• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castle of Illusion HD starring Mickey Mouse |OT| Once upon a mouse

ViviOggi

Doesn't Valve have anyone checking out if a game about to be released is actually ready? This is the weirdest way I've seen a Steam launch fail thus far.
Not even a week since Rayman Legends was unplayable for several hours due to missing Uplay keys (which wasn't even mentioned on the store page at the time) as well, what's the deal with platformers really

TentPole

It is now saying that the download is 906Mb. No idea if it will run and I am not downloading it again until I get confirmation.

arit

After restarting Steam it is now downloading additional 716MB, though I do not understand why steam hasn't detected the corrupt download before the restart, even after verifying the local game cache.

Does anyone know where the config file is for this game? Changing the resolution has buggered it up, and I need to get back to default.

ViviOggi

It's locked to 30fps and there doesn't seem to be an .ini or the like in My Documents. There are literally four files in the install folder: COI.exe, an empty Content.txt, an 800 MB data.pak and the steam_api.dll.

This is a major bummer for me, hope there'll be a way to unlock it soon.

kencey

It's locked to 30fps and there doesn't seem to be an .ini or the like in My Documents. There are literally four files in the install folder: COI.exe, an empty Content.txt, an 800 MB data.pak and the steam_api.dll.

30 fps...30 fps ??? *facepalm*

Eusis

Come the fuck on, it's a platformer. How could they fail to keep in mind people would want to play in 60 FPS if possible and design accordingly? I just hope this is a game that's capable of it rather than a game where the game has to have more extensive hacks to hit 60 FPS.

Does kind of make it a situation where it didn't really matter I got on PSN I guess, higher resolution would be nice but doesn't actually matter as much as a higher FPS, nevermind the original for free on PSN.

Tizoc

Durante where are you? Worse port than Dark Souls confirmed?

Hey PS3 ver. of the game runs fine, if this is like the PS3 ver. then how can it be a terrible port =P
...but nah I'm sure someone will be able to 'unlock' the frame rate in due time.

I beat the game in ps3 last night. There were some parts in later level with def slow down but it took nothing away from my enjoyment of the game. It's perfectly playable. Typical ps3 hyperbole.

I am actually kind of desperate to find out where this game stores its config file so I can play it. I set it to 1080 and now it's giving me "out of range" errors. Even a reinstall didn't fix it. ;_;

OK, I've found a handful of related keys in the registry but I'm not sure which ones to erase... do I delete all keys relating to the Steam app?

arit

I was confused with the ingame resolution settings, as it starts in 720p, but preselects 1080 within the video settings....

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SSA\COI seems to have resolution settings.

Sadly, I have not found any language settings yet and I do not know why it starts in german, since I use an english Win 7 installation and steam is set to english.

EDIT: Seems to use the settings of region->format (not even region->location).

I was confused with the ingame resolution settings, as it starts in 720p, but preselects 1080 within the video settings....

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SSA\COI seems to have resolution settings.

Sadly, I have not found any language settings yet and I do not know why it starts in german, since I use an english Win 7 installation and steam is set to english.

That fixed it. Thank you so much. ^_^

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Shit, I blindly purchased this on the PC on the assumption that it would be 60 fps. What a load of shit. I want my money back.

Nillansan

Shit, I blindly purchased this on the PC on the assumption that it would be 60 fps. What a load of shit. I want my money back.

Hopefully someone will find a way to unlock it and hopefully it isn't tied to the animations in such a manner that would cause issues if it were to be unlocked.

ViviOggi

I'm still shocked at how awful this port is. It's a joke.

Is there any way to get a refund on this?

You can open a support ticket but the first thing they'll try is most likely to fob you off. Google should lead you to some advice on how to successfully get a refund on Steam though.

Enk

makes good threads.
The hell at the framerate on the PC version. I also blindly purchased this assuming it was going to be 60fps. :-<

arit

And finished. So people who are paid to play games are saying that it is a hard game? Sure I died a few times due to some hitbox issues, dropped inputs and a few time where the camera could have been a little bit snappier, but it is not really a hard game.

daydream

Banned
Blazed through the first world and I'm liking it a lot. Looks, sounds and plays great!

I reaaally hope the original gets a separate release for those who missed out on the preorder package or got it on XBLA/Steam.

ViviOggi

Holy fuck that input lag. Decided to give it another shot on my TV after getting turned off by the fps lock and desperately looking for a fix but I simply can't enjoy the game in its current state. Everything, even the menu, feels horribly unresponsive and I've been missing the easiest jumps just because of how uncomfortably Mickey controls.

Here's hoping for a quick fix because the game itself looks lovely.

And finished. So people who are paid to play games are saying that it is a hard game? Sure I died a few times due to some hitbox issues, dropped inputs and a few time where the camera could have been a little bit snappier, but it is not really a hard game.

I thought it was a pretty easy game overall.

Also I feel weird posting my own review but it went up earlier here. Falls on the higher end of scores so far. Really loved the game. Didn't experience any of the input lag I've seen some other mention. (PS3 version for me.)

For a bit of background: Castle of Illusion was one of the very first video games I LOVED, when I wasn't playing Sonic 1 or 2, Castle of Illusion was usually my go-to title on my Mega Drive and I adored it along with World of Illusion.

So hearing this was going to be remade but in 3D, that filled me with joy (that Disney had finally acknowledged they had a rich video gaming past to mine from + rekindle some old partnerships) but also worried me (Disney and video games can be a bit of a dodgy prospect in the past decade or so...)

I've played up to the penultimate stage and can say it's a very worthy upgrade to the classic. Yeah theres a few niggles here and there, mostly just that *occasionally* the collision detection glitches out, and there are clearly some optimisation issues in spots, because the game suffers moments of slowdown, but it's not really a deal breaker. (Also what the heck happened with the Cave/Geyser theme, everything else musically is tip top, but the new theme for that level just doesn't feel as epic)

Ironic that Sega of Austraila also manage to capture Mickey's personality so easilly in their model animation, something Epic Mickey never quite managed ingame. Even little non gameplay details like the chirping birds in Vera Forest are great.

The sweets level though, that level is pretty much the stuff dreams are made of <3

halfbeast

Banned
was the 60 fps even confirmed or just an assumption?

I forgot about the ps3 preorder with the genesis game and this snuck up on me. If I buy it now on ps3 does it have the emulated original included?

nope, sorry, that bonus is gone. but it would be stupid to not sell the game on the store sometime later!

Tizoc

60 FPS was an assumption sad to say, but I think some will manage to get the frame rate to 60 FPS in due time.

Re: The Mega Drive bonus version.

It's nice to have and gives you the options of US, Japan and Europe ROMs to run. Lacks trophies, so it's unlikely to get a standalone release though... unless they add something to it later.

Top Bottom