• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania Community Thread | What is a man?!

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Well it's been awhile since I've actually restarted DXC SotN so I don't exactly remember how all the voice acting parts went. Let's see, I know everyone sounds older in the original compared to Dracula X. I like them sounding older. Also, the original intro's lines and acting are just glorious heh. You may call it bad but I love the lines in the original heh. They're so damn quotable.

I'm pretty sure I like the original's voice stuff way more just because it's cheesy and bad (supposedly hehe) and sort of calls back to cheesy 90s voice acting for me.

Oh no, I love the original lines. I remember being disappointed with the Dracula X Chronicles redub. The characters sounded less distinct.

The original English lines largely aren't even bad.

probably already asked but... why did the OP decided to exclude Circle of the Moon? It really is a good metroidvania, far better than HoD...

CotM was not made by IGA, and is considered non-canon.

I don't see what everyone else in this thread seems to...

Like I posted earlier, bought all the GBA and DS ones and have been playing through them in order of release.

I can't stand CotM. Everything is so... idk, just doesn't feel right. The DSS system is cool, though,

HoD I feel is MUCH better as far as the game itself is concerned, (the music is... whaever) but obviously they both pale in comparison to AoS and DoS, which are complete masterpieces.

Creaking

Canon or not, it's undoubtedly a Castlevania game.

What bothers me is that Curse of Darkness is missing from both the string of games with images and descriptions, and the list at the end.

Arkanius

Technically, CoTM will always hold a special place in my heart.
It introduced me to Castlevania as a child.

From there, as I grew older, I discovered all the games from the NES to the PSX

120v

CotM was amazing as a launch title back in 2001. but i can see why its rendered pretty much non-essential now

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Argh. Lament of innocence is on Psn but not curse of darkness. Anyone know who we could tweet to ask for it?

SkyOdin

Like I posted earlier, bought all the GBA and DS ones and have been playing through them in order of release.

I can't stand CotM. Everything is so... idk, just doesn't feel right. The DSS system is cool, though,

HoD I feel is MUCH better as far as the game itself is concerned, (the music is... whaever) but obviously they both pale in comparison to AoS and DoS, which are complete masterpieces.
What IGA considers canon has absolutely no bearing on fan interest. Particularly when his rationale for what is canon seems arbitrary and self-serving.

In any case, While I had previously played Super Castlevania IV as a rental, Legacy of Darkness and Circle of the Moon are the first Castlevania games I actually owned and cleared. So, I have a certain nostalgia for them. I still think they are pretty fun games. Legacy of Darkness was ambitious, with four characters who played completely differently from each other, while Circle of the Moon had the cool DSS system.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Yeah all of cotm's sprites were original and not ported from other games or have been ported either.

Well, it wasn't the main Castlevania team that made it right? It was the Castlevania 64 team, iirc. CotM was kickass, the music was amazing. Then we got Harmony of Dissonance which sacrificed music for visuals. Which is funny because it looks pretty bad..

I've only played the NES/SNES Castlevanias and SotN. On a whim, I wanted to go through this series, because I knew that I would love it, but just never jumped in. Finally, I did. Playing through Ecclesia and I'm completely in love with it.

Kokonoe

Banned
All right, I just beat a few levels of Rondo of Blood. I went with PSP because I tried many other options without much success, plus the translation, despite wanting to play it on my big screen TV.

Anyhow~

I like the specials in this game, is this the game they originated from? They are like the ones in SOTN. Although, the cross special is unique, I haven't seen that in any other Castlevania. I like that you can stairs hop and land on the stairs after hopping, it makes traveling up and down the stairs much quicker. I'm kind of confused, though, there are these parts where the lamps are covered in these small bats that fly around you if you get near, but they don't appear to do anything besides that. I wonder what they do?

I also found a HUGE pot roast right before Minotaur. Like gosh, it was bigger than Richter! Speaking of Minotaur, to heck with that guy, he sucker punched me after he died and almost killed me. I went to look away since I beat him, then POW. Haha.

Although, yeah, I'm having fun. The game is hard as nails, but the save system keeps making me come back for more, I really am glad you can save in this. I think the whip should have a bigger hitbox as you have to be pretty precise with it, but other than that, not many complaints. I like the music as well.

Sgblues

Yeah Rondo of blood is where item crashing came from, yep almost all the bosses in rondo do a last ditch attack after being killed, what liked about the game is that it has multiple paths and bosses just like CVIII so it adds a lot of re-playability plus Maria is pretty fun to use in the game.

Argh. Lament of innocence is on Psn but not curse of darkness. Anyone know who we could tweet to ask for it?

Could be that they're seeing how it sells... oh well I bought that shit the day it went up even though I don't really like it. But it's Castlevania and I have to support my baby.

One small thing that always bugged me about Rondo, if I recall the whip feels like it's lacking impact upon hitting enemies compared to previous games, that sort of halting impact seen in the NES titles and SC4 is something I prefer.

Maybe i'm still bitter because the alternative stage 5 is a BASTARD, I never beat it, it almost drove me to madness trying to. It's still good but it's certainly the most action/enemy heavy entries of the Classicvanias I've played, a bit too heavy for my liking I guess.

Soodanim

I was just thinking about the CV games I've played, and I realised that I never finished DXC. It's essentially been used as a long winded way of loading SotN so I can see the additions, including the familiars that make the game freeze on the nightmare boss. I re-ripped the entire UMD because of that, thinking it was a bad rip.

I think I may have ruined 2D Metroidvanias for myself slightly by playing the recommended ones: SotN, CotM, AoS, DoS, OoE. I kind of want to play HoD, but I've seen a video detailing exactly why the map is bad. That said, I have a higher tolerance for "bad" that the internet average, so maybe I will be okay. And the other one I missed is PoR, which I have heard bugger all about. Time to go read the OP.
It just dawned on me that the best example of a 3D Metroidvania is the Batman Arkham games.
AA more than AC, but that's a good shout.

Creaking

I was just thinking about the CV games I've played, and I realised that I never finished DXC. It's essentially been used as a long winded way of loading SotN so I can see the additions, including the familiars that make the game freeze on the nightmare boss. I re-ripped the entire UMD because of that, thinking it was a bad rip.

I think I may have ruined 2D Metroidvanias for myself slightly by playing the recommended ones: SotN, CotM, AoS, DoS, OoE. I kind of want to play HoD, but I've seen a video detailing exactly why the map is bad. That said, I have a higher tolerance for "bad" that the internet average, so maybe I will be okay. And the other one I missed is PoR, which I have heard bugger all about. Time to go read the OP.

Portrait of Ruin isn't bad. It's probably not standout great, but it's more challenging than Symphony or the Sorrow games, and there's an okay amount of content. Expect characters and story to be closer to Dawn of Sorrow levels than anything else though.

I haven't played Harmony of Dissonance in years, so I can't say much on it. It's probably good if you just want a Metroidvania romp.

Arkanius

Harmony of Dissonance was ok.
The only thing I can remember is the music being lackluster and the staring Belmont looking like Alucard.

CHARLOTTE
JONATHAN
CHARLOTTE
JONATHAN
CHARLOTTE
JONATHAN
CHARLOTTE
JONATHAN
Yulius
Arikado
CHARLOTTE
JONATHAN
CHARLOTTE
JONATHAN
CHARLOTTE
JONATHAN
CHARLOTTE
JONATHAN

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I dunno but I liked Portrait of Ruin, although Charlotte was pretty useless.

Sgblues

I like POR as well and wished Charlotte had more to her, you can muscle your way through the game as Johnathan without even changing to her(though you can do the same as her without switching) but when POR was first shown I thought with the switching system that there would be some hardcore enemies that straight up resist melee or magic, along with different elements, and while there are a few that do have some resistances or switch
like Death
, it wasn't really implemented well and you can just melee your way through everything, can even do the blank book challenge with Charlotte for extra fun.

It does factor in more in Sister's mode as Loretta is pretty op but thankfully many enemies can resist ice so Stella balances her out.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Harmony of Dissonance was ok.
The only thing I can remember is the music being lackluster and the staring Belmont looking like Alucard.

The music that played in the clock tower was the most grating shit ever:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtpI4Lvk9_M

Maybe the worst song in the entirety of Castlevania.

The game itself was okay... but the castle was poorly designed and was trying way too hard to give you the "ZOMG inverted castle" moment again. It's definitely the worst Metroidvania style CV.

Arkanius

The game itself was okay... but the castle was poorly designed and was trying way too hard to give you the "ZOMG inverted castle" moment again. It's definitely the worst Metroidvania style CV.

My hears are bleeding. Thanks
I didnt even remember the inverted castle.

What I remember though was the final boss. Very very lackluster

kunonabi

Portrait of Ruin isn't bad. It's probably not standout great, but it's more challenging than Symphony or the Sorrow games, and there's an okay amount of content. Expect characters and story to be closer to Dawn of Sorrow levels than anything else though.

I haven't played Harmony of Dissonance in years, so I can't say much on it. It's probably good if you just want a Metroidvania romp.

If it isn't wasn't for the shitty anime look, meh story, and poorly implemented partner system it would have been solid. It at least tried to make platforming somewhat meaningful again. It's futile effort but appreciated nonetheless.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I kinda miss collecting food, weapons, and other shit in Castlevania.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member

HoD suffered from awful sound compression but not from bad composition. Soshiro Hokkai ain't no Yamane, but if you hear re-arranged versions of his tracks they really shine.

Take this for example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5tSgqPLbpU

Now listen to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouwGpIW9Twk

See what I mean?

sphinx

the piano man
I kinda miss the gameplay of Castlevania II: Simon's Quest.

I mean, they do this half-assed game with HUGE potential and never go back to perfect it, that's mean from them.

I wished they'd remake it properly. Done by the right people, I am sure it would be a great game.

Auskeek

I loved Crazy Cross' take on "your words are as empty as your soul".

"Your words are as empty as your water bottle"

zweifuss

I love this series so much. Just spent some time listening to the soundtrack of Belmont's Revenge: SO GOOD.GIF.

Belmont's Revenge was actually my introduction to the series way back in the early 90s. I fell in love with the whole series. Everything just meshed so well: gameplay, atmosphere, music, story, you name it. I used to go to the castlevania dungeon website almost every day to read up on the series and gush about the series with other enthusiasts.

My interest has waned over the last few years though ever since IGA has been pushed to the sidelines. Even though this new Lords of Shadow series looks amazing, I can't even get past the first few levels. It is very obvious that they shoe-horned Castlevania into what was probably intended as a new IP. So sad. I played the xbox 360 version and it had many framedips as well, so that may have contributed to my marred experience.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Could be that they're seeing how it sells... oh well I bought that shit the day it went up even though I don't really like it. But it's Castlevania and I have to support my baby.

I tweeted Dave Cox and he didn't respond.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
HoD suffered from awful sound compression but not from bad composition. Soshiro Hokkai ain't no Yamane, but if you hear re-arranged versions of his tracks they really shine.

Take this for example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5tSgqPLbpU

Now listen to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouwGpIW9Twk

See what I mean?

Oh, completely.

Which is why I'm glad both the Vita and the 3DS have decent sound hardware for a change (well, the PSP was fine, but anyway)... because if Konami actually DOES greenlight a new, real Castlevania game, the music could finally shine like this.

I look nothing like my my Mii picture. It was actually a poor attempt at Juste Belmont from Castlevania: Harmony Of Dissonance. What can I say? I'm a fan of the artwork for the Castlevania Series.

Dawn Of Sorrow is one of my Handheld Games of the 7th Generation. It was also the first game to sell me on the idea of a Castlevania game where the main game did not feature a whip.

Also, I have said this in the past - I've always thought it very much a shame that we never saw a Castlevania game on the Wii with whip, scale and hook pointer controls. That would've been pretty cool.

Heart Of Fire is probably my favourite track, including its different arrangements.

Bloody Tears played on piano is a beautiful masterpiece, and my favourite arrangement of that track.

Top Bottom