• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom says it’s ‘considering’ how to make Mega Man games on a regular basis

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire
megaman11_keyart_png_jpgcopy-1024x576.jpg

Speaking during the question and answer portion of its 45th ordinary general shareholders meeting, when asked about plans for the franchise, Capcom responded:

“Mega Man is one of our highly-valued IPs and we are considering how to create games for it on an ongoing basis.”

Source - VGC

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Give it to a young newer team that grew up playing Mega Man. Use an engine like Unreal that can be updated over time, and not internally.

After the success of Mega Man 11, it's crazy they didn't figure how to manage the franchise, they just milked the old games, the easy route. I get Mega Man it's small compared to other Capcom IPs but still. We should be talking about Mega Man 12, X9, Legends and Star Force Collections already and not this.

Rran

Mega Man 11 was very good, except for the lame music. Just do more of that and some HD sprite-based Mega Man X sequels. Do one of each per generation and I'll be happy. They don't need to be annual and they probably shouldn't be.

It’s time to make Megman a metroidvania. Gatekeep the progress behind earning new abilities from bosses.
Mega Man ZX kind of did this. It was okay.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Honestly? Do a megaman 1-3 remaster with modern visuals, and throw in speed run leaderboards, new bosses, etc.

Then do the same with MMX 1-3.

Then do it with MMLegends 1&2.

—-

From here you can reboot megaman with a new franchise/look. Just follow their RE games formula of how they’ve released.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Interesting little fact, not only was Megaman Legends 2 unfinished, but so was the start of the game, because it was given away as a Japanese exclusive demo disc.

Last edited:

Comandr

Honestly? Do a megaman 1-3 remaster with modern visuals, and throw in speed run leaderboards, new bosses, etc.

Then do the same with MMX 1-3.

Then do it with MMLegends 1&2.

—-

From here you can reboot megaman with a new franchise/look. Just follow their RE games formula of how they’ve released.
Eh... No. Meganman Powered Up and Maverick Hunter X already demonstrated how poorly these things age. I really hated the look of MM11. MM1-3 already got updated with "modern" visuals decades ago in Wily Wars. I think something like that could be an idea, but jesus, please don't go to 3D models. So much of these games' charm and replayability comes from the presentation and excellent sprite work.

mystech

As much as I appreciate a good 2D (or 2.5D) side scroller MM game, I really hope they branch out. I definitely wouldn’t be opposed to a reboot of the old Megaman Battle Network series or a full 3D platformer.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
They should just hire the Mega Man Maker folks and turn that into a real product.

Variahunter

I only want 2 things :

- Megaman X9

- A new 3D third-person Megaman staring at least Megaman and Zero playable, as an action / Metroidvania game with a city hub as in Megaman Legends.

Last edited:

AngelMuffin

The latest Mega Man game was ok but was overly complex in its game play mechanics. Every time I gat the itch to play a MM game, it’s either MM2/3 for NES or MMX for the SNES. Keep the gameplay mechanics at the MM3 level and develop creative platform levels with rocking soundtracks. That’s the key to success with these games.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
MML3 and sequel to ZX: Advent would be nice.

But they pretty much left Megaman to rot so I doubt anything they put out will be any good.

Bloobs

Al Pachinko, Konami President
I know we've got 20XX and 30XX but its just not the same. Make a roguelike Capcom, preferably in Hades fashion.

diffusionx

Gold Member
It's strange they haven't done Mega Man Legends Collection yet, because the BN/X/regular ones were big hits.

MML aesthetic is now in style too.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
young newer team

that grew up playing Mega Man

Dude, the halcyon days of Megaman were 30 years ago. There’s no “young” people who grew up playing good MM games anymore.

11 was good. Short-lived, but good. MM9 was peak classic 2D MM and, sorry everyone, the only excellent X game was the first. X3 onward was one of the saddest downward spirals in gaming, and X7 was a disgrace. Keep anime storylines away from games based on good, simple gameplay - should be simple to understand, but apparently it’s not.

We don’t need yearly Megaman again, but not letting the IP rot would be nice. Start remastering the Legends series with some QoL features, then we can talk about new games.

Top Bottom