• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom seems to be censoring all of the games in their new "Collections" of old games

jcorb

This genuinely upsets me.

I've been so stoked to see Capcom announcing all these awesome collections lately, but it has really been tempered by seeing that they're altering animations and endings for almost all of these old games, presumably to remove any scantily-clad female characters.

This seems to align with their stance of more recent Capcom games shying away from sexualizing female characters. Which for newer games, makes sense as that's sort of where "the industry" is at unfortunately. The new Dead Rising remake has turned Frank West into a middle-aged doofus (as opposed to a mid-20's doofus), and it's already pretty apparent they're scaling back on the scantily-clad zombies that once populated the game.

But when you're selling players on these original experiences, I think it's incredibly slimy to make alterations to those games in the name of appealing to "modern audiences". Fact is, whatever your thoughts are, those animations and endings are part of those original games, and likely part of what lent them their charm.

That stuff is juvenile, for sure. But these are video games; it should be okay to have games that are a little juvenile. With as shitty as the real world has been on folks the past few years, some of us might enjoy the escapism of not having to take everything so goddamn seriously all the time.

I really, REALLY hope Blizzard gives some thought into just having some kind of "mature content filter" toggle or something in the options, because we should be able to enjoy these games as they were, not alter them to suit modern sensibilities.

EDIT:

Here's the official site for the most recent collection; click on any of the games, almost all of them mention altered animations or endings under changes:

Last edited:

poodaddy

Gold Member
Celebrate Happy Hour GIF by Arrow Video

Completely agreed. All censorship of art is fuckin disgusting.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I'm not buying them anyway because I own the arcade or Dreamcast versions of this stuff, but it is disheartening to see companies act like this stuff is verboten. Who does this honestly help? Will you sell any more copies than you otherwise would have? It's stupid. Those "imperfections" or whatever you want to call them are part of the game's artistic flair. Keep it, and fuck off.

The whole term MADE FOR MODERN AUDIENCES is nothing more than catering to a certain group of weirdos. Making sure the wrong people aren’t offended while pissing off the main group that supports these games in the first place. Yes that is what this whole idiotic Modern Audience shite is all about.

Success

This genuinely upsets me.

I've been so stoked to see Capcom announcing all these awesome collections lately, but it has really been tempered by seeing that they're altering animations and endings for almost all of these old games, presumably to remove any scantily-clad female characters.

This seems to align with their stance of more recent Capcom games shying away from sexualizing female characters. Which for newer games, makes sense as that's sort of where "the industry" is at unfortunately. The new Dead Rising remake has turned Frank West into a middle-aged doofus (as opposed to a mid-20's doofus), and it's already pretty apparent they're scaling back on the scantily-clad zombies that once populated the game.

But when you're selling players on these original experiences, I think it's incredibly slimy to make alterations to those games in the name of appealing to "modern audiences". Fact is, whatever your thoughts are, those animations and endings are part of those original games, and likely part of what lent them their charm.

That stuff is juvenile, for sure. But these are video games; it should be okay to have games that are a little juvenile. With as shitty as the real world has been on folks the past few years, some of us might enjoy the escapism of not having to take everything so goddamn seriously all the time.

I really, REALLY hope Blizzard gives some thought into just having some kind of "mature content filter" toggle or something in the options, because we should be able to enjoy these games as they were, not alter them to suit modern sensibilities.

OP show some evidence, screenshots, videos, etc or go cry somewhere else.

Because at the moment, you sound like you are raving at the sky without evidence.

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
I would've said age ratings are stricter now, but that doesn't account for changes like we've seen in M-Rated games such as RE4. The Dead Rising Deluxe changes are so heavy-handed and obnoxious that I did a 180 on buying the game.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I always thought Frank was late 30's
Nowhere near mid 20's, but then again he probably didn't look any different in his 20's.
As for the censorship....I ain't calling it that.
Censorship implies that theres a case for it to be censored, There's not.
A little joke or some female skin and it's offensive.
But stuff that's taboo or you must have something mentality wrong with you to enjoy?
All Good 👍

jcorb

OP show some evidence, screenshots, videos, etc or go cry somewhere else.

Because at the moment, you sound like you are raving at the sky without evidence.

Fair enough!

It's all on the recent sites:

Click on most of the games in the collection, they all mention altered animations and/or endings. The same is true of the MvC collection as well.

kunonabi

I would've said age ratings are stricter now, but that doesn't account for changes like we've seen in M-Rated games such as RE4. The Dead Rising Deluxe changes are so heavy-handed and obnoxious that I did a 180 on buying the game.
I can't imagine age ratings being an issue either. I really don't know what midnight bliss transformations they're taking out. None of them are that bad and the super isn't graphic at all so the child transformations shouldnt be an issue either. Certainly not compared to Luke ground and pounding Lily in SF6 anyway. The power stone stuff is BS but not completely unexpected if it's what I think it is.

What I really don't get is fucking with CVS1. The stages are the absolute highlight of that game and should not be tampered with.

I got OG copies of all this stuff so I'm just going to stick with those and fightcade for my online needs.

Pejo

Gold Member
If this is true, they can kiss any potential sale to me goodbye.

Are there any comparison shots to show what was removed?

RaduN

Where does it say the changes remove this or that?
I read all changes notes and it says nothing. The Demitri transformations is the only change i could see that may remove "something"? But this was an usual practice back then, with similar small alterations between different regions.

Click on most of the games in the collection, they all mention altered animations and/or endings. The same is true of the MvC collection as well.
"altered animation" doesn't necessary mean censorship. Unless there's some visual evidence, you are just overreacting.

Characters like Morrigan and Mai still has ample boobage in the art.

The 3D PC releases are okay because mods can push lewd content to 11. The compilations of 2D titles is mostly harmless as at most they change a few frames of a sprite or a low res jpeg. The audio and text alterations are very frustrating on the other hand.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
First game I checked in the collection: Capcom Fighting Evolution.

Change:
  • - Removed some character transformations from Demitri's Midnight Bliss.
Now, a quick check of Darkstalkers wiki:

Demitri says "Come on, baby..." and approaches the opponent while holding a rose. If he reaches the opponent, he will bow and the target will transform into a female (if they are male) with a more arousing (or in some cases comedic) appearance.

It's pretty clear that the change was to alter some of the "arousing" female transformations.

The rest of the games have similar notes with various changes.

Danny Dudekisser

Where does it say the changes remove this or that?
I read all changes notes and it says nothing. The Demitri transformations is the only change i could see that may remove "something"? But this was an usual practice back then, with similar small alterations between different regions.

There's been a lot of random changes that they don't go into a ton of detail on. For example, The Punisher removes the Twin Towers from the ending scene in the game. Marvel vs. Capcom and Darkstalkers remove a bunch of random slutty images of Morrigan and Lilith.

Is this stuff gamebreaking? No. But that's not the point. It doesn't have to break the game to be a shitty practice. Those things were part of those games, and removing it in the name of moral sensitivity is a net negative for everyone involved.

Minsc

Gold Member
Just like Square, Capcom now has a more rigid Ethics Department and they have been in touch with a lot of LGBT celebrities like Sphere Hunter.

They might not go full DEI, but you wont be seeing half naked chicks anymore.

Square's FF7 Rebirth puts the main female characters in to pretty revealing bikinis for the entire game on new game + or a good chunk of it first run. Jiggle physics and all. With how they're talked about, kinda surprising to see that.

kunonabi

"altered animation" doesn't necessary mean censorship. Unless there's some visual evidence, you are just overreacting.

Characters like Morrigan and Mai still has ample boobage in the art.
Capcom fighting collection 1 removed sexy art and whole endings so there is no reason not to expect that to be a possibility here. It's possible it's just the Indians from power stone and hinata getting crucified but as of now anything is on the table. The only thing that might not be content related are the stage visuals which could be epilepsy bullshit.

kunonabi

First game I checked in the collection: Capcom Fighting Evolution.

Change:
  • - Removed some character transformations from Demitri's Midnight Bliss.
Now, a quick check of Darkstalkers wiki:

It's pretty clear that the change was to alter some of the "arousing" female transformations.

The rest of the games have similar notes with various changes.

The weird thing is they really aren't that lewd . Like guile and urien's are the only ones I could think of being a problem but even those are a stretch. Those transformations are sadly like the highlight of that game for most people so it's really stupid to mess with them.

Danny Dudekisser

Japan is super cucked right now. No surprise Korea and China are beating them at their own game.

It's just the AAAs that are cucked, but these are the same dipshits that were chasing Western audiences during the 360 era and churning out garbage like Project Silpheed and DmC. It'll take time, but they'll wake the fuck up a few years after the rest of the Western world has.

kunonabi

What? Its not, japan not only capcom, and they still rocking far better than china and korea
Capcom is especially bad since they take a lot of cues from the USA branch especially for the fighters. I have no idea why Square got so retarded though.

RaduN

Japan is super cucked right now. No surprise Korea and China are beating them at their own game.

How is China beating Japan? With a couple of review and sale stuffed half a billion state sponsored games that are blatant copies of other japanese games?

Korea, well, are just little babies at this point. I can definitelly see great colabs between Japan and them in the future though.

Danny Dudekisser

How is China beating Japan? With a couple of review and sale stuffed half a billion state sponsored games that are blatant copies of other japanese games?

Korea, well, are just little babies at this point. I can definitelly see great colabs between Japan and them in the future though.

Both China and Korea have a more meaningful AA scene than Japan does at this point, or at least there's more potential there. Given a few years, you can see where things are headed. There's a ton of potential, in any case.

The Western market's going to get decimated.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Who is this modern audience anyways. The hundreds and hundreds of people that bought Concord? These corporations must have so many activist employees that their perception of reality has become completely warped.
I always thought it sounded stupid when they said modern audience. I get modern controls, but how many new players do they actually think they’re getting? A lot of the sales will be from fans who’ve been around a while. It’s like they’ve been living under a rock.

They don’t want to piss off the woke crowd on social media. The watchful eye of wokeness will cancel them.

RaduN

Both China and Korea have a more meaningful AA scene than Japan does at this point, or at least there's more potential there. Given a few years, you can see where things are headed. There's a ton of potential, in any case.

Bring it on.

Bring innovation, bring variety, bring edge, steer away from comitee approved concepts, don't play it safe and stereotypical and i'm all in.

kunonabi

Where’s the images of before/after?
I didn’t see any
Is the browser working correctly?
At the moment we only have general statements of what's being changed from the official website. We probably won't know the extent of the damage until it actually releases or we get real preview footage although that will probably only be good for the stage alterations.

cripterion

Agreed.

Bandai Namco, Capcom and Square Enix are becoming more and more irrelevant in my eyes. Trying to cater to the west does them no favors.

Last edited:

FeralEcho

As soon as I saw on Max's video of the changes they will make to this I knew exactly what they were doing....

No wonder they don't even show Mai in full view on the art. We all know why, "tits are bad"...The fact that SNK was fine with this is also disturbing...I mean they have to have some input on this too, right? It's using their characters as well so they'd have to agree on the censorship.

For as good as they are with the fact that they are listening to the fans on having these rereleases in the first place they are just as awful on the pandering to the non existant "modern audience".And worse is they'll succeed as fans will buy these since they are hard to find or even unavailable.

I won't buy this shit If its heavily censored though. Fuck'em. There's still emulation...Modern audience free.

Top Bottom