• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian PoliGAF - 42nd Parliament: Sunny Ways in Trudeaupia

Status
Not open for further replies.
iPolitics got ahold of some documents outlining plans for 24 Sussex. At this point, it'd cost nearly $38 million to fix the PM's residence. That's insane! I'm all for preserving heritage buildings, but at this point it seems like they should tear it down and start over, because the existing residence is a lost cause.

I only thought you might be sighing about the shit she got after I posted. I thought at first her speaking/being applauded was causing it. Then it hit me.
Yes, her being threatened and verbally abused is disgusting, but sadly not shocking.

We had a discussion about this in class today. Someone -- and keep in mind this was in a Master's level class -- tried to justify it by saying that as a floor-crosser, Jensen should've anticipated the reaction. The sad/dumb part: the person who said that was also woman.

Unless Twitter, Facebook, etc., get serious about cracking down on harassment of all kinds, I don't know what can be done. You'd think that naming & shaming would do the trick, but people are saying these things under their real names, particularly on FB. It really makes you weep for humanity.

lol ok so this is very certainly purely an attempt to embarrass the government. Those tax changes are just stupid and not serious.

The Globe article on this is better than the one I posted and lays out the tax code code changes in detail. http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ove-to-re-write-the-tax-code/article32973580/

Huh. That's unfortunate. I'd be all in favour of upping taxes on upper tax brackets, and I say that as someone who'd probably end up paying a little more. It's too bad that CPCers can't even be serious about policy in the Senate, where they don't even have to worry about re-election.

Llyranor

So apparently the Parti Quebecois has once again recently brought up a debate about removing certain religious freedoms from Muslims. Has anyone been following this?

orochi91

So apparently the Parti Quebecois has once again recently brought up a debate about removing certain religious freedoms from Muslims. Has anyone been following this?
Again?

Is there literally nothing else of importance in Québec that the party could be prioritizing?

the PQ are screwed because the right leaning CAQ are running with the identity nationalism ball; the CAQ leader is studying Trump's win and has ratcheted up his hard-line stance on identity nationalism. So the PQ is hemoraging on the Right towards the CAQ.

the PQ has chosen a ''intellectual'' Machiavellic leader who leans Center-Left (J-F Lisée) who replaces the businessman PKP who quit earlier this year (PKP was Center-Right).

The PQ are also screwed on the Left because the hard-left party QS is gaining ground in low income ridings in Montreal eating away on the Left flank.

Lisée is trying to strike a deal with QS to defeat the Liberals. QS will only agree to it if the PQ drops their hard-line stance on identity nationalism, because QS is more culturally inclusive.
But if the PQ drops their hard-line identity stance; then the Right leaning CAQ will take ALL of identity voters

so, Lisée and the PQ are screwed.

Liberals win

Llyranor

I can't stand any of the provincial parties, urg. Liberals would be more tolerable if they weren't slowly dismantling the healthcare system. Get rid of freaking Barrette, please.

I can't stand any of the provincial parties, urg. Liberals would be more tolerable if they weren't slowly dismantling the healthcare system. Get rid of freaking Barrette, please.

yup, this is the sad state of Provincial politics. Quebec Liberals suck but they are the only ones who are not obsessed with either identity nationalism or separation.

we hold our noses and vote these bums in, over and over.

LOL, Barrette is on a charm offensive trying to convince journalists that the food served in Old Folks homes to be edible.

Journalists are have a field day this week making fun of him because the sad truth of Old Folks homes are a disaster. The fake ''taste test' is not convincing journalists.

I don't like Barrette either, he is a jerk and a bad health minister.

I want Moreau to take over the party

Sean C

Kevin O'Leary says he is holding meetings with people about a CPC leadership run, on the grounds that Donald Trump's economic and environment policies will improve American competitiveness and thus Canada needs to follow suit.

Alavard

I would think O'Leary's bizarre statements this year on considering running as leader of the Liberals would sink him with conservatives, but after Trump, I can't count on anything anymore.

The Liberals introduced an Act to Amend the Elections Act. The highlights:
CyCfD5nWIAEXtVs.jpg

- expats are allowed to vote again
- Elections Canada can, once again, encourage people to vote
- Elections Canada will have a pre-registry of teens aged 14-17 so that when they turn 18, they're automatically added to the list of voters

Full list of reforms is here, but I'm really glad to see them follow through on this.

TimeKillr

the PQ are screwed because the right leaning CAQ are running with the identity nationalism ball; the CAQ leader is studying Trump's win and has ratcheted up his hard-line stance on identity nationalism. So the PQ is hemoraging on the Right towards the CAQ.

the PQ has chosen a ''intellectual'' Machiavellic leader who leans Center-Left (J-F Lisée) who replaces the businessman PKP who quit earlier this year (PKP was Center-Right).

The PQ are also screwed on the Left because the hard-left party QS is gaining ground in low income ridings in Montreal eating away on the Left flank.

Lisée is trying to strike a deal with QS to defeat the Liberals. QS will only agree to it if the PQ drops their hard-line stance on identity nationalism, because QS is more culturally inclusive.
But if the PQ drops their hard-line identity stance; then the Right leaning CAQ will take ALL of identity voters

so, Lisée and the PQ are screwed.

Liberals win

If QS wasn't "separatist", they'd get the vast majority of anglo votes in Quebec. I can guarantee that - every single anglo I know here in Montreal is left-leaning but they will have continual support for the Liberals because they're the only ones who don't push for separation.

It's really sad. They have no real option, really.

Prax

- Elections Canada will have a pre-registry of teens aged 14-17 so that when they turn 18, they're automatically added to the list of voters

Full list of reforms is here, but I'm really glad to see them follow through on this.
All of this looks good. I approve.
This pre-registry thing is also a neat idea!

I hope elections/voting reform follows this too.

maharg

idspispopd
I'm way more worried about O'Leary than Leich. Seriously.

There's still a lot that stands in his way, including the way the CPC leadership vote will happen, but....

This... isn't the entirety of the result of the electoral reform consultation results is it?

gabbo

https://twitter.com/AaronWherry/status/801815632773808128

I like this a lot, we should always be making voting as easy as possible

I'm all for this. Anything to get the average Canadian more engaged in their country.

Kevin O'Leary says he is holding meetings with people about a CPC leadership run, on the grounds that Donald Trump's economic and environment policies will improve American competitiveness and thus Canada needs to follow suit.
This however, this I am not in favour of at all and would hope that Canadians are smart enough to see through O'Leary's shit. Between he and Leitch, I want someone spineless like MacKay back in as leader.

Zeeman

Expanding ex-pat voting is the one part that seems a bit odd to me. Can someone explain to me why that's important? It seems weird to give someone a vote that's been gone for more than 5 years and may not intend to come back.

Expanding ex-pat voting is the one part that seems a bit odd to me. Can someone explain to me why that's important? It seems weird to give someone a vote that's been gone for more than 5 years and may not intend to come back.

They're Canadian?

Our laws apply to them. They pay Canadian taxes. In most cases they aren't citizens of other countries and can't vote there.

maharg

idspispopd
They're Canadian?

Our laws apply to them. They pay Canadian taxes. In most cases they aren't citizens of other countries and can't vote there.

Canadians who are non-resident in Canada don't pay Canadian taxes.

Mind you, if you still own a house here or something like that you may not be a non-resident even if you don't live there for years.

fan-fucking-tastic

I imagine the Voter ID card will be very easy to procure, yes?

many EU countries have goverment issued ID cards, with thumb print incriptions, chip, really secure

I am all for a Citizen ID card so we can do all our stuff with it (as long as we pick high tech, secure and chip and all).... and fuck Provinces

Sean C

Pre-registering teenagers is a good idea. I guess they'd do that through school?

This... isn't the entirety of the result of the electoral reform consultation results is it?
No, this is an entirely separate thing. The government promised to repeal the Fair Elections Act, and this is the mechanism.

Actually, on reading the G&M's article, apparently the special committee's report on electoral reform will be delivered next Thursday.

I imagine the Voter ID card will be very easy to procure, yes?
They mail it to you before the election. It's the piece of paper that tells you where to vote, etc.; in the last election it wasn't usable as ID, which was irritating for some people.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Wut

If QS wasn't "separatist", they'd get the vast majority of anglo votes in Quebec. I can guarantee that - every single anglo I know here in Montreal is left-leaning but they will have continual support for the Liberals because they're the only ones who don't push for separation.

I'm not an anglo, but I agree. I want a left-leaning, non-separatist provincial party. There's no option except a super-fringe minority party called Union Citoyenne that has 0 chance. If only the NDP could find some provincial foothold here...

SRG01

They mail it to you before the election. It's the piece of paper that tells you where to vote, etc.; in the last election it wasn't usable as ID, which was irritating for some people.

The cynical part of me thinks that the voter card change was meant to suppress votes during the last election :(

I'm way more worried about O'Leary than Leich. Seriously.

There's still a lot that stands in his way, including the way the CPC leadership vote will happen, but....

Like Sean said, this is just to deal with Harper's Fair Elections Act. I can't find the exact quote right now, but Monsef promised that this was just the beginning. She said that in the context of being asked about their promise to turn off partisan ads during the pre-writ period.

RE: Leitch & O'Leary...in the wake of Trump, I'm not going to dismiss anything outright, but there are a lot more structural obstacles in place here than there are down there. I can't imagine many CPC diehards are too keen on the idea of a reality TV star (who very loudly disparaged their entire party within the last calendar year) coming in and taking over their party. He can't self-fund at all, beyond a $25k loan (not gift, contrary to that G&M article). What novelty value he may have to his, er, fans (?) probably won't go as far as them spending $15 to take out a party membership. Trump benefited heavily from winner-take-all primaries, whereas the CPC race has a preferential ballot and proportional delegates -- considering his strategy seems like it'd be "tell all the other candidates how stupid they are", winning second- and third-choice support seems like a longshot. Again, stranger things literally just happened in the U.S. election, but there's no reason to believe that he'd be anything other than a massive longshot to win.

Like I've said before, I think an O'Leary run would be more Peter Pocklington than Donald Trump.

The cynical part of me thinks that the voter card change was meant to suppress votes during the last election :(

That's not being cynical, that's looking at everything else the Harper Conservatives did to try and keep voter turnout down, and then coming to a logical conclusion.

Surge in gang violence in Calgary and Edmonton drives up Alberta's homicide rate

Alberta's rate of gang-related homicides more than tripled last year, with killings in the Calgary and Edmonton areas accounting for the majority of the increase.

That's according to the latest Statistics Canada data, which breaks down homicide rates by province, by gang involvement and by the Indigenous or non-Indigenous identity of victims.

Indigenous people continue to be far more likely to be killed than non-Indigenous people in Canada, with a homicide rate 6.7 times higher than the non-Indigenous population.

The three prairie provinces led the country in overall homicide rates.

Alberta's rate was the highest — by a substantial margin over second-place British Columbia — when it comes to non-Indigenous victims, specifically.

Prince Edward Island held the title for highest non-Indigenous homicide rate in 2014 but that was because there happened to be three killings among of the province's relatively small population of about 150,000.

With just one homicide in 2015, the P.E.I. rate dropped back down, while Alberta's increased by about 25 per cent to reach 2.40 homicides per 100,000 non-Indigenous people.

The crime statistics released this week show Alberta led the country in gang-related homicides last year, with a rate 0.67 killings related to organized crime per 100,000 people.

That marks a 205 per cent increase over 2014, and a 138 per cent increase over Alberta's previous five-year average.

In Calgary, specifically, in 2015 there was an uptick in gang-related crime in general, as turf wars emerged between competing criminal organizations whose members are often linked by family ties.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member

I really hope we'll have NPD Québec next election to split the anglo vote. Voting for a party that is openly destroying the province and its social safety net just because you're afraid of a referendum is crazy to me, but so is the general direction the West is taking politically, so...

Sean C

I started looking at the "non-indigenous" chart, and was surprised to see Ontario's number was slightly higher than Manitoba's (1.16 vs. 1.13), given the high crime reputation. LOL, then I remembered the indigenous chart, which is 3.44 for Ontario versus an obscene 15.49 for Manitoba, leading to a total score of 1.26 for Ontario vs. 3.63 for Manitoba.

I really hope we'll have NPD Québec next election to split the anglo vote. Voting for a party that is openly destroying the province and its social safety net just because you're afraid of a referendum is crazy to me, but so is the general direction the West is taking politically, so...
I'd say it's perfectly rational to not want to vote in (or facilitate the voting in) of a party that would try to undermine national unity every chance it got.

That's the problem when provincial politics are organized around the separatist debate rather than normal governance issues. It supersedes everything else.

Quebec politics suck ass. As long as nationalism, identity and separatism are part of some party platforms, it will continue to suck ass.

At least the Federal has clearer parties on Left, Center and Right to chose from.

IMO, the Provinces should be eliminated and should all fall under the control of the Federal Government. Yeah, I'm a centralist but it's for the best.

Pierre Trudeau was right all along

I'd like to see a different separation of federal/provincial powers. The obvious one is health care, where it's administered by the provinces but they can't afford it so it's funded by the feds. That's just a mess.

Of course that would probably mean opening the constitution, which is impossible, so yeah.

I'd like to see a different separation of federal/provincial powers. The obvious one is health care, where it's administered by the provinces but they can't afford it so it's funded by the feds. That's just a mess.

Of course that would probably mean opening the constitution, which is impossible, so yeah.

I think healthcare should be Federal; especially since Provinces are doing a shitty job.

the only reason why Provinces have Health and Education was because of Religion; (Catholic, Protestant) that is outdated IMO. Give Healthcare back to the Federal under one body of efficiency.

WolfeTone

Bit off topic, but can anyone recommend any good books for an overview of Canadian history? Or good starting points to learn about Canada for someone who has been here a while but knows very little of Canadian history?

Pedrito

It's not like the Federal government has shown that much more proficiency in the exercise of its constitutional powers. We just hear less about it because it got all the obscure ones, including Indian affairs, which is a mess and no one really cares. Appart from that, are you really statisfied with telecommunications, interprovincial transportation, mail, defense? Yep...

Sean C

Bit off topic, but can anyone recommend any good books for an overview of Canadian history? Or good starting points to learn about Canada for someone who has been here a while but knows very little of Canadian history?
If you're looking for a general overview of the whole thing, Margaret Conrad's A Concise History of Canada or Desmond Morton's A Short History of Canada would be places to start.

gabbo

I think healthcare should be Federal; especially since Provinces are doing a shitty job.

the only reason why Provinces have Health and Education was because of Religion; (Catholic, Protestant) that is outdated IMO. Give Healthcare back to the Federal under one body of efficiency.

Keep it provincial but start putting strings back onto the transfer payments, like they had pre-Chretien Liberals.

Quebec politics suck ass. As long as nationalism, identity and separatism are part of some party platforms, it will continue to suck ass.

At least the Federal has clearer parties on Left, Center and Right to chose from.

IMO, the Provinces should be eliminated and should all fall under the control of the Federal Government. Yeah, I'm a centralist but it's for the best.

Pierre Trudeau was right all along

I completely agree that we need more centralization of policy in Canada, but at the same time provinces should still exist, just don't put them in charge of major policy.

Keep it provincial but start putting strings back onto the transfer payments, like they had pre-Chretien Liberals.
In the case of healthcare, we should centralize the core portions of it while leaving the general specifics down to the individual provinces.

My ideal way, would be if you were to liken it to a division within a company. You have the Federal Head which has a core set of stuff only they handle, such as administering the handing out of Health Cards, the billing, negotiations to get stuff for cheaper and the core set of requrements. Then from the provinces (divisions) perspectives, they are in charge of administering the actual program within the province and can choose to add onto the base coverage should they want to. Then slap a fancy label on it that says "Canada Health Insurance Plan" with a new logo and away you go.

Basically, its the same degree of seperation that exists with the Student Loan Program where you have the NSLSC being the main entity behind it all, and each province which has signed onto it acts as administration divisions to modify as they see fit. For provinces, there is a very key set of ideas in the program that they don't have to manage, while they still have the power to do some more off the wall ideas like Ontario's Free Tuition simply via the province paying more money into the program and saying "this is what the money is for"

Sean C

On another topic, the Bank of Canada's contest for women to feature on the next Canadian banknote series (I gather these are going to be on the side opposite the usual array of PMs) is soon to announce its winner. I hadn't really been following it, but the shortlist is damn obscure, for the most part. I'd only heard of Desmond and Rosenfeld, and in the latter case that's just because I spent a chunk of last year editing Olympics templates on Wikipedia. Moreover, comparing it to the longlist, they eliminated a lot of more famous people, like L.M. Montgomery and Emily Carr.

if one province sucks at healthcare but the neighboring province doesn't suck at it; there is a disparity.

why re-invent the wheel 10 times differently when we could all adopt THE BEST model that works best in the country?

+sharing of knowledge, less red tape, transferring patients across imaginary provincial borders. The interest of the patient should come before Provincial pride

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
if one province sucks at healthcare but the neighboring province doesn't suck at it; there is a disparity.

why re-invent the wheel 10 times differently when we could all adopt THE BEST model that works best in the country?

This, of course, implies federal government would always choose THE BEST model and that this model would be THE BEST for all provinces, no matter how different they are.

I'm not convinced. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom