• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian PoliGAF - 42nd Parliament: Sunny Ways in Trudeaupia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really? I think Raitt has a pretty good shot at winning. She won't be at the top of their first ballot -- I'm predicting right now it'll be either Leitch or Bernier, just based on the fundraising totals so far -- but she'll do better at drawing second-choice support than anyone else. Her main competition here is Scheer (a Harper-esque so-con, which means he's able to mask vile beliefs with blandness) and Erin O'Toole (who seems oddly beloved by CPC partisans because veterans, or something).

Well, in terms of GDP USA is ranked #1 with 18,561,930 Millions and the EU is ranked #2 with 16,518,723 Millions.

So basically, if we can get CETA ratified, and the USA pulls out of NAFTA... we are swapping one Major World Economy for another Major World Economy which are separated by only a couple percentage points. Short term it would be painful because we would need to give our businesses time to swap all of our business deals for the EU equivalent ones, but in the long term it would end up like the situation we are in now

This is just incorrect and based on completely misguided assumptions. You can't swap out one trading partner for another. Last year, we did $2.5B in trade with the U.S. *every day* (the number is about 2x higher if you add in investments). Canada-EU trade last year was $93B for the whole year -- in other words, equal to about one month of the US-Canada trade relationship. Even with CETA, there's no way that we're suddenly going to increase trade with the EU tenfold. Shipping across an ocean is a whole lot harder than simply driving across a border. As terrifying as the prospect of a Trump-led US may be, the idea of the US-Canada trade relationship diminishing in any way should terrify you way, way more.

You know, we've been talking a lot about the potential Conservative Party leadership (and rightfully so given how concerning it is that they seem to be pulling the CPC further to the right), as have a number of pundits, but not about the NDP leadership. Why not? Is the prospect of, say, Olivia Chow not as interesting as Maxime Bernier? Or is the fear of the right returning to power so soon more frightening given the current conservative climate of candidates?

The list of CPC leadership candidates includes (but is not limited to, since a few people have said they're interested but haven't formally filed): Chris Alexander, Maxime Bernier, Steven Blaney, Michael Chong, Kellie Leitch, Dan Lindsay, Deepak Obhrai, Erin O'Toole, Lisa Raitt, Andrew Saxton, Andrew Scheer, and Brad Trost

The list of NDP leadership candidates: *tumbleweeds*

Peter Julian quit his job as House Leader to explore a leadership run, and that's the extent of the NDP race so far, unless you want to count Cheri Dinovo being in then out then in then out. Niki Ashton and Charlie Angus are probably going to run as well, based on everything they've said. Jagmeet Singh is apparently debating whether he wants to jump to the federal level, or just wait until Andrea Horwath gets wiped out in the next Ontario election and then go for the ONDP leadership. It'd make sense to jump in before the end of year to get two calendar years for fundraising instead of just one, but no one wants to do it.

Basically, even though the party is floundering (less than $1m raised last quarter, and I'm told they still have more than $5m in debt from the last election), no one wants to be seen as too eager -- partly because, as maharg said, they have an aversion to long, expensive campaigns; partly because there were no leaders-in-waiting actively organizing against Mulcair and ready to step in and take over; and partly because of Mulcair himself. As long as he's leader, putting your name forward means that it'll cause some tension, as every decision Mulcair makes will get run by leadership candidates in the hopes that they can manufacture some "NDP caucus dissent!" headlines.

The CPC leadership race is getting more headlines because there's an actual race with actual policy debates happening (plus being the Official Opposition doesn't hurt).

She seems like a good potential candidate, but i'd bet more on Elizabeth Warren running. Only problem is her becoming president would result in a Democratic seat lost and possibly replaced with a Republican one.

It's not my country or my country's politics, and I love Elizabeth Warren) but it'd be nice if the Democrats could run someone who isn't 70+ (which is what Warren will be come 2020). Personally, I'm putting my cross-border hopes in Kamala Harris.

so who does Canada GAF think it he most ''normal'' Conservative candidate?

So when does your perma-ban start? I was hoping there'd at least be that silver lining to a Trump win.

Leeness

Buy a membership to the Conservative Party of Canada, donate and support whomever is the alternative to Leitch with the most support.

Interesting approach lol

Call, Email, Write a Letter, Visit your MP, whatever and tell your MP we NEED Electoral Reform to prevent our country from turning into the hellhole that is the America under FPTP

Aside from this, there is absolutely nothing else you can do except volunteering and becoming a paying member for your party of choice

My MP is a conservative though 😭

I will volunteer though and make sure to educate people...

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
The problem is spreading. My Fiancee teaches at a very inclusive school in Canada, the white kids aren't a majority but it is mixed with culture, religion etc. Every cycle however another school comes in because they don't have a home economics class in their school. This school is predominantly white. The day after the election 4 boys and 1 girl from that outside school went up to a student who actually goes to my fiancee's school, she is muslim, and the kids start teasing and bugging her saying trump is going to deport her and her family. This is in CANADA mind you. The little girl breaks down crying and now is afraid she will be deported from Canada and is afraid to come to school now.

gabbo

Lmao, what the hell does this even mean?

Edit: oh, pinko is slang for a Liberal. What a weird sentence.

Pinko is slang for Communist sympathizer

I really hope that this shit doesn't spread beyond what it already is here. To deny it exists is a lie, I've seen it my own family, and it's horrifying and disgusting.

mo60

So...what is the best way that I, as someone who lives out in BC, do to make sure our next election doesn't go this way?

Tell me what to do :(

If you are talking about the BC provincial election I'm not sure but I highly doubt the provincial government will be using similar rhetoric to trump in the next electiom. If you are talking about federally the conservatives adopting trump's winning election strategy will just kill them. We saw an example of this in the last federal election.

So there's been a lot of talk about how the alt-right took England and America by appealing to the disenfranchisement of working class whites and rural whites.

For you guys here who live in small towns, do you sense that feeling of white anger and frustration and do you think a Trump-style candidate with a forceful personality and charisma would be able to exploit it? It's an honest question because I don't know.

I used to think it was just a bunch of weirdos on the internet (r/Canada) but with the election of the 4chan President, I'm a bit more vigilant now. My only experiences with small towns and rural Canada are places like Guelph and really all I got out of that is that there's a lot of people who really enjoy junior hockey.

gabbo

So there's been a lot of talk about how the alt-right took England and America by appealing to the disenfranchisement of working class whites and rural whites.

For you guys here who live in small towns, do you sense that feeling of white anger and frustration and do you think a Trump-style candidate with a forceful personality and charisma would be able to exploit it? It's an honest question because I don't know.

I used to think it was just a bunch of weirdos on the internet (r/Canada) but with the election of the 4chan President, I'm a bit more vigilant now. My only experiences with small towns and rural Canada are places like Guelph and really all I got out of that is that there's a lot of people who really enjoy junior hockey.

There are places where such a candidate would pick up support. My hometown in rural Southern Ontario, now that big tobacco has basically left and parts of town are empty would probably go for such empty promises (Delhi, Ont). And that's after a Toyota parts plant came in and brought lots of jobs. Farmers always seem to vote against their self interest

lupinko

lol

One of my American acquaintances who happens to be a republican got salty when I said that my Japanese coworkers basically called Trump's win the society of the world is going to hell and that I am more than worried now than ever for my American friends' safety who are minorities.

Said acquaintance is also a minority but he's a fuck you I got mine person, I don't have anything against that but I'm not for it.

I'm only going to primarily concern myself with Canada and Japan at this point. The extra days has helped me think passed it, and since I'm not a citizen of their country, this is for Americans to figure out and deal with, regardless if their shit affects the world, sadly.

Azih

So...what is the best way that I, as someone who lives out in BC, do to make sure our next election doesn't go this way?

Don't accept black people jokes or insinuations that Muslims are terrorists or that Jews run the world in your social circles. Call that shit out. What riding are you in?

djkimothy

so who does Canada GAF think it he most ''normal'' Conservative candidate?

so far, Michael Chong seems to be the most level headed.

But I still find Max to be the funniest for all the wrong reasons

Leitch is the worst

As much as I think Leitch's immigration policy is trash. i hope she wins so we can just vote her down and continue the Trudeau train.

maharg

idspispopd
As much as I think Leitch's immigration policy is trash. i hope she wins so we can just vote her down and continue the Trudeau train.

There were a lot of people (me included) who thought Trump winning the primaries guaranteed the Republicans would lose the election.

This is provably a bad strategy. Don't get complacent about this.

There are places where such a candidate would pick up support. My hometown in rural Southern Ontario, now that big tobacco has basically left and parts of town are empty would probably go for such empty promises (Delhi, Ont). And that's after a Toyota parts plant came in and brought lots of jobs. Farmers always seem to vote against their self interest

You know, with marijuana legislation coming down the pipe in spring, do you think places like that can recover?

I think honestly, it's a grassroots problem. Like I said earlier, Trump and Brexit were able to gain traction among poor and working class disenfranchised whites. These are people who may not be racists, hell if you're in rural Canada you might not have ever seen a non-white person in your life but they may vote for a racist candidate if other parts of his message resonates with them. I'm not sure how you solve that because I don't know what it is we can do to bring back manufacturing, fishing and farming back to Canada.

Liberals need to ram through electoral reform. I care about it happening more than I care about what type of electoral reform it is.

Part of the reason America elected trump is due to innate structural biases in their electoral system that favors conservatives. FPTP favors conservatism in canada currently. It may be a bit simplistic but let's get that shit out of there.

Leeness

If you are talking about the BC provincial election I'm not sure but I highly doubt the provincial government will be using similar rhetoric to trump in the next electiom. If you are talking about federally the conservatives adopting trump's winning election strategy will just kill them. We saw an example of this in the last federal election.

Both really. I'm pretty new at politics (didn't vote for ages because of Harper basically...haha, I know), so I'm wanting to get more into Canadian politics now and vote whenever I am able to ensure that what's happening in other places doesn't happen here.

Don't accept black people jokes or insinuations that Muslims are terrorists or that Jews run the world in your social circles. Call that shit out. What riding are you in?

I luckily don't associate with anyone like that (generally).

South Surrey/White Rock. Diane Watts is our MP. I got everyone I knew to vote against her but SS/WR is where every old person ever comes to retire in the lower mainland lol. Hard to overcome that.

I think honestly, it's a grassroots problem. Like I said earlier, Trump and Brexit were able to gain traction among poor and working class disenfranchised whites. These are people who may not be racists, hell if you're in rural Canada you might not have ever seen a non-white person in your life but they may vote for a racist candidate if other parts of his message resonates with them. I'm not sure how you solve that because I don't know what it is we can do to bring back manufacturing, fishing and farming back to Canada.

I mean...Trudeau's "positivity" message really resonated last year, so that makes me hopeful, but once his term is up and change hasn't happened fast enough (as is usually the case).... 😩

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I have a couple of family members who post Anti Trudeau stuff, mainly just shitty image macros that sometimes have spelling mistakes in them, but mostly I see a lot of hate for Kathleen Wynn from almost my entire family/group of friends, and that stuff could seep into a general hatred of the Federal Liberal party.

Want to stop Trumpism/Fordism from taking root here? Get involved with parties and NGOs at the local level. What the Republicans have done really well in the U.S. is build a farm system of legislators, so that they're always focused on the next generation and the next fight. They've managed to whittle away voting rights and unions and all kinds of other "liberal" things by chipping away at them at the municipal and state levels. There's not a 1:1 ratio here, since provincial and federal jurisdictions are delineated differently, but there's still a similar principle. The Liberals' groundwork for last year's election started in 2012, when they started picking candidates and building teams to go knock on doors and start conversations. They'll probably start organizing for the next election soon, if they haven't already, and I can guarantee that the Conservatives will be starting their organizing and door-knocking and data-building in May 2017, the moment a new leader is chosen. Too many people think campaigns are just the writ period, but conservatives know that it's not, and if you want to stop them you need to think that way too.

Liberals need to ram through electoral reform. I care about it happening more than I care about what type of electoral reform it is.

Part of the reason America elected trump is due to innate structural biases in their electoral system that favors conservatives. FPTP favors conservatism in canada currently. It may be a bit simplistic but let's get that shit out of there.

Not directed at you but: I love how the key to stopping [current big issue] just so happens to be certain people's pet issue. It's a crazy coincidence!

CazTGG

"Trump'll never win, Hillary/Bernie will destroy him in the election. Just look at the polls!"

Yeah, how about we don't take that risk?

diaspora

Both really. I'm pretty new at politics (didn't vote for ages because of Harper basically...haha, I know), so I'm wanting to get more into Canadian politics now and vote whenever I am able to ensure that what's happening in other places doesn't happen here.

I luckily don't associate with anyone like that (generally).

South Surrey/White Rock. Diane Watts is our MP. I got everyone I knew to vote against her but SS/WR is where every old person ever comes to retire in the lower mainland lol. Hard to overcome that.

I mean...Trudeau's "positivity" message really resonated last year, so that makes me hopeful, but once his term is up and change hasn't happened fast enough (as is usually the case).... ��

I wasn't really screwing around. You can literally pay $15 for a Tory membership and vote for a Tory candidate you think best challenges Leitch. You don't have to like conservatives or conservatism, but you can take out a membership and vote/donate for the candidate you think you be the best alternative to the wannabe-Trump Leitch.

Edit: As for Trudeau, I was critical of him during the leadership race, but he's mostly been fine as far as at least getting his promises in progress or achieving them.

Vamphuntr

At least we have some sort of mechanisms in place to prevent a Trump disaster here. For once most of the trash he said would be considered hate speech here. Our Supreme Court is also more or less independent and impartial.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
At least we have some sort of mechanisms in place to prevent a Trump disaster here. For once most of the trash he said would be considered hate speech here. Our Supreme Court is also more or less independent and impartial.

Hopefully

It's sort of embarrassing that for all the checks and balances the US government supposedly has, they are about to hand over total control to a lunatic.

Hopefully

It's sort of embarrassing that for all the checks and balances the US government supposedly has, they are about to hand over total control to a lunatic.

President doesn't get total control.

He's been openly feuding with Ryan and McConnell. That's not going to change. Ryan has an even smaller window to keep himself as speaker, giving the Ted Cruz-style extremist "freedom caucus" even more power, and don't expect them to agree with Trump either. In the senate there's still the filibuster.

Judiciary is also the third branch and consists of 8 years of Obama appointees at this point.

I'm way more concerned about US foreign policy, as that is one area where the presidency can mostly act unilaterally. I hope his conversation with Obama was mostly re: maintaining the post WW2 status quo. The Paris accord is certainly finished, however.

We actually have way less checks & balances in place should a lunatic be elected prime minister. Mostly the power of judiciary and a very weak senate & GG.

BeesEight

I have a couple of family members who post Anti Trudeau stuff, mainly just shitty image macros that sometimes have spelling mistakes in them, but mostly I see a lot of hate for Kathleen Wynn from almost my entire family/group of friends, and that stuff could seep into a general hatred of the Federal Liberal party.

I only keep hearing criticism of Wynne as well. Course, that's expected with her having one of the lowest premier approval ratings. I do not look forward to the provincial election.

I wasn't really screwing around. You can literally pay $15 for a Tory membership and vote for a Tory candidate you think best challenges Leitch. You don't have to like conservatives or conservatism, but you can take out a membership and vote/donate for the candidate you think you be the best alternative to the wannabe-Trump Leitch.

I was talking to an NDPer friend today who was thinking about doing this, and then this evening I spoke to someone on Lisa Raitt's campaign who said I was the fourth person today he'd spoken to with that kind of story. So anecdotal, but Trump's win may end up energizing the Chong & Raitt campaigns in a way that nothing else could.

I mean, I'm a card-carrying Liberal, and even I'm thinking of doing that now. On the one hand, that's $15 towards party that'll use it to campaign against things I believe in. On the other, stopping homegrown Trumpism is pretty important.

Mr. F

Banned
The problem is spreading. My Fiancee teaches at a very inclusive school in Canada, the white kids aren't a majority but it is mixed with culture, religion etc. Every cycle however another school comes in because they don't have a home economics class in their school. This school is predominantly white. The day after the election 4 boys and 1 girl from that outside school went up to a student who actually goes to my fiancee's school, she is muslim, and the kids start teasing and bugging her saying trump is going to deport her and her family. This is in CANADA mind you. The little girl breaks down crying and now is afraid she will be deported from Canada and is afraid to come to school now.

This shit absolutely kills me. My mom is a grade school teacher and fortunately hasn't mentioned any consequential hateful rhetoric as a result of the election (which is a relief considering she teaches in a small town). I was seeing Canadian smugness around social media after the results, and while I am willing to dismiss it as a knee jerk emotional reaction it's terrifying to think people aren't putting it together that complacency is the last thing we need.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
President doesn't get total control.

He's been openly feuding with Ryan and McConnell. That's not going to change. Ryan has an even smaller window to keep himself as speaker, giving the Ted Cruz-style extremist "freedom caucus" even more power, and don't expect them to agree with Trump either. In the senate there's still the filibuster.

Judiciary is also the third branch and consists of 8 years of Obama appointees at this point.

I'm way more concerned about US foreign policy, as that is one area where the presidency can mostly act unilaterally. I hope his conversation with Obama was mostly re: maintaining the post WW2 status quo. The Paris accord is certainly finished, however.

We actually have way less checks & balances in place should a lunatic be elected prime minister. Mostly the power of judiciary and a very weak senate & GG.

I think the republicans will fall in line since he can wield his hold over this loud angry electorate against them. They'll do what he wants lest they want their base turned against them. The republicans are also going to get rid of the filibuster.

The empty spot on the supreme court is going to be filled by a hard right winger and another one will join it because Ginsberg is not likely to remain there for another four years.

Mr.Sumal

I was talking to an NDPer friend today who was thinking about doing this, and then this evening I spoke to someone on Lisa Raitt's campaign who said I was the fourth person today he'd spoken to with that kind of story. So anecdotal, but Trump's win may end up energizing the Chong & Raitt campaigns in a way that nothing else could.

I mean, I'm a card-carrying Liberal, and even I'm thinking of doing that now. On the one hand, that's $15 towards party that'll use it to campaign against things I believe in. On the other, stopping homegrown Trumpism is pretty important.

Bolded is the reason why I cant bring myself to get a tory membership to stop leitch. Even if leitch wins I don't see how her brand of trumpism can beat trudeau in 2019 since Canadians resoundly rejected Harper's dogwhistling in the last general election. Doubling down on that strategy makes no sense unless they're hoping for an economic downturn in the next few years.

What I fear most is if the CPC membership nominate an harper-esque candidate like Scheer who is palatable to both the PC and Socon wings of the party. He can be really competive in a post FPTP Canada

Weiss

Banned
Ignorant boob here looking to be cheered up.

Can you explain to me like I'm five years old why being Canadian is great right now? Like all the things happening in the States that I take for granted.

I know I probably sound like a smarmy shit but I think I want to understand this.

Apologies but the following isn't really Canadian politics. I don't really want to get into this in the American threads, though; the left wing extremism I keep hearing is starting to bother me.

I think the republicans will fall in line since he can wield his hold over this loud angry electorate against them. They'll do what he wants lest they want their base turned against them. The republicans are also going to get rid of the filibuster.

I'm not so sure about that. Republicans that denounced Trump did well on Tuesday. Trump campaigned against "establishment" and the House is the home of the establishment. Draining the swamp means pissing off a lot of Republican congresspeople.

We'll really have to see how they adjust from being an opposition force to being a governing force. That alone will change their party. All congressional Republicans seem to know how to do for a decade now is obstruct. I don't think that's going to be an easy habit to break.

The Freedom Caucus for one are in super safe seats and want no new spending. Trump wants infrastructure spending. Ryan would compromise, Freedom Caucus would revolt, and you've got a broken party still.

Or what happens when Trump wants to build his wall and McConnell says naw, not happening. Does Trump just try to veto anything coming out of congress until they give up? Cause I don't think he knows how to compromise and tends to throw a fit when anyone doesn't agree with him.

They're partying now but it's two years of infighting and broken promises ahead, followed by hopefully Democrats remembering that there are midterms.

Getting rid of the filibuster can be filibustered. And I don't think Republicans will want that one gone anyway; they'll need it in the future. Democrats will compromise on legislation cause that's what they do, as long as extremists don't take over their party as well.

The empty spot on the supreme court is going to be filled by a hard right winger and another one will join it because Ginsberg is not likely to remain there for another four years.
Ginsburg isn't going anywhere. She's in good health and a strong woman; she's not going to retire. Kennedy is the one to worry about. When Trump puts a Scalia clone in his seat, they'll be back to Kennedy being the balance of power; if he's out then they're in trouble.

Ignorant boob here looking to be cheered up.

Can you explain to me like I'm five years old why being Canadian is great right now? Like all the things happening in the States that I take for granted.

I know I probably sound like a smarmy shit but I think I want to understand this.

Our country is barely ever newsworthy which is a sign were doing things right

Our prime minister has a very intelligent cabinet whether you agree with their views or policy

We have (had) the nicest form of conservatism (red toryism) in the world

mackaveli

Hey,

I'm Canadian and live in Alberta which is the worst cause of all the conservatives. I don't follow Alberta Politics or Canadian politics as much as I should but I vote every time I can either NDP or Liberal which I did last year for Trudeau. I mostly love and follow American politics Clinton losing I'm still shell shocked and know Canada is pretty great already but I am a little worried of what could happen if I don't educate myself in Canadian Politics as I should and if something Like Trump came to be in Canada it would be the worst.

So I just have a couple of questions. I am naive so if some of the questions are stupid I apologize in advance and just want to learn.

I am super left leaning btw.

1. I voted for the NDP government in Alberta whenever that election took place. I am all for government spending and increase in taxes on rich and for the environment. How are the NDP's viewed in Alberta? They got elected right when I believe oil was pretty much going down and then it went down even further.

a) When is the next election for the government here? Is it set in place or it could happen at any moment. (probably a dumb question but I never know when elections take place as it seems they happen whenever and not like the States where it is predetermined).

b) Will the NDP's lose? Alberta is conservative country and it sucks but I hope they have some chance of staying in power. It sucks for them cause they got a shitty hand. But maybe they are awful but I don't want the conservatives back in power.

c) What is going on with the bathroom law in Alberta. Are people really that choked about this issue?

d) Which party has a better chance of taking power next time there are elections in Alberta? NDP, Liberal, PC, or another? I just want to try and read up and follow and know which party to support. And is there a good source of info to read up on and learn? For US politics it's easy to just read off topic or the community thread as there are constant topics posted giving you up to date politics in US. Is there some place similar for Canada?

2. When is the next national election?

a) How is Trudeau doing and I believe the election is far off but does it look good that the Liberals will do well next election as well?

b) Is universal health care always going to stay or will the conservatives try and do things to weaken it?

c) Any social / envirommental and any important issues in Canada that I should be aware of that politicians are currently discussing?

d) I remember Harper had some law or bill or something where a bunch of people where deemed second class citizens even though they were born here. Did that go away? I don't remember it clearing but it was posted on GAF i think and i believe it could maybe apply to me as my parent's weren't born here but I was.

Thanks and sorry if I should know some of the answers to these questions and I don't.

Hey,
I'm Canadian and live in Alberta which is the worst cause of all the conservatives. I don't follow Alberta Politics or Canadian politics as much as I should but I vote every time I can either NDP or Liberal which I did last year for Trudeau. I mostly love and follow American politics Clinton losing I'm still shell shocked and know Canada is pretty great already but I am a little worried of what could happen if I don't educate myself in Canadian Politics as I should and if something Like Trump came to be in Canada it would be the worst.

So I just have a couple of questions. I am naive so if some of the questions are stupid I apologize in advance and just want to learn.

I am super left leaning btw.

1. I voted for the NDP government in Alberta whenever that election took place. I am all for government spending and increase in taxes on rich and for the environment. How are the NDP's viewed in Alberta? They got elected right when I believe oil was pretty much going down and then it went down even further.

a) When is the next election for the government here? Is it set in place or it could happen at any moment. (probably a dumb question but I never know when elections take place as it seems they happen whenever and not like the States where it is predetermined).

b) Will the NDP's lose? Alberta is conservative country and it sucks but I hope they have some chance of staying in power. It sucks for them cause they got a shitty hand. But maybe they are awful but I don't want the conservatives back in power.

c) What is going on with the bathroom law in Alberta. Are people really that choked about this issue?

d) Which party has a better chance of taking power next time there are elections in Alberta? NDP, Liberal, PC, or another? I just want to try and read up and follow and know which party to support. And is there a good source of info to read up on and learn? For US politics it's easy to just read off topic or the community thread as there are constant topics posted giving you up to date politics in US. Is there some place similar for Canada?

2. When is the next national election?

a) How is Trudeau doing and I believe the election is far off but does it look good that the Liberals will do well next election as well?

b) Is universal health care always going to stay or will the conservatives try and do things to weaken it?

c) Any social / envirommental and any important issues in Canada that I should be aware of that politicians are currently discussing?

d) I remember Harper had some law or bill or something where a bunch of people where deemed second class citizens even though they were born here. Did that go away? I don't remember it clearing but it was posted on GAF i think and i believe it could maybe apply to me as my parent's weren't born here but I was.

Thanks and sorry if I should know some of the answers to these questions and I don't.

**NOTE: I'm not Albertan. This is just conjure of me repeating what I've heard. In all likelyhood, its mostly wrong**
1. It was a fluke caused by the slip Conservative Vote
1a. Last Alberta election was last year... so add 4 years and the next election is on 2019
1b. Probably, unless the Conservatives royally fuck it up and split their vote again
1c. No clue. But considering its Conservative Land, chances are people are just uninformed and think that people will use it to rape the opposite sex.
1d. Count out Alberta Liberal Party, they haven't a Snowball's chance in hell. Count on it being either PC's again, or the NDP if the vote splits again

2. Last Federal Election was last year, so add 4 years and the next election is 2019
2a. He's only one year in, and the first year was dedicated to getting used to power and getting all the committees setup. By the end of this year we'll have a clearer picture how he is doing
2b. It isn't going anywhere. If anyone even so dared looking at it the wrong way the entire population will riot and ensure they don't get back in for a long time
2c. Electoral Reform is the single most important thing they are currently debating. If we want our democracy to soar in the coming years we will need to ensure we get a Proportional System out of it. Other than that, there is also Marijuana, Modifications to Bill C51, CETA is now in the ratification stages, and we will have to renegotiate NAFTA so that should prove interesting and terrifying to watch respectively.
2d. Pretty sure thats is in the process of being overturned

mackaveli

**NOTE: I'm not Albertan**
1. It was a fluke caused by the slip Conservative Vote
1a. Last Alberta election was last year... so add 4 years and the next election is on 2019
1b. Probably, unless the Conservatives royally fuck it up and split their vote again
1c. No clue. But considering its Conservative Land, chances are people are just uninformed and think that people will use it to rape the opposite sex.
1d. Count out Alberta Liberal Party, they haven't a Snowball's chance in hell. Count on it being either PC's again, or the NDP if the vote splits again

2. Last Federal Election was last year, so add 4 years and the next election is 2019
2a. He's only one year in, and the first year was dedicated to getting used to power and getting all the committees setup. By the end of this year we'll have a clearer picture how he is doing
2b. It isn't going anywhere. If anyone even so dared looking at it the wrong way the entire population will riot and ensure they don't get back in for a long time
2c. Electoral Reform is the single most important thing they are currently debating. If we want our democracy to soar in the coming years we will need to ensure we get a Proportional System out of it. Other than that, there is also Marijuana, Modifications to Bill C51, CETA is now in the ratification stages, and we will have to renegotiate NAFTA so that should prove interesting and terrifying to watch respectively.
2d. Pretty sure thats is in the process of being overturned

Thanks for the responses.

1. So conservatives will win probably? How good / bad are they or would be? Like my life throughout my whole life in Alberta hasn't been obstructed by government so you could say in my eyes they appear to be all the same but I still want to support left leaning issues etc., You may not know since you not from Alberta.

2. Electoral Reform - Why is our current system bad and what will a proportional system do? Will we most likely have a more left leaning government because of this?

3. Bill C51 is the surveillance / terrorism bill or something? What modifications will be made to it and is it overall a good bill?

4. You think we will have to renegotiate NAFTA? Again I don't have any complaints about government or how my life has been so what has NAFTA helped and if it did go away briefly what can I expect to change in my life?

Thanks again for the answers.

maharg

idspispopd
Please don't listen to any prognosticating about the Alberta election. Especially from someone who isn't even from here. No one knows at this point who will win the next election, and anyone telling you they do is selling snake oil. Right now the right wing of Alberta politics is divided, and there's no sign of it uniting. The parties in the running are the Wildrose and the NDP.

Stop looking for reassurance and inform yourself. And I don't mean by asking a forum to do your homework for you. All you'll get from that is a bunch of rando opinions filled with personal biases and expectations (like the bias you reflect that Alberta is all hicks). Read some wikipedia pages, start paying attention to political media, get involved with a party or some kind of organisation if you want to make a difference beyond your vote.

Re. the bathroom debate the primary opposition to it is a couple of catholic school boards that are largely controlled by their local catholic authority. Right now, because of the NDP, Alberta almost certainly has some of the most progressive law on gender identity in the country. If you want to know more specifically about how Albertans stand against the rest of the country on the subject, look for 6_1 and 6_2 in this poll Ipsos did a while ago: http://www.ipsos-na.com/download/pr.aspx?id=15621

Alberta is a bit of a mixed bag, with Alberta being pretty much in line with the rest of the country in being positive for gender identity being the determining factor, but there are fewer people who "don't care" and more who think birth sex should be the deciding factor roughly in proportion.

Frankly, the idea that Alberta is socially regressive is pretty damn overblown imo. At least on this kind of issue. Albertans have rejected social conservativism in every provincial election since Klein retired, and it's not as if it hasn't been tested. Stelmach and Redford were social moderates and won elections. Prentice juked right and lost, partly because he tried to absorb the far right WRP into his fold. The wildrose have also lost both elections they were poised to win largely because of so-called "bozo moments" by their far right wing caucus in those elections. And finally, the NDP were a more palatable protest vote than the WRP.

Where Albertans are "socially conservative" is in exactly the place that most "centrists" think is entirely valid: the idea that you can be socially progressive and fiscally conservative. Of course, this is bullshit when you realize that social progressivism requires (expensive) social programs or it's basically a sham, but whatever, I tire of having that argument pretty easily.

1. So conservatives will win probably? How good / bad are they or would be? Like my life throughout my whole life in Alberta hasn't been obstructed by government so you could say in my eyes they appear to be all the same but I still want to support left leaning issues etc., You may not know since you not from Alberta.

2. Electoral Reform - Why is our current system bad and what will a proportional system do? Will we most likely have a more left leaning government because of this?

3. Bill C51 is the surveillance / terrorism bill or something? What modifications will be made to it and is it overall a good bill?

4. You think we will have to renegotiate NAFTA? Again I don't have any complaints about government or how my life has been so what has NAFTA helped and if it did go away briefly what can I expect to change in my life?

We will have to re-negotiate NAFTA because President Trump wants to renegotiate NAFTA. It's not really up to us here.

NAFTA for the most part has helped Canada in some ways, harmed it in others. I think overall it's been an economic net benefit but there are some pretty nasty caveats. One of the major ones is that on the issue of oil, it's that Canada is not allowed to reduced oil exports to the United States unless we decrease our usage of it by a certain amount (not sure if it's a 1:1 ratio exactly).

1. Like I said, I'm not from Alberta... so I don't feel comfortable parroting any more than I have already said
which even then is likely off in some ways since I don't pay attention to Alberta
. As for the rest
2. It's not that it will lead to more left wing governments. What it would do is allow governments to be more fair to what the actual vote says. The reason I state its the most important thing parliament is doing right now is because it fundamentally affects how we vote in this country. I personally prefer a Proportional System, others prefer a Preferential System... and some like the current system of FPTP.

- FPTP: The problem with FPTP is that given enough time, choice will always be reduced to 1 or 2 options because of the nature of Vote Splitting and Strategic Ballots once you get to 3 or more options. As for how it works, if Liberals and NDP get 5 votes each, but if the Conservatives get 6 they win
- Proportional Representation: You tack the amount of seats a government gets to the percentage of the vote they received. You only receive 39% of the Vote, you only get 39% of the seats. This works in a multi party democracy because it forces parties to share power unless they can physically get over 50% of the vote.
- AV/IRV: where you rank your candidates in order of preference, knocking out the least popular each round until you have one definitive winner. It's not proportional, but it does take into account overall preferences

As for what the system will result in after being changed, that depends on what system wins out and the demographics of the country. All that can be said for certain is under a proportional system, look forward to more coalitions. Under AV, look forward to strong majorities, under FPTP, look forward to more of the same. Read up on the topic, chose which one you like and make sure you tell your MP which one you prefer before December. Because even if you don't agree with me on Proportional Representation... this is important for our democracy.

3: No clue, last I checked it's still in committee
4: Not up to us. Trump wants it, so Trump is going to get it.

mo60

This is what most people thought about Trump......

Canada is more liberal then the US. Political parties also have to rely a lot more on other groups besides rural whites to win elections and a lot of ridings are usually in the cities or suburbs surrounding the cities like in provinces like Ontario.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom