• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom says it’s ‘considering’ how to make Mega Man games on a regular basis

They need co-op after 20XX and 30XX beat them to the punch. Outdone by indie devs and the 30XX team still updates their game for free.

Could even monetize it with skins and keep it going for a long time.

peronmls

MMLegends 3 would be a start but wouldn't be the same without Inafune. Pretty sure that was the one game he was passionate about working on.

poodaddy

Gold Member
Third person, open world, roguelite where your racing against a 5 hour clock.
vomit GIF

Hudo

After having made Mega Man Legends 3, how about making Mega Man Legends X?

A Mega Man Legends game set in the X universe/timeline.

Thought about this a bit more because my brother and I were talking about this not too long ago.

Having recently played some more action heavy metroidvainas, games like Afterimage, Ghost Song, Touhou Luna Nights, and others, I think taking mega man in a Metroidvaina direction could be really amazing.

You can still keep, let’s say 8 bosses, and absorb their powers as you go, but now the boss powers are weapons and/or abilities that help you and fight traverse the map. The maps can be roughly divided into 8 areas for each boss,
And you can still have the multi stage “Wiley fortress” area as well. There’s also those Dr.Light Canisters from Mega Man X which power up your armor in that game, but could be put to all sorts of uses in a metroidvania setting. Could be a way to make it so bosses always give you a weapon, and other upgrades come from the “canisters/tubes”

Other action heavy games have shown and both projectile combat and melee combat have huge room for various gameplay mechanics, counter mechanics can be nice and satisfying, as well as all the usual shit like dodging, etc

And of course plenty of platforming, wall jumping, etc the foundations of all those moves have been in since like mega man 2, and mega man X just dialed it all up to 11.

I know it would certainly may get my attention if they did a mega man in this style. And it can be sprite based! And sorry but none of that horrible NES shit, we either go MMX style or MM7/ Power Fighters style

LNLCpo3.gif

1uuv8Mk.jpeg

tOCMiLq.png

LiidNAS.png

I can’t tell you how disappointed I was when MM9 came out and they went back to NES style.
I grew up with that shit, it’s not hip and retro imo, it looks like garbage from limited technology, and was just the best they could do back then.

Just finished the original for the first time a few days ago. Loved it !

I’m going to play MMX after MM2 but is the next big tech leap after that and into the current era (aswell as being good) MM11? I’m just looking to cherry pick the series.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Thought about this a bit more because my brother and I were talking about this not too long ago.

Having recently played some more action heavy metroidvainas, games like Afterimage, Ghost Song, Touhou Luna Nights, and others, I think taking mega man in a Metroidvaina direction could be really amazing.

You can still keep, let’s say 8 bosses, and absorb their powers as you go, but now the boss powers are weapons and/or abilities that help you and fight traverse the map. The maps can be roughly divided into 8 areas for each boss,
And you can still have the multi stage “Wiley fortress” area as well. There’s also those Dr.Light Canisters from Mega Man X which power up your armor in that game, but could be put to all sorts of uses in a metroidvania setting. Could be a way to make it so bosses always give you a weapon, and other upgrades come from the “canisters/tubes”

Other action heavy games have shown and both projectile combat and melee combat have huge room for various gameplay mechanics, counter mechanics can be nice and satisfying, as well as all the usual shit like dodging, etc

And of course plenty of platforming, wall jumping, etc the foundations of all those moves have been in since like mega man 2, and mega man X just dialed it all up to 11.

I know it would certainly may get my attention if they did a mega man in this style. And it can be sprite based! And sorry but none of that horrible NES shit, we either go MMX style or MM7/ Power Fighters style

LNLCpo3.gif

1uuv8Mk.jpeg

tOCMiLq.png

LiidNAS.png

I can’t tell you how disappointed I was when MM9 came out and they went back to NES style.
I grew up with that shit, it’s not hip and retro imo, it looks like garbage from limited technology, and was just the best they could do back then.
Enough metroidvanias for a lifetime around, no need to make Megaman another one.

Text-neck Megaman from 7 was always horrible. Keep the 16-bit style if you need to, but for the love of goodness redesign the poor guy.
Just a note though, the classic gameplay simply didn’t work as well in MM7 and 8. Both games were sensibly slower compared to the NES games. There’s a reason they put the dash in MMX.

Enough metroidvanias for a lifetime around, no need to make Megaman another one.

Text-neck Megaman from 7 was always horrible. Keep the 16-bit style if you need to, but for the love of goodness redesign the poor guy.
Just a note though, the classic gameplay simply didn’t work as well in MM7 and 8. Both games were sensibly slower compared to the NES games. There’s a reason they put the dash in MMX.

I could do with a few more \_0_/

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I think for sure a modern mega man could look the part, potentially triple A it’s a franchise that has been “left out” of modern gaming for a very very long time…

Astral Dog

I just hope its not another rehash of the claassic series ,im sick of those.(i find it the least interesting)

No doubt MegaMan will come back eventually, but Keiji Inafune was actually the main creative force driving the latest series,Megaman Zero / Battle Network + their sequels(wanted to make Legends 3) ,and clearly Capcom is lost what to do with the IP since he left

Last edited:
Top Bottom