• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castle of Illusion HD starring Mickey Mouse |OT| Once upon a mouse

Ferr986

My brother is getting his ass kicked by the final boss of MGR, hope he calls it quits soon so I can start dling the remake XO.

lol its going to take him a while to beat it, its damn hard.

Anyways, its nice to see that the remake is good. Cant wait to play it. I hope they add a cheap dlc of the original for 360 users.

Just wondering if I am only person who preferred the master system / game gear version of this game to the mega drive / genesis.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
lol its going to take him a while to beat it, its damn hard.

Anyways, its nice to see that the remake is good. Cant wait to play it. I hope they add a cheap dlc of the original for 360 users.

I wouldn't be surprised if after a while Sega release the mega drive original as a stand alone game for every system. Get the max amount of sales they can from this remake then release the original. They're clearly capable of putting it up whenever they like considering it's a pre order bonus for ps3.

halfbeast

Banned
well, that was kinda fast. beat the game in 2 hours.

*sigh*

I'd say it's a great platformer and a great remake. but goddamn that LAAAAAG! I don't know what's causing it, but sometimes it starts to lag horribly, attacks get delayed and in some 2D > 3D switches I couldn't jump! :O

I'm curious if you guys had similar problems (ps3 version obviously).

edit: just read the videogamer review - they had the same problems on the 360, so yeah. :/

Yes Boss!

I went throught the first twoworlds and bosses during lunch.

Seems pretty sweet to me. Nice level that put a little twist on the original. Great disney fell with the music and effects.

Only got this for the Genesis port but as bonus I'm going to play through it.

Only negatives so far: frame rate is low and the Dualshock 3 sucks Other than that game is great for a little platformer.

Only thing I hate is that they replaced the ghosts from the cartoon with generic ghosts. Why?

600full-lonesome-ghosts-screenshot.jpg

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Ok I just played the trial which contains the first level. Controls are flawless. Do not understand where any control complaints are coming from. I can land exactly where I want to with precision. There's no input lag. Do not listen to reviews when it comes to complaints about controls.

halfbeast

Banned
Ok I just played the trial which contains the first level. Controls are flawless. Do not understand where any control complaints are coming from. I can land exactly where I want to with precision. There's no input lag. Do not listen to reviews when it comes to complaints about controls.

it happens later, didn't notice it at the beginning, it gets worse once you get to the end.

Jucksalbe

Banned
EU version can now be downloaded. You can play the remake, but you still have to wait to play the original version.

Edit: The unlock key for the remake isn't working yet, so all you get is the demo version. It unlocks in about 2.5 hours.

Tizoc

Gonna take time for me to get used to the controls and Mickey's movements in this game, but so far the music is awesome and the graphics look good.
Getting all 800 Gems is gonna be a bit of a pain lol.

Stuart444

EU version can now be downloaded. You can play the remake, but you still have to wait to play the original version.

Edit: The unlock key for the remake isn't working yet, so all you get is the demo version. It unlocks in about 2.5 hours.

Thank you for the heads up :)

full version should unlock in 3 hours along with the classic version (due to GMT+1 time for us UKers, it unlocks at 12am GMT)

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
My brother is getting his ass kicked by the final boss of MGR, hope he calls it quits soon so I can start dling the remake XO.

Man that mgr final boss took me a few hours alone. Damned cutting qte. Always failed that.

Stuart444

For EU folks, the game is unlocked! The bonus stuff isn't though...

See above, it's just a demo. Once you get through the first act, it puts you back to the beginning of the game. (At least it did for me). Should be unlocked properly at 1am.

hawk2025

Yep, I love this remake. Actually, it's more of a reimagining of the original.

I didn't expect the 3D platforming sections to be any good, but they are a great touch to the game and work very well. It feels like a lot of heart was put into this game. My only minor disappointment (PS3 version) is the framerate in certain spots, but everything from the level design to the gameplay, to the "hub" castle design is simply great fun.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
how long would you say it took to beat?

Just beat it myself. About 2 hours.

Really liked their re-interpretations of all the bosses, especially the jack-in-the-box.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Mario 64 is a short game, too. You just didn't notice because you were learning how to control things in 3D.

Actually, I think all good platformers are short. They make up for it by being magical, or by requiring you to go through all of it in one run, but you can game over before that.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Mario 64 is a short game, too. You just didn't notice because you were learning how to control things in 3D.

Actually, I think all good platformers are short. They make up for it by being magical, or by requiring you to go through all of it in one run, but you can game over before that.

I didn't play Mario 64 until 11 years after it came out, and I was well versed in tons of 3D platformers before I played it. I knew how to control things in 3D fine when I played it. It was not short in the slightest. Though to be fair that's largely because the length was padded out by forcing you to play the same stages over and over again to get the various stars in each stage.

Lijik

yeah mario 64 is something like 4-6ish hours if you do the bare minimum to get to the last bowser

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Is there anything left to do or are you 100% finished?
I still have quite a few collectibles to pick up. Gonna enjoy going back to find every last pepper, card, and statue. So there's a decent amount of replay value.

and even though I acquired 734/800 gems the first time around, the remaining ones seem to be pretty well hidden. For some reason the last 3 gems in the very first stage are still alluding me lol. edit: nvm found 'em! These levels are very well designed.

SegaShack

2 hours long? 75% off sale it is.

A lot of the best games ever are shorter than this, length =/= quality. The classic Sonic and Mario titles are all some of the best designed and most replayable games around (endless entertainment), time should not be an indicator of whether to purchase a game. I definitely would not want to play a game like this if it took 3 or more hours to beat, keep it short and sweet.

Yes Boss!

Yeah,

I beat it in about three hours.

But I'm going to go back and go for 100% which will likely take a few more hours.

Game is perfectly fine in length. Also, they really nailed the cinematic (in a Disney) sense. Fantastic music and sound effects...quite often reminds me of being in a ride at Disneyland.

-MD-

A lot of the best games ever are shorter than this, length =/= quality. The classic Sonic and Mario titles are all some of the best designed and most replayable games around (endless entertainment), time should not be an indicator of whether to purchase a game. I definitely would not want to play a game like this if it took 3 or more hours to beat, keep it short and sweet.

Short games are fine, I just don't want to drop $15 on something I'll beat in one sitting if I can help it.

Catalix

Yeah, this game's main story length wasn't a problem for me at all. In fact, it feels just about right for an old school style platformer. Keep in mind the original CoI was actually much, much shorter. New platforming content was added to the remake in order to flesh out the experience a bit more. There's also plenty of replay value with collectibles and time trials.

The remake is beautiful and thoughtfully reimagined. A lot of cool little surprises if you're a fan of the original. If old school platformers are your thing, I think it's totally worth the full price of admission.

Yuterald

Man, I think this game's the closest I'm going to get to a Klonoa-style platformer. Between the gem collecting and the on rail/pseudo-3D platforming, I can't help but to think of Klonoa. Game's cool so far. Totally scratching that old school, PS2-era platformer despite being a remake of a Genesis game.

Yes Boss!

The remake is beautiful and thoughtfully reimagined. A lot of cool little surprises if you're a fan of the original. If old school platformers are your thing, I think it's totally worth the full price of admission.

This really can't be stated enough. Levels like the clock world are crazy nice. I also loved the bosses...some of the perspective changes mix is up nice mid-boss. I actually went back in to the first world again to collect gems and, yep, just great. Sound design is exceptional for a $15 title (I was playing with headphones).

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The fucking Castle music is so Banjo Kazooie-y it hurts. If you didn't know it was Kirkhope before, you knew it as soon as you spent time in there.

This is the best Disney game remake. These guys should do all the other Disney platformer remakes. Oh wait Sega closed them down because Sega. And it's real weird having JUST played the original then playing this version. It's a quality remake because you can still tell all the parts from the original, and I actually enjoy the 3d casual puzzles.

Bladenic

So after beating the second world... I have no idea how some of these review scores are so low. This game is amazing.

I can't believe the studio that made this has already been closed down. Pure blasphemy.

I don't think it's a good idea to play this back to back with Rayman Legends. Also 2hrs? I've already been stung before by pretty graphics with Deadlight.

Top Bottom