• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania Community Thread | What is a man?!

GGs spyhunterzero, sorry for lagging behind all the time, today was my first time playing the game. Is it just Shanoa that is so miserably slow compared to the rest? Might have to switch character. :(
No. All charactets are slow. You have to find the Winged and Sonic boots to move fast. It's alright though. I don't mind helping you out. Everybody starts off without knowing what's going on.

Tizoc

I suck ass at OG Castlevania, but it looks great on dat Vita OLED and the music is wicked.
Shame I can't moonwalk on the steps like in Super Castlevania IV though (why isn't this on the 3DS again?)

I need Dracula X chronicles to go on sale so I can play RoB and SotN...

Fermbiz

Gold Member
Awesome thread!!

As a kid, I could not pass the 4th stage in Castlevania for the Nes with those jumping imp things. Just a year or two ago I decided to give it a chance. I literally spent an entire day into the am hours playing Castlevania trying to beat it.

I played the game on emulation (I still own the cartridge with the box). I didn't save state at all. I played it as if i were playing it on the NES. This game drove me to madness as I nearly quit. I didn't know Dracula had two forms to fight. So when I first beat his first form, I was all excited and cheering. Then my dreams were crushed when I saw his final form.

I defeated Dracula with out using any exploits or anything (I didn't know you can go back in and out collecting hearts). I defeated Dracula with pure luck as you can see in this vid at the 55 mark http://youtu.be/NSpnWu7_-c8?t=55m9s

Such an amazing game!

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry, yesterday I suddenly found myself in a bar last night. It wasn't planned at all.

Does anyone know if there are any pre-order bonuses for the Lords of Shadow collection?

Just finished replaying Super Castlevania 4 with its Wii U VC release, I don't think I benefited much from the switch to the NTSC version as opposed to the PAL version, I just got more slowdown. I thought that the game was a bit tougher but upon looking at regional differences I was just playing worse than my last run, I didn't recall Stage 8 being such a pain, spikes everywhere on the long road to the first checkpoint.

Still good stuff but even factoring in the more punishing sections of Dracula's Curse (9-3 you bastard) I prefer how it plays compared to its follow up.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Are you talking about Lords of Shadow 2 ?!

Nope, the collection that includes LoS and MoF. After a quick search it turns that it does not include the OST as I originally thought. Disappointing.

Just finished replaying Super Castlevania 4 with its Wii U VC release, I don't think I benefited much from the switch to the NTSC version as opposed to the PAL version, I just got more slowdown. I thought that the game was a bit tougher but upon looking at regional differences I was just playing worse than my last run, I didn't recall Stage 8 being such a pain, spikes everywhere on the long road to the first checkpoint.

Still good stuff but even factoring in the more punishing sections of Dracula's Curse (9-3 you bastard) I prefer how it plays compared to its follow up.
Same here. Bought it on Friday and gave it a go and found it a bit harder than what I remember. Might be because I havent' touched the game in forever.

Nope, the collection that includes LoS and MoF. After a quick search it turns that it does not include the OST as I originally thought. Disappointing.

yeah the collections don't include any sort of pre-order extra stuff, though MoF HD comes with LoS.2 demo.

Derrick01

Banned
This thread seems more active than the Mirror of Fate HD thread, going by what I've played so far I think I can guess why. It's a competent game but not nearly as good as the other handheld castlevanias are. I feel like they should have just stuck to the Lords of Shadow games and left the handheld territory to Iga.

But that Lords of Shadow 2 demo....holy shit. That game is going to be something truly special I think.

Regiruler

Wait are people doing Judgment matches in here?
I might have to join in with you guys at some point.

Gave a second chance to the Mirror of Fate demo (the 3DS one as I've had it on my system for ages), still not liking the style.
...And now I remembered I still have that OoE hard mode playthrough which I've barely dented.

Okay people, let's share our LoS.2 impressions.

This thread seems more active than the Mirror of Fate HD thread, going by what I've played so far I think I can guess why. It's a competent game but not nearly as good as the other handheld castlevanias are. I feel like they should have just stuck to the Lords of Shadow games and left the handheld territory to Iga.

But that Lords of Shadow 2 demo....holy shit. That game is going to be something truly special I think.

Tell me about it, first thing I noticed that it is not really the E3 build, I mean yeah it is the same demo, but it seems to be extra polished.

The demo was thrilling, from the various comments Dracul says everytime you start the demo, to the combat system being more awesome ((I was skeptical about Chaos Claws, but ended up loving them)), the platforming is much more involving than LoS.1, seriously LoS.2 will be epic I believe.

Also playing the demo with no QTE may seem a bit empty, but it is a nice option, I'll probably play with QTE on my first playthrough, then without them on Paladin.

zroid

Banned
Played SC4 for the first time today. Really good.

Looks and feels amazing on the GamePad, like all SNES games.

Derrick01

Banned
Okay people, let's share our LoS.2 impressions.

Tell me about it, first thing I noticed that it is not really the E3 build, I mean yeah it is the same demo, but it seems to be extra polished.

The demo was thrilling, from the various comments Dracul says everytime you start the demo, to the combat system being more awesome ((I was skeptical about Chaos Claws, but ended up loving them)), the platforming is much more involving than LoS.1, seriously LoS.2 will be epic I believe.

Also playing the demo with no QTE may seem a bit empty, but it is a nice option, I'll probably play with QTE on my first playthrough, then without them on Paladin.

-The first thing I noticed was how great it looked and how smoothly it ran on PS3. Now I'm going to buy it on PC so I wasn't worried about that, but it's a massive improvement over the near-slideshow that LoS1 was on PS3. But I was also surprised by how great the graphics were, the first game mostly relied on its amazing art styles but was not too much of a looker beyond that. This game seems to be mixing both and I was impressed by small things like the lighting the torches gave off.

-I keep forgetting who does Gabriel's voice acting but he's really stepped his game up for this one. Between the demo and the trailers so far he's shown a lot of range that emo-Gabriel didn't have in the 1st game.

-Combat felt the same but it's hard to judge from a tutorial demo. What I didn't like was how enemies don't seem to react to your hits at all and will hit you through them. The problem with this is with the ice sword the particles and flash get in your way and you can't see when an enemy is starting to attack you.

-There was actual platforming in the demo! I was stunned by this. I mean a lot of it is still automatically handled, this isn't Mario all of a sudden, but there were still timing parts to the platforming that were made trickier by trying to dodge that boss' projectiles at the same time you had to judge the jump between opposite moving platforms. That seemed quite a lot for a tutorial in a game like this, but I was pleasantly surprised.

Overall it really made me excited for the game. I was already really looking forward to it since I loved LoS but this demo put it above everything except South Park for me next year. It's pretty funny I'm looking forward to 2 current gen games more than any next gen game next year.

Bedlam

How have you guys been able to download the demo on PSN? I bought MoF but the LoS2 demo doesn't show up in the download list, it's frustrating. Maybe I should mention that I bought it with a German account. :(

Derrick01

Banned
How have you guys been able to download the demo on PSN? I bought MoF but the LoS2 demo doesn't show up in the download list, it's frustrating. Maybe I should mention that I bought it with a German account. :(

Yeah I don't know if the demo is limited by territory or not. For me I bought MoF late last night since I forgot it came out and the LoS2 demo was part of the download package (I'm in the US by the way).

-The first thing I noticed was how great it looked and how smoothly it ran on PS3. Now I'm going to buy it on PC so I wasn't worried about that, but it's a massive improvement over the near-slideshow that LoS1 was on PS3. But I was also surprised by how great the graphics were, the first game mostly relied on its amazing art styles but was not too much of a looker beyond that. This game seems to be mixing both and I was impressed by small things like the lighting the torches gave off.
Agree, when Dracul walks out of the door to where he faces the Golden Armor, you could see the soldier climbing, carrying their torches in the distance, moving into the castle, it looks great.

-I keep forgetting who does Gabriel's voice acting but he's really stepped his game up for this one. Between the demo and the trailers so far he's shown a lot of range that emo-Gabriel didn't have in the 1st game.
That'd be Robert Carlyle, he plays Rumpelstiltskin in a TV show called Once Upon A Time, and let me tell you, he is amazing.

-Combat felt the same but it's hard to judge from a tutorial demo. What I didn't like was how enemies don't seem to react to your hits at all and will hit you through them. The problem with this is with the ice sword the particles and flash get in your way and you can't see when an enemy is starting to attack you.
This one of the good/bad things about LoS enemies, even mid combat they are able to strike you back, I was doing this crazy move with the Chaos Claws on two enemies, I thought I was stunning them, but no, someone waved his soldier at me hitting me.

And as your said, both area attacks for Chaos Claws and Void Sword have particles and whatnot around that you can't really see what the enemy is going to do, though I have to say they look really cool, especially the Chaos Claws 360 hit move.

-There was actual platforming in the demo! I was stunned by this. I mean a lot of it is still automatically handled, this isn't Mario all of a sudden, but there were still timing parts to the platforming that were made trickier by trying to dodge that boss' projectiles at the same time you had to judge the jump between opposite moving platforms. That seemed quite a lot for a tutorial in a game like this, but I was pleasantly surprised.
I was surprised when I died lol, people complained alot about LoS.1 platforming which I didn't find troublesome at all, but here it was better, more involving, liked the whole timing sequences.

Overall it really made me excited for the game. I was already really looking forward to it since I loved LoS but this demo put it above everything except South Park for me next year. It's pretty funny I'm looking forward to 2 current gen games more than any next gen game next year.
This is my most anticipated title ever, cause it do things I always wanted, February can't get soon enough.

There was a problem with the European version, my friend wasn't able to download the demo either, but according to Dave Cox they fixed it, and indeed they did cause my friend was able to download the demo later on, maybe try this
https://twitter.com/CastlevaniaLOS/status/396956819102638081
https://twitter.com/ocelotshino/status/396958073169776640

Wait are people doing Judgment matches in here?
I might have to join in with you guys at some point.

Gave a second chance to the Mirror of Fate demo (the 3DS one as I've had it on my system for ages), still not liking the style.
...And now I remembered I still have that OoE hard mode playthrough which I've barely dented.
No, we're running Castlevania Harmony of Despair. Speaking of Judgment, I wonder if there are still people who play it. It seemed like a decent fighter to me beside the facts that you could infinite with people.

Chinbo37

After all these years, which is the definitive version of Dracula X?

About 5 years back I almost pulled the trigger on a turbo duo and a copy but ended up getting something else at teh time.

I know there is the PSP version ...

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member

Glad you liked it, it's a fantastic game! That music

It's probably the shortest and easiest CV of them all though. I think I played through the VC version in about four hours this week-end

I was just going to come in here and say this. 21 years I've had a SNES but never once played it prior to the Wii U VC release. Love it so far, especially the soundtrack.

ChamplooJones

Formerly Momotaro
Just gonna bump to remind people that the Lords of Shadow Collection comes out today.

I know I'll be making a Gamestop trip after class.

Arkanius

Should I buy the Mirrors of Fate HD for Xbox Live Arcade?
It's not on Steam, and I'm really interested in getting to know what clusterfuck happened to the story in that title.

Should I buy the Mirrors of Fate HD for Xbox Live Arcade?
It's not on Steam, and I'm really interested in getting to know what clusterfuck happened to the story in that title.

well I believe Dave Cox teased that Mirror of Fate HD is coming to PC as well, but I am not sure when.

Marz

Bedlam

Voror

I'm sorely tempted to get the collection, but I already own LoS and have played MoF on the 3ds though I suppose an HD version might be nice. The dlc would normally tip It for me but I've always read that he dlc is very disappointing.

I really want to true that demo though as this game is surprisingly one of the those I am most looking forward to.

Yup, it's fixed.

Downloaded it, played it, blown away by it. Holy shit that was good.
Glad it worked, LoS.2 Demo is really something.

I'm sorely tempted to get the collection, but I already own LoS and have played MoF on the 3ds though I suppose an HD version might be nice. The dlc would normally tip It for me but I've always read that he dlc is very disappointing.

I really want to true that demo though as this game is surprisingly one of the those I am most looking forward to.

well personally I am on the same boat, except I didn't play MoF -watched it on youtube though-, to be honest I have a feeling Konami will make a Sage Collection of Lords of Shadow for Next Gen, I'll get LoS.2 for the PS3, and wait to have the whole package on Next Gen whenever Konami does it.

injurai

Banned
I'm playing SotN right now actually. I guess we are half-way through this thread XD.

Whats the best way to play Rondo? Through X Chronicles? I sort of don't want to unlock it by playing the 2.5D remake though...

Kenka

What is wrong with SOTN roms ?
I've tried to emulate the game on both ePSXe and PPSSPP and both times the ROM seems to be corrupted. I am pulling my hair in wrath.

What a terrible night to have a Gaming thread in the OT.
Something something vanquished the GAF.

I actually just got Portrait of Ruin and I'm enjoying it quite a bit. I heard this game wasn't the best out of the DS game though. Why is that? I've already beat Dawn of Sorrow and Order of Eccalsia and though they were good games.

Edit - Why is this thread in the off topic section?

injurai

Banned
What is wrong with SOTN roms ?
I've tried to emulate the game on both ePSXe and PPSSPP and both times the ROM seems to be corrupted. I am pulling my hair in wrath.

Something something vanquished the GAF.

I'm using an .iso
I'd advise doing the same.

Top Bottom