• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cancel your preorders. iPad Air (aka iPad 5) and iPad Mini Retina announced.

- J - D -

Can this new one handle gaf's gif-heavy browsing experience? My iPad 2 buckles under the weight of the dozen Antonio Banderas gifs in practically every page of every gaming thread.

Broank

I still have an ipad 2 , may upgrade to this sometime next year.

I actually thought I lost my ipad 2 for a while then found it in a beach bag a couple weeks ago. Still gets the job done good enough for what i do with it, although the battery isn't what it used to be.

Shai-Tan

Banned
to this day i don't know why i would want an ipad...or any other tablet really. what do you guys use it for mostly? why is it worth $500?

Browsing, internet appliance, games, video, book reading. Just more convenient to move around the house with than a laptop. The categories kind of blend together though. Some people with huge phones probably feel less of a need for a tablet. My phone is an iPhone 4 with a teeny screen so most of that stuff would be painful to do.

Vooduu

These are basically gaming consoles for the new generation of kiddos. Don't believe? Think I'm wrong? How many kids do you see playing games on iPads versus handhelds?

Apple will move more iPads than all the next gen consoles combined by next year.

My aunt is buying her 10 and 7 year old iPad mini's for Christmas. Yeesh.

r5Q7qsK.gif
It actually looks like he's saying "canceling the pre-nup".

Also lol @ "STARTING" at $500.

MCN

Banned
What kind of idiot bought last year's iPad mini when it was blatantly obvious they'd be following it up this year with a Retina version? That's how Apple work these days. Release something with a shit resolution first, then next year reveal a Retina version.

No thanks. iPads are a waste of money no matter how you slice it. Its a jack of all trades but a master of none. They're designed to only last a few years. Their operating system is extremely close ended. I don't see why people dont just get a laptop instead. Is it because of the touch screen gimmick?

Shai-Tan

Banned
Actually a more serious reason may be that funds are limited and the PS4 library's going to take awhile to gain momentum whereas the iPad's immediately very useful. So if you only want to make one leisurely multi hundred dollar purchase, yeah, iPad now and PS4 next year could be smartest. Then again it's not like there won't be an even better iPad next year, and the PS4 will at best have a small price drop.

Yeah, I'm not getting one right away. I think I'm good with all the devices I've got right now though. I think this is the perfect time to get an iPad for people who don't have a tablet or have an older one like ipad 2. If you're price sensitive and aren't too excited about most tablet games though you might consider an Android tablet.

Cornbread78

Oh, Square-Enix has got to be super excited right now.... Praise be the apple gods...

200.gif

this is how SE treats us on this one...

Eusis

What? Really?
Depending on what you want to do you'll definitely be feeling the need to upgrade. It's kind of like PC gaming in the late 90s right now with constant rapid jumps where graphic cards that were badass become practically worthless a year or two later. Hopefully we're reaching or even HAVE reached the point where a new tablet/phone will still hold its own years later even with most of the latest high end software.
Yeah, I'm not getting one right away. I think I'm good with all the devices I've got right now though. I think this is the perfect time to get one for people who don't have a tablet or have an older one like ipad 2.
I do have a Nexus 7 from last year, but I've been getting annoyed by some aspects and iOS just has better software support period. Stuff like Smartglass is a joke on Android versus iOS or Windows 8.

Dahaka

Hold on its own years later? It won't. The tablet market is one of the most exploitable markets unlike desktop PCs. They will not stop shitting out tablets frequently.

Depending on what you want to do you'll definitely be feeling the need to upgrade. It's kind of like PC gaming in the late 90s right now with constant rapid jumps where graphic cards that were badass become practically worthless a year or two later. Hopefully we're reaching or even HAVE reached the point where a new tablet/phone will still hold its own years later even with most of the latest high end software.

Nope. My three year old iPod is considered ancient by mobile standards and can't run iOS 7 since apple made a boneheaded descision and designed it to be optimised for only the latest hardware.

No thanks. iPads are a waste of money no matter how you slice it. Its a jack of all trades but a master of none. They're designed to only last a few years. Their operating system is extremely close ended. I don't see why people dont just get a laptop instead. Is it because of the touch screen gimmick?

having used tablets and laptops and desktops. For my post college life, laptops are utterly useless for me. I have a work laptop which is docked 100% of the time. Desktop at home for gaming.

tablets are great for when you just wanna watch some youtube videos on the couch or bed.

That just doesn't work out so well with a laptop blowing hot air at your balls.

Vooduu

Anybody born from after 2000 LOVE Apple products and especially iPads. We all know this to be true. Why get a laptop when all you need are games, social media, and internet browsing in a smaller, slimmer, and good looking package?

Edit: ABC down below has the right idea.

GJS

I honestly wasn't too impressed by this.

A7 + lighter = ipad air

- don't care

retina on the mini is nice, but for $400??? get the hell outta here

But it's basically the ipad air spec wise in a smaller form factor from all the information we have so far, making it too much cheaper doesn't make sense.

So what's the difference between them?

iPad Air / iPad 5:

Retina display:
9.7-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit Multi-Touch display with IPS technology
2048-by-1536 resolution at 264 pixels per inch (ppi)
Fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating

A7 chip with 64-bit architecture and M7 motion coprocessor

Height: 9.4 inches (240 mm)
Width: 6.6 inches (169.5 mm)
Depth: 0.29 inch (7.5 mm)
Weight: 1 pound (469 g) / 1.05 pounds (478 g)

FaceTime HD Camera: 1.2MP photos / 720p HD video
Video Recording: 1080p HD
iSight Camera: 5MP photos

Built-in 32.4-watt-hour rechargeable lithium-polymer battery
Up to 10 hours of surfing the web on Wi-Fi, watching video, or listening to music
Up to 9 hours of surfing the web using cellular data network

Wifi:

16GB $499
32GB $599
64GB $699
128GB $799

Wifi + Cellular:

16GB $629
32GB $729
64GB $829
128GB $929

iPad Mini with Retina Display:

Retina display:
7.9-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit Multi-Touch display with IPS technology
2048-by-1536 resolution at 326 pixels per inch (ppi)
Fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating

A7 chip with 64-bit architecture and M7 motion coprocessor

Height: 7.87 inches (200 mm)
Width: 5.3 inches (134.7 mm)
Depth: 0.29 inch (7.5 mm)
Weight: 0.73 pound (331 g) / 0.75 pound (341 g)

FaceTime HD Camera: 1.2MP photos / 720p HD video
Video Recording: 1080p HD
iSight Camera: 5MP photos

Built-in 23.8-watt-hour rechargeable lithium-polymer battery
Up to 10 hours of surfing the web on Wi‑Fi, watching video, or listening to music
Up to 9 hours of surfing the web using cellular data network

Wifi:

16GB $399
32GB $499
64GB $599
128GB $699

Wifi + Cellular:

16GB $529
32GB $629
64GB $729
128GB $829

Shai-Tan

Banned

It's not so much the graphics, it's things like Oculus Rift. I'm thinking wait and see on the Rift (and a new video card to support it) before I get a new one of these more-of-the-same devices.

Gamerloid

Portability is better than a laptop.
Battery is better than most laptops.
iOS is a very well made OS regardless of being open or closed. Windows 8 isn't exactly appealing to the general public.

Touch screens for devices such as tablets and phones aren't a gimmick. Laptop touch screens are however.

It blows my mind how $500 is considered acceptable for tablets when a PS4 can cost $400.
iPads can be used for work and education, not just games and media like the PS4 and Xbox One. iPad has some really outstanding productivity apps that I've need to use for my classes.

dock

f07lppO.jpg

I just picked up the iPhone 5S with the similar CPU/GPU technology, and I've been really impressed with the graphics performance on games that need them. Asphalt 8, despite being a Gameloft game, feels a lot like a 360 game to me in terms of graphics.

Gameplay, however, is super basic. iOS games are lovely, but it's a different type of gaming.

Derrick01

Banned
It blows my mind how $500 is considered acceptable for tablets when a PS4 can cost $400.

It's all about how you groom the market. Apple convinced people that tablets are necessary even when they're not. I could only dream of having that power.

KHlover

Banned
Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 has 339ppi. What is better, 2560x1600@339ppi or 2048x1536@264ppi? At this point I'm just confused. Any reason I should spend almost 2x the price (probably even more in Germany) of the HDX 8.9 for the iPad5?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area

you do realize the insane difference in volume between the two devices, right? And that there is a greater-than-HD screen included?

Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 has 339ppi. What is better, 2560x1600@339ppi or 2048x1536@264ppi? At this point I'm just confused. Any reason I should spend almost 2x the price (probably even more in Germany) of the HDX 8.9 for the iPad5?

Depends on what for. To be fair (and not many would argue) the Kindle HDX is not an "android tablet". It's a device designed almost solely around consuming content from Amazon. If Amazon and web content is all you need/want, then the HDX is a great device. If you even want Android tablet/phone apps, the Kindle HDX is VERY hamstrung.. You can only easily load Amazon App Store apps. Google Play is not available and much more difficult to get apps from.

I'm buying the iPad Air day one for sure. But like with all my other iOS devices I will not play a single game on it.

Can't stand it.

SystemsGo

Banned
Looks nice, but you know the next Ipad will come out next year around the same time and will make the Ipad Air look like shit. So hesitant to buy tablets and smartphones these days because of the constant upgrades.

something i've noticed having used ipad 2 and own a mini 1st gen. The weight and size hardly matters when you slap on a case. Depends on what you get, it can easily double/triple the thickness and weight... so thinking from that perspective, Air might be the better device with the added screen (not sure if the extra $100 is worth it though).

Depends on what you want. iOS has a vastly superior ecosystem and quite often gets apps exclusively or way earlier than android (and more often than not perform better than android equivalent even though android stuff often have better hardware). Android tablets also are notorious for having few tablet specific apps where most are just upscaled phone apps.

But if you use a tablet mainly for media consumption, like netflix or youtube. a Fire is all you need.

Wow a new ipad that looks, feels and is a new ipad... But thinner.... But the same!!!

Thanks no. Will keep my ipad I am on now and spend the money on.......next gen!!

Won't stop millions buying the in droves though

Top Bottom