• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castle of Illusion HD starring Mickey Mouse |OT| Once upon a mouse

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
^ It's 449 MB.

Just played the first 4 acts and replayed a couple. Fun game. Platforming feels a tad loose, but I think that's due to the 3d nature of things. I haven't had a difficult time doing whatever I'm trying to do.

I'm looking forward to playing more after work tomorrow, and finding all these collectibles. I appreciate that you don't have to collect all the diamonds in one run, but that they also don't disappear, rather their color changes if you've already found that one.

I didn't even know this game existed until I saw this OT. Never played the original one and after watching some gameplay footage I'm definitely buying this on steam! Thanks for the heads up OP.

Bought this due to being on a Disney platformer nostalgia kick after the (underwhelming) Duck Tales remake. I loved getting the Genny version as a pre-order bonus; however, I was a little disappointed that it lacked trophies. I wasn't aware that it was out yet...PSN usually sends me a message when the games I've pre-ordered are available for download at the store.

Stuart444

Having issues with this on the UK PSN store.

Each of the Castle of Illusion items on my download list that haven't been automatically downloaded, when I click on them, they just say "This is the content you have pre-ordered, expected playable/download date: xxxx if you do not want to download automatically, clear following option"

I hit "okay" and basically nothing I do makes it download even I should be able to now.

Had the same issue yesterday and decided to leave it for PS+ since the expected auto-download date said it would do it that day. (ie yesterday it said "Expected auto-download date: 02/09/2013).

But when I went to the download queue on the web store it said "error" so it didn't download.

Can't figure out what the issue is :/ auto-download doesn't work, can't manually download, etc.

even the dynamic theme won't download.

Tizoc

Having issues with this on the UK PSN store.

Each of the Castle of Illusion items on my download list that haven't been automatically downloaded, when I click on them, they just say "This is the content you have pre-ordered, expected playable/download date: xxxx if you do not want to download automatically, clear following option"

I hit "okay" and basically nothing I do makes it download even I should be able to now.

Had the same issue yesterday and decided to leave it for PS+ since the expected auto-download date said it would do it that day. (ie yesterday it said "Expected auto-download date: 02/09/2013).

But when I went to the download queue on the web store it said "error" so it didn't download.

Can't figure out what the issue is :/ auto-download doesn't work, can't manually download, etc.

even the dynamic theme won't download.

I'm having similar issues with Puppeteer on UK PSN- i TRy to download the theme and avatars but they don't show up.
Guess you gotta wait til Wednesday for your stuff to be downloadable from EU PSN.

Stuart444

I'm having similar issues with Puppeteer on UK PSN- i TRy to download the theme and avatars but they don't show up.
Guess you gotta wait til Wednesday for your stuff to be downloadable from EU PSN.

It's weird for me because another pre-order of mines (Ducktales) worked perfectly fine, was able to 'pre-load' it before the release date (and keep in mind Castle of Illusion on the download list for me lists it as "downloadable from 02/09/2013" which means I should be able to download it now manually) without having to wait til Wednesday.

So I really don't know what's wrong.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
^ It's 449 MB.

Just played the first 4 acts and replayed a couple. Fun game. Platforming feels a tad loose, but I think that's due to the 3d nature of things. I haven't had a difficult time doing whatever I'm trying to do.

I'm looking forward to playing more after work tomorrow, and finding all these collectibles. I appreciate that you don't have to collect all the diamonds in one run, but that they also don't disappear, rather their color changes if you've already found that one.
60 fps?

flowsnake

Very wary of this because it looks so different to the original, and the last Castle of Illusion tribute turned out to be mediocre, but I'll keep an eye on it.

Tizoc

Very wary of this because it looks so different to the original, and the last Castle of Illusion tribute turned out to be mediocre, but I'll keep an eye on it.

It's a remake, that can usually mean there'll be changes from the original, but read some of the impressions on this and previous page, and you can see it's a good platformer.

Tizoc

Hmm...I just checked the store description, it says you have to preorder until September 2nd.

Hrmph dunno in this case then ^^; I assumed EU PSN members had 1 extra day for the pre-order, but if you're still interested in the game get it via EU PSN, otherwise if you want the best version, you can get it on Steam.

flowsnake

It's a remake, that can usually mean there'll be changes from the original, but read some of the impressions on this and previous page, and you can see it's a good platformer.

From what I've seen it's more than changes, looks like nothing but superficial things are retained. Which is fine in itself, but I don't really consider it a remake in the vein of ducktales.

Stooo

Neo Member
Hmm...I just checked the store description, it says you have to preorder until September 2nd.

I've just preordered it just now, and it's added the theme and several avatars to my download queue, along with 3 Castle of Illusion files. I assume the Megadrive version is in there...

Replicant

The original's jump and stomp mechanic was annoying. I hope the remake is a bit better.

Well, queued the remake for download on my PS3. Hopefully it's done by the time I arrive home.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
So I played the Genesis Version up to about Toy Factory 2, and now just played this version through Toy Factory 1.

I actually really like it! Comparing each part back-to-back for a newbie to the game, The Remake takes the feeling of the old, but adds sensible new twist to things.

It has one thing I don't entirely like (but understand), if you die once or twice at a "challenging" potion, it tosses you back into the regular world, or skips the difficult area entirely, by respawning you after the hard spot. This keeps the pacing going, and keeps you from getting stuck on places, but it still smacks of "comforting modern design", which not all like.

What I DO like though, is that the "Challenging sections" A> Are very naturally integrated into the stage designs, and B> Are the places where most of the "divergent from the original" gameplay seems to occur. So if you just want your tradition 2/5 D game, walk straight on through a stage! If you want to do something like run into 3D depth in a "falling platform" style section, take the bonus section!

To me, Mickey's jump didn't feel as Analog as the original games; you could jump and insta-butbounce to kinda short-hop there, you pretty much HAVE to full jump in this game, and the butt-bounce animation isn't really pronounced on approach, it feels more like "tap button again mid jump to turn descent into KILLING DESCENT!", with the same basic movement.

Music is very fitting, but I feel about it similar to what people said about the Dragon's Crown Soundtrack; it's so classically fitting for the setting, that it feels almost "expected". It feels Disney-like in quality, though, and the rousing gusto to it feels like it belongs in a classic creation.

All in all, I kinda feel like I'm playing Sega's rather solidly-created Sonic-like Stages, but without the demand for SPEED SPEED SPEED that people expect from Sonic. This kinda just lets the designs and world creation show though, and I find I enjoy Sega's style on this more than Mario (which has stages that I feel have too many elements that just DON'T artistically meld together, and don't feel as subtly hinted towards the player.)

Feels like a class act to me, and that's without any Nostalgia for the old game!
WHen you say "challenging portion" are we talking about optional bonus areas? If so it's not so bad if it spawns you past it for dying there. But if the game makes you skip normal areas of the game just for dying on a challenging area...ugh.

Tizoc

No more butt stomping. Just jump on them and hold jump down for longer bounce as you come off their heads.

That didn't sound right...

So wait now it's like the Mario games where you can defeat them just by jumping on them? I personally liked the butt stomp concept in the original game, at least for the time it made it stand out from traditional platformers.

Tizoc

With trophies titled "Quackshot" and "World of Illusion" I hope that that's a sign of things to come...

While the chances are slim, I'll still hold on to that 1% chance for remakes of those, even if they're Steam only ;.;

Do we really not know what happened to the team that made this game? What companies did they join, etc.?

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Well some reviews have come in. Mostly good stuff so far. Eurogamer gave it a 7. A couple other reviews I read gave it 4 out of 5. Only bad one so far is a 4 out of 10, which complains about bad controls. Haters gonna hate ha ha!

Ok I just read another that gave it a 5 and also complained about controls.

Tizoc

Well some reviews have come in. Mostly good stuff so far. Eurogamer gave it a 7. A couple other reviews I read gave it 4 out of 5. Only bad one so far is a 4 out of 10, which complains about bad controls. Haters gonna hate ha ha!

If it's not too much trouble, could you please link to these reviews, or make a thread for them?
I'm leaving work soon and can't open some sites here ^^;

Harlock

Mega Drive forever! I love this level, walking between big books and inside milk bottles.

1150863_10151825725284738_1295194137_n.jpg

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
If it's not too much trouble, could you please link to these reviews, or make a thread for them?
I'm leaving work soon and can't open some sites here ^^;

I literally just google searched castle of illusion reviews. All the ones I've read are on the first page of a google search. But I shall edit this post with links to those reviews in a sec anyway. If you don't want to wait for that feel free to just google search castle of illusion reviews.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-09-03-castle-of-illusion-starring-mickey-mouse-review - Eurogamer 7/10
http://metro.co.uk/2013/09/03/castle-of-illusion-starring-mickey-mouse-review-disney-hd-3948278/ - Metro 5/10
http://www.denofgeek.com/games/castle-of-illusion/27142/castle-of-illusion-xbox-360-review - Denofgeek 4/5
http://www.videogamer.com/reviews/castle_of_illusion_mickey_mouse_review.html - videogamer 4/10
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/...w-360-hd-revival-is-classic-disney-magic.html - digitalspy 4/5
http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2013/09/03/castle-of-illusion-starring-mickey-mouse-review-psn-xbla-pc/ - thesixaxis 7/10

God I hate reviews that whine about difficulty in a platformer. Fucking modern generation pansies. This game is aimed at the 16 bit generation. It may be mickey mouse and mickey may be appealing to kids, but the bulk of the people that are buying this game are the people that grew up with the 16 bit era and want a nostalgia fix. Not kids. Part of that nostalgia fix is level design that actually offers a bit of challenge.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
WHen you say "challenging portion" are we talking about optional bonus areas? If so it's not so bad if it spawns you past it for dying there. But if the game makes you skip normal areas of the game just for dying on a challenging area...ugh.

Here's my examples:
Stage 1-1: Died in the "Spiderweb" area. Was kicked out to a path in the woods, directed to continue on after about 2 deaths from bad jumps.

First death at Rolling apple restarted at beginning. 2nd Dropped me right at the exit door.

Stage 1.2: Dropped out of clouds stage making a bad jump. Was set back on the ground safely, but able to march right back to area and complete it properly.

Didn't get any deaths after that, but those were my experiences. It mostly seems like a way to shoo away frustration for the modern gamer, and the fact that the stages are compact and well-themed makes it so, even if you miss a segment, you'll be happy to go back and perfect it for secrets / time trials / getting gems.

Seeing reviews complain about difficulty, I think this is the proper default choice, and actually works positively towards making a gamer want to rerun a stage.

Ok I just read another that gave it a 5 and also complained about controls.

Actually, I find it funny... when I played the Genesis version, I was surprised Mickey had a bit of "slide" to his landings (using D Pad) that felt looser than I wanted. Yet I find myself better able to land my jumps perfectly in the Remake.

The lack of "analog jump" feels weird, but the game design feels like it's perfectly made for the new controls. The lag time on throwing seems similar to the Genesis game (like they prioritize animation over instant action), but the jumps are spry enough to let me dodge things at the last instance, and still make it.

Replicant

No more butt stomping. Just jump on them and hold jump down for longer bounce as you come off their heads.

That didn't sound right...

Yes, I'm glad for the change. Didn't care for the butt stomping. Although I do feel the control seems a bit slippery this time around in the remake.

Heh.....

Tizoc

I literally just google searched castle of illusion reviews. All the ones I've read are on the first page of a google search. But I shall edit this post with links to those reviews in a sec anyway. If you don't want to wait for that feel free to just google search castle of illusion reviews.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-09-03-castle-of-illusion-starring-mickey-mouse-review - Eurogamer 7/10
http://metro.co.uk/2013/09/03/castle-of-illusion-starring-mickey-mouse-review-disney-hd-3948278/ - Metro 5/10
http://www.denofgeek.com/games/castle-of-illusion/27142/castle-of-illusion-xbox-360-review - Denofgeek 4/5
http://www.videogamer.com/reviews/castle_of_illusion_mickey_mouse_review.html - videogamer 4/10
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/...w-360-hd-revival-is-classic-disney-magic.html - digitalspy 4/5
http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2013/09/03/castle-of-illusion-starring-mickey-mouse-review-psn-xbla-pc/ - thesixaxis 7/10

God I hate reviews that whine about difficulty in a platformer. Fucking modern generation pansies. This game is aimed at the 16 bit generation. It may be mickey mouse and mickey may be appealing to kids, but the bulk of the people that are buying this game are the people that grew up with the 16 bit era and want a nostalgia fix. Not kids. Part of that nostalgia fix is level design that actually offers a bit of challenge.
Thanks! Gonna update first post and then make a thread for it to garner more interest in the game =)

My brother is getting his ass kicked by the final boss of MGR, hope he calls it quits soon so I can start dling the remake XO.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Here's my examples:
Stage 1-1: Died in the "Spiderweb" area. Was kicked out to a path in the woods, directed to continue on after about 2 deaths from bad jumps.

First death at Rolling apple restarted at beginning. 2nd Dropped me right at the exit door.

Spider area in Act 1 was weird. The entire early portion of the level showed off some loot to get in the background of the forest that I couldn't figure out how to reach. Only after dying in the spiderweb section and being booted back to the 3D signpost hub, I tried walking the different paths and was able to get all that loot. This led to the apple chase and the end of level.

Now I wonder what I missed if I actually completed the spider section. Just some collectible like the cloud section in the next level?

Crazy that a second death against the apple basically skips the section. I beat it without dying, but damn I would be pissed for patronizing me after only two failed attempts.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
What I get from the game, is that beating things like the Spider Area will lead to Playing Cards or other collectables, while the normal path *without the additions* is all you need to clear the stage.

The Apple-clear section did annoy me, as I kept falling because I wanted to "short hop" like I recently did with Ducktales, lol, for lower-height, mode distance jumps, rather than higher-height, less distance leaps to death. Of course, this didn't work, and I just ended up judging the leaps wrong.

I ran right back into the stage after that unsatisfying clear, and regained some dignity, lol.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Spider area in Act 1 was weird. The entire early portion of the level showed off some loot to get in the background of the forest that I couldn't figure out how to reach. Only after dying in the spiderweb section and being booted back to the 3D signpost hub, I tried walking the different paths and was able to get all that loot. This led to the apple chase and the end of level.

Now I wonder what I missed if I actually completed the spider section. Just some collectible like the cloud section in the next level?
Yes, IIRC there was one of the unique collectibles at the end.

Crazy that a second death against the apple basically skips the section. I beat it without dying, but damn I would be pissed for patronizing me after only two failed attempts.

This is weird, because I spent a number of deaths on the apple section trying to get all the diamonds, and I wasn't thrown to the end. From my experience, it's not like the other diversion areas I've come across, where if you make it to the end you get a collectible but if you fall you're kicked out of the area.

Top Bottom