• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castle Shikigami 2 hype thread! (AKA the world needs more 2d Shooters)

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Retailing for an extremely sexy $9.99, the GAF crowd better not overlook this title. It shipped TODAY, and I can't wait. I actually got more enjoyment out of Mobile Light Force 2 than I did Ikaruga. I my friend and I played the game to death in 2P mode.

Reasons you should be interested: 1) It looks to be a pretty fantastic 2D shooter at best, and a worthwhile distration at worst. 2) It's 10 dollars brand new! Those of who who are picking up things like Katamari thanks to their low price would do well to add Castle Shikigami 2 to their list as well. You won't even notice the money is gone. For those of you who enjoy acting on impulse, here ya go:

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/245170.asp

The $10 charge on your credit card will barely be noticed when the bill comes, and in Nov. you'll be basking in the glory that is a well-designed 2D shooter. Obligatory screens:

castle-shikigami-2-20040801031815147.jpg

castle-shikigami-2-20040801031817756.jpg

castle-shikigami-2-20040801031821334.jpg

castle-shikigami-2-20040801031822037.jpg

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
$9.99?!?!

that's a bargain!

even better, you lot get Gradius 5 for $19.99!

... drooooool, Graaaadius 5.....

Castle Shikigami 2 is great fun, though I've heard the PS2 version has flaws... Hopefully that isn't true.

I've got Gradius V preordered ;). Couldn't pass that up for 20$...

aku:jiki

Uncle Dukey said:
though I've heard the PS2 version has flaws...
It has bad slowdown.

I mean, in a modern shooter devs will use slowdown as a part of the level design, and in the PS2 version of this game the slowdown is very choppy. So you'll be dying without it being your fault. This, however, is only of real concern to the highscore addicts. For everyone else the game's an awesome purchase at $10.

Edit: Oh, you can turn off the slowdown in it. That requires huge testicles, though.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
You could also turn the Slowdown off in the first one on PS2, too.

Not sure why this wasn't known among people that read the reviews or (listened to) people that bought the game.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
Well, I mean, I've seen you write about how shitty the PS2 rev's slowdown is on this game, and you're certainly not the only one.

Meanwhile both games have had the WAIT: ON|OFF option sitting in the system menu the entire time. So, I just don't know why this wasn't common knowledge among people that actually pay attention to shooters.

It is, as far as I know. But personally, I feel the game should be played with the slowdown since that's how the arcade game was designed and how the intended gaming experience is. I guess it's like how I don't use the slowdown-on-the-fly-button in Dodonpachi PSX. That's not how Cave designed the game originally.

D2M15 said:
Go back and play Bujingai for 1000+ hit counts then, you big meanie.
I really wanted to, honest! :(

That one wall-climbing thing in the Cloud Sea level completely killed it for me last night. :(

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Hmm, those screens look a bit different from the Dreamcast version (character portaits on the left and right sides, for example). Fun game, though.

dark10x said:
Hmm, those screens look a bit different from the Dreamcast version
Are you sure they're not there, somewhere in the options, on DC? It's just TATE-fillers for those who aren't flipping their electronics, and part 1 had that as well so I don't see why the DC version wouldn't.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
aku:jiki said:
Are you sure they're not there, somewhere in the options, on DC? It's just TATE-fillers for those who aren't flipping their electronics, and part 1 had that as well so I don't see why the DC version wouldn't.

Nope.

All you have is...

Screen Mode (horizontal and vertical modes)
Game Difficulty
Life Recovery
Auto Save
Button Assign
System Load
System Save
Sound
BGM Test
BGM Volume
SE Volume
Voice Volume
Exit

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i shouldn't take that first shot to imply that tate mode's been left in the us version, should i?

anyway, shikigami 2's a fine game. buzzing is good fun, and there's quite a bit of scoring depth if you're inclined to explore it, but it can also be played fairly spontaneously and casually. it's got some original bullet patterns, and the characters and their attacks are really varied and well designed.

shuri said:
Wait, i think that came out for xbox and dc? I heard it was pretty awfully bad and generic
You just heard differently from drohne, a dude I trust when it comes to shooters and so should you.

And it came out for PS2/DC/GC/XB/PC.

Fularu

Banned
aku:jiki said:
It has bad slowdown.

I mean, in a modern shooter devs will use slowdown as a part of the level design, and in the PS2 version of this game the slowdown is very choppy. So you'll be dying without it being your fault. This, however, is only of real concern to the highscore addicts. For everyone else the game's an awesome purchase at $10.

Edit: Oh, you can turn off the slowdown in it. That requires huge testicles, though.

slowdown always turned off here..

maybe that's why I haven't passed the 4th stage on one credit yet :p

GDJustin

Bump. I know bumps aren't allowed around here, but the game was RELEASED today, so I thought an exception could be made :D :D :D

To answer a question asked months ago, yes tate mode has been left in.

Looks like it is indeed out and available in stores. Has anybody picked it up yet? I'm curious if you can switch off the voices, since the Japanese voices were axed in favor of space for the English dub.

GDJustin

jiji said:
Looks like it is indeed out and available in stores. Has anybody picked it up yet? I'm curious if you can switch off the voices, since the Japanese voices were axed in favor of space for the English dub.

Sony made them out in american voice, actually. XS said so themselves.

According to their forum post here, SCEA made the English voices mandatory and there wasn't room to include the Japanese voices as well. Of course, if the game is on a DVD-ROM I'm calling shenanigans.

belgurdo

Banned
jiji said:
According to their forum post here, SCEA made the English voices mandatory and there wasn't room to include the Japanese voices as well. Of course, if the game is on a DVD-ROM I'm calling shenanigans.

They're so full of shit :lol

And this game has mikos, i'm interested in it very much. Love those uniforms

miko.jpg

Top Bottom