• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania Community Thread | What is a man?!

There are so many Castlevania games that even as a fan, I've not played or let alone finished them all. I still cannot finish Castlevania III to this day. That shitty, shitty block level.

Sgblues

Hmm favorite Belmont is probably Simon, and his name what most people think when they hear Belmont and Castlevania. Ritcher, Julius and Trevor were my other close choices.

Favorite non Belmont male is Alucard with Soma coming second and favorite female is Shanoa closely followed by Maria(kid Maria)

kogasu

Question: Castlevania Judgment depended on the premise that people care about the mythology or, at least, the characters. I know I do, but I'm a mythos nerd. Do you all have a favorite Belmont/playable character?

Yeah, I love reading about the mythos of Castlevania as well. Even if it's not really that important to the game.

As for my favorite character, I always say Alucard because to me, he's just cool heh. I mean the Belmonts are awesome too but Alucard wins for me. Also, gotta mention Eric Lecarde just because I've gotten so used to playing as him in Bloodlines.

Maedhros

Shanoa. She IS OLEV! <3

The battle system on that game is... perfect. The difficult feels so fucking right too. The bosses are the among the best from the series, they were fantastic.

I have nothing but praise for OoE (well, maybe the story being kind of weak, because it really was self-centered and didn't answer many things).

Second is Alucard. Then Soma. Then Leon Belmont... then everyone else that's not from CV I, II, IV, Adventure, etc. When I was younger I thought they were the same character. In fact, I was kinda of bored of playing with the same dude wearing a whip. Good thing they introduced new characters in Bloodlines and Rondo and III.

There are so many Castlevania games that even as a fan, I've not played or let alone finished them all. I still cannot finish Castlevania III to this day. That shitty, shitty block level.
If you mean the level with the falling blocks then you can always take the alternative route across the map that skips past that stage and then return here to report your grief at stage 9 instead.
the falling block bit is really lame though, probably the worst section of CV3 because it's just so damn long.

RSLYG

iNUEAcJLkiUFk.gif

Raitaro

Apologies if this was brought up before, but I really feel that Simon Belmont (or one of his family members) deserves to be in Smash Bros next to Sonic and Mega Man as one of the iconic patrons of the 8 and 16-bit era (even more so than Snake imo).

I mean, why not at this point? He pretty much is the only one missing assuming that Pacman does get in.

Can I also say that I'm quite bummed out that we (A) never got that motion controlled whip action game in the Castlevania universe for the Wii (U) or PS Move, and (B) that the one and only fighting game - Castlevania Judgment - had to be a stillborn failure (due to it being on the Wii perhaps). There went our once in a lifetime opportunity for a Konami developed Castlevania fighting game (which apart from a few exceptions like Yie Ar Kung-Fu, TMNT Tournament Fighters, Rakugakids, Dragoon Might and Monster Maulers is not a genre that Konami has ever been known for really - crap, now I've reminded myself of how cool a 2D sprite-based Castlevania fighting game could have been if they had ever developed one for arcades...:-( ).

Maedhros

There is a Castlevania Arcade game that uses a sensor controller. Go look for videos on youtube and you'll see.

It looks fun, I would play if they had the machine here (which is impossible, considering where I live).

zainetor

Banned
There is a Castlevania Arcade game that uses a sensor controller. Go look for videos on youtube and you'll see.

It looks fun, I would play if they had the machine here (which is impossible, considering where I live).

yeah, shame the only castlevania arcade I got to play was haunted castle.

Perhaps my memory is failing me and HoD's dracula wasn't the hard one (DoS maybe?), but CotM and PoR definitely were. I reaplyed CotM earlier this year and got to the final stage but didn't make it to Dracula because of those fucking black knights that shoot a laser ball out of their swords. I will probably get around to it again if I can track a new GBA copy.

Maybe I'll go do another playthrough just to refresh my memory. I'm sure I was probably overleveled or something.

Sgblues

If you mean the level with the falling blocks then you can always take the alternative route across the map that skips past that stage and then return here to report your grief at stage 9 instead.
the falling block bit is really lame though, probably the worst section of CV3 because it's just so damn long.

Well its super easy with Alucard, can just fly all the way to the top, or Grant and just Spiderman your way up as well but with Sypha or Trevor alone it can be rough but more than doable.

lol yeah, since my PC is nowhere near capable to play Lords of Shadow (grr) I'm going to try and finally finish some of the games that I've yet to beat.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Just ordered OOE to feed my undying Harmony of Despair addiction.

Gotta experience dat Shanoa.
Nooo you should've bought it from me. I have a 2nd cart for sale on the BST thread in community. :(

Enjoy it nevertheless, it's an amazing game!

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Well since there was a lot of Circle of the Moon talk lately, here's ClassicGameRoom's review of it that just came out today(30th).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oh7CMEOysU

Just for an idea for anyone who, has wanted to try it out.

Not bad, though when he says that it's easy, it sounds as though he means in comparison to the Classicvania games. Circle is definitely one of the harder of the Metroidvania titles.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Wait, Harmony of Despair has local co-op on the PSN version?! This changes everything! Why didn't I know this? :(

Creaking

I'd like to get the game, but it's something like $38 for the game and all the non-music related DLC. I don't know if I want to throw down that much for it.

Plus, they don't have Juste Juiced Belmont or Nathan Graves (Circle is a good Castlevania game IGA!), which are two missed opportunities. I'd blame it on the GBA sprites, but they've got classic Simon and... ....Getsu Fuma. Oh, and isn't Johnathan constrained to using only his whip? That's what I've gathered from the Castlevania Wiki.

Best Dracula Boss Fight - Rondo. Epic lead up to his fight with the boss gauntlet than off to fight him in base form...only for him to transform into that crazy beast.

Worst Dracula Boss Fight - Super Castlevania 4 - Good build up, but dies after an easy battle in his base form.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
You guys are terrible. I went from being happy with my life to chasing down a copy of Castlevania Double Pack, a GameCube, and a Game Boy Player. My wallet hurts. :(

Best Dracula Boss Fight - Rondo. Epic lead up to his fight with the boss gauntlet than off to fight him in base form...only for him to transform into that crazy beast.

Worst Dracula Boss Fight - Super Castlevania 4 - Good build up, but dies after an easy battle in his base form.

I guess but I liked the music and atmosphere of SC4's last boss a lot more.

Just dropping in to say that I am a massive Castlevania fan (first game was Simon's Quest back in autumn of 1988 - still love it to this day) and that I love the "Metroidvanias" (even Harmony of Dissonance, despite the grating music). So many people seem to dislike them on GAF, but they are like crack to me: rarely do I finish games that I start, let alone complete them 100%, but I compulsively do it for those games and those games alone. (Oh, and I have absolutely no interest in LoS 1-2 nor MoF. I prefer playing Legacy of Darkness, Lament of Innocence and Castlevania Legends, which I all own, than the Mercury Steam titles. Hopefully the next iteration is Japan-developed.)

P.S. Aside from longer loading and bad transparencies, what are the drawbacks of the Saturn SotN? Since I haven't played the original game since 1998, I might as well try a different version with a bit of bonus content. Thoughts?

Sgblues

P.S. Aside from longer loading and bad transparencies, what are the drawbacks of the Saturn SotN? Since I haven't played the original game since 1998, I might as well try a different version with a bit of bonus content. Thoughts?

Its been a good long while since I played the Saturn version but I think the main issues were the longer loading times and some slight graphical problems but other than that its great since because of the extra areas, enemies and stuff.

Trying to replay Aria of Sorrow. My GBA is long gone. The d-pad sucks on the GCN controller so GBA Player is out.

That leaves my DS Phat, except GBA games ignore the X and Y buttons in favor of A and B, which is extremely uncomfortable and borderline unplayable. Any way to change the configuration?

edit: I sucked it up and set up my GBA Player. The GCN d-pad ain't so bad :)

GhaleonQ

I took the time to listen to everything, so I hope no one minds a bit of a walk to the end of this post. I just THOROUGHLY enjoy everything about this series.

Thanks for the cool responses on your favorite playable characters. I have to say that I love how the series does inauthentic religious history, aesthetics, and lore that, nevertheless, is constructed in a way that seems like it could be authentic. I&#8217;m religious and, more relevantly, credentialed in religious history, so my favorite characters tend to be those that borrow from religion. It adds a sense of grit and authenticity that draws the series back from the more fantastical elements. &#8220;Yes, there will be animez, illogical castle design, and triple crosses by characters you&#8217;ll meet only twice, but, hey, they are holy warriors who work for sects that are trying to purge the bad guys. Get on with it.&#8221; It&#8217;s fun. So, Shanoa, Trevor/Ralph, and Sypha are my favorites.

I had forgotten the travesty they did with Shanoa design on Judgement, Death Note artist shouldn't be allowed to design characters again-
I will totally defend her design as the best of the Japanese gothic (as opposed to actual gothic) revisions. It&#8217;s not Shanoa at her best, but it&#8217;s still fundamentally of Shanoa. That&#8217;s more than I can say of a lot of the redesigns. Ugh, the aesthetics of that game were so disappointing.

Anyway, I listened to all of the canon Castlevania/Devil&#8217;s Castle Dracula soundtracks. You may not know this, everyone, but they&#8217;re really good. I&#8217;m actually surprised that ALL of them are at least good, which is not my memory of the Game Boy and Nintendo 64 music. My top 3 soundtracks were 3. Bloodlines, 2. Order Of Ecclesia/The Stolen Glyphs, 1. Dracula&#8217;s Curse/The Vampire Legend. In release order, here are my favorite 2 tracks from each, remixes excluded.

Vampire Killer, Wicked Child
Bloody Tears, The Silence Of The Daylight
Revenge, Evil Devil
Clockwork, Beginning
New Messiah, Ripe Seeds
Requiem, Dance Of Illusions
The Sinking Old Sanctuary, Reincarnated Soul
Woodcarving Partita, The Lost Painting
Underground Tunnel, Rosa
The Outer Wall, Tower Of Ruins
Proof Of Blood, Awake
Sky Chapel, Offense And Defense
Underground Reservoir, Devil&#8217;s Castle Hidden Study
Underground Waterfall Maze, Dracula Appears
Cursed Clock Tower, Subterranean Hell
Garibaldi Cathedral, A Toccata In Blood-Soaked Darkness
Hail From The Past, Bad Situation
Dusk&#8217;s Stigmata, Grimness Of The Scorched Earth

And now I&#8217;ll post my 10 favorite songs, if I may.
10. Hail From The Past http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pk9aUMY6NOo
I feel like a lot of central Asian music in video games relies on repetition without trance or novice exploration of new, unfamiliar scales. Hail From The Past has a rollicking percussion that would save the song all by itself. However, I like how it constructs the boundaries in which it works, drives straight down the middle with the hook, and then has a nice tense bridge to the loop. It&#8217;s a piece I&#8217;d want to stop and listen to, whereas a majority of the series&#8217; fans&#8217; favorites are uppers for whipping.
09. Woodcarving Partita http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jL0UoyFS7Ww
I don&#8217;t think the game&#8217;s soundtrack is overrated, but I think that speaks more of its consistency than its excellence. However, I can&#8217;t deny the lovely baroque structure that rides the coattails of famous composers, but rides them well. Again, the transition to the loop is seamless, which is difficult for a partita that seems to walk straight toward its logical conclusion.
08. Vampire Killer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AZ5XZHIDh0
Since you know the song already, imagine what it was like to hear it contemporaneously. You could easily link the composers&#8217; work to their other Konami stuff based on the buoyancy of the sound, but it has that beautiful cobweb threaded on top of it. I think every rearrangement is inferior because it loses that tie to its arcade roots. It&#8217;s not a gothic cathedral; it&#8217;s a haunted house.
07. Underground Waterfall Maze http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Izj8elq1o1Q
I don&#8217;t complain about &#8220;cinematic&#8221; soundtracks because I don&#8217;t like sophistication. I dislike boredom. The sub-melody that trails the waterfall-like primary one is the real trick here, and when that digitized percussion comes in, the whole song&#8217;s lifted. The organ explosion would be a gimmick were the wind down not so strong.
06. Proof Of Blood http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suDkkvN-m-Y
I had no idea that the game had so few original songs. It sure makes them count, though! I adore that the hardware makes the organ wheeze sound like the most evil accordion jaunt ever composed. The series usually goes overboard with boss battle bombast, but this might as well be a background piece for leisure times. Add some dotted notes for a little more swing, and you have music for a canal trip. Keep the thwomping underscore of notes this has, and you have my favorite boss track in the series.
05. Dusk&#8217;s Stigmata http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyXRV7wkeyo
This might as well be the theme song for any animated adaptation of the series. Nevertheless, it&#8217;s irresistible! I can&#8217;t imagine turning off the game with this playing. It&#8217;s the official theme song of &#8220;1 more room, I swear.&#8221; People always forget the end of it, though, and it&#8217;s the fireworks after the launch. The game is my 6th favorite ever, and this is 1 of the reasons why.
04. The Sinking Old Sanctuary http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKJsfwHObvw
This song was so atypical of the series to that point. It belongs in a Konami shoot-&#8216;em-up or role-playing game, not an action game, surely? The harmonies work in concert here, but I think it has 1 of the best melodies in the series. After this, Konami started contrasting peaceful aesthetics with blood-boiling action more often, but it was done best here.
03. Clockwork http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHG3e0bQe3I
Make sure that you listen to the VRC6 version. People compare baroque music to the precision of clocks all of the time, so it&#8217;s hard for me to be original here. I think people overlook the rhythmic nature of the period, though, and you can hear why this works in a fast-paced video game. When today&#8217;s composer get &#8220;EPIC,&#8221; they should listen to this to figure out how to escalate without getting caught up in bombast.
02. Requiem http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGjViC9wmOw
Like I wrote, I love religion and the series&#8217; use of it. The kyrie here is so straightforward, but I can&#8217;t imagine any better preparation for a horror game than its haunting echo and, &#8220;Lord, have mercy.&#8221; Again, at the time, this was as big a risk as any other game&#8217;s music. I&#8217;m certain that it&#8217;s timeless, too, because I 1st heard it on the Game Boy Advance. I have been stunned twice by video game aesthetics and only twice. Little/King Story&#8217;s Aleksandr Petrov-cribbing oil paint animation worked exactly like it should have. The other was turning on my Game Boy Advance near launch and hearing this track through my headphones. I got chills, and I still do.
01. Bloody Tears http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2oZtvjg5oA
I&#8217;m not too cool to pick a classic as 1 of my favorite ever video game songs. (I even consider the Famicom, not the FDS version, the "real" one.) I like hearing unique things, but it&#8217;s not like this series is a succession of austere experimental sessions. It&#8217;s a crowd-pleasing, if intelligent, mix of history, spectacle, and a slowly perfected formula. It&#8217;s a series that&#8217;s earned its community, and I&#8217;m happy to pick a song in communion with everyone else. Also, it just fricking rocks. It&#8217;s Konami bounce with Konami progressive rock, and it&#8217;s marvelous.

Phew. Like I said, this series is about community, so thanks for making a superb community topic! It's not like people don't know Bloody Tears is good, but I thought I'd post something substantive in NeoGAF after not having done so in awhile.

Kamina

Golden Boy
I am still annoyed about the lack of Dracula X Chronicles in the European PSN Store.

When asking Konami about it you get this response:

"Dear Kamina!

It is great to hear that you are interested in Konami products. We really appreciate your comments and we will forward them to the appropriate department - they are very important to us!

All decisions are made with careful research and with regards to customer feedback and so the more we have, the better. We want to make great games that you want to play, after all!"

Balls -_-

*Music post*
I was anticipating this, it doesn't disappoint.
The point about Vampire Killer being more Haunted House than anything else is something I find myself agreeing with, as far as other versions of it go though I really quite like the Dawn of Sorrow version which seems to retain some more of the classic feel with a more modern twist.
I'd also be amiss if I didn't point out that the description of the Circle of the Moon Organ sound is quite hilarious.

Well i'll commence being a shameless ripoff later tonight with my list, I don't quite have the same way of words, in fact my music talk basically boils down to the bare understanding of "I like how this sounds" but it's the thought that counts or something like that.

I was anticipating this, it doesn't disappoint.
The point about Vampire Killer being more Haunted House than anything else is something I find myself agreeing with, as far as other versions of it go though I really quite like the Dawn of Sorrow version which seems to retain some more of the classic feel with a more modern twist.
I'd also be amiss if I didn't point out that the description of the Circle of the Moon Organ sound is quite hilarious.

Well i'll commence being a shameless ripoff later tonight with my list, I don't quite have the same way of words, in fact my music talk basically boils down to the bare understanding of "I like how this sounds" but it's the thought that counts or something like that.

Hah same lol

Sgblues

Trying to replay Aria of Sorrow. My GBA is long gone. The d-pad sucks on the GCN controller so GBA Player is out.

That leaves my DS Phat, except GBA games ignore the X and Y buttons in favor of A and B, which is extremely uncomfortable and borderline unplayable. Any way to change the configuration?

edit: I sucked it up and set up my GBA Player. The GCN d-pad ain't so bad :)

Yeah I use my wavebird to play games with on the gba player and never thought it was bad using it, though there's a controller like a snes one that I've wanted to get but keep forgetting about.

Oh and if we're gonna be posting music lists.....then they are gonna be like ridiculously long as almost every remix and original song is in someone's favorites haha.

Choosing an outright top ten is too much for me and by too much I mean I’d have Symphony of the Night having nearly half the list to itself, so in the interest of variety I’ve imposed a rule on myself to stick with one theme per game, maybe it’s better to view this list as ten themes which I think are pretty damn sweet. It's worth pointing out that the CV games I haven't played have missed the boat on this occasion, like the PS2 titles and Circle of the Moon.

Anyway, coming in a wishy washy order...

10. Bloody Tears (CV 2)
The runner up of iconic CV themes, maybe I’ve heard a tad too many remixes of it but I’m sure some would say that you can’t have too many remixes of Bloody Tears. I’m rather fond of the Super Castlevania 4 mix myself, but in whatever form you hear it in it’s hard not to love that build up at the beginning.

9. Cross A Fear (Rondo of Blood)
Perhaps an odd choice but there’s something that never gets old about how this theme goes from being pretty standard before suddenly exploding into the greatest of cheese brass synths, it's like a track that could only exist at the time of its creation, truly this was the benefit of Rondo's CD powers.

8. Riddle (CV 3)
This tracks memorable standing in my mind is likely the side effect of having to replay the damn stage over and over again I’m sure, I can’t help but recall all the terrors of stage 9 when I hear this theme.
Clearly someone out there knows that the theme goes quite well beating the player into submission so it got to be the theme for Dracula’s final form in Rebirth as well as Ecclesia’s toughest set of platforming in the training hall. Of course i've opted for the superior Famicom version of the theme here over the standard NES version.

7. Vampire Killer (CV1)
The most iconic of CV themes and one hell of an earworm, there’s not really much to say about it, it’s basically the main theme for the series and with good cause. Even Lords of Shadow managed to sneak this one in somewhere.

6. Forest of Monsters (SCV4)
Sometimes the best tracks are staring you right in the face and it takes a while to notice, I had to be on like my fourth run of SC4 before I noticed that Forest of Monsters was in fact damn good. Coming after the catchy Simon’s Theme might have contributed to my glossing over of it in the past but it’s earned its position here, the moody melody, percussion and bass all merge together quite wonderfully.

5. Heart of Fire (Aria of Sorrow/Harmony of Despair)
A remix of a remix of a remix? Sort of, Aria of Sorrow had its own great take on Heart of Fire blending new with the old but I just don’t get along that well with the Aria’s Sound. Step in Harmony of Despair to brush it up and even decrease the length of the slower bridge section of the theme on top of that. Part energetic and catchy boss theme, part throwback, all awesome.

4. Crucifix Held Close (Portrait of Ruin/Haunted Castle)
With all the fantastical locations PoR had at its fingertips with the portrait world idea it always struck me a bit odd that one of the locations was simply a mansion in the woods. Funnily enough it was both the Forest of Doom and Dark Academy that ended up with my two favourite themes from this game and Crucifix Held Close just about beat The Hidden Curse to the top spot, it’s actually just an updated version of cross your heart from haunted castle but I’ll just let that slide.

3. Jaws of a Scorched Earth (Order of Ecclesia)
Taking a trip out to the countryside certainly opened up Ecclesia to having some interesting themes, the mountains are rather bleak and desolate locations (well aside from the host of monsters occupying them of course) and this theme conveys that sense of dreariness quite well. It’s not immediately catchy and it took me a while to warm to it but when I clicked with it there was no going back.

2. The Pinnacle (Dawn of Sorrow)
Despite the fact that the castle’s pinnacle isn’t actually the final area in DoS it’s presented as such and the theme has a sense of finality to it like you’ve reached the final hurdle, it’s almost sombre at points but it’s simultaneously pumping you up to climb higher and reach the goal, I find it to have a good sense of escalation.

1. Dracula's Castle (Symphony of the Night)
The moment when the windows in the background of the opening corridor burst open and the slow intro of this theme kicks in to join the howling wind is just one of those implementations of audio that gives me chills. SotN has a soundtrack I find phenomenal and it hits a variety of styles across the whole soundtrack but Dracula’s Castle is the one that feels truly like Castlevania first and foremost, kind of like a bridge between the old and new with a similar level of catchiness to the 8 bit entries.
For those curious about other SotN tracks that would’ve taken up space in this list, Crystal Teardrops would be a definite number 2 and Wood Carving Partita would certainly slot in somewhere.

Creaking

It's worth pointing out that the CV games I haven't played have missed the boat on this occasion, like the PS2 titles and Circle of the Moon.

Shame, I don't know about Lament of Innocence, but Circle and Curse of Darkness have some really stellar music.

Unfortunately getting a non counterfeit GBA game these days is like the rarest of rare item drops so I guess i'm hoping for Nintendo to finally get their GBA VC up and running at some point before I can play Circle of the Moon.
It would also be handy if the PS2 CV games got dropped onto the EU PSN store but oh well.

And now i'm also reminded that Bloodlines is still missing from the VC.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I usually replay Curse of Ecclesia in October to go with the Halloween tone. It's my yearly replay for the franchise now, but I kind of feel the need to replow through the beast already. It's an outstanding masterpiece. I desperately long for a 3DS sequel with a Yamane soundtrack, and the same emphasis on boss pattern learning, more varied platforming and the lovable Glyph system...but that's a pipe dream.

And now i'm also reminded that Bloodlines is still missing from the VC.

One of my favorites too. Some of the best music in the series comes from this one. Never really used Lecarde for some reason though. I once finished the game drunk. My ultimate gaming feat in a sense, lol

Kokonoe

Banned
Welp.

ttZJhkg.png

Looks like I can't update the OP with significant stuff.

-edit-

I had bigger parts for Bloodlines and Circle of Moon, but I had to delete them as it wouldn't fit. I officially can't add anything to the OP anymore. Although, Circle of Moon and Bloodlines are added now. I had to remove a chunk of the Lord of Shadows part to add those two.

Top Bottom