• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cargo Commander |OT| In Space, No One Can Hear You Salvage

Munin

More cargo isn't necessary, just let me DO something useful or cool with it.

More enemies and varied rooms would be nice though.

It's simple : more of everything.

More rooms, more enemies, more cargos, more weapons, more ranks, more upgrades, more game modes.

Not that simple though.

BTW, probably my IGOTY.

It's been an absolutely bumper crop of late, I can't be made to choose! This is certainly up there.

Blizzard

Banned
More cargo isn't necessary, just let me DO something useful or cool with it.

More enemies and varied rooms would be nice though.
I think aside from fixing crashes (which they are already working on), having something to use the cargo for may be the biggest common wishlist item. I don't know whether the best answer is to be able to craft it into something (weapons, items?) or what, but I think that could give the game more of a loot-hunting feel and less of an abstract collection feel. :)

I don't know if it's financially feasible, but if that or whatever other feature ended up provided as free DLC, perhaps timed with a Steam daily deal or sale weekend (or holiday sale) later on, that might pull in more players, while also getting existing owners back into the game. Good luck however it goes!

What about an automated drone? Wouldn't mind a small UAV of sorts that could follow you around and either be configured as a utility - fired into a wall for drilling purposes while you drill another - or as a small hovering gun that does an initially small amount of damage to enemies?

All upgradable.

Might take the fun and tension out of things, though just an idea.

What about an automated drone? Wouldn't mind a small UAV of sorts that could follow you around and either be configured as a utility - fired into a wall for drilling purposes while you drill another - or as a small hovering gun that does an initially small amount of damage to enemies?

All upgradable.

Might take the fun and tension out of things, though just an idea.

I wonder if that might take away the loneliness of the game? I find the game pretty tough and I've only got 2 worlds open to me and can't seem to get any where near the top scores in either of them, but I love the feeling that he's out there working alone with no one to rely on but himself.

I definitely agree with the feeling of uselessness of the cargo, collecting all these random things for a little change to receive a letter or an upgrade to the ship isn't as fulfilling as maybe building something out of the items directly.

I hate this game so much. It's actually pretty fun to play, but it has to phone home to its leaderboard server at the end of every level and the server is horrible. If the game can't connect, you're dumped back to the main menu and all your progress is lost. It happens a lot.

Blizzard

Banned
I hate this game so much. It's actually pretty fun to play, but it has to phone home to its leaderboard server at the end of every level and the server is horrible. If the game can't connect, you're dumped back to the main menu and all your progress is lost. It happens a lot.
That's unfortunate. :( Does it save your progress if you try it in singleplayer at least?

That's unfortunate. :( Does it save your progress if you try it in singleplayer at least?

Yes and no. It does, but offline mode is basically just a practice mode. It saves your score but not your cargo, and you can't earn XP or travel to sectors you haven't visited while online.

I wonder if that might take away the loneliness of the game? I find the game pretty tough and I've only got 2 worlds open to me and can't seem to get any where near the top scores in either of them, but I love the feeling that he's out there working alone with no one to rely on but himself.

I definitely agree with the feeling of uselessness of the cargo, collecting all these random things for a little change to receive a letter or an upgrade to the ship isn't as fulfilling as maybe building something out of the items directly.

I'd see it as something like Wilson from that Tom Hanks film.

What about building temporary cargo clamps/harpoons for the salvage ship? This would only work with wormholes. I dunno.

1-D_FTW

Ugh. Such a total noob. I remembered when the tutorial gave you the shotgun. And that the B button allowed you to switch guns. But then I did something to kill myself. And quickly forgot how to get weapons.

90 minutes in gametime later. Note to self: Weapons are in lockers.

And I was still loving it with just the stupid nailgun. This game is awesome.

Gibbon

Neo Member
According to the Facebook post, there should be some sort of DLC for Christmas.

If they synchronise its release with the Steam Winter sales, they will be doing even better sales wise.

BTW, I finished the game, got every achievement, but didn't get to enjoy Journey mode enough, although it was my principal interest. I hope we will have to go back to this mode in the future.

Christmas Commander! I expect the trucker's cap to be replaced by a Santa hat and there to be a lonely Christmas tree somewhere on the ship.

That poor, lonely bastard.

How are you guys playing CC, incidentally? I get the impression some of you fellows really dug in and marathoned it.

I definitely play it like an occasional treat, which is how the devs intentioned it to be played - which kinda means dick-all in the long run with a lot of the player base. Now that a few friends of mine have jumped in, I'm looking forward to a more social score chase with close associates.

Gibbon

Neo Member
Christmas Commander! I expect the trucker's cap to be replaced by a Santa hat and there to be a lonely Christmas tree somewhere on the ship.

How are you guys playing CC, incidentally? I get the impression some of you fellows really dug in and marathoned it.

I definitely play it like an occasional treat, which is how the devs intentioned it to be played - which kinda means dick-all in the long run with a lot of the player base. Now that a few friends of mine have jumped in, I'm looking forward to a more social score chase with close associates.

I'd love playing like this, relaxed and all. But I was so immersed it that I wanted to see the ending.
Of course I'm proud of some scores I did passing by some sectors, but I'm not really into the scoring side of the game. I remember creating the Neogaf sector, and I don't even know if some of you have been there already !

That's how I'm playing, still haven't unlocked the other mode. I tend to always die on there fifth or sixth wave and average about 3000 points.
For those that have finished it any tips? and what does finishing it mean? is that just ranking up to CEO level?

Gibbon

Neo Member
That's how I'm playing, still haven't unlocked the other mode. I tend to always die on there fifth or sixth wave and average about 3000 points.
For those that have finished it any tips? and what does finishing it mean? is that just ranking up to CEO level?

Every rank you gain adds something to ease your adventures :)
I think when you gain the weapon locker is when you start to frequently finish all the 12 waves of a sector (and by the way, scoring high). That's why it's always good to go and search for cargo you didn't discover yet, it will make you gain ranks faster.

The ending is well put out, you'll see :)
I loved the melancolic tone of the setting, with your wife's mails and your child's drawings.

1-D_FTW

I dunno, I reckon it might be doing rather well - it's such an easy recommendation at that price.

100+ on my friends list. It's dead there.

And I've pimped this game a good 10 times in the Autumn Steam sales thread. Don't think I've swayed a single person. They're buying crappie indies left and right (often for 5 bucks) and Cargo Commander is like some sketchy dude in a 70s van asking kids if they want Candy. It's avoided like the plague.

As intended. Quick thrills arcade game. I rarely play more than two matches in a row. But it's a great arcade game.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Uh, it still is on sale! At least for the next five-odd hours!
Yup, but I'm at work and Steam is blocked here. And my 3G signal is close to non-existant, so there's no way I'll be able to buy it in the next 9 hours. By that time the sale will have ended long ago.

And I've pimped this game a good 10 times in the Autumn Steam sales thread. Don't think I've swayed a single person. They're buying crappie indies left and right (often for 5 bucks) and Cargo Commander is like some sketchy dude in a 70s van asking kids if they want Candy. It's avoided like the plague.

As intended. Quick thrills arcade game. I rarely play more than two matches in a row. But it's a great arcade game.

Good LORD. Yeah, I dunno, I'm confused at the hard-sell it requires. Maybe we need more faux retro-pixel up in our space spelunky for the trendy crowd?

Yup, but I'm at work and Steam is blocked here. And my 3G signal is close to non-existant, so there's no way I'll be able to buy it in the next 9 hours. By that time the sale will have ended long ago.

Someone help this person out! Still, if the ten buck price tag is still too much, it'll keep.

I bought this game.

Yeah, but you have good taste, Mubes. It's a given!

Blizzard

Banned

I bought it for 12 people in the Steam thread, and most of them probably wrote impressions here, so I figure I did my part. :p I can only imagine how tough it would be to market a game.

It really is - this sale I've bought Cargo Commander, Walking Dead, Mark of the Ninja and KOTOR II. I am excellent.

I'm all about the ploughing with Farming Simulator 2013.

Secretly, it's an unbridled, uncaged vehicle fetishism than knows no satiation.

I bought it for 12 people in the Steam thread, and most of them probably wrote impressions here, so I figure I did my part. :p I can only imagine how tough it would be to market a game.

You are Serious Brew's greatest asset, Blizzard. A true hero of the people, and lonely bearded working-class salvage operators.

Gibbon

Neo Member

Oh yeah you did your part, I have 25 hours on the clock. I'm part of the 0.3% of the people that have finished the game.

Thanks again Blizzard :)

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Someone help this person out! Still, if the ten buck price tag is still too much, it'll keep.
Don't worry, I'll pick it up in 4 weeks. It's not like I currently have a lack of games :p

Amusingly, I actually bought the game on the first day of the sale, but not for myself. It was a gift for a GAFfer who won a bet. In hindsight, I should have gotten 2 copies.

It was your give away and their impressions that sold me on it for full price.

rybrad

I meant to post this the other day but I guess I forgot. You can get the game on Green Man Gaming for $2.55 with voucher code GMG25-G4VDR-0ZL4Q. If you missed it on the Steam sale now is your chance to get in on the fun! The game is Steamworks so just pop the key into Steam and you are all set.

1-D_FTW

Played Journey mode for the first time. Not what I was expecting. Thought it was going to be some sector hopping mode. This is much better. Although I've currently gotten sucked into Lego: Batman 2. Only upshot to not playing as much: I'm no longer constantly humming that song in my head.

Gibbon

Neo Member
Played Journey mode for the first time. Not what I was expecting. Thought it was going to be some sector hopping mode. This is much better. Although I've currently gotten sucked into Lego: Batman 2. Only upshot to not playing as much: I'm no longer constantly humming that song in my head.

It's been a few weeks since I uninstalled the game but that one song is still stuck in my head. Part of the reason is that Cargo Commander comes up everytime I post in a GOTY thread.

I've been pretty addicted to this game over the past few days...I'm Lvl 13 I think, but now I'm stuck with two sectors in which I continuously die without gaining sector passes, so I basically can't play anymore. This is incredibly frustrating.

1-D_FTW

Nice new update:

Version 1.1.0 - A Cold December
- a snowy Home Container (due to a broken heater and faulty sprinklers)
- a new song to comfort the Cargo Commander's lonely holiday
- find postcards and send them to your loved ones and co-workers
- send 10 postcards and get a reward

Blizzard

Banned
Nice new update:

Version 1.1.0 - A Cold December
- a snowy Home Container (due to a broken heater and faulty sprinklers)
- a new song to comfort the Cargo Commander's lonely holiday
- find postcards and send them to your loved ones and co-workers
- send 10 postcards and get a reward
Oh man, I came to post this. Can you choose between the songs? And is the reward something good?

*edit* The songs alternate. :)

Moobabe

I've finally booted this game up for the first time this evening...

If it wasn't already clear that Pylon has the best taste in games in the entire of GAF it is now - blimey! What a cracker this is. An hour flew by, I collected some weird ass cargo, upgraded my arm to a super drill, got some emails from my life partner and suffocated when I couldn't get back to my base.

Wow.

Top Bottom