see more investment in Canada, more acquisitions or expansions (or trade in general) switch from US to Canada. More skilled immigration (regardless of their negative sentiment growing against it) could also benefit the economy.

It'll be interesting to see what he does with NAFTA though because despite general NAFTA opposition, he's also expressed some positive support for Canadian trade -- namely oil. Could be good for Alberta, bad for Ontario....

BC being the wild card with softwood lumber currently being negotiated but I'm not sure if Trump will really get protectionist on lumber because while US mills dislike Canadian lumber, US builders like our cheaper wood. And Trump could favour US builders to make sure real estate doesn't crash from inflating lumber prices (because cheap Canadian lumber exits the market). Probably also good for film/tech/entertainment in VAN, TO, MTL... more firms, more skilled immigration, etc.

In some ways, Trump could fuel some of the anti-immigration sentiment occurring in Canada but he could also directly benefit a lot of specific Canadian sectors and even Trudeau policies, and in general just make Canada a more appealing destination or partner for trade, investment, immigration, etc.

Robby322

I am just so depressed and angry at what just happened in the US Elections right now. Living in Toronto, can anyone help lift me up from not thinking this is the end of the world right now? Is everything going to be alright?

I feel like throwing up.

I mean, I'll be fine. I'm a white male "old stock" Canadian. I'm not in the US, I'm well off, I live in a cold city that worst case scenario gets a bit more pleasant with the worst global warming. Even if this sentiment hits here, I'll be fine. The biggest panic moment was getting my RRSP money out of stocks ASAP.

But... man. How the fuck is this even possible.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I see this as the death knell (barring some technological advancement) for the fight against global warming.

At this rate, I don't think I'm going to have kids, I don't think I want them to grow up experiencing that.

I am REAL thankful that I live in Canada though

djkimothy

I feel like throwing up.

I mean, I'll be fine. I'm a white male "old stock" Canadian. I'm not in the US, I'm well off, I live in a cold city that worst case scenario gets a bit more pleasant with the worst global warming. Even if this sentiment hits here, I'll be fine. The biggest panic moment was getting my RRSP money out of stocks ASAP.

But... man. How the fuck is this even possible.

Yah, most of my savings are tied to North American markets, this will be a rough ride.

I wonder if the BoC will have to adjust their monetary policy again to absorb the economic shocks.

Dr.Acula

Banned
I think Canada has a bit of a bent against American influence politically. I predict a stiffening in the left of Canada in opposition of Trump.

Guys, promise me if some hate-fueled Trump-like runs up here, we'll all go vote, right? I'll be there on whatever front lines I can to fight anyone who tries to spread that kind of fear and hate up here.

This is so depressing.

SRG01

60cent dollar is coming bro.

Nah, USD will tumble extremely fast as markets are tanking. I'm thinking 85c in the short to mid-term.

However, if Trump engages in protectionist activities, then we can see the CAD-USD exchange get to 65c levels.

Guys, promise me if some hate-fueled Trump-like runs up here, we'll all go vote, right? I'll be there on whatever front lines I can to fight anyone who tries to spread that kind of fear and hate up here.

This is so depressing.

TBH, Ontario and Alberta are ripe grounds for this kind of populist sentiment.

Kinsei

Banned

This is so depressing.

I'll do my part. I already planned to vote in every election until I die, but this and Brexit have made doubly sure that I'll follow through on that.

Sibylus

Banned

This is so depressing.

You've my word. We need to pass PR ASAP.

Lebon14

Nah, USD will tumble extremely fast as markets are tanking. I'm thinking 85c in the short to mid-term.

However, if Trump engages in protectionist activities, then we can see the CAD-USD exchange get to 65c levels.

TBH, Ontario and Alberta are ripe grounds for this kind of populist sentiment.

I hope you are right. Because I'm somebody that buys A LOT outside of Canada and mainly in US$. :\

F-you Trump. You started up as a joke but came through. Really? I can't beleive how the US is so racist.

This is so depressing.

Of course. You have my words to vote against hate-filled politicians.

Flare

The UK and the US have fallen. I think it is an inevitability that Canada will have to deal with the shit (again)
The"alt-right" sentiment so to speak has been bleeding through for a while now. I see the same shit plastered in /r/Canada and elsewhere that I hear about from in the GTA, prairies or anywhere.

We'll have to deal with this shit eventually, I just hope we can overcome it rather than succumb to it. Really don't want a right wing politician who preys and thrives on fear, hate, and division.

Sean C

You've my word. We need to pass PR ASAP.
Again, remember when the CPC and the PQ dabbled in this kind of nativism and it got them nowhere?

Hell, the most controversial immigration thing was the Syrian refugees, which Trudeau went ahead with and ultimately won over the public on, after all the ridiculous fears proved unwarranted.

Sera O

Banned
This is a sad night. I really hope Canada can resist the worldwide trend towards crazy right wing sentiment. It's heartbreaking.

Electoral reform has to happen fast.

This is a sad night. I really hope Canada can resist the worldwide trend towards crazy right wing sentiment. It's heartbreaking.

Electoral reform has to happen fast.

Canada rejected that last year. Thankfully there aren't vast swathes of Canada that are filled with racist rednecks. PR does need to happen ASAP

Sibylus

Banned
Again, remember when the CPC and the PQ dabbled in this kind of nativism and it got them nowhere?

Hell, the most controversial immigration thing was the Syrian refugees, which Trudeau went ahead with and ultimately won over the public on, after all the ridiculous fears proved unwarranted.

We're not as noble as we think we are, and we're not as staunchly pluralistic as we think we are either. We need additional safeguards.

Mr.Mike

The"alt-right" sentiment so to speak has been bleeding through for a while now. I see the same shit plastered in /r/Canada and elsewhere that I hear about from in the GTA, prairies or anywhere.

We'll have to deal with this shit eventually, I just hope we can overcome it rather than succumb to it. Really don't want a right wing politician who preys and thrives on fear, hate, and division.

r/Canada has definitely become a racist shithole. I just don't know what there is to be done.

60cent dollar is coming bro.
USD is going to get hit hard too though... but if this did happen, it's not going to be terrible for all facets of the economy. Bad for consumers (which probably need some cold water because of how overleveraged CND consumers are) but good for a lot of trade/investment. 60c dollar would likely surge tech/entertainment/film investment... and if Trump does eff with NAFTA/softwood lumber, a 60c dollar would probably be the one saving grace for Canadian lumber. It could spur more China buying of Canadian lumber too (which has been declining a year or so IIRC) and maybe even more firms opting for oil or LNG in CAN than US. So it'll suck for consumer spending but it could be good for long term health of economy.

Sean C

We're not as noble as we think we are, and we're not as staunchly pluralistic as we think we are either.
I don't harbour illusions that Canadians are without blemish (any message board where First Nations issues come up should disabuse people of that notion). But you cannot treat countries as if they have identical political climates. Trump's rise is very much about illegal Hispanic immigration and the near decade-long freakout that much of America has been having about the election of Obama. There's nothing remotely equivalent to that in our politics.

And also, frankly, our political parties are very different from American parties. Trump would never have won the nomination if the Republican Party had the kind of institutional control that the Conservative Party has over leadership contests.

Sibylus

Banned
I don't harbour illusions that Canadians are without blemish (any message board where First Nations issues come up should disabuse people of that notion). But you cannot treat countries as if they have identical political climates. Trump's rise is very much about illegal Hispanic immigration and the near decade-long freakout that much of America has been having about the election of Obama. There's nothing remotely equivalent to that in our politics.

And also, frankly, our political parties are very different from American parties. Trump would never have won the nomination if the Republican Party had the kind of institutional control that the Conservative Party has over leadership contests.

I don't mean to suggest they are carbon copies, merely that we have the building blocks for our own insurgent nativism in Canada... and that we should think long and hard about making additional protections against it for our future. Take tonight as a warning: it can surge up beyond even the best means for measuring it. All the data anyone gathered failed to see this coming.

SRG01

Didn't Trump win the nomination because the Republicans moved away from a delegated convention to a OPOV system?

Sean C

Didn't Trump win the nomination because the Republicans moved away from a delegated convention to a OPOV system?
Trump won the nomination for various reasons, but, just for starters, there was absolutely nothing the Republican Party could do to deny him ballot access in the primaries if he paid the fees and got the right number of signatures to qualify. Canadian political parties screen anyone who wants to run for them.

SRG01

Trump won the nomination for various reasons, but, just for starters, there was absolutely nothing the Republican Party could do to deny him ballot access in the primaries if he paid the fees and got the right number of signatures to qualify. Canadian political parties screen anyone who wants to run for them.

Yes, that is very true.

Canada is accepting immigrants, right? I think that I might join you now that Trump has a higher chance of winning presidency.

It sucks for minorities like me (I happen to be Black/African-American).

orochi91

r/Canada has definitely become a racist shithole. I just don't know what there is to be done.

I feel that once the Liberals won their majority, regular Liberal posters just stopped posting much; they are content, their main guy won.

Now all the angst-ridden Conservative folks are venting on r/Canada, similar to how the Liberal/NDP posters were venting during the Harper years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom