• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian PoliGAF - 42nd Parliament: Sunny Ways in Trudeaupia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pterion

We can only hope that Canada seizes this "opportunity" to become a stronger country. You can bet China and Russia won't miss this chance. Thank God I refused that job offer in the USA.

Parch

What else is he going to say? USA is our single most important foreign relationship. He can't come out swinging at the person who's going to be in charge for the next 4 years.
Trudeau kissing Trump ass is no surprise.

The new trade agreement with the EU is even more important now. Canada needs to separate itself from the US as much as possible. More trade options with the rest of the world is critical. The less we can be tied to the unstable american economy the better it will be for Canada.

The new trade agreement with the EU is even more important now. Canada needs to separate itself from the US as much as possible. More trade options with the rest of the world is critical. The less we can be tied to the unstable american economy the better it will be for Canada.

what do you want him to do? get into a Twitter war with the next President?

Like it or not, they are our biggest trading partner and it is reality of it all.

Americans have decided to shit their bed, we stuck with smelling it all the way across the fence

Best thing to do is to keep our sanity and decency on our side while dealing with foreign assholes.

jayu26

If you think that's ass kissing then you don't know what ass kissing looks like. He might have to do some ass kissing on behalf of every Canadian later when Trump will be holding scissors over NAFTA (and you will be glad that he did). But what he said now was just a benign congratulation and nothing more.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Personally I think we should look into changing our constitution for making our military for defense purposes only, like Japan.

Loosen our immigration policies. A lot of talent will look to leave the states and a lot of highly qualified immigrants will be looking for different countries to immigrate to... And start building houses/apartments/whatever at a high rate. Lower our minimum wage to attract corporations and manufacturing. Regulate housing to push prices downwards.

Let's kick our growth into overdrive and make ourselves as neutral as possible.

Plus get the voting reform through ASAP.

Apathy

We better cozy up to the EU and china more I guess. Still do business with the US but definitely keep a watchful eye in our own country for any of the same bullshit happening.

Personally I think we should look into changing our constitution for making our military for defense purposes only, like Japan.

Loosen our immigration policies. A lot of talent will look to leave the states and a lot of highly qualified immigrants will be looking for different countries to immigrate to... And start building houses/apartments/whatever at a high rate. Lower our minimum wage to attract corporations and manufacturing. Regulate housing to push prices downwards.

Let's kick our growth into overdrive and make ourselves as neutral as possible.

Plus get the voting reform through ASAP.

Going to guess you're not working one of those jobs.

Ondore

So we need to be more afraid of the radicalization of the male majority, rather than the radicalization of Muslims?

thefil

My partner and I are both working in California under NAFTA. Here I thought my job could be gone any day because of the volatility of the games industry, but instead it looks like it will be the death of NAFTA.

Kifimbo

Trump election might help Trudeau with his pipeline dilemma. If Keystone XL is built, both Energy East and Northern Gateway are not as important for the industry, since their oil will reach the market through the South.

gabbo

So we need to be more afraid of the radicalization of the male majority, rather than the radicalization of Muslims?

Is this a joke? Don't underestimate the same shit that Trump sold to the rust belt working here to a degree. White Disillusionment real or perceived is a hell of a thing.

Azih

Leitch went full evil. I don't think it'll work because we're basically the US if the US was 80% Chicago, Seattle, New Orleans, and Dallas. But we're not immune to anything. Trump is Rob Ford on a much much larger scale.

We also can't sneer at and mock Leich's supporters. That is a failed strategy.

Who are her supporters primarily?

maybe we can sucker Trump to sell Alaska ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

of course maybe, somehow advertise a way to get all the right wingers in our country to also move to the US

Parch

Trump election might help Trudeau with his pipeline dilemma. If Keystone XL is built, both Energy East and Northern Gateway are not as important for the industry, since their oil will reach the market through the South.
Canada can take advantage of the american political situation in some spots, suffer in others. Considering all the problems with NAFTA, Trump wanting to dissolve that might be a good thing for Canada.

I think it's critical that Canadian trade becomes much more diversified. Handcuffed to the US for trade agreements has been largely dependent on geography and economics, but the world economy is evolved enough now that intercontinental trade is much easier.

We'll always have to suffer the consequences of being the neighbor to the US, but when that neighbor becomes insane, it's better to separate from that as much as possible.

DopeyFish

Going to guess you're not working one of those jobs.

Well, I intended to say most of the housing i'd want to be built would be crown owned, leverage those for manufacturing to increase GDP by allowing manufacturing workers live rent free.

$5/hr with rent free is better than $11 with rent in TO.

However I just realized automation exists and is becoming much more prevalent so this concept won't work for long.

Considering all the problems with NAFTA, Trump wanting to dissolve that might be a good thing for Canada.

No.

If you want to argue that we never should have gotten into NAFTA or the original US/CAN FTA in the first place, fine. But it ending after being status quo for 23 years will be a disaster for us.

Azih

We can also probably do a decent job of getting more Silicon Valley investment in our tech hubs. Especially if we make it easier for them to recruit top worldwide talent and help them navigate the Citizenship process.

DopeyFish

Taking out NAFTA is going to fuck southern Ontario pretty badly.

The one area that's been keeping our economy afloat.

Hopefully CETA softens the impact a bit but it's still gonna be bad.

Well, I intended to say most of the housing i'd want to be built would be crown owned, leverage those for manufacturing to increase GDP by allowing manufacturing workers live rent free.

$5/hr with rent free is better than $11 with rent in TO.

However I just realized automation exists and is becoming much more prevalent so this concept won't work for long.

We're a country, not a cruise ship

Apathy

I know most of us in the thread are worried about NAFTA and the short term problems that may come out if him dissolving it if that happens because the economy is important to or day to day lives. I'm a little more concerned looking in the long term if he wants to mess with NATO. If he starts demanding every NATO country pays in full or threatens to leave, where does that leave us.

djkimothy

I know most of us in the thread are worried about NAFTA and the short term problems that may come out if him dissolving it if that happens because the economy is important to or day to day lives. I'm a little more concerned looking in the long term if he wants to mess with NATO. If he starts demanding every NATO country pays in full or threatens to leave, where does that leave us.

Oh yah. I haven't forgotten about NATO and the USs involvement in Asia pacific. The whole world is watching this...

pr0cs

Hopefully, it's a shame this country couldn't get their shit together on the pipelines issue. Hopefully the great big orange can finally push things through.

NATO requirements for military expenditure could be fiddled with. We could spend money to hire people for military positions and just have them do local community service. Would actually be a decent stimulus spending.

gabbo

NATO requirements for military expenditure could be fiddled with. We could spend money to hire people for military positions and just have them do local community service. Would actually be a decent stimulus spending.

I doubt he'd leave such vague loopholes in such negotiations, but then I don't see him succeeding since his NATO arguments aren't well thought out anyway. There are reasons certain NATO countries to have small militaries. Abe of Japan would love to have this talk though. Probably drooling over the thought

Pedrito

I wouldn't worry too much about foreign policy/NATO. Trump is extremely ignorant about these things and many of the big guns of the Republican Party don't really agree with him. They'll probably keep him on a very tight leash.

Indicate

With Brexit and Trump winning maybe we should be a bit more vigilant in Canada with the rise of the alt right. 2016 has me legit shook.

You only have to spend 5 minutes on r/Canada to see that it's already here and will only grow.

We thought Trump support was mostly online, but alas...

It's definitely growing. Just take for example the anti left anti pc support thats come from Professor Jordan Peterson at the University of Toronto.

I doubt he'd leave such vague loopholes in such negotiations, but then I don't see him succeeding since his NATO arguments aren't well thought out anyway.

Yeah I don't want to get too much into the mind of a madman but the NATO requirement to have 2% of GDP in military spending is what he supposedly meant, not just hitting up allies for cash.

gabbo

Yeah I don't want to get too much into the mind of a madman but the NATO requirement to have 2% of GDP in military spending is what he supposedly meant, not just hitting up allies for cash.

I think we'll be fine, though he may try to stick us with the F35.

so America's loss can be a Canada win if Keystone XL is back in play.

I don't want to sound cynical but we heavily rely on our energy sector economically.

As long as it's done environmentally friendly, Keystone XL is an economic positive for Canada

so America's loss can be a Canada win if Keystone XL is back in play.

I don't want to sound cynical but we heavily rely on our energy sector economically.

As long as it's done environmentally friendly, Keystone XL is an economic positive for Canada

it is less about the pipeline that people are rioting about but more so the whole idea of fracking and tar-sands

gabbo

indeed if there was a better method to extract that oil then there would be less opposition

How environmentally friendly are the Trudeau Liberals when push comes to shove, because the pres-elect has already said he'd basically kill the EPA. I don't know if this'll be as big an issue as we'd hope

sikkinixx

I wonder how much of Trudeau's win was just "fuck the guy in power now! WE NEED CHANGE" without actually even caring what the change was. I mean Trudeau obviously ran on a 180 platform from Trump but he's more celebrity than politician to a huge number of people.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Fracking is not that bad, most of the problems are local and are improving due to increased regulation (although, that might go out the window now) so it won't affect us.

I mean, I wish we would move away from oil much faster altogether, but there are worse problems.

Fracking is not that bad, most of the problems are local and are improving due to increased regulation (although, that might go out the window now) so it won't affect us.

I mean, I wish we would move away from oil much faster altogether, but there are worse problems.
yeah like coal or what not

but fracking also puts chemicals into the ground that are hard to breakdown

again if they find some method that is less harmful for our lands then go ahead and do it is what I say

gabbo

How does a former Minister for the Status of Women" from the previous Conservative government play the outsider card?
I do hope both the country, but also the Cons as a party reject her bullshit and anything else she picks up from Trump.

I wonder how much of Trudeau's win was just "fuck the guy in power now! WE NEED CHANGE" without actually even caring what the change was. I mean Trudeau obviously ran on a 180 platform from Trump but he's more celebrity than politician to a huge number of people.

He's at least been a sitting politician, and the son of the country's most well known/[loved?] PM. Anyone who sees him only as a celeb should be happy it's not Mulroney's kid running for office.

This is inevitable. People will try to follow Trump's path and strategy. We can only hope Canadians aren't as easily deluded.

Canada's advantage is the we have 3 years left to witness Trump implode and fail.

Brexit and Trump were less than 6 months apart.

3 years is an eternity and enough time for Trump to get impeached, indicted or implode

pr0cs

Won't happen in our lifetime. Contrary to popular belief, at least on this forum, oil is used by a LOT of industry outside of vehicles.
We are tied to oil for the foreseeable future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom