• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania Community Thread | What is a man?!

injurai

Banned
Isn't that the snes version?

Rondo is PCEngine/TurboGrafx game. Though the western port was bastardized and redone to be a sequel to IV I think?

Unless the VC is a proper localization of the original, I think the only way to play it might be by unlocking it on Dracula X Chronicles on the PSP.

injurai

Banned
It does, I have it.

Though it's not localized, it doesn't really matter.

Sooo good.

So it's the Japanese PC Engine version? That's interesting.

Man it's a shame localization and porting was such a hack-job back in the day. It shows in the Castlevania series worse than most others.

I do wish Dracula X Chronicles let you turn off the borders for Rondo and Symphony, I'm not that big of a fan of borders when there's a slight chance of screen effects

yes I'm really paranoid of my Vita over something so small like DXC's borders lol, I'm odd like that

I actually just got Portrait of Ruin and I'm enjoying it quite a bit. I heard this game wasn't the best out of the DS game though. Why is that? I've already beat Dawn of Sorrow and Order of Eccalsia and though they were good games

It's not a bad game but there's something that feels missing from the various maps. If DoS offers one of those big old explorable castles to trek through and OoE has the more fragmented action focused areas of smaller size and does this angle well then PoR feels like the game caught in between these two styles with the main strength of neither. PoR doesn't really succeed in having that fun of a castle to explore with its smaller size and the portrait maps suffer similarly. I don't know, map design just feels a bit all over the place both in layout (not to spoil things but you've got like an area that takes a symmetry approach and the results aren't great) and occasionally aesthetics as well, *first portrait area spoilers*
wasn't there like flying pink jellyfish things and Henry VIII fellows in those victorian interiors early on? even by CV standards that combo felt bizarre

I also find the dual characters approach and how they handle both weapons and sub weapons is quite limiting compared to the customisation offered from Sorrow's Soul system and Ecclesia's glyphs. I mean in the end it's competent enough at what it does, a reliable slice of the Metroidvania formula with a few hooks of its own yet nothing to truly shout about, it's just kind of there and bookended by better games.
Since you enjoyed the other two I figure It'll be a fun enough ride regardless, some really good music in there at points but I guess that's a given.

I'm probably in the minority but OoE is my least favorite DS CV entry. Beautiful animations, a compelling take on story/protagonist (by CV standards), aside I found the game to be to short (or artifically padded by diffculty spikes, dont get me wrong I relish the challenge but
dat Blackmore was a nearly game smashing prick!
). The soundtrack is arguably my favorite of the recent iterations as it seems Yamane really endeavored to experiment with different tempos/styles. Ultimately however my biggest problem with the game is the fragmented pacing. I love how its essentially an homage to classic level by level based CV's but for a SOTNvania I believe pacing is paramount and a cohesive level layout is key/personally preferred. IDK but if I had to make my own DS rankings DoS and PoR precede OoE.

All in all I love the game but it remains my least favorite of the masterful DS trilogy.

Frost_Ace

I agree that the fragmentation of the levels hurts the game but gameplay-wise OOE is probably the best since Rondo.

The game's as good as DoS imho.

DoS=OoE>>>PoR.

Arkanius

I'm going to bite on Mirror of Fate HD on Xbox Live Arcade.
For some reason, the opinion on the game is increasing compared to the 3DS version. What changed for everyone to suddendly enjoy the game?

Marz

I'm going to bite on Mirror of Fate HD on Xbox Live Arcade.
For some reason, the opinion on the game is increasing compared to the 3DS version. What changed for everyone to suddendly enjoy the game?

Where are you seeing this change in opinion? I've been seeing that the framerate is still terrible and its the same game but with a shiny HD coat.

It's not a bad game but there's something that feels missing from the various maps. If DoS offers one of those big old explorable castles to trek through and OoE has the more fragmented action focused areas of smaller size and does this angle well then PoR feels like the game caught in between these two styles with the main strength of neither. PoR doesn't really succeed in having that fun of a castle to explore with its smaller size and the portrait maps suffer similarly. I don't know, map design just feels a bit all over the place both in layout (not to spoil things but you've got like an area that takes a symmetry approach and the results aren't great) and occasionally aesthetics as well, *first portrait area spoilers*
wasn't there like flying pink jellyfish things and Henry VIII fellows in those victorian interiors early on? even by CV standards that combo felt bizarre

I also find the dual characters approach and how they handle both weapons and sub weapons is quite limiting compared to the customisation offered from Sorrow's Soul system and Ecclesia's glyphs. I mean in the end it's competent enough at what it does, a reliable slice of the Metroidvania formula with a few hooks of its own yet nothing to truly shout about, it's just kind of there and bookended by better games.
Since you enjoyed the other two I figure It'll be a fun enough ride regardless, some really good music in there at points but I guess that's a given.

I'm at 3 portraits right now and I'm actually very impressed with the level design. The aesthetics definitely looks weird. I actually found the first portrait refreshing. I agree it doesn't feel right for Castlevania, but it's just different enough that after so many games, I appreciate the change.

I also love the usage of traps and hazards in the levels. Remember the Training Area on OOE? They were a real challenge and POR actually had some of that buried in the main game. The room layouts are also very interesting. I found OOE's level design the worst. Tons of skills for the characters and hidden powers to find too.

I agree that the fragmentation of the levels hurts the game but gameplay-wise OOE is probably the best since Rondo.

The game's as good as DoS imho.

DoS=OoE>>>PoR.

The gameplay was certainly top notch and taut but I felt it kind of lacking, limited to no pickups and only runes. Granted its kind of semantics as a weapon pick up is essentially the same as rune collecting but idk I always loved the loot fest of SOTN legacy games with arsenals of varying names and usually interesting backstories/connotations to mythical weapons (Excalibur etc.). The combat system wasn't bad by any means but it felt like a palette swap (i.e throwing axe becomes simply a larger throwing axe with a different rune) with only a handful generally varied/dramatically changing up gameplay.

Gonna try the PSN Mirror of Fate demo. Kinda curious what I think of it since I never kept my 3DS long enough to play it then. Downloading this thing now.

How much would you guys pay personally for a Complete in box Super CV 4? In negotiations with a guy and want to make sure I'm getting some degree of discount.

Does anyone know if the US is getting that collectors edition?
I remember getting the first one so I'm hoping we do get it.

We arent. At least not the Dracula's Tomb Edition as its exclusive to Europe/GAME.

Source: Dave Cox

cvdttweet_zps89000924.png

I'm importing it....

Retro

While we're on the subject, is there going to be a PC edition with LoS 1 & 2 + MoF? I think I can hold out to get the complete package on PC, that will at least ensure the frame rate isn't horrible and I can write off MoF as a freebie instead of something I pay for (since I don't care for it very much).

I'd say its not unlikely for a digital LOS saga bundle (eventually say part of a steam sale or something) but retail.... Highly unlikely
( like 90% not happening)

Retro

I'd say its not unlikely for a digital LOS saga bundle (eventually say part of a steam sale or something) but retail.... Highly unlikely
( like 90% not happening)

Yeah, I don't mind it being digital. I just want to play through LoS 1 without framerate issues and if I can snag everything all at once I'm fine waiting. I don't like the LoS games so much that I need them right away.

Thanks.

Yeah, I don't mind it being digital. I just want to play through LoS 1 without framerate issues and if I can snag everything all at once I'm fine waiting. I don't like the LoS games so much that I need them right away.

Thanks.
Same here. I held off on LoS1 Ultimate to see if they are going to bundle it with MoF.
As for the Collectors Edition. That sucks. Wonder if they will atleast make one like they did with the first game which wasn't too bad. All I really want is the steel case since I love steel case covers.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
WAIT A MINUTE!

The LoS collection didn't add any improvements from the PC version to the console versions at all? It's the same thing that came out like 3 years ago?

WAIT A MINUTE!

The LoS collection didn't add any improvements from the PC version to the console versions at all? It's the same thing that came out like 3 years ago?
What did you expect. Hell I think I heard that MoF is actually the same 3DS version, but HDed in terms of improvements.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
What did you expect. Hell I think I heard that MoF is actually the same 3DS version, but HDed in terms of improvements.

Thank god I held off grabbing this day 1. Will get on a steam sale instead.

ChamplooJones

Formerly Momotaro
Just finished the LoS2 Demo. Sweet baby jesus am I hyped!

If the devs play their cards right. LoS2 could rank with, maybe even exceed God of War 2 as the best western hack n' slash game.

Just finished the LoS2 Demo. Sweet baby jesus am I hyped!

If the devs play their cards right. LoS2 could rank with, maybe even exceed God of War 2 as the best western hack n' slash game.

Agreed wholeheartedly. I feel like its gonna be the swan song that will hopefully not go un-appreciated of this gen.

drhankmccoyphd

Neo Member
Crossposting from the LoS Ultimate thread, but I'm at the Titan Graveyard in Chapter 10, I found the gate and the two areas I'm supposed to fight coffin monsters to get the keys, but when I run around the areas nothing spawns. I've gotten the first section to spawn once but I died. Did I just hit a game breaking bug?

Natetan

So I'm playing sotn for the first time now. Just got the bat sonar thing and am in the abandoned mine

Man this game is fun. So much like super metro is. I'm playing with a guide, but I will want to come back again and just wonder around and enjoy the gorgeous environments and great music!

Natetan

Why lose the joy of discovery? It's not like the game is difficult...

Enh discovery is overrated, I never would have found the jeweled glove early for example without following a yt video. That was some cv2 stuff right there.

I still thought it was just as cool. And I get more joy out I speed running sequence breaking than discovery.

Who's your favorite Belmondo design wise?
Mine is Juste, just look at how badass this guy is...
0bzpCWY.jpg

Though I don't care for the LoS games, Trevor's redesign is amazing. Takes the best of the Kojima redesign and molds it into something fantastic.

castlevania_mirror_of_fate_conceptart_XblG9.jpg

As far as the regular canon goes though, gotta give it to Julius:

Julius_HD.png

I'm a big fan of Richter's SoTN design, too.

cv-sotn-richter2.jpg

Redesigned Trevor is my favourite, the spiffy green coat appeared in some CV games before MoF as well so as long as it's running of that look and not the barebones barbarian look then I'm on board with Trevor.
Speaking of MoF the only time I've really dug Simon's getup was with that games take, if nothing else MoF gave me some damn good redesigns.

Trevors redesign is pretty awesome. Simons is nice too since it's like a mix of Chronicles Simon and classic Simon. Julius and Shanoa are my other faves

Speaking of MoF the only time I've really dug Simon's getup was with that games take, if nothing else MoF gave me some damn good redesigns.

I'm honestly surprised someone finally made the red hair work. I thought that it was a really bizarre design decision in Chronicles, but they really made it work for his MoF redesign.

Alucard's MoF redesign is good too, but the SoTN-onwards design still reigns king for me.

Top Bottom