• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cancel your preorders. iPad Air (aka iPad 5) and iPad Mini Retina announced.

hero.jpg

specs_color.jpg

Thinner, lighter.

2048*1536 resolution (264 ppi)

Height:
9.4 inches (240 mm)
Width:
6.6 inches (169.5 mm)
Depth:
0.29 inch (7.5 mm)
Weight:
1 pound (469 g)

A7 chip.
??? RAM

Starts $500 16gb. Buy them Nov 1. (no preorders)

display_hero.jpg

Specs.

2048*1536 resolution (326 ppi)
7.87 x 5.3 x 0.29 in
0.73 lb

A7 chip
??? RAM

Starts $400 16gb. Buy sometime in November. (last year's mini is still being sold, starting $300).

Really curious which sells more, ipads or next gen consoles in 1 year.

bob page

I really don't like their new model/pricing structure. I think I'm going to save up for another nextgen console instead of upgrading my Mini to retina.

And why does the iPad 2 still exist?

I love how they always show their products from these angles. They always taper them off at the edges to make it feel thinner than it actually is, because you won't be grabbing the fat bit.

For a good example, look at the Macbook Air.

Valnen

So mini retina has same specs as air, just smaller screen? I kind of want that. The full sized ipad always seemed like overkill anytime I got to try one.

Fixed1979

Why is this on the gaming side?

I jest

Really nothing to get excited about IMO. Unless you're about to go out and buy a new tablet I don't feel there's anything attention grabbing about it.

Dragon

Banned
I really don't like their new model/pricing structure. I think I'm going to save up for another nextgen console instead of upgrading my Mini to retina.

And why does the iPad 2 still exist?

Because people are dumb enough to pay the absurd $399 price for it.

I thought you were Lunch Box for a second. :p

The mini looks really nice, but if I ever get a tablet, I want one to be more productive and get work done (Photoshop, Premiere, Illustrator, Word, etc) So I'd probably get a Surface 2 instead.

That's easy. With 170 Million iPads already sold, Apple will sell more iPads next year than PS4 + Xbone + Wii U combined.

as in the new ones.

And yeah, hope not many people are taking me title seriously... but yeah its a bit tough on the wallet this fall.

780 ti vs next gen console vs new ipad for my ~$500 or so of fun budget.

~~Hasan~~

i am going to buy the mini.

the 10 is too big to hold in 1 hand when you are in bed etc.

but i wana see how thin the air compared to the mini. if its much thinner, then fuck it. i will buy the air.

I love how they always show their products from these angles. They always taper them off at the edges to make it feel thinner than it actually is, because you won't be grabbing the fat bit.

For a good example, look at the Macbook Air.

Yeah. The iPhone has an even surface, so it's a superior design

Hattori

Banned
Would have bought one in Sept. when I was wavering a bit on my preorder, now not so much, they waited too long.

I've had every single iPad but I'm thinking about getting a mini this time. With the same specs & the fact I can get cellular for $30 more than a regular wifi Air it's hard to not think twice about it.

bob page

My iPad 3 is struggling with iOS 7. Must've been Apple's plan so I could want to upgrade. Maybe I will, not sure yet.

Because iPad 2 is >= iPad 3 in performance. Insides couldn't handle the screen.

The iPad 3 isn't for sale anymore though. And the iPad 2 is still $399. Doesn't really compute to me.

What happened to the days when Apple took pride in not releasing a million different SKUs? Now we have the iPad 2, iPad mini, iPad mini retina, and iPad Air?

weevles

I don't think this model alone will bump sales much. Other than the form factor, the performance is the same as the previous version. The growth period of the tablet market seems to be over. I think if Jobs were still around, Apple would be already looking at the next big innovation, but with the current company management, I'm not sure that is happening.

VanWinkle

Really curious which sells more, ipads or next gen consoles in 1 year.

No you're not. You, being a massive iOS fan, know how much iPads sell, and you know that they are a portable multipurpose device for everyone, so you know that it will sell more than a gaming console.

Top Bottom