• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom seems to be censoring all of the games in their new "Collections" of old games

BlackTron

He isn't?

If you read the rest it sounds like he's referring to the people who get offended and ruin everyone's fun by complaining.

Just making light that everyone here is spineless. Can't handle tits in a game, boohoo, dev candle handle one person crying, changes game.

FeralEcho

If you read the rest it sounds like he's referring to the people who get offended and ruin everyone's fun by complaining.

Just making light that everyone here is spineless. Can't handle tits in a game, boohoo, dev candle handle one person crying, changes game.
Depends how you read it,I read it as the devs are ruining the fun of others...I mean they are clearly the spineless ones considering they feel the need to actually censor it in the first place.

Soodanim

Until I see actual evidence of what OP is claiming this is all rage bait shit that half of the thread is blindly falling for.

I'm not sure what's worse, the people that post this stuff without proof or the people that see a thread title and take it as gospel.

I clicked through most of the games to see changes and I think 1 of the ones I checked mentioned changes. The rest were all things like "Now you can be Shin Akuma"... how horrible.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

Agreed.

Bandai Namco, Capcom and Square Enix are becoming more and more irrelevant in my eyes. Trying to cater to the west does them no favors.
idk, normally i would be among the first to complain but Japanese game companies have been managing the 'modern audience' much better than their Western counterparts without losing their identity and quality, there is no comparison, we also can't expect them to ignore the west completely.

So far at least,i still trust Capcom(and others) to come up with something fun

BlackTron

Depends how you read it,I read it as the devs are ruining the fun of others...I mean they are clearly the spineless ones considering they feel the need to actually censor it in the first place.

I find it hard to believe the people at Capcom are actually offended, but sure the intent could be either way.

edit: whole point is there is so much lack of spine we aren't even sure lol.

Last edited:
When you said spines for a second I thought you were referring to the studios.
I was referring to people, but I mean, devs don’t have spines either. They’re afraid of offending the offended, so they bow down and sacrifice their dignity at the altar of the alphabet mafia. I think a lot of people, devs included, are afraid of the mafia labeling them something stupid and getting ‘canceled’ so they just stay silent and go with it. However, a lot of people are waking up to this nonsense and getting brave and calling out this garbage like they should have been doing years ago.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
No wonder they don't even show Mai in full view on the art. We all know why, "tits are bad".…

Fun fact. When DALL-E 3 launched and it still hadn’t been sanitized to all hell, I tried some prompts about videogames, and one of those had Mai Shiranui in it. All the results I got were very funny, and some were pretty close to what I had in mind. But not a single one had any character even remotely resembling Mai Shiranui. Not even a red dress anywhere.

Companies aren’t necessarily doing this to increase sales among “modern audiences”. We all know that the vocal “boycotters” all buy and play these “disgusting” games anyway, they’re not even subtle about it.
No, I think the problem here is public image and a potential loss of sales. Even the most obscure of these games may feature in online events and tournaments.The people who play them may not be “modern audiences”, but you can be assured that there’s lots of “those people” among the sponsors, the presenters, the commentators, the interviewers etc. Those are the people who will make a fuss and throw tantrums if some sensible content appears during an event. You can also bet that players would never lose a chance to show that content while playing, because it’s there precisely for those occasions.
I just hope companies don’t do this in the delusion that if they do, one day the idiots will stop bitching. They never will. It’s not about any specific content, it’s about feeling you have power over a target that’s infinitely bigger than you.

Last edited:

RaduN

Again:

1. Games have been censored/altered in respect to different regions since the 80s, maybe even more so than today.

2. People are praising chinese games as some saviours against western/japanese censorship? Really? Fucking really?
Show me that chinese game/media that wipes the floor with the chinese oppressive government, its corruption and all its historical atrocities and i'll show you the plethora of western/japanese games/media that do just that (regarding their own demons if i wasn't clear enough), without any censorship.

Get a clue my little chinese bots.

Toots

Gold Member
I really, REALLY hope Blizzard gives some thought into just having some kind of "mature content filter" toggle or something in the options, because we should be able to enjoy these games as they were, not alter them to suit modern sensibilities.
Let's face it no one under 30 will have any interest for those type of compilation.

Which make me think, it's crazy that the stuff we watched when we were 12 year old, without anyone raising a eyebrow (apart from pearl clutching pastor's wives), is now censored for us when we are almost pushing 40... That's mindbogglingly dumb.

Last edited:

VanEs

1. Games have been censored/altered in respect to different regions since the 80s, maybe even more so than today.

And those alterations are relatively minor compared to what is happening today so that's just a dishonest argument from your side. No way did we have the radical activist pressure nonsense back in the 80/90/00s.

2. People are praising chinese games as some saviours against western/japanese censorship? Really? Fucking really?
Show me that chinese game/media that wipes the floor with the chinese oppressive government, its corruption and all its historical atrocities and i'll show you the plethora of western/japanese games/media that do just that (regarding their own demons if i wasn't clear enough), without any censorship.

But Chinese (and other Asian studios) are "saviours" in that regard. Their societies are anti woke and they should be applauded for that at least. When they incorporate pro-government nonsense we just as easily tell them to eff off with that nonsense as well. But we should celebrate their stance against radical activist pressure. It's a good thing.

near

Gold Member
Fair enough!

It's all on the recent sites:

Click on most of the games in the collection, they all mention altered animations and/or endings. The same is true of the MvC collection as well.
No they don't. Stop bullshiting to support your argument.

From the link you shared:

"
CvS:

Changes from Original
- Some stage visuals have been altered.
- Stage music can now be changed in the EX Settings.
Choose from the game's original music or nostalgic tracks from other Capcom and SNK arcade titles.

CvS2:
Changes from Original
- You can now switch between versions of the game via the EX Settings. Select Original to play the arcade version, or select EO Version to play the Capcom vs SNK 2 EO version.
Note: Roll canceling into a move does not grant invincibility in the EO version.
Note: EO-ism and GC-ism cannot be used.
- Evil Ryu, Orochi Iori, Shin Akuma, and Ultimate Rugal are now playable. They can be accessed via Game Settings > EX Settings > Hidden Characters.
- EX Settings include a Same Character Selection option. By enabling it, two or more of the same character can be on the same team.
"

Lambogenie

I'll still get it, but it is a shit practice. Mostly because of a loud group usually from America. Thanks for your DEI rubbish and exporting it.

It's hilarious though because walking around some areas of big western cities like New York and London and you'll see chicks in very revealing clothes regularly in the summer.

Stop hiring activists.

Last edited:

lmimmfn

Vote with your wallet and just dont support these changes.
The more awareness of DEI(or whatever new name they decide to hide its toxicity) influences in games the better so we as customers can make more informed decisions to not support it.

We didnt ask for politics in games and now its being forced on us, politics creates division and everyone loses when divided.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
Is the marvel vs capcom collection censored too or just CvS collection?

This is highly disappointing sigh. Capcom does something amazing (re-releasing all these classics) and then they have to ruin it like this.

Last edited:

kunonabi

Is the marvel vs capcom collection censored too or just CvS collection?

This is highly disappointing sigh. Capcom does something amazing (re-releasing all these classics) and then they have to ruin it like this.
I know they censored the ending to the punisher but I haven't looked into the rest. I lost interest in that collection when they picked the wrong XvsSF version for it and nerfed Juggernaut in MVC2.

EDIT: looks like they changed stages in MVC1 so the bathhouse might have got hit. Not sure what would be wrong with any of the other stages.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member

I bought the original Capcom Fighting Collection and had a lot of fun, it was fine.
I bought SVC Chaos and it was totally fine as well.

But I just refunded the MvC collection and removed the Fighting Collection 2 from my wishlist.
This censorship is next level... why wouldn't I just keep the originals?
I need to sit back and wait for people to get their hands on it and then see exactly what is changed. I'm glad I have the PS3 digital version of MvC2. Sigh.

Last edited:

near

Gold Member

I bought the original Capcom Fighting Collection and had a lot of fun, it was fine.
I bought SVC Chaos and it was totally fine as well.

But I just refunded the MvC collection and remove the Fighting Collection 2 from my wishlist.
This censorship is next level... why wouldn't I just keep the originals?
I need to sit back and wait for people to get their hands on it and then see exactly what is changed. Sigh.

Here is the link to the article she discusses. The article has no source other than the link OP shared from Capcom's website. Visual changes ≠ censorship. Until we can actually compare the games, I don't see an issue here.

Nickolaidas

Agreed.

Bandai Namco, Capcom and Square Enix are becoming more and more irrelevant in my eyes. Trying to cater to the west does them no favors.
Honestly, I'm just happy they made/will make the FF7 remake trilogy. It was what I wanted from them for the past 20 years. If they go full woke, bon voyage, don't let the door slam you in the ass as you leave my top publishers.

Though, to be fair, the majority of Japanese publishers/devs do not go overboard with wokeness. They still will have cute female characters and while the slutty will be vastly reduced, the sexy will never go away, and there won't be any real preaching, unless some localizers fuck it up.

But yeah, Korea/China is where my eyes are set right now.

Y'all should actually look at the changes. I've checked 3 so far (Power Stone 1 & 2, Plasma Sword) and none of the changes seem to be censorship of costumes, outfits, or characters in the game. Some of the cutscenes seem to be altered but there is no way to know how and I imagine those changes are minor & non-intrusive.

Actually, a lot of the changes seem to be making once-hidden or unplayable characters playable, which should be a plus.

DryvBy

Big managers for almost any company looks as pirated content as lost sales. Logically that's false, but these people only see large numbers and those numbers should have dollar signs.

These same boneheads see a large number of people yelling on social media as customers. Screw that the word "customer" is very precise in meaning, stating a customer is someone buying a product. Some random person that doesn't play video games isn't a customer. But they can't see that.

Take both concepts and combine. They see large number of yelling people and just like piracy, this is lost sales. So they make products to appease the people that's not their customers. By doing this, they're now making products that alien people that have a significant higher chance of buying their product, because the modern businessman sees all people as customers instead of what they are: potentials.

Concord is a great example. The people that threw a fit were customers, people that actively are buying games, complain and it doesn't sell. But people that throw a fit over Bayonetta aren't affecting the sales of the game. In fact, controversy like that should be good. Check out Stellar Blade. People threw a fit, but not customers. The game sold better than expected.

These CEOs need to grow some balls and understand basic business that you don't need to sell to everyone, you just need to sell to the loyalist of your base. And within that, you might have a few minority screams but the overwhelming majority will not care.

rkofan87

Gold Member
Just like Square, Capcom now has a more rigid Ethics Department and they have been in touch with a lot of LGBT celebrities like Sphere Hunter.

They might not go full DEI, but you wont be seeing half naked chicks anymore.
dam i thought sphere hunter was of the good ones oh well.

kunonabi

Y'all should actually look at the changes. I've checked 3 so far (Power Stone 1 & 2, Plasma Sword) and none of the changes seem to be censorship of costumes, outfits, or characters in the game. Some of the cutscenes seem to be altered but there is no way to know how and I imagine those changes are minor & non-intrusive.

Actually, a lot of the changes seem to be making once-hidden or unplayable characters playable, which should be a plus.
Removing midnight bliss transformations is absolutely censorship of in-game content. Stages changes are absolutely in-game as well but might indeed not be much but considering CVS1's stages are one of the games big highlights I'd rather they not touch them at all. I imagine the cutscene changes won't be minor but there really isn't much point in speculation at this time. Although since I have these games it might be worth just playing them and trying to guess what it is they're doing for fun.

RCX

I dont know who they're trying to speak to with this. The "modern" audience doesnt seem to buy games (see: Concord) so are they just trying to win morality points with the worthless games media?

jcorb

People asking for "comparison screenshots" -- the games aren't out yet, nobody outside Capcom would have the ability to do so. We *can*, however, reference the changes they openly list on the official websites for these collections, some of which specifically outline changing animations and endings for characters that are obviously "sexy" or "lewd" in some way.

I've been a fan of Capcom since I was a kid, so I'm always rooting for them. In many ways, it feels like we're almost in a new "golden age" of Capcom games. But stuff like this just really bothers me; this stuff is totally harmless, and one of the things that makes revisting older games so much fun is seeing how different they actually *are*. Sometimes you watch an older movie and say "man, that would never slide today". And that's not to say modern media is "worse" or anything like that; just acknowledging that tastes have changed.

But if you're bringing back these old games, they should be preserved as they were. Maybe fix game-breaking bugs or things like that, but making alterations to content is some pretty scummy shit. It's like this initiative to censor books without the author's knowledge or consent, reprinting books and removing language like calling people "fat". Like I get it, that might affect your enjoyment of the book, but that's pretty fucked that you're just going to make alterations.

Minsc

Gold Member
Big managers for almost any company looks as pirated content as lost sales. Logically that's false, but these people only see large numbers and those numbers should have dollar signs.

These same boneheads see a large number of people yelling on social media as customers. Screw that the word "customer" is very precise in meaning, stating a customer is someone buying a product. Some random person that doesn't play video games isn't a customer. But they can't see that.

Take both concepts and combine. They see large number of yelling people and just like piracy, this is lost sales. So they make products to appease the people that's not their customers. By doing this, they're now making products that alien people that have a significant higher chance of buying their product, because the modern businessman sees all people as customers instead of what they are: potentials.

Concord is a great example. The people that threw a fit were customers, people that actively are buying games, complain and it doesn't sell. But people that throw a fit over Bayonetta aren't affecting the sales of the game. In fact, controversy like that should be good. Check out Stellar Blade. People threw a fit, but not customers. The game sold better than expected.

These CEOs need to grow some balls and understand basic business that you don't need to sell to everyone, you just need to sell to the loyalist of your base. And within that, you might have a few minority screams but the overwhelming majority will not care.

Pirated content just means your chosen method of distribution has failed to meet the needs of those who pirate it, and should really be used as a measure of potential interest if anything. Why things might be pirated? Maybe it's a Switch game to someone who doesn't want a Switch, release your game on more hardware and maybe you get more sales. Maybe the price is too high? Maybe it's on a streaming service people don't want to use. Offer it more places. Maybe your service fails to meet the offline needs of the user, or they don't allow backups. There's thousands of reasons, but ultimately the degree of piracy is nothing more than a guage of interest IMO.

Removing midnight bliss transformations is absolutely censorship of in-game content. Stages changes are absolutely in-game as well but might indeed not be much but considering CVS1's stages are one of the games big highlights I'd rather they not touch them at all. I imagine the cutscene changes won't be minor but there really isn't much point in speculation at this time. Although since I have these games it might be worth just playing them and trying to guess what it is they're doing for fun.

They got rid of Midnight Bliss? Really? Why? They think it'll offend trans people somehow? If anything I'd think they would be fine with it (many of them, anyway), so what if it's a bit tongue-in-cheek.

Yeah, if you can compare both versions for each game I think a lot of us would appreciate it. I don't have original copies of most of these games, sadly. Like my copy of CvS2 on Gamecube is long gone.

People asking for "comparison screenshots" -- the games aren't out yet, nobody outside Capcom would have the ability to do so. We *can*, however, reference the changes they openly list on the official websites for these collections, some of which specifically outline changing animations and endings for characters that are obviously "sexy" or "lewd" in some way.

I've been a fan of Capcom since I was a kid, so I'm always rooting for them. In many ways, it feels like we're almost in a new "golden age" of Capcom games. But stuff like this just really bothers me; this stuff is totally harmless, and one of the things that makes revisting older games so much fun is seeing how different they actually *are*. Sometimes you watch an older movie and say "man, that would never slide today". And that's not to say modern media is "worse" or anything like that; just acknowledging that tastes have changed.

But if you're bringing back these old games, they should be preserved as they were. Maybe fix game-breaking bugs or things like that, but making alterations to content is some pretty scummy shit. It's like this initiative to censor books without the author's knowledge or consent, reprinting books and removing language like calling people "fat". Like I get it, that might affect your enjoyment of the book, but that's pretty fucked that you're just going to make alterations.

They could at least put trigger warnings on the "not modern audience-friendly" content or, better yet, have both the truly original and modified versions in the collection, that way people can actually choose which they prefer.

The wild part is if you ask a lot of women in the FGC, they don't mind the sex appeal of female characters; some even prefer it. These moves from these companies always end up looking socially regressive and borne out of outdated ideals the Taliban love to support.

Last edited:

kunonabi

They got rid of Midnight Bliss? Really? Why? They think it'll offend trans people somehow? If anything I'd think they would be fine with it (many of them, anyway), so what if it's a bit tongue-in-cheek.

Yeah, if you can compare both versions for each game I think a lot of us would appreciate it. I don't have original copies of most of these games, sadly. Like my copy of CvS2 on Gamecube is long gone.

They could at least put trigger warnings on the "not modern audience-friendly" content or, better yet, have both the truly original and modified versions in the collection, that way people can actually choose which they prefer.

The wild part is if you ask a lot of women in the FGC, they don't mind the sex appeal of female characters; some even prefer it. These moves from these companies always end up looking socially regressive and borne out of outdated ideals the Taliban love to support.
Some transformations but we don't know how many. Could be licensing(Ryu, Rose) , some of the younger transformations, or the usual too sexy for modern audiences but none of them are really that racy.

Bloobs

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Cap Stop Lying GIF by Jeopardy!

Madonis

None of that is specific. This is nothing more than speculation, because you're assuming every remotely possible thing will be changed when there might be less changes than what you're imagining.

I am not into making such changes myself, but I am also not going to dismiss the games out of hand either way.

Last edited:

Zacfoldor

It's always crazy to me when so many people from the extreme opposite ends of the ideological spectrum find it necessary to try to cover up women from men who want to look at them. Men desiring to gaze upon less clothed women is of course natural. This is how new human beings are made and we would not exist if men did not want to do that.

You will find WILDLY different reasons why these people believe women(not men) should be covered up....ostensibly. However, when such unlikely common ground exists, I often find they share a root cause. In this case I'm sure it's primordial jealousy.

Last edited:
Oh no. Capcom is next to go from beloved to hated. In a few years there will literally be nobody left. Nobody is off the table. Even Nintendo or fromsoftware. This shit is like an advanced cancer that spreads. There's no stopping it. One year ago people were wanking off over how great insomniac are. One game later and look what happened.

I'll still get it, but it is a shit practice. Mostly because of a loud group usually from America. Thanks for your DEI rubbish and exporting it.

It's hilarious though because walking around some areas of big western cities like New York and London and you'll see chicks in very revealing clothes regularly in the summer.

Stop hiring activists.

Unattractive women hate attractive women.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
If I can whack off to completion by watching the 15-second long sexy Morrigan ending, I frankly think I deserve some kind of medal.

YCoCg

Are we sure it's not just getting rid of the copyright stuff? Wasn't there references to other game characters, one reference to JoJo's Bizarre Adventure and even a Coca-Cola sign in one of the stages backgrounds?

This genuinely upsets me.

I've been so stoked to see Capcom announcing all these awesome collections lately, but it has really been tempered by seeing that they're altering animations and endings for almost all of these old games, presumably to remove any scantily-clad female characters.

This seems to align with their stance of more recent Capcom games shying away from sexualizing female characters. Which for newer games, makes sense as that's sort of where "the industry" is at unfortunately. The new Dead Rising remake has turned Frank West into a middle-aged doofus (as opposed to a mid-20's doofus), and it's already pretty apparent they're scaling back on the scantily-clad zombies that once populated the game.

But when you're selling players on these original experiences, I think it's incredibly slimy to make alterations to those games in the name of appealing to "modern audiences". Fact is, whatever your thoughts are, those animations and endings are part of those original games, and likely part of what lent them their charm.

That stuff is juvenile, for sure. But these are video games; it should be okay to have games that are a little juvenile. With as shitty as the real world has been on folks the past few years, some of us might enjoy the escapism of not having to take everything so goddamn seriously all the time.

I really, REALLY hope Blizzard gives some thought into just having some kind of "mature content filter" toggle or something in the options, because we should be able to enjoy these games as they were, not alter them to suit modern sensibilities.

EDIT:

Here's the official site for the most recent collection; click on any of the games, almost all of them mention altered animations or endings under changes:

You couldn't have said it better! This is really bad.

Preseznik

Neo Member
They can't touch the originals, so I don't really care.
It sucks they feel they need to do that, but I'm not worried about the "art", previous releases are good enough for me.

Top Bottom