• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania Community Thread | What is a man?!

Piccoro

So, last night I finally finished Castlevania Chronicles! (Arrange Mode, Normal difficulty).
The PSN version never arrived here in Europe, and I had never played it before, so I decided to purchase it from the US store.
The game is very hard, but it was so satisfying to defeat Death and Dracula in the end :)
One of the best Castlevanias I ever played and the best remake of Simon's vanilla Castlevania IMO (with Super Castlevania IV in a close 2nd. place). The arrange mode music remixes are God-like and the level design is awesome.
Next, I think I'm going to try and finish Castlevania the Adventure ReBirth on the Wii.

So, last night I finally finished Castlevania Chronicles! (Arrange Mode, Normal difficulty).
The PSN version never arrived here in Europe, and I had never played it before, so I decided to purchase it from the US store.
The game is very hard, but it was so satisfying to defeat Death and Dracula in the end :)
One of the best Castlevanias I ever played and the best remake of Simon's vanilla Castlevania IMO (with Super Castlevania IV in a close 2nd. place). The arrange mode music remixes are God-like and the level design is awesome.
Next, I think I'm going to try and finish Castlevania the Adventure ReBirth on the Wii.
The bosses weren't a problem to me. It was getting through the stages that was a problem to me. I think I began getting trouble around the Clock Tower stage because I usually don't remember enemy/hazard placements. I think it didn't help playing and Hard either but the game is good.

Guys look what I got off Craigslist. Traded my extra copy of FF3 and oh it was worth it!

photo_zps7b1cb11a.jpg

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I wonder if they're going to bring back some of the awesome, classic bosses in any future LoS (well, future Castlevania) game. Specifically, I'd love to see Legion or some of the enormous demons in SotN or for instance, something like the last boss Menace in Dawn of Sorrow.

Natetan

Just beat sotn in the 99 luck mode

Dat ending music 'just like the wiiiind' *barf*

Some of the weapons are pretty cool. Game really is like super metroid in the sense that it's short and once u finish I just want to play it through one more time.

Darkmakaimura

Some of the weapons are pretty cool. Game really is like super metroid in the sense that it's short and once u finish I just want to play it through one more time.
One of the best games ever made. Did you get the true ending? Because the game isn't that short and I've played through it more than once.

Frost_Ace

Hey take that back :mad:

I love that song lol

Natetan

One of the best games ever made. Did you get the true ending? Because the game isn't that short and I've played through it more than once.

Maria didn't chase after me :(

I don't think I can be bothered. Grinding enemies for rare weapon drops is tedious

I think my one complaint about the game is so many items you never get a chance to properly use. There is enough weapons for a game 10 times as long as it actually is.

I did enjoy using the replicator and spamming sires power or whatever and flame stars on enemies. Also alucard shield rod is pretty game breaking but so fun. :)

I also love the 'alucart' status.

graywords

Maria didn't chase after me :(

I don't think I can be bothered. Grinding enemies for rare weapon drops is tedious

No need to grind for rare weapon drops, the ending is based on map completion percentage.

It's more challenging (and arguably more fun) going through the game with a knuckle weapon or even your fists. :)

graywords

Love it! They took the PSX version amazingly far with the OOB map glitches.

At the time when much of that stuff was being discovered and pushed, I only had the Saturn version, as you can see from my pathetic screenshot above (from 2003). Would love to try and push that version further, if I can ever find the time and patience again.

How do you do that?

I'm totally hooked on this game like super metroid. I just keep restarting and playing again. I'm just getting the bat dash down now.
Some of it is done with the Heart Refresh glitch. Don't really know too much about the other methods as I have not tried them to get a full white map.

Darkmakaimura

Futuristic Mechs in LoS2?

1383232416_172652.172653_12_.jpg

Was going to reply in the LoS2 thread but I already did twice previously and don't want to make back-to-back duplicate posts. Also not sure if worth a thread so I'll post it here for now. I think this is rather bizarre.

I think it's safe to assume the mech like things are likely related to the modern day sections, either that or the Toy Maker has stepped up his game considerably.

or Kojima productions

Darkmakaimura

I think it's safe to assume the mech like things are likely related to the modern day sections, either that or the Toy Maker has stepped up his game considerably.

or Kojima productions
I don't think Kojima productions has anything to do with LoS2, however.

or Kojima productions
I thought he was freed in MoF by the end?
But yeah it looks like they will be modern day Titans.

I don't think Kojima productions has anything to do with LoS2, however.
Actually neither do I, Kojima just worked with the whole mech thing there.

I thought he was freed in MoF by the end?
But yeah it looks like they will be modern day Titans.

I'm not really sure what the deal with the Toy Maker is, I figured he just spent his time devising deadly contraptions for the hell of it.

Darkmakaimura

So is LoS2 really the last Castlevania game in the LoS universe? Because.... I really hope not. I don't want either another reboot or the series to die.

I'd wager that it'll be the last LoS game, Mercury Steam don't appear to have any plans for more of them but who knows, maybe it becomes an unexpected hit causing Konami to keep pushing it perhaps with another developer if need be, though I really don't see that happening.
I kind of like how they're able to tell this alternative spin on the whole Belmont and Dracula story in just three games and perhaps give the saga a definitive ending in this version at least.

How the series progresses afterwards? with the way Konami are these days I have no idea.

Darkmakaimura

I'd wager that it'll be the last LoS game, Mercury Steam don't appear to have any plans for more of them but who knows, maybe it becomes an unexpected hit causing Konami to keep pushing it perhaps with another developer if need be, though I really don't see that happening.
I kind of like how they're able to tell this alternative spin on the whole Belmont and Dracula story in just three games and perhaps give the saga a definitive ending in this version at least.

How the series progresses afterwards? with the way Konami are these days I have no idea.
I think it was already stated in another thread that LoS2 will in fact be MercurySteam's last Castlevania game and for future installments, Konami would be looking at other developers. I don't know if that means potential sequels or spin-offs in the same universe or another reboot of the series but I'm certainly hoping it's not the latter.

Edit: Here's the article.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 producer Dave Cox has dropped hints that Konami is looking beyond Mercury Steam’s game by stressing that the publisher has to make further improvements in the ‘next one’. He added that Mercury Steam will not be involved in the unannounced project.

Confirming that Mercrury Steam is moving away from Castlevania after Lords of Shadow 2 is done and dusted, Cox continued, “I think if you’ve got something to say, you should just say it, and when you’re done, just shut up. And we’ve got something to say.

Frolow

Banned
I bought Dawn of Sorrow yesterday. Is it essential I play through Aria of Sorrow beforehand, or does Dawn of Sorrow do a good job at getting you up to speed on the plot?

I played Dawn before Aria and I felt it was fine, there's really not much plot to speak of.
Considering the way some Aria fans act like Dawn was a most sorrowful sequel usually because of what I find to be minor gripes then maybe it's better to play them in reverse order anyway.

I bought Dawn of Sorrow yesterday. Is it essential I play through Aria of Sorrow beforehand, or does Dawn of Sorrow do a good job at getting you up to speed on the plot?
Well DoS has a summery in the pause menu of what happened in Aria if you want to read it before playing the gamefully..

injurai

Banned
Futuristic Mechs in LoS2?

1383232416_172652.172653_12_.jpg

Was going to reply in the LoS2 thread but I already did twice previously and don't want to make back-to-back duplicate posts. Also not sure if worth a thread so I'll post it here for now. I think this is rather bizarre.

MGS and Castlevania in the same universe?

So Vamp was lying about the nanomachines!!! OMG Snake is a vampire who is dying because he isn't thirsting on blood!!!

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod

Not really, the plot isn't all that complex. I did like Aria of Sorrow better, but I played it many years before Dawn, and I played Dawn after Portrait of Ruin and Order of Ecclesia, so unbiased, I certainly am not.

Kokonoe

Banned
CASTLEVANIA BLOODLINES IS BRUTAL, HOLY CRAP.

I'm at area 2 and like you fight this one boss that'll drown you, then you have these two birds right after, then you fight this HUGE ball and chain boss, and I think that's the final boss, but NOOOOOO, a huge guy with a axe pops out. Okay, cool. I beat the level.

NOPE.

There's still more level and then there's a boss at the end of that! Not only that but there are medusa heads and you can drown and then you have to platform more to the end with those hoppy things. Then right before the boss there are like 4 minotaurs stampeding back and forth around the entrance to the boss room and I got in there and died cause I walked in the water but managed to beat when I got there again. The boss you gotta break its parts.

I'm using the spear guy.

Retro

I'm at area 2 and like you fight this one boss that'll drown you, then you have these two birds right after, then you fight this HUGE ball and chain boss, and I think that's the final boss, but NOOOOOO, a huge guy with a axe pops out. Okay, cool. I beat the level.

NOPE.

There's still more level and then there's a boss at the end of that! Not only that but there are medusa heads and you can drown and then you have to platform more to the end with those hoppy things. Then right before the boss there are like 4 minotaurs stampeding back and forth around the entrance to the boss room and I got in there and died cause I walked in the water but managed to beat when I got there again. The boss you gotta break its parts.

Yeah, but the music is awesome so it's worth repeating.

The guy who drowns you is pretty easy, he can't actually damage you I don't think. Just run back and forth and mess him up. Mace Armor, you can get in close under his swing, just watch for the jump. You can't duck under the Axe Armor's attack, but once he does his jump attack you can just wail on him.

Medusa section is all about hanging loose on the solid platforms until the water moves down far enough to make it to the next one. After that it's pretty much straight platforming (watch the little suicidal mace guys, they can jump at you and knock you off). For the boss, I believe the far left is the safe spot for avoiding rocks. Otherwise, bring an axe or boomerang and go for the face.

I'm using the spear guy.

Heh, Eric is easy mode, he has the multi-direction attack (well, without having to jump).

I love Bloodlines. I didn't have an SNES until I was older, so without nostalgia helping Super Castlevania IV out, Bloodlines seriously gives it a run for its money. Music is great (there isn't a stage with uninteresting music), characters are interesting, levels are nicely paced and have a lot of really good themes and design. Also,
the swaying tower in Stage 3 and the skewed/inverted sections in Stage 6
beat the Mode 7 sections of SCIV hands down.

The only part I don't like is the attempt to tie Castlevania to Stoker's novel.

NOPE.

I'm using the spear guy.
Bwahahahaha Man that stage was eaay. Thr only difficult part from that game was the last chapter. Yeah I think what Retro daid is true that Eric can multi attack. I think he also had this wierd move where he spins the Alucard spear left and right if you hold the attack button and hit Left and Right quickly but I never figured out what that did. He also has a super jump I think. Been a while since I played beat the game with both characters which you will have to do if you want to beat all boss and see all areas of certain chapters.

Retro

Bwahahahaha Man that stage was eaay. Thr only difficult part from that game was the last chapter. Yeah I think what Retro daid is true that Eric can multi attack. I think he also had this wierd move where he spins the Alucard spear left and right if you hold the attack button and hit Left and Right quickly but I never figured out what that did. He also has a super jump I think. Been a while since I played beat the game with both characters which you will have to do if you want to beat all boss and see all areas of certain chapters.

Yeah, the spear spin thing is kind of weird, if I remember right you hold down the attack button then quickly tap the opposite direction you're facing while letting go of attack. It was mostly useless since it was hard to pull off, but it looked neat.

The super jump was easier to pull off, and required in places where Eric and John's paths separate (since John's unique move is to grapple with the whip, allowing him to travel over larger horizontal gaps instead of vertical ones). For that you hold down until Eric starts flashing/shaking, then hit jump to pole vault.

Levyne

Banned
So I ended up playing and beating Lords of Shadow within the last week. FIrst Castlevania game. The short of it is that I really liked it. I hopes that's not taboo amongst you guys that actually know what a real Castlevania game is >_>.

I burped out a review on Steam if there's any interest. Well, it's more just extended impressions.

I have a friend that keeps bugging me to play SotN so that will probably be next whenever I can find a window for it.

And, oh, hello Retro. :D

Retro

So I ended up playing and beating Lords of Shadow within the last week. FIrst Castlevania game. The short of it is that I really liked it. I hopes that's not taboo amongst you guys that actually know what a real Castlevania game is >_>.

I can't speak for everyone, but it's always seemed to me that Lords of Shadow was well-received by the Castlevania community even though it's essentially a standalone reboot that only very lightly touches on the previous games' lore. As a game, it's actually pretty good, but it often feels like a completely different game with a Castlevania paint job. If you strip out the references to the Belmont family and Dracula, there's not much left besides the second, Castle-themed act that connects them. The combat in other games is no where as flashy / tedious. Most enemies are one-hit affairs.

I have a friend that keeps bugging me to play SotN so that will probably be next whenever I can find a window for it.

And, oh, hello Retro. :D

Hi. Am I the friend that keeps bugging you, or do you know other people with excellent taste? I'd also recommend SCIV (Wii / Wii U VC or SNES), Bloodlines (Genesis), and Rondo of Blood (PC Engine / Wii VC). If you like any of those, you can dig deeper into the old school, tough as nails NES games (CV1 and III). If you like Symphony of the Night (and you probably will, I don't know many who didn't at least like it) there's maybe three or four games on the GBA / DS that crib very heavily from it and don't feel limited by the platform (Aria of Sorrow, Dawn of Sorrow and Order of Ecclesia would be my picks).

Feindflug

Bought Mirrors of Fate yesterday on that sale and downloaded the LoS2 demo, an hour later I was still playing the demo. I was really surprised at the graphics (looks stunning for a last gen title) but most of all at the massive improvement on the frame-rate and what seemed a much better hit detection.

I was not a fan of LoS but if this is an indication of how the final game will turn out then we might see one of the most improved sequels of the last years.

Kokonoe

Banned
Yeah, but the music is awesome so it's worth repeating.

The guy who drowns you is pretty easy, he can't actually damage you I don't think. Just run back and forth and mess him up. Mace Armor, you can get in close under his swing, just watch for the jump. You can't duck under the Axe Armor's attack, but once he does his jump attack you can just wail on him.

Medusa section is all about hanging loose on the solid platforms until the water moves down far enough to make it to the next one. After that it's pretty much straight platforming (watch the little suicidal mace guys, they can jump at you and knock you off). For the boss, I believe the far left is the safe spot for avoiding rocks. Otherwise, bring an axe or boomerang and go for the face.

Heh, Eric is easy mode, he has the multi-direction attack (well, without having to jump).

I love Bloodlines. I didn't have an SNES until I was older, so without nostalgia helping Super Castlevania IV out, Bloodlines seriously gives it a run for its money. Music is great (there isn't a stage with uninteresting music), characters are interesting, levels are nicely paced and have a lot of really good themes and design. Also,
the swaying tower in Stage 3 and the skewed/inverted sections in Stage 6
beat the Mode 7 sections of SCIV hands down.

The only part I don't like is the attempt to tie Castlevania to Stoker's novel.

Yeah, he is pretty easy! I just think the endurance round on the next part is pretty challenging. (for me anyways!)

Oh, I'm lovin' the game. It honestly gets better (and much harder) as it progresses. I stopped a few days ago cause I got to this part with Gargoyles and trying to platform these platforms. I got so far and I think to the boss but I died. lol Eric's spear jump is nice, I love it.

You're definitely right on the OST, it's blowing my mind at how good it is. Genesis music can really be amazing if done correctly.

2mlg4me

I also didn't know he had that move. I'll have to try that out!

Retro

You're definitely right on the OST, it's blowing my mind at how good it is. Genesis music can really be amazing if done correctly.

Michiru Yamane's first Castlevania score. Like SotN, there isn't really a bad track in the whole bunch (well, unless you count "I am the Wind").

Top Bottom