• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania Community Thread | What is a man?!

kunonabi

I look nothing like my my Mii picture. It was actually a poor attempt at Juste Belmont from Castlevania: Harmony Of Dissonance. What can I say? I'm a fan of the artwork for the Castlevania Series.

Dawn Of Sorrow is one of my Handheld Games of the 7th Generation. It was also the first game to sell me on the idea of a Castlevania game where the main game did not feature a whip.

Also, I have said this in the past - I've always thought it very much a shame that we never saw a Castlevania game on the Wii with whip, scale and hook pointer controls. That would've been pretty cool.

Heart Of Fire is probably my favourite track, including its different arrangements.

Bloody Tears played on piano is a beautiful masterpiece, and my favourite arrangement of that track.

play Pandora's Tower. It's the closest we're gonna get and a good game on it's own right.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
with the right card combinations you can beat the shit out from everything.

Still hard as fuck; both CotM and HoD had pretty difficult Draculas. The dual battle of PoR was brutal too.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
No, no, no, I'm the one getting recommendations! Haha. I was talking about Dracula in OoE. I decided to go with CotM because of the challenge stated in what I quoted. Sorry to confuse!

Great! Dracula in CotM is one of the hardest Dracula fights in the series. Thief mode is the best for challenge, but you have to beat the game on the four previous modes before you unlock it. (Vampire Killer, Fighter, Magician, Hunter). Unless of course, you have a used cartridge with everything already beaten. In any case, all modes besides Fighter and to an extent, Vampire Killer, are challenging in their own ways.

Sgblues

Still hard as fuck; both CotM and HoD had pretty difficult Draculas. The dual battle of PoR was brutal too.

Haha I wished that both Dracula and Death had their own life bars in POR instead of a sharing one, also if Death switched resistances during the final battle.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
I am a huge Castlevania fan. I have almost everything and some other goodies. I can't wait for more stuff to come out <3 !

LordAlu

Watching how broken SOTN can be on SGDQ was one hell of an eye-opener. The food and heart container glitches and clipping through random walls. The Level 1 run was immense. :O

Watching how broken SOTN can be on SGDQ was one hell of an eye-opener. The food and heart container glitches and clipping through random walls. The Level 1 run was immense. :O

Totally. I started sotn earlier this week and I hacked out an archived run, and I'm totally doing it wrong lol

Croyles

I love all the old school Castlevania's + SOTN although I was never very good at the NES and SNES era ones.

LoS was good in some places and boring in others.

also

Banned
So finished Castlevania NES twice. Is there any point in playing further? The second playthrough adds more enemies and increases their speed but the 3rd playthrough seems unchanged.

I must say that I was really surprised at how frequent the whip upgrades were and that you kept them after getting damaged. Must be a side effect of playing Adventure for too long. Nonetheless, this game seemed way harder (mainly due to the bosses), so I appreciated the extra range and power.
Also, holy water and triple shot make Death a total joke. The first time I beat him with the boomerang and it took me a ton of attempts but for my second run I figured that there must be a better way so I looked it up on YouTube and *bam*, the battle was over before it even began. Felt really cheap, but also really satisfying. Screw those flying scythes.

Harmony of Despair becomes a lot more fun when you get either of the movement speed shoes.

Yep, I'm still working on getting either the Winged Boots, or hopefully, the Sonic Boots.

I did just get Dracula's Tunic, though :) btw, are there any similar non-Castlevania games like HoD, barring traditional MMOs?

Unfortunately HoD on PS3 can be a barren landscape. We need more players!
Add me on PSN: TheLamonster

Ok, so I've finished SOTN, COTM, HOD, and AOS. (JP versions, since I'm in Tokyo)

My updated thoughts on them:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SOTN: Still classic, still awesome, still totally breakable. Once you get the right equipment, the castle just crumbles at your feet.

Perhaps nostalgia is paying a large part (played this make when it came out), but I can't get enough of this game. Maybe its similar to Ocarina of Time of Mario 64. Because it was my first, it'll always be my favorite.

I also really like the amount and variety of equipment to use/collect. (two hands, head, body, cape, two accessories) The later game simplified this greatly (reducing it to 3 or 4 slots only... compare Final Fantasy 6 equipment to FF13 equipment)

Speaking of items, this game just simple has SO MUCH in it. All the different weapons and armor (pretty sure its more than the others), familiars, sub-weapons AND spells... there is a TON in this game.

Fully Completed Time: 10 hours (as in, full percentage)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

COTM: I was wrong, this game is awesome. Quite short, as all the handheld ones are (so far), but quite tough. In SOTN, you could just kinda spam attacks for the most part and win. In this game... lol nope.

I still stand by my original statement that something feels different than the others. Seems like a lot of platforms were placed just to have you jumping a lot. I feel the others had a more organic, logical layout of rooms.

The DSS magic card things is really cool, and allows for a seemingly limited number of items to be used in seemingly endless ways. Lots of fun to just try all the combinations.

Fully Completed Time: 8 hours (game time. In real time it was much more, because I died a lot)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HOD: Definitely feels like IGA made it. Feels like an updated version of COTM, but with really, really grating music. I've heard the remixes, and the potential was certainly there. But, whether it was the compression or what, it just didn't work. At first I liked the 8-bit throwback feeling, then I realized it wasn't on purpose... :\

This game is much easier than COTM, and a lot more tedious. In SOTN, there is the
Upside Down Castle
which makes it feel completely different, like you are
exploring 2 completely different castles.

In this one, its just
the same one twice
, with some enemy updates and different backgrounds. So, you're basically playing
the same game twice, but having to constantly switch back between the two
which makes it very confusing. Even looking at a map online, its hard to figure out where you want/need to go.

Fully Completed Time: 7 hours

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AOS: Oooohhhh Doctor! Here's the real deal. SOTN sprites, very detailed backgrounds, awesome music. Everything is right here. This game is awesome, looks and feels very similar to SOTN.

Instead of whips from COTM and HOD, you actually collect weapons and equipment (although not as fleshed out as SOTN, but still enough to make collecting fun).

Also, in addition to getting equipment from enemies, each one gives you a soul, which could be anything from an attack to a stat boost, and more.

This makes EVERY enemy worth fighting, and removes a lot of tedium from fighting them. Because, they might have an AWESOME soul, so even fighting zombies and fleamen feels worth it.

It also makes exploring even more fun, because you want to find all the enemies you can, to get their souls.

I really don't have many negative things to say about this game. I fully enjoyed it, from start to finish.

I guess the only thing I could say is that, much like SOTN, it gets really easy really quickly. If you grind for souls, you can get some really strong attacks pretty early on, making bosses a complete joke. Even the final boss, if you have
Red Minator
, is laughable.

Fully Completed Time: 5 Hours 30 Minutes (I don't remember it being so short... finished it in one sitting)

So, now I've moved on the the DS games. If this thread is still around, I might give another update, them.

Kokonoe

Banned
UGH! this voice acting in the SOTN port on PSP Dracula X Chronicles is awful. Richter sounds like someone from GI Joe, and Dracula...what did they do to you...? Sounds like a gargoyle with a southern accent or something.

I was hoping it was just the cutscenes with the voice acting change, but it's quite bothersome to hear this during the actual gameplay.

I noticed an issue when Dracula transforms in the beginning, the effect is squareish and off.
Yeesh, they even downgraded the sound effects on leveling up and on the menus.

Alucard's voice is really losing his deep and mysterious tone that made him seem intimidating, but cool.

I hate to be nitpicky, but I can't stand this. It's not as bad, but it reminds me of when I tried out the Saturn version of SOTN, and gosh is that version lousy.

Marz

Castlevania is one of my favorite series'. I've beaten Super, DoS, SotN, PoR, OoE, and Rebirth.

Definitely think OoE is my favorite. Love Shanoa and the difficulty made it so rewarding whenever I progressed past a tough part.

The music in Super is the best IMO though.

Frost_Ace

Castlevania is one of my favorite series'. I've beaten Super, DoS, SotN, PoR, OoE, and Rebirth.

Definitely think OoE is my favorite. Love Shanoa and the difficulty made it so rewarding whenever I progressed past a tough part.

The music in Super is the best IMO though.

The Waterfall from Super still gives me the chills. Masteful track.

Sgblues

UGH! this voice acting in the SOTN port on PSP Dracula X Chronicles is awful. Richter sounds like someone from GI Joe, and Dracula...what did they do to you...? Sounds like a gargoyle with a southern accent or something.

I was hoping it was just the cutscenes with the voice acting change, but it's quite bothersome to hear this during the actual gameplay.

I noticed an issue when Dracula transforms in the beginning, the effect is squareish and off.
Yeesh, they even downgraded the sound effects on leveling up and on the menus.

Alucard's voice is really losing his deep and mysterious tone that made him seem intimidating, but cool.

I hate to be nitpicky, but I can't stand this. It's not as bad, but it reminds me of when I tried out the Saturn version of SOTN, and gosh is that version lousy.

Well Dracula X Chronicles was a good chance for people who've never played Rondo or Sotn, an opportunity to play them for the first time, but I wish they didn't redo the voices for Sotn and yeah the voices in the Rondo remake could have been better as well, but dispite that I did like the remixed tracks in the game they had like bloodlines, vampire killer, bloody tears, cross a fear, slash, dreams of triumph(remixed beginning), tues deus meus(boss theme), moon fight and red dawn(original track) oh and that they
changed up Dracula, giving him new moves and new third form

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
whyyyyy did i wait so long to play sotn.

50% through and it's amazing.

i still remember reading the EGM preview for it and wanting it soo bad. finally got around to playing it. kid-jon would be so happy.

Huh...granted, it's been a loooooooong time since I last played through CotM (purchased it a week before the GBA released in NA) but for whatever reason I don't remember having a lot of difficulty finishing it. What I do remember is a lot of grinding, so perhaps that served as an offset.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
To the people playing HoD on PS3...Headset required and I sit this one out? I only have a headset on 360...also have HoD on 360 in any case. Love that game.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Huh...granted, it's been a loooooooong time since I last played through CotM (purchased it a week before the GBA released in NA) but for whatever reason I don't remember having a lot of difficulty finishing it. What I do remember is a lot of grinding, so perhaps that served as an offset.

Perhaps my memory is failing me and HoD's dracula wasn't the hard one (DoS maybe?), but CotM and PoR definitely were. I reaplyed CotM earlier this year and got to the final stage but didn't make it to Dracula because of those fucking black knights that shoot a laser ball out of their swords. I will probably get around to it again if I can track a new GBA copy.

Also, just came to post that this guy on youtube has reworked almost all of the handheld Castleroids OSTs and they sound amazing, remake quality IMO. A sample from CotM, HoD, and AoS.

so_good.gif

Playing through Chronicles for the first time, PSone. Game is tough, but there's no stupid shit like Dracula's Curse's falling blocks level so I've managed to get to the last stage.

Overall I've enjoyed it, I like how they took the original but added in some stages from some of the other titles.

Ahasverus

Playing through Chronicles for the first time, PSone. Game is tough, but there's no stupid shit like Dracula's Curse's falling blocks level so I've managed to get to the last stage.

Overall I've enjoyed it, I like how they took the original but added in some stages from some of the other titles.

I love chronicles, the definitive Castlevania 1 for me.

GhaleonQ

I'm loving this thread's development, and I'll finish figuring out my favorite tracks tomorrow!

Question: Castlevania Judgment depended on the premise that people care about the mythology or, at least, the characters. I know I do, but I'm a mythos nerd. Do you all have a favorite Belmont/playable character?

Question: Castlevania Judgment depended on the premise that people care about the mythology or, at least, the characters. I know I do, but I'm a mythos nerd. Do you all have a favorite Belmont/playable character?

Gabriel, honestly, because he's nuanced and has an interesting story. Sure the presentation helps, but I can't say I've ever really cared about the story/characters in a Castlevania game.

It's not amazing in Lords of Shadow, but it is the first time I've like... paid attention I guess.

I'm loving this thread's development, and I'll finish figuring out my favorite tracks tomorrow!

I don't think I really have a preference. The inclination is to say Simon because he's the OG, Super Castlevania IV is so good and his theme is untouchable but I also lean towards Soma partly because his design is really appealing to me (love the coat) and because I found his version of the
sry I'm Dracula lol
story much better than Gabriel Belmont's.

Alucard, definitely. Was fun to use in Dracula's Curse, was awesome in SoTN, and pretty cool in both Sorrow games.

Though I don't care for the game itself, I do like the Lord of Shadows incarnation of him as well.

I guess Soma is probably my favourite, I like how more than any other character you are able to set him up tailored more towards your own playstyle with the soul system as well as the greater variety of weapons, this makes him my favourite to play as. While his character is pretty basic (then again most of them are, especially the main characters) there's the whole
next incarnation of Dracula thing which adds a twist to the standard proceedings.
Plus he has the "Soma Strut" which is to say his running animation has always entertained me.
I'm also agreeing with Box of Bunnies about that coat, even the switch to an anime style had him retain a pretty spiffy coat, though he probably could've used the fur coat more in that snowy location from DoS.

Alucard for runner up.

Creaking

All my recommending and reading of Circle of the Moon really makes me want to play through it again, but the only copy I had now declines to save properly. Perhaps it's time to scour ebay again.

Still... what I wouldn't give for console collections of the handheld titles...

kunonabi

Favorite Belmont is Reinhardt Schneider from 64. I liked playing as Alucard and Sypha quite a bit in CVIII as well. I'm a big fan of Dracula himself so I really enjoyed playing him in Judgment since his zoning offense was really fun and well designed and I liked his just-frame fireball stuff. He was a risky character to play since he didn't get knocked down and he sucked at playing catch-up but I like that kind of dynamic.

Creaking

I'd say Soma, but Dawn of Sorrow's shallow, anime-esque characterization kind of killed it for me. Aria's was not incredible, but I firmly believe that it was stronger than what we got in Dawn, which was basically a bland hero in a nice suit. And they couldn't even keep the fur.

So I'm going to go with deep-voiced Alucard.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Shanoa all the way. You can go full melee, full mage, full whatever with her. Also her double jump animation is a thing of beauty, someone should gif that.

boosh5

Banned
Unfortunately HoD on PS3 can be a barren landscape. We need more players!
Add me on PSN: TheLamonster

I've been thinking about picking this up lately. I wasn't totally sold on the demo, but I love SotN, so I may end up getting it. Would love for a price drop or a sale. $15 for a two year old downloadable seems to be a bit much.

SkyOdin

My favorite Belmont is probably Simon, by virtue of the fact of him being the most classic. Gabriel Belmont had some good qualities, but the writing was so problematic in Lords of Shadow that I can't rate him too high.

My favorite non-Belmont is probably a tie between Carrie Fernandez and Cornell. Legacy of Darkness had a great cast of characters that played pretty differently from each other. Carrie had that great homing attack, while Cornell was simply a tough werewolf.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
It's rare to see a headset user on PS3. It's not required by any means :)

Well this makes things more interesting for sure haha. I'd definitely love to play with some Gaffers. Harmony of Despair is digital crack. At this point I just play it for fun on 360 but I still need some drops on PS3. I ain't so Soma either (I do have a full decked out Soma on 360). So far I am heavily invested in the chicks. Love Yoko so much. Holy Lighteningue.

Is Harmony of Despair fun solo?

I'd say you could get a few hours of pure fun out of it anyway. It's still solid 2D CV action with an outstanding soundtrack. But it's obviously built for co-op. Lots of purple chests (somewhat rare/good items) are accessed via team work pretty much. Plus a lot of the appeal is trying to score new rare items to show off, haha.

You guys are making me want to get my n64 out and start up legacy of darkness. Also still have copies of curse of darkness and lament of innocence, along with the original 3, Portrait of Ruin, Order of C and Lords of Shadow. Digital downloads of sotn, rhondo of blood, and chronicles... AHHHHHH Sooo much Castlevania goodness! I forgot I have all these till we start talking about it.

Top Bottom