• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian PoliGAF - 42nd Parliament: Sunny Ways in Trudeaupia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ontario now has a 19 year old social conservative MPP

I wonder if Brown will let him speak to reporters

With around two-thirds of the polls in in Ottawa-Vanier, by comparison, the OLP candidate is cruising.

I like how some media outlets were painting these by-elections as a test of Premier Wynne. Like, at the best of times, by-elections have little bearing on broader electoral prospects. In this case, where the ridings were two of the safest in the province for the Tories & Liberals respectively, there's zero relation to a general election.

It'll be interesting to see how Brown handles the kid, though. On the one hand, he wasn't the establishment choice, so Brown could plausibly say that he doesn't represent mainstream party opinion. On the other, it continues a trend of pretty socially conservative moves by the Ontario PCs, so...

In unrelated news, Leitch has decided that she's going to rip off rump's Twitter voice, too:
CxfKjvuXgAAlCcr.jpg

I look forward to the next CPC debate, when she starts heckling the other candidates and shouting "Wrong!" during their answers.

Tiktaalik

I like how some media outlets were painting these by-elections as a test of Premier Wynne. Like, at the best of times, by-elections have little bearing on broader electoral prospects. In this case, where the ridings were two of the safest in the province for the Tories & Liberals respectively, there's zero relation to a general election.

It'll be interesting to see how Brown handles the kid, though. On the one hand, he wasn't the establishment choice, so Brown could plausibly say that he doesn't represent mainstream party opinion. On the other, it continues a trend of pretty socially conservative moves by the Ontario PCs, so...

The only thing worth noting is that Liberal turnout in Vanier dropped like a stone, but the PC vote actually went up. It's just such a safe Lib seat that it didn't matter. A similar trend of disaffected Liberal voters province wide would be significant.

In general though incumbent parties always see these sort of results in byelections, and they often lose them. So yeah zzzz.

pr0cs

The idea that Jim Prentice and his cronies would have us in a better position is also laughable at best. Brian Jean & Co.? Hilarious. But yes, you got me; misery and hard times are my main hopes for Alberta, just like Notley /s.
All she's done is make things even harder to stay afloat here. High unemployment, hey let's add more taxes to the pile, we'll tax ourselves into prosperity maybe.
Nutley has driven investment here away with all the uncertainty.

maharg

idspispopd
All she's done is make things even harder to stay afloat here. High unemployment, hey let's add more taxes to the pile, we'll tax ourselves into prosperity maybe.

Another can we not: with the insinuation that someone whose political views we disagree with are insane? Please don't be gross. Take that to reddit or something.

All the PC's need to do to win is to steal the soft wildrose and NDP supporters because I don't expect either party to collapse even if the PC's win a future election. They should not try to go after the hardcore supporters. I'm not sure how they do that at this point, but I don't think they will do it by 2019. Also I don't think Jason Kenney will help them appeal to soft NDP and wildrose supporters to much because he is to divisive.

Actually I just went and looked at the polls since I hadn't looked in a while (Alberta polls don't happen very frequently in non-writ periods, and they don't get a lot of attention when they do), and it actually looks like the PCs have recovered quite a lot of people's attention somehow. I don't really understand how, but they're actually polling pretty close to majority territory. So... that happened.

mo60

Another can we not: with the insinuation that someone whose political views we disagree with are insane? Please don't be gross. Take that to reddit or something.

Actually I just went and looked at the polls since I hadn't looked in a while (Alberta polls don't happen very frequently in non-writ periods, and they don't get a lot of attention when they do), and it actually looks like the PCs have recovered quite a lot of people's attention somehow. I don't really understand how, but they're actually polling pretty close to majority territory. So... that happened.

Just noticed that. I wonder if the PC leadership race is influencing the polls right now since it is kinda controversial at this point. I think we are going to have to wait until around late 2018 or early 2019 to see if the PC's stay high in the polls or if it's a temporary blip that last only until the end of the PC leadership race.

SRG01

There is almost certainly a Trump effect going on here, but anything can happen between now and the next Alberta election.

On the other hand, the only way the PCs can win the next election is if they can distance themselves from past rhetoric -- and current, to some extent -- as every single campaign in recent years has depended on centrist appeal. If they push themselves too far right for the WR vote, they may see the centrist vote go to the NDP again.

But again, Trump effect.

Edit: On the other hand, my social circles have seen a near rejection of Trump-style politics, even hardcore evangelists and the right-wing... So maybe there's hope?

bremon

The lifestyles some people were acclimated to weren't sustainable period, but people make bad decisions. I'm sure oil being in the toilet had nothing to do with shrinking investment. Maybe higher taxes help protect the most vulnerable members of society; hope mission is opening up daytime shelter for homeless, etc. If your finances are in such a sorry state maybe there are publicly funded avenues to find assistance. 6.9% unemployment in Edmonton means there are still plenty of people working. I understand other areas could be worse.

Should we blame the Ft Mac wildfire on the NDP too? The amount of people staying away rather than move back: NDP's fault, or OPEC's? Where should we draw the line with regards to unfortunate situations a different party's provincial government would have saved us from?

sikkinixx

Elizabeth May getting upset in parliament over the word 'fart'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDNw_vbm_7U

May, I really want to vote Green, but this is ridiculous lol. Fart was the perfect word to use in her speech. god.

No it really wasn't. Why not just show up in jeans and a hoody too? Hell, why even discuss things? Just tweet them at eachother.

The House is meant to to be a professional atmosphere. despite the often childish discourse that goes on there. Find an example that doesn't refer to letting one rip to get your point across.

whitehawk

Banned
No it really wasn't. Why not just show up in jeans and a hoody too? Hell, why even discuss things? Just tweet them at eachother.

The House is meant to to be a professional atmosphere. despite the often childish discourse that goes on there. Find an example that doesn't refer to letting one rip to get your point across.
I suppose she could have said we are the elephant in the room no one wants to acknowledge... But seriously? It's fart, it's a legitimate word, it's not a cuss.

edit: now i feel dumb discussing this.

May, I really want to vote Green, but this is ridiculous lol. Fart was the perfect word to use in her speech. god.

That was a little much.

If I was May I would have focussed more on the later part of her complaints, actively calling out the opposition for no benefit, more so than the word fart. Still, I'm happy that this is the news coming out of our government, rather than "The sky is falling" coming from over in the USA and the UK

about the Alberta thing

it isn't a one way street

if they want people to take Alberta seriously or they want people to care more for Alberta they have to care for more people then their majority selves

be it race, ideals, etc....

we are all in it together, there isn't some whining about one thing when you yourself don't care or even try to address the issues that you ignore

of course I don't mean Alberta as a whole since there are always exceptions but I am talking about the so called vocal individuals

put effort into your words

if you want people to care for you then get out of your bubble and not only care for the diverse groups that make this country but also care for everyone's future beyond your life span

pr0cs

The lifestyles some people were acclimated to weren't sustainable period, but people make bad decisions. I'm sure oil being in the toilet had nothing to do with shrinking investment. Maybe higher taxes help protect the most vulnerable members of society; hope mission is opening up daytime shelter for homeless, etc. If your finances are in such a sorry state maybe there are publicly funded avenues to find assistance. 6.9% unemployment in Edmonton means there are still plenty of people working. I understand other areas could be worse.
All you have to do is look at Saskatchewan,funny how the oil price crash didn't hurt them as much nor are they having issues with companies pulling their investments out, thanks because their government is business friendly unlike our shitty govt.
Should we blame the Ft Mac wildfire on the NDP too? The amount of people staying away rather than move back: NDP's fault, or OPEC's? Where should we draw the line with regards to unfortunate situations a different party's provincial government would have saved us from?
The NDP fucked up the forest fires too, pulling funding mere days before the fires took off,then laughing when people started asking when ft Mac would get more support.
The NDP here were voted in because people wanted change, similar to the federal election. Voting for change rather than thinking about what is the best for the province is why we're in such sorry shape right now.

diaspora

All you have to do is look at Saskatchewan,funny how the oil price crash didn't hurt them as much nor are they having issues with companies pulling their investments out, thanks because their government is business friendly unlike our shitty govt.

The NDP fucked up the forest fires too, pulling funding mere days before the fires took off,then laughing when people started asking when ft Mac would get more support.
The NDP here were voted in because people wanted change, similar to the federal election. Voting for change rather than thinking about what is the best for the province is why we're in such sorry shape right now.

It hurt them and their economy isn't as reliant on oil as Alberta. I know it sucks, but Alberta's economy is FUBAR irrespective of who's in government provincially or federally. It's like when the Ontario Tories talk a big game about the budget deficit as though they're capable of making any difference, as though any party is capable of making a difference.

SRG01

The reason why Sask didn't get hit as hard is because their O&G industry is tiny compared to Alberta's. They've been trying to attract investment, but Saskatchewan isn't a very good place to do business -- lack of infrastructure, supporting businesses, financial backing, etc.

Sean C

There was a charity dinner tonight for the Nichola Goddard Foundation, which Naheed Nenshi attended. It's the second time I've seen him (he attended a Palmer Conference on PEI back in 2012 or so), and he is such a great speaker. I imagine the New Democrats' party president is tortured every night by dreams of Nenshi announcing his candidacy for the federal leadership, only to wake up every morning to realize it's not happening.

maharg

idspispopd
Weirdly Alberta is probably one of the best farm leagues for actually left wing politicians in Canada right now. With both Nenshi and Iveson (the mayor of Edmonton, who is if anything left of Nenshi) plus the NDP bench.

As long as the federal NDP is entertaining being fully anti-pipeline, I expect any of them making the jump to federal politics to go liberal.

On a side note, it makes me sad that Iveson doesn't get get as much attention as Nenshi, but such is the nature of Calgary and Edmonton viewed from the outside. Also they have an adorable Twitter bromance and Iveson is a hardcore trekkie.

entertainment-storify-mayor-iveson-joins-comic-ex.jpg

Dr.Acula

Banned
anyone think we may not get legal marijuana because of trump?

Indirectly, yes. I feel like we haven't had it because Canada takes a lot of its lead on drug policy because the US is on our border. We're doing it now because of Colorado, Washington et al. If Trump empowers the DEA to run roughshod over state laws, Canada will feel pressure from across the Southern border.

And now it appears that Fair Vote Canada got the Electoral Reform survey the government is mailing out to every household leaked to them. They are going ham on Twitter commentating on it. I'll link to their twitter, but you kind of have to ignore the speech bubbles they are overlapping on the survey to dog-whistle it out. I whited out this first part, but the rest are really in your face and would be hard to edit out unless I spent some extra time, or unless they released the un-bubbled survey

EDIT: Alright, I was bored and edited all the images. I put them in an album here http://imgur.com/a/tw345

I hate the idea of electronic online voting. I also hate "voter selfies." Especially in the US with "at-will" states. What's preventing corporate culture from encouraging people to post their voter selfies to social media and quietly passing judgement to those that don't support the right candidate? Would the US be fine with Afghanis or Syrians taking voter selfies?

bremon

I agree with Maharg; Don I. seems to be a well-loved mayor here. Very down to earth and charismatic, and as you can tell when he gives statements when tragedy strikes Edmonton, very empathetic. Naheed Nenshi also seems to be a solid leader for the city of Calgary.

pr0cs, I don't know that you and I will see eye to eye on this, but I can appreciate your point of view. I disagree that Saskatchewan is some booming golden land. I've lived there, and worked there commuting from Edmonton. Even when "times were good" it never struck me as some land of opportunity. I'd say despite what they'd tell you it's still the land of kids growing up and getting the hell out.

I'm not some diehard NDP loyalist; I didn't vote for them, but the notion that the PC or WR parties would have Alberta in a better place right now is, in my eyes, a pretty long reach. Now saying that, because we are fairly financially fucked, I would rather be financially fucked with a leader who has open and progressive social policy than the God-fearing "good old boy" image that the right in this province seems to project.

Sean C

I hate the idea of electronic voting. I also hate "voter selfies." Especially in the US with "at-will" states. What's preventing corporate culture from encouraging people to post their voter selfies to social media and quietly passing judgement to those that don't support the right candidate?
I voted online in the recent PEI plebiscite. It's very convenient.

As far as voter selfies go, once we gave everybody a little camera in their phone that they can use at will, the secrecy of the voting booth was fatally compromised. If your concern is people selling their vote and offering proof afterwards, they just need to not post it and only show it to whoever bought it.

And while I'm sure people could be indirectly punished by employers or whoever for advertising ballots, that's equally true of any form of partisan activity. Anybody who feels like posting a ballot selfie has probably made other online statements either in favour of or against their candidate of choice.

I hate the idea of electronic voting. I also hate "voter selfies." Especially in the US with "at-will" states. What's preventing corporate culture from encouraging people to post their voter selfies to social media and quietly passing judgement to those that don't support the right candidate? Would the US be fine with Afghanis or Syrians taking voter selfies?

"Electronic Voting" has to do with machines inside of polling booths that you walk up to and interact with using buttons/touchscreen to select the candidate you want, with the machines tallying the vote instead of it being done by hand. Usually these will also print out a piece of paper with your result that you can stuff into a ballot box as a backup method.

What you are complaining about is the idea of "Online Voting".

lacinius

No funding was pulled days before the fire jumped the highway. In the Alberta budget that was tabled on April 14, about $15million was proposed to be cut from an overall figure of about $100 million in base funding related to forest fires. Last year Alberta spent about $375million fighting wildfires, but I'm sure you can appreciate that no government is going to reserve $375million in the budget for something as unpredictable as the forest fire season. Instead the government will set aside a base amount and then add to it via emergency funding as the need arises.

Looking at the $15million more closely, about $5.1million was to tanker contracts cutting their support time from 123 day to 93 days, which means those contracts started to expire on Aug. 16, which was well after the huge fire in early May. And speaking of the Alberta budget, the earliest it would have received Royal Assent was on May 27.

CazTGG

Edit: On the other hand, my social circles have seen a near rejection of Drumpf-style politics, even hardcore evangelists and the right-wing... So maybe there's hope?

Anecdotal obviously, but there are quite a few that I know (well...knew) who are "happy that c**t Hillary lost, now we won't have World War III" or something to that effect. There's a reason why Leitch may have a shot the Conservative leadership and shouldn't be dismissed so easily. Hope in one hand, Trump in the other.

Tiktaalik

On a side note, it makes me sad that Iveson doesn't get get as much attention as Nenshi, but such is the nature of Calgary and Edmonton viewed from the outside. Also they have an adorable Twitter bromance and Iveson is a hardcore trekkie.

The most recent issue of Monocle magazine is all about Canada and they have a fairly substantial feature of Iveson and Edmonton, which they highlight as a city undergoing an exciting renaissance from previous "Deadmonton" status. In the past Monocle has done features on both Gregor Robinson and Nenshi.

The magazine is worth a pick up if you can find it. It's interesting to see a view of Canada from the outside. With the current world situation as it is, the magazine portrays Canada as a sort of last bastion of civilized, liberal society.

SRG01

I agree with Maharg; Don I. seems to be a well-loved mayor here. Very down to earth and charismatic, and as you can tell when he gives statements when tragedy strikes Edmonton, very empathetic. Naheed Nenshi also seems to be a solid leader for the city of Calgary.

pr0cs, I don't know that you and I will see eye to eye on this, but I can appreciate your point of view. I disagree that Saskatchewan is some booming golden land. I've lived there, and worked there commuting from Edmonton. Even when "times were good" it never struck me as some land of opportunity. I'd say despite what they'd tell you it's still the land of kids growing up and getting the hell out.

I'm not some diehard NDP loyalist; I didn't vote for them, but the notion that the PC or WR parties would have Alberta in a better place right now is, in my eyes, a pretty long reach. Now saying that, because we are fairly financially fucked, I would rather be financially fucked with a leader who has open and progressive social policy than the God-fearing "good old boy" image that the right in this province seems to project.

Nenshi would be a good fit if he ran for the federal Liberals.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Alright guys. I need to be hopeful again after all the craziness that has been happening with US and Trump. First and foremost, what can I do in Vancouver to help prevent a Canadian Trump from happening? I am quite seriously fed up now.

Sean C

Alright guys. I need to be hopeful again after all the craziness that has been happening with US and Trump. First and foremost, what can I do in Vancouver to help prevent a Canadian Trump from happening? I am quite seriously fed up now.
Well, I wouldn't be overly concerned about that regardless, but if you're looking for something to do, join the federal Conservatives and vote for the more moderate candidates ahead of Kellie Leitch.

Mr.Mike

How do you feel about the whole joining the CPC to vote in the leadership election thing? You'd have to join before March-ish in order to be able to vote in it, and pay $15. It's set up so that each riding has 100 points and distributes those points according to the proportion of support within the riding, and also it's a ranked ballot. It works out such that if you're in a riding with a small number of CPC members your vote is worth a lot more, and you don't have to worry about strategically voting for a candidate that you like but also is popular within the CPC.

There might even be a candidate you're actually pretty OK with, like the sole one taking climate change seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom