• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom seems to be censoring all of the games in their new "Collections" of old games

Ozriel

M$FT
Imagine getting pissed because they removed the Twin towers from the Punisher game, or adjusted some sprites. None of these change how the games are played or even fundamentally diminish the experience in any way.

And no, it’s not about ‘preservation’ or ‘leaving things unchanged’. Because if it was, you’d be raging about the addition of one button specials that weren’t in the originals.

So weird, feels like yesterday the cute, booby girl in the upcoming Monster Hunter Wilds was being held up as Capcom being the best. Now they’re ’Haram’ because of inconsequential adjustments.

Ozriel

M$FT
But stuff like this just really bothers me; this stuff is totally harmless, and one of the things that makes revisting older games so much fun is seeing how different they actually *are*. Sometimes you watch an older movie and say "man, that would never slide today". And that's not to say modern media is "worse" or anything like that; just acknowledging that tastes have changed.

But if you're bringing back these old games, they should be preserved as they were. Maybe fix game-breaking bugs or things like that, but making alterations to content is some pretty scummy shit. It's like this initiative to censor books without the author's knowledge or consent, reprinting books and removing language like calling people "fat". Like I get it, that might affect your enjoyment of the book, but that's pretty fucked that you're just going to make alterations.

There are zero changes to the original games. You can play them today on an emulator and they’ll work just like they did for you before. You seemed to almost get it with your analogy when talking about watching old movies. The original product isn’t changed.

This is a compilation of older games, but it IS a new commercial product being sold in 2024. There will be adjustments to the whole package from resolution to accessibility options etc.

There’s nothing ‘scummy’ when they’ve told you upfront what the changes are. You decide if you need to buy it or not.

Kikorin

Some dev should make 2 versions of the same game, one for the "boomer audience" and one for the "modern audience", then make public the percentage of people that bought which version, so we could have some metrics of how big (or interested in videogames) this "modern audience" really is.

Sure, the gigantic success of Wu Kong and the gigantic fail of Concord could already give us some clues.

Ozriel

M$FT
Some dev should make 2 versions of the same game, one for the "boomer audience" and one for the "modern audience", then make public the percentage of people that bought which version, so we could have some metrics of how big (or interested in videogames) this "modern audience" really is.

Sure, the gigantic success of Wu Kong and the gigantic fail of Concord could already give us some clues.

What do we do with the gigantic success of Spiderman 2 and God of War Ragnarok, both games derided as having ‘woke’ elements?

Cherry-picking so shamelessly weakens your own arguments.

Kikorin

What do we do with the gigantic success of Spiderman 2 and God of War Ragnarok, both games derided as having ‘woke’ elements?

Cherry-picking so shamelessly weakens your own arguments.

Both games from established and super famous franchise that wasn't woke before the last entry, same for TLoU 2. The real test will be the next one, but if we take a look at a games released long time ago like TLoU 2 is already clear that the numbers will be lot lower than the first one.

In Concord and Wu Kong cases, we are talking in both cases of a completely new IP (obviously from very different genres).

Also, is not what I was talking about. What I was saying would have been more like, if Insomniac would have released 2 versions of Spider-Man 2, one with woke elements and the other one without them, which one would have been more successful and sold more?

Last edited:
I am still laughing at the fact that Atomic Heart censored a cartoon that had already passed the Soviet Union censors. I don't think people realize just how wrong this is, especially the defenders. The irony of the modern world is not lost on me. Brought up in the church and was prevented from reading Harry Potter because JK Rowling was evil. I honestly don't believe people understand the implications.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Now that I’ve had some more time to think and sleep on it, I’m preordering it again. The convenience of having these on PC/Steam with online play, easy button config, unlocked characters, and permanent backwards compatibility down the line is going to be great and I’ve been wanting to play some MvC1, CvS 1-2, Power Stone, etc again.

Plus, with the way licenses have worked in the past after 3 years or so the games will probably get digitally delisted as the licenses expire again.

And if I do ever want to go back and play the original 1-1 releases then that’s always an option as well. Hopefully the changes here are minor though.

My hype is back today, let’s go!

Last edited:

DelireMan7

Fair enough!

It's all on the recent sites:

Click on most of the games in the collection, they all mention altered animations and/or endings. The same is true of the MvC collection as well.
You have to put better prove.
I checked several games and it says "Some stage visuals altered".
Put some visual comparison before claiming "censorship on female character"
"altered" doesn't necessarily means censorship

LordCBH

Japan diving full tilt into the garbage that has plagued and ruined western games for the past 4-5 years is sad as fuck. You’d think they’d see the failures and the tepid responses and go “naw we don’t want any of that.”

RaduN

Japan diving full tilt into the garbage that has plagued and ruined western games for the past 4-5 years is sad as fuck.
Recent gamer, right? A few years at most i bet.
Otherwise you'd remember all those gazillion 90s (yeah, waay back than 4 or 5 years) japanese games that were heavily censored/altered between different regions.

Pays to be an old fuck sometimes.

rkofan87

Gold Member
Imagine getting pissed because they removed the Twin towers from the Punisher game, or adjusted some sprites. None of these change how the games are played or even fundamentally diminish the experience in any way.

And no, it’s not about ‘preservation’ or ‘leaving things unchanged’. Because if it was, you’d be raging about the addition of one button specials that weren’t in the originals.

So weird, feels like yesterday the cute, booby girl in the upcoming Monster Hunter Wilds was being held up as Capcom being the best. Now they’re ’Haram’ because of inconsequential adjustments.
reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Ozriel

M$FT
reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Weird Al Tin Foil Hat GIF

kunonabi

Looks like norimaro is back for the collection. Makes me think licensing is probably not going to make for most of collection 2's changes if they were able to pull that off.

Celcius

°Temp. member
The MvC collection is out and I think all the concern was for nothing.
I've played all the games (except the punisher but that never interested me), the bathhouse stage in still in MvC1 and you can still break through the wall, felicia/morrigan are untouched, I'm not noticing anything.
I'm having a great time and I highly recommend it. I plan to get the next Fighting Collection game as well.

Last edited:

kunonabi

The MvC collection is out and I think all the concern was for nothing.
I've played all the games (except the punisher but that never interested me), the bathhouse stage in still in MvC1 and you can still break through the wall, felicia/morrigan are untouched, I'm not noticing anything.
I'm having a great time and I highly recommend it. I plan to get the next Fighting Collection game as well.
Collection 2's changes are much more extensive so the concern is still valid there. I still want to know what the mcv1 changes but everyone is refusing to talk about them for some reason.

Top Bottom