• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CAPCOM CUP 2016 | Fighting Game Tournament | Dec 2-3 | WHENS MAHVEL?

I feel like Du's been on an entirely other level than all the other players for a few months now. I predicted he'd take the tournament but I didn't think Infilitration, Justin Wong and other notable players would go 0-2, but in a tournament of this caliber there's no shame in it.

As soon as I saw Infil play I knew that dude was done. He refuses to change his style and it's not working.

Du is winning because he's putting in the work. He has a Guile and Mika. Both have changed dramatically since he started playing. He's playing SFV and understands how to keep up both sides of the coin.

All this makes me excited for next year. I'm betting people are going to learn more than one character, and you are gonna see people switch up their shit like Du did.

I feel like Du's been on an entirely other level than all the other players for a few months now. I predicted he'd take the tournament but I didn't think Infilitration, Justin Wong and other notable players would go 0-2, but in a tournament of this caliber there's no shame in it.

If I think about it logically, the sanest option is Du. I just think it's more exciting for the less sane option to pan out. I mean, I was pulling for Justin from the beginning, but looking at it historically, it's not really a surprise that he went 0-2. Looking at how everyone has been playing, especially with who's been eliminated, Du seems like a shoe-in. I think that makes it less hype for me. I felt the same way about Evo. The grand finals were fantastic, but the fact that it was Infiltration, who had been so dominant up until then, just made it less exciting.

Coda

If I think about it logically, the sanest option is Du. I just think it's more exciting for the less sane option to pan out. I mean, I was pulling for Justin from the beginning, but looking at it historically, it's not really a surprise that he went 0-2. Looking at how everyone has been playing, especially with who's been eliminated, Du seems like a shoe-in. I think that makes it less hype for me. I felt the same way about Evo. The grand finals were fantastic, but the fact that it was Infiltration, who had been so dominant up until then, just made it less exciting.

I hear you, if I had to pick a favorite for winning it'd be Fuudo mainly because I'd love to see him claw his way out of losers. I have always enjoyed watching his Fei Long play back in the SF IV days and his R. Mika play is more risk based than KnuckleDu's more solid/consistent R. Mika play. I think he deserves winning a big tournament again as it's been too long since he's really gone all out. He's a great player with a lot of hidden and unique tech so I'd love to see that showcased and acknowledged.

While Fuudo is also very strong and has great fundamentals, Du just plays on this crazy mental game and his hit confirms and shimmies are stupid good. If one of these players can somehow break his rhythm they may have a chance.

My mistake, I should have quoted TheSpoiler lol. It's not gonna happen now, but next year is certainly a possibility.

Next year is gonna be more pocket characters, all players learning that they need to be more aggressive and coming out with brand new styles, and with the possible changes to the V system?

Fucking hell.

This has already been a great year and eye opening as fuck. What a ride.

I don't think Du is going to take it clean. He's great, but I think he needs another few years like the older crowd has. If you look at the bracket, there's a reason why all those players are there - they adjusted to V properly. I think Du is gonna have issues with MOV if that dude can stay on the same pace as him, and he'll probably face either Ricki or Hatiani after that. The former's fooities are ridiculous, and the latter's hit confirms while still being in your face aren't going to make it easy for Du.

I hear you, if I had to pick a favorite for winning it'd be Fuudo mainly because I'd love to see him claw his way out of losers. I have always enjoyed watching his Fei Long play back in the SF IV days and his R. Mika play is more risk based than KnuckleDu's more solid/consistent R. Mika play. I think he deserves winning a big tournament again as it's been too long since he's really gone all out. He's a great player with a lot of hidden and unique tech so I'd love to see that showcased and acknowledged.

While Fuudo is also very strong and has great fundamentals, Du just plays on this crazy mental game and his hit confirms and shimmies are stupid good. If one of these players can somehow break his rhythm they may have a chance.

Yeah, Fuudo is another good select. I wish I would have seen him play more, his Mika is so dirty and clean at the same time lol.

jett

D-Member
Man that Du reset is much more difficult to pull off than it looked. Can't get the timing down as perfect as Du's.

You know what the worst part of Tokido's performance was?

That the awesome screen of him with the Akuma back kanji glowing and everything only got used twice.

I'm really pleasantly surprised Ricki made top 8 with this insanely packed killer's field. That's an amazing feat in itself. I don't expect her to make it too much further but I'm definitely rooting for her. I love an underdog.

Dahbomb

Really liking America's chances today!

Oh man an American Capcom Cup win plus Marvel 4/Marvel 3 port announcement would make this the best day of the year!

After my engagement day of course, don't kill me my dear!

pixelish

nuckledu already messing mov's head on twitter
CyxDFzDUQAACWTK.jpg

Is this when the final game start or the finals as in top 8 ?

Because that was when the last games were ending "yesterday"
Yesterday the games started at around 10:00 AM in the morning and ended at 11 PM- 12AM at night. That's because they had a whole top 32 to get through with all of them being 3/5, done one by one and streamed.

This time it's just top 8 so it'll go a LOT quicker.

Coda

They have been really good at uploading to Youtube immediately. I'm not going to stay up till 7 am or whatever...

Nice I'll do the same, gonna be checking this shit like crazy though for the Mahvellll and Season 2 announcements.

myco666

They have been really good at uploading to Youtube immediately. I'm not going to stay up till 7 am or whatever...

But I want to watch it live lol. I am probably going to just put my alarm on 4.30am so I can sleep even couple of hours before it starts. If I feel like shit then I am just going to watch it from YT.

Has any player levelled up as much as NuckleDu? My boy went from being destroyed by Marn back in NCR to being the favorite to win the entire Capcom Cup, and handing Xiao Hai his ass twice.

ScribbleD

Justin is saying the build at PSX has a whole lot of S2 character adjustments.

Karin:

Karin Season 2 at PSX.
St.LK is +1 on block
V Reversal sends them full screen
Air target combo (lol)
Jab reset there but no 50/50 mixup

Chun:

Chun can do cr LK into legs... lmao
Chun lk is 3 frames.... WHAT!?!?!?! Lmao omg.

Skab

There are a bunch more changes posted all over the SFV thread, if anyone is curious enough to look through the last few pages. Mika probably dead.

What time do the finals start tonight? A hour and a half from now?

There are a bunch more changes posted all over the SFV thread, if anyone is curious enough to look through the last few pages. Mika probably dead.

What time do the finals start tonight? A hour and a half from now?

Opening ceremony at 6pm Pacific, tourney at 6:30pm Pacific. So 9/9:30pm Eastern.

jett

D-Member
I hope either Fuudo or Du wins, if only because this will literally be the last tournament that Mika ever again has a chance of winning.

trixx

Like to see nuckledu win. Would be cool if fuudo or haitani come up on top though.

The thing about this tournament though was that if you seen tokido and infil lose in first round you probably thought you had one hell of a chance at winning this thing. Would be rough for a guy like xiao hai. Not to say others are bad, not even close but that those two have been a huge problem throughout the year.

I wonder if we will see some more consistent results after the patch. But since there's so many great competitive players that have chances of winning it's hard to say. I just thought there would be more dominant players in 5 like smash games where there are clear top players that usually shoe ins for top 8s
But the game is still new so we'll see.

xCobalt

I hope the stream actually picks up audience noise. Tournaments are so dull without the hype. It shouldn't be an issue when there was just a conference hours prior.

Top Bottom