• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian PoliGAF - 42nd Parliament: Sunny Ways in Trudeaupia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean C

Joe Clark, maybe?
Clark is the reddest Red Tory alive. He endorsed the Liberals in 2004, and I suspect he's been voting for them since. He'd be even worse an endorsement than Mulroney.

Fortunately, we now know the "game changer" is Tony Clement.

Sean C

The Electoral Reform Committee's report has been brought in:

- Recommends that there should be some form of MMP system.
- Recommends that there should be a referendum on its adoption.
- They specifically cite that the system shouldn't score higher than a 5 on the Gallagher Index (the current system scores a 17).
- They say that whatever MMP model the government employs should not involve a closed list.
- They also, somewhat randomly, recommend that the government should amend the Elections Act to create financial incentives for political parties to run more female candidates.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport

- They specifically cite that the system shouldn't score higher than a 5 on the Gallagher Index (the current system scores a 17).
- They say that whatever MMP model the government employs should not involve a closed list.
- They also, somewhat randomly, recommend that the government should amend the Elections Act to create financial incentives for political parties to run more female candidates.

Great news

I wrote to my Liberal MP a while back asking about progress on this and he got back to me essentially saying they are waiting for this report before they do anything.

SRG01

Closed list is gone, whew. Those recommendations look pretty good.

Tiktaalik

The Liberals meanwhile have released a minority report stating that the majority report recommendations are "too radical."

The Liberals are upset that the massive majority of experts the committee brought in for advice trashed the PM's favoured Ranked Ballots system so now they're going to kill the whole election reform idea, explicitly breaking a major election promise.

Real Change everybody!

Breaking news: Maxime Bernier's announcement is that he has the endorsement of that "giant" (his words) of Canadian conservatism...

Yep.

That is the kind of endorsement you would think that you wouldn't make a huge announcement of. I am not sure how many people are going to think "Oh shit, Clement is backing him? I am totes on board with this now!!

Sean C

[KoRp]Jazzman;225769616 said:
That is the kind of endorsement you would think that you wouldn't make a huge announcement of. I am not sure how many people are going to think "Oh shit, Clement is backing him? I am totes on board with this now!!
Well, maybe to the extent that some people in the CPC consider Bernier a flake, the backing of a journeyman like Clement is significant. Or maybe Bernier is just trying to make it sound more impressive than it actually is.

Angus Reid polled people on electoral reform here, though the process of the poll is a lot more thorough than an actual campaign on the issue would probably be (e.g., having the respondents look at samples of different ballots).

maharg

idspispopd
Well, maybe to the extent that some people in the CPC consider Bernier a flake, the backing of a journeyman like Clement is significant. Or maybe Bernier is just trying to make it sound more impressive than it actually is.

Angus Reid polled people on electoral reform here, though the process of the poll is a lot more thorough than an actual campaign on the issue would probably be (e.g., having the respondents look at samples of different ballots).

Interesting that they didn't even ask about Trudeau's pet AV system.

7/10 have no faith in the government to enact meaningful change. Ouch.

Ac30

Ugh the disinformation that's gonna be run to fight the referendum.

Great that they agree on a proportional system. That effectively means on the Federal level that Ranked Ballots (aside from STV) are dead. Annoyed that they came back with a referendum because your average citizen isn't going to take the time to educate themselves on the proposed systems. I can just imagine the misinformation campaign now. "The Liberals are trying to kill democracy. Vote FPTP now!"

Anyhow, if a referendum is what they agreed on, let's get the damn thing rolling.

The Liberals meanwhile have released a minority report stating that the majority report recommendations are "too radical."

The Liberals are upset that the massive majority of experts the committee brought in for advice trashed the PM's favoured Ranked Ballots system so now they're going to kill the whole election reform idea, explicitly breaking a major election promise.

Real Change everybody!

Then I saw this that came out, and oh FFS. Now all we need is the opposition forcing them into a referendum and we are on a path to an exact repeat of what happened in Ontario where the government purposefully tries to tank it by either refusing to advertise the referendum... or campaigning against it despite the evidence and recommendations from the most knowledgeable on the topic.

CazTGG

Man, I would have actually liked it to be a logo.... This is.... what? Him?

who.gif

All of these sound good (even if it is sad that we need a better reason than "they constitute half of the country's population and our party's should reflect this fact" to have more women MPs)...except the call for a referendum.

That's all well and good, but the question is if the Liberal Party actually follows through with electoral reform. Right now, It really looks like the Liberals are backtracking.

That's all well and good, but the question is if the Liberal Party actually follows through with electoral reform. Right now, It really looks like the Liberals are backtracking.

Going off of historical precedent, now that the governing party didn't get what they wanted, they back off on their promise and in the next election the opposition will use it as a sign of weakness to force a referendum for the next parliament.

Then, if the Governing Party Changes they will either ignore that call for a referendum to keep the status quo, or they will call the referendum with the intent of tanking it to make the issue go away because it would be little of their own political capital spent because it was the other parties baby. Meanwhile if the Governing Party stays the same, they who had been forced into promising a referendum, will call one and leave it out to die because "We never wanted to call one anyways"

If any of the referendums happen to pass, they toss out the response because It is not indicative of the population or because it didn't meet bullshit supermajority thresholds. Que 40 years later, and obviously too much time has passed since the original study, so we start up another citizens assembly or parliamentary committee; they give the same recommendations and the cycle continues

Prax

Do it Trudeau. Do the right thing.

I know he's a bit soft and a bit of a waffler depending on the atmosphere, but I think if the general public is vocal enough about wanting this in an idealistic manner (and not a cynical one), he will waffle in that direction.

maharg

idspispopd

Real Change everybody!

Evidence-based governance, everyone.

Tiktaalik

Great that they agree on a proportional system. That effectively means on the Federal level that Ranked Ballots (aside from STV) are dead. Annoyed that they came back with a referendum because your average citizen isn't going to take the time to educate themselves on the proposed systems. I can just imagine the misinformation campaign now. "The Liberals are trying to kill democracy. Vote FPTP now!"

Anyhow, if a referendum is what they agreed on, let's get the damn thing rolling.

Referendums are stupid, but it's likely that's the accommodation that needed to be made in order to have a majority report in favour of electoral reform.

It was apparent before the election that the existence of this committee was to give the Liberals a backdoor to bail on their promise if things didn't go their way. Now we're seeing that backdoor used in action. Similarly we often see referenda used in the same way, where the government can interpret the results in whatever fashion they see fit and use them to excuse any action or inaction.

SRG01

Strangely enough, the NDP reportly put out a supplement report saying that they don't really want a referendum. I'm so confused.

Prax

I think everyone is hesitant about making this a real thing because of all the work it would take (and possible backlash/unintended consequences).
Since everyone theoretically knows "how to win" in the old system, but they would have to come up with some new strategy altogether to figure how to best work MMP to their advantage?

Silexx

I sometimes wonder if the Liberals forget that they have a majority because, dear god, they are being outmaneuvered here.

(This is isn't to mean that I want the Liberals to just ram anything they want through)

Referendums are stupid, but it's likely that's the accommodation that needed to be made in order to have a majority report in favour of electoral reform.

It was apparent before the election that the existence of this committee was to give the Liberals a backdoor to bail on their promise if things didn't go their way. Now we're seeing that backdoor used in action. Similarly we often see referenda used in the same way, where the government can interpret the results in whatever fashion they see fit and use them to excuse any action or inaction.

I think you're jumping to conclusions. Maybe just wait for more details before we start rage mode?

I really don't believe the Liberals are intentionally sabotaging the process, but cynically I've put forward that allowing a referendum & then not campaigning hard for it would be a clever out from a political maneuvering standpoint should they decide they'd rather try their hand at FPTP for another generation. I hope that doesn't happen of course, but it's interesting to think about.

Silexx

Strangely enough, the NDP reportly put out a supplement report saying that they don't really want a referendum. I'm so confused.

The NDP has always been a huge proponent of electoral reform, they don't want to leave the opportunity to chance on a referendum question. So they want the government to just straight up introduce the legislation.

SRG01

I sometimes wonder if the Liberals forget that they have a majority because, dear god, they are being outmaneuvered here.

(This is isn't to mean that I want the Liberals to just ram anything they want through)

They're not being outmanoeuvred. They know perfectly well that the general public has no appetite for either electoral reform and/or referendum. They have outright said so, and the polls agree with that sentiment.

Having said that, all parties are jockeying for political points here. This report was never going to give anything substantial or workable right from the beginning.

I really like this idea from the NDP/Green supplementary report btw:

Rural-urban proportional representation (RUP), as first elaborated by former Chief Electoral Officer Jean-Pierre Kingsley, in which current riding boundaries are maintained, but current urban ridings are clustered into multi-member ridings of three to five MPs. To minimize the level of distortion between the popular will of the electorate and the resultant seat allocations in Parliament, in 2019, the government should add an additional 50 seats for regional compensatory MPs. Again, regional compensatory MPs may be elected from an open list, flexible list, or elected as “best runners-up”, as per the Baden-Württemberg system. Like our proposed MMP model, compensatory seats would be drawn from territories, provinces, or sub-regions within provinces. As such, a full riding redistribution would be unnecessary.

I've never really felt well represented by my local MP across several cities, especially since my local concerns are usually city-wide issues (transit...). This would be an interesting way of introducing more proportional representation while preserving local representation for larger rural ridings.

maharg

idspispopd

I've never really felt well represented by my local MP across several cities, especially since my local concerns are usually city-wide issues (transit...). This would be an interesting way of introducing more proportional representation while preserving local representation for larger rural ridings.

This was asked about in the poll linked to a bit up-page and people were really negative on it. I have to admit my knee-jerk reaction on the name was also negative, because it implies a divisiveness between urban and rural ridings, but I'd honestly be pretty ok with it overall.

If there's any real compromise position, this seems like it to me.

Tiktaalik

I think you're jumping to conclusions. Maybe just wait for more details before we start rage mode?

I really don't believe the Liberals are intentionally sabotaging the process, but cynically I've put forward that allowing a referendum & then not campaigning hard for it would be a clever out from a political maneuvering standpoint should they decide they'd rather try their hand at FPTP for another generation. I hope that doesn't happen of course, but it's interesting to think about.

If they didn't want a referendum and wanted electoral reform they had that option. Neither the Greens nor NDP support a referendum. If the Liberals were genuine for their desire for electoral reform they could have worked to achieve a consensus with the NDP.

There's no conclusion jumping here. The Liberal report is right there in the link I cited. Their position is very clear with a summary at the end. They want more consultation which will go beyond 2019. This is essentially them wanting to either bury this thing forever, or have a do over on the whole process to try to get an outcome they want.

SRG01

RUP is definitely manageable because it doesn't require any redrawing. The additional MPs are worrying though.

imBask

Banned
They're not being outmanoeuvred. They know perfectly well that the general public has no appetite for either electoral reform and/or referendum. They have outright said so, and the polls agree with that sentiment.

but the reform was part of the PLC's electoral platform and they won... isn't that also a poll to consider?

We are committed to ensuring that 2015 will be the last federal election
conducted under the first-past-the-post voting system.
We will convene an all-party Parliamentary committee to review a wide variety
of reforms, such as ranked ballots, proportional representation, mandatory
voting, and online voting.
This committee will deliver its recommendations to Parliament. Within 18
months of forming government, we will introduce legislation to enact electoral
reform.

that reads pretty clear to me that this is (or was) important to them, apparently. What I mean is that t was front and center, not some backhand promise in an assembly

Silexx

Having said that, all parties are jockeying for political points here. This report was never going to give anything substantial or workable right from the beginning.

Monsef is currently getting roasted in the HoC right now because she just attempted to throw the commitee that her own government formed under the bus.

SRG01

but the reform was part of the PLC's electoral platform and they won... isn't that also a poll to consider?

that reads pretty clear to me that this is (or was) important to them, apparently

As I've mentioned multiple times, a voter voting for a party may be in favor of only a few policy points and not the entire platform. It's very dangerous to imply the opposite.

Monsef is currently getting roasted in the HoC right now because she just attempted to throw the commitee that her own government formed under the bus.

Well, I do agree that Monsef is terrible as a minister... Why wasn't a political veteran in charge of this ministry/portfolio?

How small does this get? Scarborough's interests are different from Downtown Toronto's, yet they are both part of the same municipality.

Edit: ah, 3-5 ridings. I think the suburban/urban divide will still be missed out in medium sized cities.

As I've mentioned multiple times, a voter voting for a party may be in favor of only a few policy points and not the entire platform. It's very dangerous to imply the opposite.
You can say that about everything on their platform.

imBask

Banned

why have a platform then if you can just use that argument about anything? and I don't mean that in an offensive way

and also I just did a quick google job to find 2 articles from 6 and 4 months ago mentionning that 65% and 73% of canadians wanted a reform, why is today's poll so drastically different

AND ALSO, polls are a hard sell right now :lol

why have a platform then if you can just use that argument about anything? and I don't mean that in an offensive way

and also I just did a quick google job to find 2 articles from 6 and 4 months ago mentionning that 65% and 73% of canadians wanted a reform, why is today's poll so drastically different

AND ALSO, polls are a hard sell right now :lol

I never voted for a party platform in my entire life

pr0cs

Have some compassion. If you're talking about things that don't affect you in an inconsiderate way, maybe you deserve to be called out on it. (note: I am not specifically saying that you are being inconsiderate, but your post is the most obvious jumping off point for what I wanted to say about this entire conversation and I don't think calling people out individually is all that useful either)
That would be nice but it doesn't remotely happen on these forums.

And this is exactly why.

Manufacturing in Ontario will be doing just fine because of the low oil prices. For Canada it'll be a wash.

For Albertan's it'll be a well earned comeuppance.

Fantastic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom