• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CAPCOM CUP 2016 | Fighting Game Tournament | Dec 2-3 | WHENS MAHVEL?

Venfayth

K-Brad has been doing really well lately, I had him beating Daigo in my bracket. I thought Infil would go down pretty early as well, but not round 1. No way I thought Tokido would lose to DR Ray. This has been a crazy tournament.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Was at a company holiday party yesterday so I missed out on the first day, and it appears there were a lot of upsets? :O

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Haitani is my man tonight. If he loses, than Du has to save this tournament from all those Chuns (and Nash).
Haitani is the last 2D god left and he played really well so far. So yeah, I would like him, too.

Was at a company holiday party yesterday so I missed out on the first day, and it appears there were a lot of upsets? :O
It's the Upset Cup, basically

jett

D-Member
Do

Da

Du

During Daigo's last match he started just mashing wake up dps and didn't learn that they weren't working lol. It was a very sad sight to see. He didn't seem like himself at all really for the whole tournament.

His reactions were also poor (by his own standards). He mistakenly "confirmed" a super on block. I don't think I ever saw Daigo do that on SF4. I don't know what's up with this dude. Doesn't he boast of training every day?

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
The wake-up dp is a mindgame, not a good indicator of quality of play. Like we saw a couple of round winning wake-up CAs. It's just a big bet.

Maybe I'm just getting old but the tea bagging thing really turns me off Du in a big way, just seems insanely juvenile. But I guess that's what other people see as the "personality" that Jp players apparently lack...?

Do

Da

Du

His reactions were also poor (by his own standards). He mistakenly "confirmed" a super on block. I don't think I ever saw Daigo do that on SF4. I don't know what's up with this dude. Doesn't he boast of training every day?

I think he's gotten old enough to where reactions aren't what they used to be. It happens to everyone eventually.

sinkfla87

The wake-up dp is a mindgame, not a good indicator of quality of play. Like we saw a couple of round winning wake-up CAs. It's just a big bet.

That's true, it's just he bet poorly several times in a row lol. It's like Jett said, his reactions were just poor by his own standards. I like Daigo too so it was hard to watch.

FluxWaveZ

Maybe I'm just getting old but the tea bagging thing really turns me off Du in a big way, just seems insanely juvenile. But I guess that's what other people see as the "personality" that Jp players apparently lack...?

It's rude and impolite, but it's also true that it is psychological warfare when done against an opponent like that on the big stage. When one of your powers is getting inside your opponent's head to play at your maximum (things that both Mika and Guile must do and excel at), it can actually be useful.

When an opponent gets visibly flustered through their playstyle, man that's a good feeling when playing as either of NuckleDu's main characters.

It's rude and impolite, but it's also true that it is psychological warfare when done against an opponent like that on the big stage. When one of your powers is getting inside your opponent's head to play at your maximum (things that both Mika and Guile must do and excel at), it can actually be useful.

Yeah good point, evident in the destruction of Xiao Hai taking on his Mika compared to Fuudo's. I guess thinking about it as a tool makes it slightly more palatable.

firelogic

bold prediction

I wish I put money on it, hahah. Infiltration hasn't looked sharp since early this year when the game was still new. Yes he won Evo but even that I didn't consider a dominant performance. A lot of the top Japanese players inexplicably lost early on and he never faced them (not counting Fuudo). Of course that's not Infil's fault but I didn't understand why everyone considered him head and shoulders above everybody else, even right before Capcom Cup started. I didn't subscribe to the theory that he was simply sandbagging. People figured him out a while ago and he didn't adapt or switch characters. His constant movement threw people for a loop initially but all his craziness and constantly hitting buttons wasn't fooling anybody in the second half of the year.

Infiltration - Mago is a match I look forward to, should they both win their first match. Last time Infil picked Balrog against him (and got 3-0d iirc) and I want to see what he would try now.

Oh and after the match he said
"I don't care about money," Infiltration said. "I just want to test before Capcom Cup." (from eventhubs)

You got your wish!

Platy

Went to sleep last night and now my girl Ricki has real chance of winning this ?

"rare footage of ricki actualy angry" indeed

New002

Do

Da

Du

He's continuing to age.

Goodstyle

Man, I knew when Haitani sent Kazunoko down into losers that Xian wouldn't make top 8. I know Xian would have won against Haitani, but FANG loses every time against Cammy.

He's continuing to age.

Nah the age thing ain't the problem. There are other players around his age that are doing better overall. He straight up refuses to play SFV the way it should be played.

Dude is too defensive. It's not working for him. He's trying to hang it all on one side of the spectrum when SFV is requiring players to be able to switch back and forth from offense to defense.

I think Tokido's Ryu is better than his and is probably how Ryu should be played, but Tokido lacks the matchup knowledge (as soon as he ran into Vega, he froze).

I think a lot of players are having trouble transitioning from SF4 and still feel like it's appropriate to be a wall 24/7, but you pretty much have to learn how to switch that shit on and off at a moment's notice. This tournament was a wakeup call for a lot of people.

True. It's not like these are the best players in the world at the very top level of play.

After seeing all the Chuns, I'd watch it even if it was several mirror matches. Everyone plays differently. Ricki's Chun has crazy footies, but I really like Sako's execution on his (RIP)

XenoRaven

Nah the age thing ain't the problem. There are other players around his age that are doing better overall. He straight up refuses to play SFV the way it should be played.

Dude is too defensive. It's not working for him. He's trying to hang it all on one side of the spectrum when SFV is requiring players to be able to switch back and forth from offense to defense.

I think Tokido's Ryu is better than his and is probably how Ryu should be played, but Tokido lacks the matchup knowledge (as soon as he ran into Vega, he froze).

I think a lot of players are having trouble transitioning from SF4 and still feel like it's appropriate to be a wall 24/7, but you pretty much have to learn how to switch that shit on and off at a moment's notice. This tournament was a wakeup call for a lot of people.

After seeing all the Chuns, I'd watch it even if it was several mirror matches. Everyone plays differently. Ricki's Chun has crazy footies, but I really like Sako's execution on his (RIP)
Ricki vs Goichi last night was a fun watch for sure.

My brain is telling me to root for Du, but my heart is telling me to root for Ricki. I think part of me just likes seeing an underdog come out on top.

Coda

My brain is telling me to root for Du, but my heart is telling me to root for Ricki. I think part of me just likes seeing an underdog come out on top.

I feel like Du's been on an entirely other level than all the other players for a few months now. I predicted he'd take the tournament but I didn't think Infilitration, Justin Wong and other notable players would go 0-2, but in a tournament of this caliber there's no shame in it.

Top Bottom