• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castle of Illusion HD starring Mickey Mouse |OT| Once upon a mouse

Portman

I'm super hyped for this one and will be pre-ordering when I get home today. Loved the Genesis one and getting it as a bonus is icing on the cake of the remake.

Camjo-Z

Never played Castle of Illusion before but I randomly decided to preorder when I heard it came with the original Genesis version, was definitely not disappointed. Tuesday needs to arrive sooner!

Also, anyone else notice the song for the Castle sounds a bit like LOGBOX 720?

Not sure whether to play the Mega Drive version first on release day or just dive straight in to the remake...

Only took me about 2 hours tops to beat the original and it was still plenty of fun, so I'd suggest that one! You'll probably be able to appreciate stuff in the remake better too.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Only took me about 2 hours tops to beat the original and it was still plenty of fun, so I'd suggest that one! You'll probably be able to appreciate stuff in the remake better too.

Did I make it sound like I've never played the original before? Well I have. It's a childhood favourite of mine and I still have strong memories of it so I think I'll be able to appreciate stuff in the remake regardless of whether I play the original on release day or not, even if it has been years since I've played the original. But I think I may play the original first anyway just to give me maximum nostalgia overload straight away.

Tizoc

3 days til the pre-order offer expires, don't forgot to get the game by Sep. 3rd at the latest to get the pre-order bonuses!

It looks great - but I still think I'm gonna wait for reviews, after how duck tales went down.

I would advise against that; many of those who got Ducktales remastered enjoyed it.
If anything best to check impressions from GAF.

JohngPR

I want the original version, but would rather buy it on Steam of PC is the only version that's 60fps. Surprised nobody knows this by now. :(

Harlock

What settings you using in the original castle of illusion? The smoothing seems good, different from other smoothing in old games.

Eusis

What settings you using in the original castle of illusion? The smoothing seems good, different from other smoothing in old games.
Scanlines, no smoothing, exact pixel. Makes it feel like I'm playing the Genesis on a really sharp CRT to me, even though I'm sure the real thing would be notably different.

I'm kind of surprised at how much I enjoyed the original, I only played World of Illusion and was curious to see how this was. Hopefully the remake does it justice.

Dark-VIII

dammit i just got an email of pre-order cancellation
thanks for the busy week i just had :(

now if i charge my wallet will i be able to get the reward?
it say untill second of September and we are in this day now!

Dark-VIII

ok sorry for the false alarm it says in the e-mail that it will try to charge me until the release date otherwise it will be cancelled

Tizoc

HEADS UP US PSN! Get the game as soon as you can do NOT, I repeat, DO NOT 'trust' Grace Chen to do a late update on Tuesday, just grab it asap and enjoy the theme and that classic M2 emulated Genesis goodness.

steam version ahoy

ATM there's only GMG and Gamersgate, but I'll update the OP with the links for the Steam ver. by release date.

Portman

I almost forgot to pre-order this, just remembered. Now that I have the goodies a question: are there any major differences between the versions/regions of the game? I'm just curious since it's a select able option and after Sonic CD I'm hoping for something neat.

disap.ed

Odd, I dunno why I was under the impression that it was going to be. Might have to bite on the ps3 pre-order while I still can.

Here the same, said to myself that I will pass Duck Tales because I will get CoI and now it doesn't even come to WiiU :(

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I'm very disappointed the original isn't on steam or a preorder bonus on there. Did they give any reason or just a limited exclusivity ? Still I hope the remake's decent, Castle Of Illusion holds a very special place in my heart.

sn00zer

I really hope this s good, only because it has set a great visual standard of what remakes should look like.....gorgeous stuff

Never pre-ordered on PSN before. So I can just go ahead and buy it now and it will just unlock later tomorrow? Will the emulated original just appear in my downloads? Sorry if these are horrifically noobish questions...

Camjo-Z

Never pre-ordered on PSN before. So I can just go ahead and buy it now and it will just unlock later tomorrow? Will the emulated original just appear in my downloads? Sorry if these are horrifically noobish questions...

Yep, once the game is up on the store tomorrow it'll show up in your download list, and you can download the original one immediately when you pre-order.

Tizoc

If you are US PS member, you should get the Genesis ver. once you've compelted your purchase, the remake will be available by Wednesday.
If you are EU PSN member you get the Genesis+remake on Wednesday when EU PSN updates.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I played this at PAX, I never played the original but it was good. Animation was nice. But it was kind of easy for me (maybe too many platformers) and I THINK the chapter I played was the final chapter maybe.
Stage with a lot of knight armors and the demo ended with a tease of a giant with a huge hammer?
Regardless, will purchase on Steam.

So the game is apparently live. Downloaded the whole thing, playing through the first level now. Is this supposed to happen? No sight of the original though in my download list, dang.

Ya, it's great I get to play now! Though no original anywhere in my downloads list, maybe because the game went live? I really would like to play the original since I've never experienced it. Should I contact Sony and see if I can get one?

Camjo-Z

So the game is apparently live. Downloaded the whole thing, playing through the first level now. Is this supposed to happen? No sight of the original though in my download list, dang.

It figures the one time having things run on Grace Chen Time would have actually benefitted someone, they decide to be prompt!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
When you downloaded the preorder on PSN, it said right in the description that the game would go up SEPT 3'rd, 12:01 EST.

The game as a preorder appeared in my list, along with some Avatars and a Dynamic theme. I pre-ordered around 9pm EST.

Haven't played the New version yet, but had some fun with the Genesis game! I might go through this kinda slow... I never really played the Genesis game, so getting in a few stages in each one, and comparing on the fly, is probably how I'll approach it.

JoeFenix

Just beat the first boss and I have to say this is a really pleasant surprise!

I'll get the negatives out of the way, the game runs at 30 fps with some dips in a couple areas but atleast it's nicely v-synced. It also feels like there's some slight input lag, it's not horrible but it doesn't feel ultra smooth and responsive like the best platformers do. That's it for the bad stuff.

The game looks fantastic with some awesome animations and richly detailed backgrounds. The level design is really solid too so far. Do yourself a favor and play the original game before going into this, it feels like Castle of Illusion but also adds ALOT to it. Lots of secrets and goodies and a Mario 64 style castle hub where you unlock new paintings by collecting gems. It's hard to pinpoint exactly why but I'm also getting a very distinct Klonoa vibe from the game, it might be the gems and the 2.5D perspective but something about it just feels like Klonoa to me.

Maybe I'm crazy haha!

Music is great, getting a major Rare feel from it which makes sense considering the composer. Boss fight was a really cool twist on the original with some new patterns and surprises. I also really like the narrator which does a fantastic job of making the whole thing feel like a fairytale.

I can't wait to play more of this actually, super impressed! I think fans of the original and anyone looking for a cool 2.5D platformer would be well served to check this out unless they are super anal about framerate/responsiveness.

JoeFenix

Holy Fuck. Sleeper gem of the year. Wow.

It's surprisingly good right?

I pre-ordered this completely blind just for the M2 port of the original but I honestly expected it to be crap. Really really impressed with what I've played so far!

It's 3 AM and I have work to do tommorow but all I can think about is playing this damn game right now... HA HA!

Tizoc

Hold up are you using US or EU PSN?
If you're EU PSN then wait til Wednesday for the original game, if you're US then you should've gotten at least the original instantly, with the remake being available when Grace Chen updates the US Store.
...but if you are a US PS member...*goes to check his PSN account*

OMG!!

Dat hub world. This is the TRUEsequel to Super Mario 64 we have all been waiting for! It's like a next gen N64 game! This is real AAA right here. I only completed first level but am loving this so far.

Tizoc

I played this at PAX, I never played the original but it was good. Animation was nice. But it was kind of easy for me (maybe too many platformers) and I THINK the chapter I played was the final chapter maybe.
Stage with a lot of knight armors and the demo ended with a tease of a giant with a huge hammer?
Regardless, will purchase on Steam.

Closest I can think of that is the
Clocktower boss, fuck that guy on the Genesis ver. >=/

30fps is disappointing.

Just beat the first boss and I have to say this is a really pleasant surprise!

I'll get the negatives out of the way, the game runs at 30 fps with some dips in a couple areas but atleast it's nicely v-synced. It also feels like there's some slight input lag, it's not horrible but it doesn't feel ultra smooth and responsive like the best platformers do. That's it for the bad stuff.

The game looks fantastic with some awesome animations and richly detailed backgrounds. The level design is really solid too so far. Do yourself a favor and play the original game before going into this, it feels like Castle of Illusion but also adds ALOT to it. Lots of secrets and goodies and a Mario 64 style castle hub where you unlock new paintings by collecting gems. It's hard to pinpoint exactly why but I'm also getting a very distinct Klonoa vibe from the game, it might be the gems and the 2.5D perspective but something about it just feels like Klonoa to me.

Maybe I'm crazy haha!

Music is great, getting a major Rare feel from it which makes sense considering the composer. Boss fight was a really cool twist on the original with some new patterns and surprises. I also really like the narrator which does a fantastic job of making the whole thing feel like a fairytale.

I can't wait to play more of this actually, super impressed! I think fans of the original and anyone looking for a cool 2.5D platformer would be well served to check this out unless they are super anal about framerate/responsiveness.

Thanks for the impressions, if it's 30 FPS on console, PC will more than likely be 60 FPS.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Waiting to see if GMG will have a deal. Don't really need it to sell me on it, but they are usually ridiculously fast about that so why not? Disney will probably have regions on lockdown so the key market won't do much good.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
So I played the Genesis Version up to about Toy Factory 2, and now just played this version through Toy Factory 1.

I actually really like it! Comparing each part back-to-back for a newbie to the game, The Remake takes the feeling of the old, but adds sensible new twist to things.

It has one thing I don't entirely like (but understand), if you die once or twice at a "challenging" potion, it tosses you back into the regular world, or skips the difficult area entirely, by respawning you after the hard spot. This keeps the pacing going, and keeps you from getting stuck on places, but it still smacks of "comforting modern design", which not all like.

What I DO like though, is that the "Challenging sections" A> Are very naturally integrated into the stage designs, and B> Are the places where most of the "divergent from the original" gameplay seems to occur. So if you just want your tradition 2/5 D game, walk straight on through a stage! If you want to do something like run into 3D depth in a "falling platform" style section, take the bonus section!

To me, Mickey's jump didn't feel as Analog as the original games; you could jump and insta-butbounce to kinda short-hop there, you pretty much HAVE to full jump in this game, and the butt-bounce animation isn't really pronounced on approach, it feels more like "tap button again mid jump to turn descent into KILLING DESCENT!", with the same basic movement.

Music is very fitting, but I feel about it similar to what people said about the Dragon's Crown Soundtrack; it's so classically fitting for the setting, that it feels almost "expected". It feels Disney-like in quality, though, and the rousing gusto to it feels like it belongs in a classic creation.

All in all, I kinda feel like I'm playing Sega's rather solidly-created Sonic-like Stages, but without the demand for SPEED SPEED SPEED that people expect from Sonic. This kinda just lets the designs and world creation show though, and I find I enjoy Sega's style on this more than Mario (which has stages that I feel have too many elements that just DON'T artistically meld together, and don't feel as subtly hinted towards the player.)

Feels like a class act to me, and that's without any Nostalgia for the old game!

Raitaro

Wii U version is very unlikely considering SEGA killed off the development team behind this remake last month.

You know, as stupid as this probably sounds, this very fact prevents me from really getting behind this remake. Even if the game is good, no especially if the game is good, I will always feel bummed out that a similar remake for World of Illusion seems out of the question just because of Sega's odd decision to kill off this studio so soon.

I'll probably still check the Castle of Illusion remake out at some point, but this very scenario dampens my excitement greatly I must admit. Maybe it's the collector in me that always wants to see complete series brought over or something, even when they are digital...

Edit: the fact that this remake actually seems to be very good, going by people's reactions in this thread, makes me even more sad...

Top Bottom